the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

He might be right.

On brand. Which means it will be Scalise or Jordan. McCarthy didn’t have that seediness that a child molestor, wannabe KKK member or ignorer of college age sexual assault has. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

More like 1 and 1/2. Judicial and half of Congress. The senate may suck but it’s not this goat rodeo 

You don't know what you're taking about.  The three branches of the government are the House, the Senate, and the executive.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

As idiotic and dumb as it is, it’s clear FastBreak is just repeating the radical Republican talking point going around this morning of blaming Dems for radical republicans’ own failure.

They are getting pwn3d on this “talking point” though 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

And even if that doesn't happen and the GOP can agree on someone, they won't functionally be any worse for Democrats than McCarthy was because that's not actually possible. McCarthy was a completely untrustworthy piece of shit who never kept his word and was functionally controlled by the most extreme members of his caucus.

Right. A speaker that constantly capitulates to the extremist wing of his party and an extremist speaker is a distinction without a difference. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Pretty much. House Dems were pretty much non-factors under McCarthy’s speakership except when he needed them during the debt ceiling and stopgap. Worst case, they’ll just continue to be under the new speaker until the next stopgap. Nothing lost, everything to gain if a consensus candidate has to be put forth with Dem votes and some concessions. 

Played perfectly, imo. Well done to Jeffries - held his caucus like a champ. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Also McCarthy had about the same majority as Nancy did from 2021-2023. Dems passed almost everything they wanted, even with the number of blue dog/moderate Dems, mainstreamers and the Progressives working as one unit . McCarthy couldn’t even keep his job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Also McCarthy had about the same majority as Nancy did from 2021-2023. Dems passed almost everything they wanted, even with the number of blue dog/moderate Dems, mainstreamers and the Progressives working as one unit . McCarthy couldn’t even keep his job. 

While true there were some rocky times with "The Squad" late in Trump's term. While not as crazy as these GOP clowns they certainly didn't do the Democrats any favors.

• Hook 'Em 1

The bottom line here is that McCarthy and the GOP caucus should have never agreed to the single vote motion to vacate rule. That completely neutered the position of Speaker and prevented McCarthy from being able to make deals without consequences from an extremely small minority. Whatever happens moving forward that needs to change.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

While true there were some rocky times with "The Squad" late in Trump's term. While not as crazy as these GOP clowns they certainly didn't do the Democrats any favors.

Dems had a larger caucus from 18-21 than 21-23. I’m specifically talking about her smaller majority period and how she held them together to pass as many Biden priorities as they could. 

Some dissent and disagreement within your caucus is okay. Moreso when you have 235 members versus 222

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

What, specifically, are you talking about?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/09/us/politics/nancy-pelosi-ocasio-cortez.html

The speaker is also giving voice to an undercurrent of resentment among Democratic lawmakers toward Ms. Ocasio-Cortez and her group, whom they see as using their megaphones to sow intraparty divisions and burnish their own brands without achieving any results for Democrats. On Tuesday, some senior Democrats were working behind the scenes to try to smooth over those raw feelings, according to one lawmaker involved in the effort, recognizing that Ms. Pelosi’s dismissive comments about the squad’s political celebrity could do lasting damage.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

The bottom line here is that McCarthy and the GOP caucus should have never agreed to the single vote motion to vacate rule. That completely neutered the position of Speaker and prevented McCarthy from being able to make deals without consequences from an extremely small minority. Whatever happens moving forward that needs to change.

McCarthy had to if he wanted to be speaker. If it remains in the rules, the GOP deserve everything they get. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dems had a larger caucus from 18-21 than 21-23. I’m specifically talking about her smaller majority period and how she held them together to pass as many Biden priorities as they could. 

Some dissent and disagreement within your caucus is okay. Moreso when you have 235 members versus 222

agreed and she had definitely smoothed things over by then. and to their credit AOC and her group have mostly fallen in line since then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

agreed and she had definitely smoothed things over by then. and to their credit AOC and her group have mostly fallen in line since then. 

To be fair, for many of them, that was their first term. They had to learn how things work in DC. They’ve adapted and learned since then.  The Squad also learned they had to build their ranks to be more effective. And they continue to every 2 years, it seems 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I really don't think Ukraine/Russia is the angle here. We have a group of people that believe in absolutely nothing other than self-promotion. They have no core values, no political platform. They simply want attention and are willing to destroy America in return for TV time and social media likes. 

See below.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why not both?

Let's NOT forget the somehow un-investigated ties from Russia through the NRA to the Republican coffers.  

I agree with this. This is awfully convenient for Putin as far as hamstringing Ukraine aid without the help of Congress. It's just too perfect.

33 minutes ago, The Dog said:

See below.

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

McCarthy had to if he wanted to be speaker. If it remains in the rules, the GOP deserve everything they get. 

Yes, McCarthy wanted so badly to be Speaker he ultimately agreed to EVERYTHING the Freedom Fuckers asked for to get their votes. I heard last night that the one vote to vacate has been in the rules since the 1920's before Pelosi had it removed. Politics has never been a calm/genteel game but there used to be decorum in the pre-Trump days. He's the worst "American" ever.

18 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

NSIAP.

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This is infuriating. "How can you govern when 8 people can side with the other party and oust you?"

NO FUCKING SHIT MOTHERFUCKER, THEY WERE THE FUCKING RULES YOU AGREED TO AS A DEAL TO GET THE GAVEL. It was your fucking design. 

Man fuck you, McCarthy. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

There were 210 republicans who voted to save McCarthy. You think  they’ll support Jim Jordan or even trump? Lol no way. Idiots saying this hurts dems? Those 210 will have to reach across the aisle and get at least some dems to support someone. All dems voted to oust McCarthy because he refused to offer them anything. He even lied about the possible shutdown the day before blaming dems. I heard an interview from a dem saying how could they help him when he offered nothing and was completely dishonest just the night before? Gaetz is the one who’s fucked. He’s claiming it’s because McCarthy worked with dems to avoid the shutdown, now they’ll end up with a speaker who has enough dem support to actually govern. The backfire of all backfires. 

☝️ It's either this, or no government at all.

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is infuriating. "How can you govern when 8 people can side with the other party and oust you?"

NO FUCKING SHIT MOTHERFUCKER, THEY WERE THE FUCKING RULES YOU AGREED TO AS A DEAL TO GET THE GAVEL. It was your fucking design. 

Man fuck you, McCarthy. 

When I listen to McCarthy spew his bullshit, I can't really tell if he's gaslighting, or just lying, or if he's just really stupid. Some combination generally, I guess. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Shutdown the government so federal investigations and prosecutions have no funding.

Humor Boomer GIF

I mean, the funny part... the punchline... is that you're not wrong.

Trump IS trying to shut the government down in the mistaken belief that it'll halt the prosecutions. But it won't, and the GOP looks shittier for nothing.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

When I listen to McCarthy spew his bullshit, I can't really tell if he's gaslighting, or just lying, or if he's just really stupid. Some combination generally, I guess. 

I'd say a little column A and a little column B. He knows its bullshit, but he also knows that a bunch of R talking heads, and thus R voters, will always run with the "blame Democrats" mantra.

Edited by Stilicho

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I laugh at just how much they HAVE to blame Democrats in all this because the truth is something that destroys all of them, that this was all to appease Trump. They can't blame him for this now or his dipshit followers will go after them next. It really is watching an entire party held hostage by an f'ing toddler. 

1 minute ago, Stilicho said:

I'd say a little column A and a little column B. He knows its bullshit, but he also knows that a bunch of Rs will always run with the "blame Democrats" mantra.

that's all it takes with their constituency. if they say it's true *poof* magically that thing is now true. they won't dig any further. they don't care to investigate the truth. it's unreasonable to expect everyone to pay attention to extent we do - but at least have some truth in the message. there is none, that I can see, from McCarhy's side

2 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I feel like this plays nicely within the only ethos the GOP has, which is kill government. 

People like Steve Bannon are probably giggling with excitement about this situation. They hate govt and want to blow it up.

And since the far right people like Gaetz are unreasonable, the only way out of this is for the few "moderate" republicans to move further right or let the House fall apart. The moderates will have to give into Gaetz's demands.  In theory a moderate could look to create a coalition group of both Rs and Ds but I don't see that being a reality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

These are the type of political animals who vote against a bill that ends up passing and then they brag to their constituents about how they're bringing federal funding to their state.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

People like Steve Bannon are probably giggling with excitement about this situation. They hate govt and want to blow it up.

And since the far right people like Gaetz are unreasonable, the only way out of this is for the few "moderate" republicans to move further right or let the House fall apart. The moderates will have to give into Gaetz's demands.  In theory a moderate could look to create a coalition group of both Rs and Ds but I don't see that being a reality

It's more likely than you're considering. I'm not saying it's more likely than not, but there's real fissures among people on the right. A lot of them absolutely fucking hate each other. The longer this drags on, the likelier it becomes that enough of the "moderates" say fuck it and go to Dems requesting some sort of deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In theory a moderate could look to create a coalition group of both Rs and Ds but I don't see that being a reality

I think (or perhaps I'm just hopeful) that this is most likely scenario but it might take a bit for it to shake out.  One of those speaker candidates is going to feel safe enough in a primary to court the Dems and they only need a small coalition of their colleagues to create a majority. 

McHenry getting the important stuff done. Tells Pelosi to vacate the office immediately while she's still in Cali. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/03/politics/pelosi-vacate-office-capitol-mchenry-interim-speaker/index.html

He's just an ineffectual, short fingered, bow-tie wearing imp of former College Republican shittery. Been milking off the federal tit since he was 29 while decrying D.C. and big government. A voting record of impotent rage. This is his only moment of meaning in a lifetime of milquetoast grift and he's gonna take a stand (on a box so he can reach the mic). 

Sometimes I wish it was allowable for me to give an adult a swirly. Or at least let me be in charge of the leopards.

16 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's more likely than you're considering. I'm not saying it's more likely than not, but there's real fissures among people on the right. A lot of them absolutely fucking hate each other. The longer this drags on, the likelier it becomes that enough of the "moderates" say fuck it and go to Dems requesting some sort of deal.

I wonder how many Republicans are considering retiring from politics? 'Career suicide from working with the Left' isn't a thing when you've decided your career choice was a really bad one and you're moving on to greener pastures.