the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

What’s also interesting about this situation is the complete impotence of Fox News on the topic. In the days of the great satan Roger Ailes, he would have run negative stories and dig up dirt on all of the usurpers until they relented. It also shows how weak McCarthy is too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

CNN said there was scuttlebutt that there were more R's who were voting yes in Round 1, but prepared to change to a No Vote in later rounds as the math continues to change to prolong this and continue to weaken McCarthy. Sounds like Jim Jordan just wants to jump right in and make that early move, though 

2 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

How many of the Anti-McCarthy Rs change their vote on the second round?

This is the 1000000000 dollar question. If most of them break back to McCarthy, then he can stare down the Biggs people and say we will do this all night.  If more people break from McCarthy on the second round, tho, it’s katiebarthedoor 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

root for the shitshow, people.  it will be a blue fucking wipeout in 2024.

at least until gas goes back up over $4 a gallon during the next two summers

Edited by elfenix
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

CNN said there was scuttlebutt that there were more R's who were voting yes in Round 1, but prepared to change to a No Vote in later rounds as the math continues to change to prolong this and continue to weaken McCarthy. Sounds like Jim Jordan just wants to jump right in and make that early move, though 

yeah, i heard the same thing. basically, death by 10s of cuts one at a time. 

i don't know how long they can sustain this, but i'm loving every minute of it. reap the fucking whirlwind, mccarthy. you deserve this. you made this.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Gym Jordan coming to the podium now.

popcorn.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i never would've envisioned a party with zero platform, no real policy positions, and an aimless political directional strategy would have this much trouble uniting behind a speaker candidate.

I never envisioned a time when the teller of such an egregious, pernicious lie to such an inappropriate group of people would have any hope of attaining a prominent office of any kind.

CNN — 

During a private meeting last summer, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy told two police officers who defended the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, and the mother of a third who died after the riot, that former President Donald Trump had no idea his supporters were carrying out the attack, according to newly obtained audio of the conversation.

Testimony to the House Select Committee on January 6 revealed that Trump watched television for hours as the rioters engaged in a brutal fight with law enforcement.

But McCarthy maintained Trump was unaware of the violence inside the Capitol when he spoke with Trump by phone that afternoon. He also appeared to take credit for getting the then-President to make a late-afternoon public statement urging his supporters to “go home,” according to one of the meetings’ attendees, then-DC Metropolitan police officer Michael Fanone.

“I’m just telling you from my phone call, I don’t know that he did know that,” McCarthy said during the June 2021 meeting about Trump’s knowledge of the fighting, according to audio secretly recorded by Fanone at the time and detailed in his new book titled, “Hold the Line: The Insurrection and One Cop’s Battle for America’s Soul.”

We're all shocked to remember that the above is in conflict with the below:

Back in February, Herrera-Beutler, R-Wash., detailed what McCarthy had told her about his Jan. 6 call with Trump. Here’s the key portion of a statement she tweeted on Feb. 12:

"When McCarthy finally reached the president on Jan. 6 and asked him to publicly and forcefully call off the riot, the president initially repeated the falsehood that it was antifa that had breached the Capitol. McCarthy refuted that and told the president that these were Trump supporters. That's when, according to McCarthy, the president said, ‘Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are.’

"Since I publicly announced my decision to vote for impeachment, I have shared these details in countless conversations with constituents and colleagues, and multiple times through the media and other public forums."

He's a known liar, sycophant to tyranny, and protector of anti-republic conspirators and actors. And he barely loses a first ballot for Speaker of the House.

And, there aren't really many better alternatives in the GOP.

Stunning to consider, or, at least, it would have been a few decades ago.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

actually, i need to amend this.  they are the "no" party.  they are the party of obstruction.  it's much easier to do this from the minority, so i understand why there's so much confusion here.

this is right on-brand.

As it is clear that the upcoming Congress will be an absolute shit show without any ability to do anything substantive, because of the bickering and petty in-fighting, the question is this: who will the American voting public blame for that?  Biden and the Democrats - or whoever the new Republican Speaker is and his party of sloth toes, pedophiles and former sex workers?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

As it is clear that the upcoming Congress will be an absolute shit show without any ability to do anything substantive, because of the bickering and petty in-fighting, the question is this: who will the American voting public blame for that?  Biden and the Democrats - or whoever the new Republican Speaker is and his party of sloth toes, pedophiles and former sex workers?

George Soros spent good money making sure people like Boebert and Gaetz got into office so that they’d destroy the GOP from within.  Trump supports McCarthy and that’s that   

That’s the story I’m telling MAGA relatives.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Former?

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Gym Jordan coming to the podium now.

popcorn.gif

I'm back at work now, so I'm hoping yall keep up the play by play.

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I legitimately can't even think of a reason she is even humoring, much less deigning to speak with that fucking toad. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

(assuming they ever elect a speaker) if they spend the next two years flinging poo at each other, prioritizing hunter biden investigations, and trying to impeach joe biden over nonsense, america will notice.  especially after promising to attack gas prices, border issues, inflation, ukraine, etc. 

2022 actually gave me some hope.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What would happen, hypothetically, if Jim Jordan got up there and nominated Dolly Parton. And then everyone voted for her, because we all love Dolly Parton.

She gives out free books to kids, she would be considered demon spawn by them

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

McCarthy didn't get enough votes. Jordan didn't get enough votes. Biggs didn't get enough votes. There is only one man who can unite all factions. It's time for George Santos to rendezvous with destiny. 

He’s already gotten enough votes and tweeted his thanks for being selected speaker. 

• Haha 2

If Mccarthy somehow manages to eke out a win, he will immediately try to take revenge on his tormentors. Except he can’t - because he’s hanging on by such an arrow margin. They’ll just demand a Speaker vote the next day.   The Maggot wing will torment him on every single vote and threaten a new Speaker election every time they don’t get their way.

If McCarthy can’t win then someone like Scalia will be the Speaker and an embittered Mccarthy and his supporters will be there to ensure that the new Speaker does not succeed.   It’s not like he cares about the good of the country.