2024 QB Trey Owens

texifornia

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'll be that guy and ask.

Why take this commitment now? I'm sure he would've committed if we offered him later in Nov.

Is he a diamond in the rough find by Milwee and Sark?

Btw, congrats to the kid and us. 

See Aggies QB recruiting in 2022 as a reason why. 

I'll be that guy and ask.

Why take this commitment now? I'm sure he would've committed if we offered him later in Nov.

Is he a diamond in the rough find by Milwee and Sark?

Btw, congrats to the kid and us. 

Bell cow of the class. Bring him in and let him start the group text.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

See Aggies QB recruiting in 2022 as a reason why. 

Aggy can't recruit a QB because their offensive system fucking sucks and recruits know it. Sark has never had a problem recruiting QBs.

1 minute ago, Reese Bennett said:

Bell cow of the class. Bring him in and let him start the group text.

So is this guy someone that the in state players know, respect, and want to be teammates with? Honest question.

Just now, crash_davis said:

Aggy can't recruit a QB because their offensive system fucking sucks and recruits know it. Sark has never had a problem recruiting QBs.

So is this guy someone that the in state players know, respect, and want to be teammates with? Honest question.

They also have a 5 star true freshmen. Hard to follow up regardless with another equal. 

We weren’t getting any big time names following Arch so take the guy like Owens regardless of time frame to lock him up if he’s your guy for 2024. Don’t hold your dick and miss out like the Aggies did on their prospects is the point. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

So basically you are asking if Sarkisian is having a problem recruiting QBs because he has never had a problem recruiting QBs. Is that about right? 

Just now, Huckleberry said:

So basically you are asking if Sarkisian is having a problem recruiting QBs because he has never had a problem recruiting QBs. Is that about right? 

No I asking why we are taking the commitment of a 3 star who's other offers seem to be Rice, Baylor, and SMU this early in the cycle. 

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

They had a quickly-rising legacy QB dying to commit in Austin Novosad. Then they fucked around and flirted with a bunch of bluechips while he picked up Ohio State and Notre Dame offers and once aggy decided they wanted him he told them to go fuck themselves. That's the analogy.

Edited by texifornia

I'll quit being debbie downer.

Hookem, Trey. Come here and kick all kinds of ass, especially OU's.

Take it FWIW, but Bobby and Gerry suggest that bluebloods will be pursuing T. Owens later in the recruiting cycle (ala Austin Novosad).

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

Maalik ended up a 4 star, to be fair. We need a guy this cycle who won't transfer the first year he has to sit on the bench behind Arch (or Maalik, but probably Arch), so we went with a developmental QB who's a lifelong UT fan.
Since MM is likely to move along at some point, (and probably ball out wherever he goes) having someone like Owens could prove quite valuable as a solid backup that may even shine a bit.

6 hours ago, Nope said:

Anybody seen him play?

I went to cy-fairs homecoming game and he looked surprisingly good, but I had gone in with zero expectations. Was more interested in Landon Rink and ended up more interested in the QB and RB.

Good looking athlete with nice size. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Anybody have this?:

@OB3 @BurntOrange&White @Hookem2147

Spoiler

How he fits at Texas

Owens is vaguely similar to Maalik Murphy and will likely occupy a similar space for the Steve Sarkisian Longhorns. He has a big arm for hitting shots and far throws, and a proven willingness to hang in the pocket to deliver the ball and let his receivers make plays. He’ll need some time to develop and learn a big playbook but you wonder if Sark will tend to fare best with those sorts of players.

Owens shows a knack for making quick decisions, which is good to see from a kid with the arm strength to reach throws deep down the field. He could develop into a very effective and reliable distributor on play action. Progression passing will need to come on a longer timeline. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says

Strengths — Tall QB with perfect height for the position. Not done adding bulk. Snaps under center and in the shotgun on film. Takeaway is pretty smooth and his feet stay under him with eyes downfield. Reaches the top of his drop under balance with his hips and shoulders generally aiming at No. 1. Climbs the pocket really well and his eyes never come down. Resets his feet quickly establishing a solid platform to deliver the football. The ball carriage is close to the chest with good position and has a nice start to his throwing motion with no hitch. Delivery is generally three-quarters but he does throw in some sidearm on some highlights. Fairly quick motion. Good wrist snap with generally good ball rotation. Good anticipation and very accurate to the short middle and intermediate zones. Good arm strength to the deep zones. Some nice touch passes to the intermediate areas. Decisive with the football and generally seems to know where the football needs to go. Athletically, he’s a tall player who generally moves well for his size. Very productive player and district offensive MVP. Good completion percentage at around 67% last year. Good GPA.

Areas for Improvement — While his footwork is good on dropback and climbing the pocket, there are a few examples of him getting up on his toes as he throws. Lateral movement isn’t always as smooth as you’d like to see and his agility is probably what you’d expect for a guy this size. Weight transfer on his throws is not always consistent and he either depowers the football or he underrotates his torso. Like most right-handed QBs will struggle to roll to his left and on one of his highlights, he suffers from not being able to clear his lead hip to throw. This may not be his fault as the play design forced the ball out much sooner (the route wasn’t timed up properly with the QB’s movement). HUDL film is really tightly cropped at times, so it’s hard to see exactly what he’s seeing, but his reads are generally limited and he’ll need a lot of study to face defenses at the next level. Mechanics seem to let him down on opponent film to the now screens and swing passes (a couple of swing passes behind the receiver stopping his momentum).

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They also have a 5 star true freshmen. Hard to follow up regardless with another equal. 

We weren’t getting any big time names following Arch so take the guy like Owens regardless of time frame to lock him up if he’s your guy for 2024. Don’t hold your dick and miss out like the Aggies did on their prospects is the point. 

I was told Arch is really a 3 star. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I am friends with this young man’s parents from college and have loved following his journey. So proud he choose the good guys, was fearful it’s little brother. 

Welcome to the 40, Trey! 

Pics of mom not showing up for me.

• Hook 'Em 1