the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And Fox News has given up and is covering the Idaho murder suspect now.

Well, he may have a better chance of becoming Speaker than McCarthy, so......yeah.

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Dems shouldn’t do anything that can potentially speed up this process. They should continue voting for Jeffries and watching the republicans squirm for days if need be

Correct.  When your opponent is in the process of repeatedly shooting himself in the dick, your only job is to make sure he doesn't run out of bullet anytime soon.

• Hook 'Em 5

46 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Now, if a handful of McCarthy votes start going over to Jordan on the next ballot (or start peeling off and go to Scalise or someone else), then this starts to become feasible.

How so?  That wouldn’t change the votes for jefferies or the total votes cast for a person.  Numerator and denominator both static. 

Jordan is a moron but he’s been planning this coup from the beginning, making it look like he was forced to run. “Aw shucks”. 

If I were the Democrats, I’d give McCarthy votes in exchange for something, so that the GOP will be completely disfunctional for two years. They don’t want that nut Jordan as speaker. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Jordan is a moron but he’s been planning this coup from the beginning, making it look like he was forced to run. “Aw shucks”. 

If I were the Democrats, I’d give McCarthy votes in exchange for something, so that the GOP will be completely disfunctional for two years. They don’t want that nut Jordan as speaker. 

What would you trust McCarthy to actually give up? Why would you trust his word once he was speaker? He'd be rewarded by the lunatic faction for going back on whatever he promised.  You haven't thought this through. He promises not to impeach Biden? Tomorrow 5 republicans vote to remove him as speaker. That's his entire tenure if he wins this. He literally won't be allowed to follow through on anything because the lunatic fringe will have a barb wire noose around his fucking balls the entire term and Chip Roy and Lauren Bobert will be taking turns gleefully holding the leash. McCarthy is toast. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

But only after you are convinced that there is no compromise candidate to be found with moderate/Biden district Republicans.   Perhaps a certain former highly ranked Republican daughter of a VP that was recently ousted from the House.

59 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Ok--I just did the math, and it's not currently possible.  If the Democrats had eight members vote "Present," the vote would be 204-203-19.  That is a total of 426 casting ballots, which means one would need 214 to win.  So, you're right.

Now, if a handful of McCarthy votes start going over to Jordan on the next ballot (or start peeling off and go to Scalise or someone else), then this starts to become feasible.

Every vote that abstains means .5 less votes required for the majority. But if the only abstaining members are on the dem side, they will lose 1 whole vote for ever abstention. It is a race that can't be won like you're suggesting. 

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Every vote that abstains means .5 less votes required for the majority. But if the only abstaining members are on the dem side, they will lose 1 whole vote for ever abstention. It is a race that can't be won like you're suggesting. 

Best Stannis Fewer GIFs | Gfycat

Will Jordan vote for himself?

ETA:  Nope.  He's still presenting the facade that he doesn't want it.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What would you trust McCarthy to actually give up? Why would you trust his word once he was speaker? He'd be rewarded by the lunatic faction for going back on whatever he promised.  You haven't thought this through. He promises not to impeach Biden? Tomorrow 5 republicans vote to remove him as speaker. That's his entire tenure if he wins this. He literally won't be allowed to follow through on anything because the lunatic fringe will have a barb wire noose around his fucking balls the entire term and Chip Roy and Lauren Bobert will be taking turns gleefully holding the leash. McCarthy is toast. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

But only after you are convinced that there is no compromise candidate to be found with moderate/Biden district Republicans.   Perhaps a certain former highly ranked Republican daughter of a VP that was recently ousted from the House.

If you have a better alternative, you do that, of course. I’m talking about the most likely scenario forming, which is Jordan as speaker. Dem’s would be better off with an impotent liar like McCarthy even if he didn’t deliver what he promised. They could get enough republican support on a few bills, whereas once Jordan is in, they get nothing at all ever. Jordan is way more savvy, as he’s showing right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah Hayden and I used to live close enough that we shopped at the same grocery store.  I'm still in the same zip code but further east.  As a result of moving east by 3/4 a mile, I'm actually represented by Doggett.  Of course Doggett was my rep when I moved to Austin (or shortly after) because back then Austin just had 1 rep.  They didn't gerrymander the place up until they did that mid cycle redistricting so they could fuck up the Dems.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

So since I don't know everyone in the house. How big of a Shitbag is Scalise. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being Chris Sinunu and 10 being Trump/Jordan/Greene et al. 

at what point on the scale of 1 - 10 does the threshold for "supported trump" exist? because he's north of that at least.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

If you have a better alternative, you do that, of course. I’m talking about the most likely scenario forming, which is Jordan as speaker. Dem’s would be better off with an impotent liar like McCarthy even if he didn’t deliver what he promised. They could get enough republican support on a few bills, whereas once Jordan is in, they get nothing at all ever. Jordan is way more savvy, as he’s showing right now. 

I don't agree with this.  If you're the Democratic Party right now, your goal is to fatally split the GQP.  And Gym Jordan goes a lot further toward that goal than does Kevin McCarthy.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I can't believe I'm ever having to even consider Jordan as savvy unless the context is him covering up rape, but you're suggesting that in this scenario it's better to have Doug Mastrono win the election than someone competent in their ratfuckery? Man I guess.

Maybe part of me thinks there's Rs that would defect and form a coalition with Ds before that happens. One that doesn't include McCarthy.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

at what point on the scale of 1 - 10 does the threshold for "supported trump" exist? because he's north of that at least.

I mean, it's a pile of turd burglers, so lets say "supported Trump is 5, fully realizing that 90% of Republicans are a 6 or above.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I was afraid that was the case. 

1 minute ago, pacman said:

Scalise is a Louisiana Republican, which means he has plenty of KKK undertones. Solid 8.

Well shit, if I'd known that I wouldn't have bothered asking the question. 

3 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yeah Hayden and I used to live close enough that we shopped at the same grocery store.  I'm still in the same zip code but further east.  As a result of moving east by 3/4 a mile, I'm actually represented by Doggett.  Of course Doggett was my rep when I moved to Austin (or shortly after) because back then Austin just had 1 rep.  They didn't gerrymander the place up until they did that mid cycle redistricting so they could fuck up the Dems.

i'm very diversified in my hebs now. still based at slaughter/manchaca, but i could head to escarpment for that prime and wagyu or i can get a whole hog's head at my heb. they all offer something different.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

If you're the Democratic Party right now, your goal is to fatally split the GQP.  And Gym Jordan goes a lot further toward that goal than does Kevin McCarthy.

Completely disagree.  McCarthy winning Speaker thanks to the votes of a few Dems would be far more damaging to the GOP.  Now you've got a RINO as Speaker!  And they'll be trying to get him recalled every single week.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, hayden_horn said:

i'm very diversified in my hebs now. still based at slaughter/manchaca, but i could head to escarpment for that prime and wagyu or i can get a whole hog's head at my heb. they all offer something different.

Yep I still go to that Slaughter/Manchaca HEB because they have a spice blend that's awesome that isn't carried at my brand new HEB on south congress/slaughter.  And neither of them carry tamales of the caliber of my local Fiesta.  

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Completely disagree.  McCarthy winning Speaker thanks to the votes of a few Dems would be far more damaging to the GOP.  Now you've got a RINO as Speaker!  And they'll be trying to get him recalled every single week.

until he just appeases the nutballs at every turn.  which is what will happen.  do you really think he's going to feel embarrassed or some sort of shame?  lol.  he only cares about winning.  if he wants it, then by definition, we should be trying to keep it from him.

run it back.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So since I don't know everyone in the house. How big of a Shitbag is Scalise. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being Chris Sinunu and 10 being Trump/Jordan/Greene et al. 

Behind closed doors, he’s Brian Kemp or Doug Ducey. Very personable and sane. Publically, he’s probably a 7.5 on your scale.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, pacman said:

Scalise is a Louisiana Republican, which means he has plenty of KKK undertones. Solid 8.

David Duke‘s old voting grounds. He has had zero problems speaking at white supremacist groups and refusing to tamp down any crazy Maga shit that is brought up. He is just as loathsome as the worst of them - but far more cunning and competent.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can't believe I'm ever having to even consider Jordan as savvy unless the context is him covering up rape, but you're suggesting that in this scenario it's better to have Doug Mastrono win the election than someone competent in their ratfuckery? Man I guess.

Maybe part of me thinks there's Rs that would defect and form a coalition with Ds before that happens. One that doesn't include McCarthy.

Oh he’s a moron. But he plays to the maga crowd and has been orchestrating this all in the background. 

If the Dems really had their shit together, they would have already worked out a deal with a few R’s for their preferred Chair. That would have been hilarious to see someone who’s moderate get the speakership from out of nowhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1