the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

Hey Kevin.... thanks for going to Mar A Largo to suck cock for this...  and endangering the fucking country you whore!

The really, really, really good news.  Is that in a few days the millennials feeds will begin to trend about a joke happening int he GOP leadership.  They already think that the GOP is a racist and bigoted party, Republican "leadership" clearly has the dumb box checked, and I for one and hoping millennials get their accurate opinions of the GOP reinforced.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Remember there are about a dozen or so GOP reps who come from districts that Biden won. Those are the ones who will keep people like Jordan or MTG from becoming speaker.

Yeah—I don’t know who is going to be Speaker. But I do know it won’t be either McCarthy or Jordan.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Is there a limit to how many times the house can vote on a speaker or could  this last until summer?

there is no limit.  i believe the last one (1923) took 9 ballots and the one before that (1855) took 133 ballots and over two months.

most of these (like 13/15) took place before the civil war and before the two-party system took over.

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

@henrygandorfYeah, that's bullshit. Dems in disarray ain't what we saw today.

Did not know this. They'll never do it but C-SPAN ought to be in charge of the cameras full time.

I cannot, as a former House staffer and professional lobbyist, stress this enough. There was literally nothing in the cspan footage that indicated the Dems are breaking or wavering in the least.  They were goofing off, playing grabass in the well, just ear to ear smiles.  The CBC members were giving valedictory votes for Jefferies into the 3rd round. 

The only thing that caught my eye was Scalise wandered into the Dem well for a solid half hour. Bro hugs and shakes. Chatting up Dem ranking members. Just enjoying himself all around. 

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What you aren’t getting is that they aren’t in charge. Democrats have the plurality and should seek to maximize the value and durability of that position. That may mean a deal, or blowing up deals.

Ok smart guy, explain to us how they make a deal with people who won't honor deals. 

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Who said they needed to make a deal?

You said they should try to make a deal. I said there is no point in trying to make a deal because a deal would never be honored. Therefore the best thing is to do whatever necessary to stoke Republican hatred against each other. Don't even talk about a deal with anyone. Just stoke flames whatever way possible. 

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Therefore the best thing is to do whatever necessary to stoke Republican hatred against each other. Don't even talk about a deal with anyone. Just stoke flames whatever way possible. 

or, hear me out, talk about a deal with everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You said they should try to make a deal. I said there is no point in trying to make a deal because a deal would never be honored. Therefore the best thing is to do whatever necessary to stoke Republican hatred against each other. Don't even talk about a deal with anyone. Just stoke flames whatever way possible. 

No. I said somebody should tell them a deal is to be had- to make them an offer and see where the offers lands and how.

The best way to divide them is to make them suspicious at an individual level of being left off the boat. 
For example - Jordan needs the McCarthy people and McCarthy needs Jordan himself. So I suggested an offer to McCarthy’s people that requires a Democrat Judiciary chair.  Why? Because:

1) it’s a nonstarter 

2) that’s the job Jordan wants and has been promised

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

If this isn’t a perfect encapsulation of GOP dysfunction, I don’t know what is.  “We’re going to force it on someone who doesn’t even want it.  He’d be perfect!”

well if there's one thing Jordan knows, it's getting comfortable with people having things they don't want forced it in them.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No. I said somebody should tell them a deal is to be had- to make them an offer and see where the offers lands and how.

The best way to divide them is to make them suspicious at an individual level of being left off the boat. 
For example - Jordan needs the McCarthy people and McCarthy needs Jordan himself. So I suggested an offer to McCarthy’s people that requires a Democrat Judiciary chair.  Why? Because:

1) it’s a nonstarter 

so fucking aggy.

40 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

also, I'd have to ask my friend Art Vandelay for a snappy comeback to this like "But Congressman, this is an Arby's."  He's asking one of the most prominent architects to play sheriff, bust down the door, and move all of McCarthy's shit out of there?  

From my sibling who Dennis Hastert hired and who was a longtime Associate Parliamentarian of the House of Representatives. For years she sat in that little desk next to the speaker with her finger on the mute button, enforcing house precedent:

“As someone who has seen what an ordinary transition to a new House is supposed to look like, this dysfunction is blowing my mind. The American people elected a majority that literally is unable to govern!”

• Hook 'Em 3

1) it’s a nonstarter 

It seems like that would tend to bring Jordan to heel rather than divide.

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

While it's a good time to be driving wedges into GOP divides, someone should ask Gaetz why he didn't write a similar letter about Biden in the White House. He clearly supports Democrat Biden's victory more than he supports the Republican party leader. 

• Hook 'Em 2

McCarthy still has a suicide vest, and let’s see if he pulls the cord tomorrow before he loses any more ground. He can have his voters change the rules to a plurality-wins vote.  And that puts the Jordan 20 in a spot of either voting for McCarthy or, in effect, electing Jeffries.

Do you think there are 10 who hate Kevin McCarthy that much? Because I don’t.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

McCarthy still has a suicide vest, and let’s see if he pulls the cord tomorrow before he loses any more ground. He can have his voters change the rules to a plurality-wins vote.  And that puts the Jordan 20 in a spot of either voting for McCarthy or, in effect, electing Jeffries.

Do you think there are 10 who hate Kevin McCarthy that much? Because I don’t.

If he does that then I think Jeffries becomes speaker.

I say that because I'm not sure the 20 against McCarthy are actually interested in actually being in power. They just want to obstruct and cause chaos.

Edited by The Dog
  • Like 3