the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

20 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I think (or perhaps I'm just hopeful) that this is most likely scenario but it might take a bit for it to shake out.  One of those speaker candidates is going to feel safe enough in a primary to court the Dems and they only need a small coalition of their colleagues to create a majority. 

I feel like if it starts going another 10-15 rounds of voting, the GOP won't want to do that shit again.  Don Bacon or Brian Fitzpatrick just needs to agree to be the consensus candidate.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Is that your own handiwork or did you pull that from somewhere? That's such a perfect blend for someone who follows college football and politics.

It might be the funniest one I've seen so far.

• Hook 'Em 3

Why won’t Democrats be the bigger people and just work with The GOP???

Exhibit A, B and C - McCarthy blaming Dems for the almost shutdown, kicking Pelosi out of her office while she’s at Feinstein’s funeral, and now Steny 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

What's very funny about Fastbreak's idiocy is that how the Dems would usually fuck something like this up would've been to support McCarthy for nothing.  That would've been consistent with their long history of loser behavior that has actually done more harm than good by hiding the truth about the Republican party from the public.

Since Trump was elected, but even really for a few years if not decades before that, the Democrats have been behaving as if the extremists in the Republican party were just a fringe element and that most of the Republican party were responsible adults who they just disagreed with on certain policy specifics.  That enabled the media to cover politics in a "bothsides" frame no matter how extreme the GOP got, which helped enable the further radicalization of the GOP.

The Dems kept being the grown ups in the room because they thought it was the responsible thing to do and that being seen as doing the responsible thing would win them positive news coverage, but it never did. Instead, mainstream political media grew to expect them to cave to increasingly insane GOP behavior and actually criticized any deviation from that by Democrats. Meanwhile the GOP treated the Democratic party just like McCarthy has this whole year. So the Democrats have literally gotten nothing out of that loser behavior, it has actually often led to increasingly negative media coverage of them, and it actually enabled further GOP radicalization by preventing the GOP radicalization from becoming the real, unavoidable story.

They've finally broken from that loser bullshit. Now, as this circus drags on, it will become impossible for mainstream media to cover this as a typical "Washington dysfunction" story. The GOP's dysfunction and radicalization will be front and center, and the GOP civil war will provide a lot of juicy quotes attacking Republicans from other Republicans. And there is a fairly strong possibility that the Republicans can't agree on a replacement and that the more "moderate" members have to come crawling to the Democrats for their votes. Which would mean some sort of power-sharing agreement. And even if that doesn't happen and the GOP can agree on someone, they won't functionally be any worse for Democrats than McCarthy was because that's not actually possible. McCarthy was a completely untrustworthy piece of shit who never kept his word and was functionally controlled by the most extreme members of his caucus.

Well said. And what some people clearly don’t realize is many (most?) of those moderates are in purple districts and if they kowtow to the radicals they have no shot at reelection 

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Wtf is a hideaway?

Congressional hideaways are unlisted offices in the Capitol, conveniently located near the chambers, used by members of the Senate and select members of the House.

unmarked, private and typically for leadership. Pelosi is Speaker Emeritus and Hoyer is the most senior Democratic member of the House

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

It's more likely than you're considering. I'm not saying it's more likely than not, but there's real fissures among people on the right. A lot of them absolutely fucking hate each other. The longer this drags on, the likelier it becomes that enough of the "moderates" say fuck it and go to Dems requesting some sort of deal.

Good points. The GOP party doesn't exist anymore. They are effectively a coalition today that fall under the GOP umbrella. On some topics they can coalesce on unanimous voting in the House but there are other topics that actually end up with the Dems having the plurality. 

Regardless we're seeing a broken coalition right now in the House. Now someone has to figure out how to pull together enough Speaker votes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gym Jordan said that Ukraine wasn't a top priority because that's not what Americans care about.  They care about the border and crime.  

Now, maybe I don't have the pulse of the nation, but I don't think that's accurate for the average American.  For fox news viewers, absolutely.

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

You think the next guy is going to work with the dems? Lol, some of you are fucking delusional. It’s going to be a year of either nothing at best or destruction at worst.

What are they going to do? Launch an impeachment inquiry without evidence? Investigate Hunter Biden?

You’re an idiot. McCarthy sucks. The next guy will suck. Six of one…

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You either have to be the dumbest motherfucker on the planet or in 'fuck it, why not? I'm dying anyways' mode to want this job.

Need to find one who is retiring (only 4 announced GOPers so far and they suck) or planning to retire to suck it up for 15 months. And it’s barely 15 months, Congress won’t do shit from May to November next year so they can campaign 

Edited by Js1

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Gym Jordan said that Ukraine wasn't a top priority because that's not what Americans care about.  They care about the border and crime.  

Now, maybe I don't have the pulse of the nation, but I don't think that's accurate for the average American.  For fox news viewers, absolutely.

I actually can't argue with that. I think it's fairly accurate and I think Ukraine is a top priority but I'd say easily the border and crime would rank way higher. 

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I actually can't argue with that. I think it's fairly accurate and I think Ukraine is a top priority but I'd say easily the border and crime would rank way higher. 

I don't think about either of those things.  The "border", as Republicans would talk about it, is a complete sham.  It's of course a humanitarian problem, but that's not what they mean.  Ukraine isn't a "top priority" for me, but I understand why we are doing what we are doing.

I watched CNN for an hour or so before I went to bed last night, and they interviewed numerous Republican congressmen during that hour, and every one of them had their prescribed talking point about making the McCarthy ouster a "both sides did this" issue, and then blathering for another full minute or so about "both sides" dysfunction, blah blah blah.  "A few people from my party plus all the Democrats did this disgraceful thing."

And I was kind of shocked at the number of times the host let their bullshit go uninterrupted and unchallenged, and let them go with a cordial "Thanks for being here!" 

Maybe that's the informal agreement for getting interviews?  "If you ever interrupt our intellectually dishonest diatribes, we won't go on your network anymore." 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Need to find one who is retiring (only 4 announced GOPers so far and they suck) or planning to retire to suck it up for 15 months. And it’s barely 15 months, Congress won’t do shit from May to November next year so they can campaign 

The only reason you take this job is to gain power. And by virtue of the rules established for this session, the position holds no power.

Why subject yourself to the humiliation of leading a group with no purpose other than chaos? You have to be Gym Jordan-level stupid to want it.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

How many Republicans do the Dems have to peel off to pick the speaker? They need to identify about those from the most purple districts and go really hard after them.

5, which might be 4 in depending on Santos entering a plea.  Gaetz being expelled won't matter for long, but that could skew the numbers as well.  

13 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but his handlers have tried to convince him several times to help the party and he gives absolutely zero fucks.  See the Georgia Senate race.  'Go help the R party and be speaker of the house' isn't gonna do a fucking thing for his two brain cells.  Sorry, but if there's something he knows, it's MEEEEEEEE. 

That's probably because Trump was a lifelong Democrat.

I'm glad the Dems seem to be starting to do what they should have done a long time ago: stop bailing out R's. Maybe it's because old alliances are gone either through attrition or breaking of norms, but the new Dem leadership has whipped their side into shape. I'm glad they have gotten tired of playing custodian for Pubs. It needs to be demonstrably clear who causes the problems and who fixes them and America is seeing that right now (and yes, I know not EVERYONE).

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The GOP party doesn't exist anymore. They are effectively a coalition today that fall under the GOP umbrella.

This is neither new nor unique. In the absence of a multiparty system, the two major parties are both coalitions of various groups.

Once in a while, those coalitions shift, and there's a bit of chaos for a while. We've just come out from under a major shift, where nearly all educated urban people have moved to the Democratic party, and blue collar workers have shifted to GOP (due to both Clintons and Trump).

47 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

How many Republicans do the Dems have to peel off to pick the speaker? They need to identify about those from the most purple districts and go really hard after them.

I don't think those Rs would fear their voters. They'd fear some MAGA true believer with a gun. All it will take is Trump hopping on Truth Social and saying "Rep Jimbo McRino is an enemy of MAGA" and that person would need a security detail for his whole family for the rest of their life, or until MAGA finally collectively drinks the punch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For once, most of the media seems to have it right

NYT: McCarthy’s Extraordinary Downfall Reflects an Ungovernable G.O.P.

WaPo: McCarthy ouster exposes the Republican Party’s destructive tendencies

Politico: The House G.O.P. is a Failed State

WSJ: Rebellion That Took Down McCarthy Was More Than a Decade in the Making (subheader: The willingness of a few House members to tear down their leaders raises the question: Can anyone lead the GOP in Congress?)

CNN: Matt Gaetz broke Kevin McCarthy for sport

LA Times: McCarthy flopped, but blame the chaos on the entire Republican Party

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

For once, most of the media seems to have it right

NYT: McCarthy’s Extraordinary Downfall Reflects an Ungovernable G.O.P.

WaPo: McCarthy ouster exposes the Republican Party’s destructive tendencies

Politico: The House G.O.P. is a Failed State

WSJ: Rebellion That Took Down McCarthy Was More Than a Decade in the Making (subheader: The willingness of a few House members to tear down their leaders raises the question: Can anyone lead the GOP in Congress?)

CNN: Matt Gaetz broke Kevin McCarthy for sport

LA Times: McCarthy flopped, but blame the chaos on the entire Republican Party

It's always nice to be proven right about something like five minutes later.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

A few GOPers have said they cannot vote for anyone unless they get a commitment that the MTV will be removed from the rules or the threshold changed. 

Except Ronnie Jackson, who think it is awesome and supports Trump for speaker.  

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

If there's a way to fill a bathtub with this I would get in and bathe in it. This interview and the bickering between Kilmeade and this magat is fucking GOLD. 

Also further proves the idiocy of people like @Fastbreak who think the Dems fucked up by allowing the American people to see how awful these clowns are.

i-think-it-moved-george.gif

• Haha 2