The official 2024 GOP Presidential Candidate Clown Car thread!

horn4life

30 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Did you see him on Meet the Press this morning? It looked like he was there for two reasons. He wanted us to know his name and he wanted to mention Hunter Biden when the subject of Trump’s legal troubles came up. He didn’t answer any questions or offer anything of substance. ‘I’m gonna do something about this horrible inflation!’ Oh really, Doug? Like what? No? Don’t want to tell us?

Seemed like an empty suit. 

And then his “friend”, the Minn Governor, came on right after and called him on all his bullshit. Twas awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jatrain said:

The guy who signed a near total ban on abortion, has signed numerous anti-trans laws, banned CRT, and sent the North Dakota national guard to the border stays “completely out of the culture war bullshit”?  

He might not like to talk about it, but Id say his actions show that he’s marching lock step with the alt-right.  

@tbone_ Did the National Guard foray to the Canadian Border go well?  Oh, he sent them to Texas under Abbott? Sounds like a cuck to a cripple.  Easy target for Trump.

image.jpeg.4f5e88f12ea80f0957c2d950584962d7.jpeg

Did he have them set up razor wire and big red balls?  

• Hook 'Em 1

The guy who signed a near total ban on abortion, has signed numerous anti-trans laws, banned CRT, and sent the North Dakota national guard to the border stays “completely out of the culture war bullshit”?  

He might not like to talk about it, but Id say his actions show that he’s marching lock step with the alt-right.  

Yea I get the look on the abortion law. The other stuff I’m not as familiar with. The story on the abortion law supposedly is given that North Dakota is about 120% red the leg was going to pass it either way so what good would it do him to veto it and alienate himself. Personally I think the guy is probably pro choice (based on what I’ve heard over the years from people I know who have known him for decades) but he can’t say it, so he calls it a states rights issue. Which makes sense to me.

And look I’m not here trying to change anyones mind. It’s just interesting to me because I’ve never had a personal acquaintance and really good friend of a bunch of my friends run for president before. And at least to me he seems like less of a clown than the rest of the gop, and this is the gop clown show thread right?
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Yea I get the look on the abortion law. The other stuff I’m not as familiar with. The story on the abortion law supposedly is given that North Dakota is about 120% red the leg was going to pass it either way so what good would it do him to veto it and alienate himself. Personally I think the guy is probably pro choice (based on what I’ve heard over the years from people I know who have known him for decades) but he can’t say it, so he calls it a states rights issue. Which makes sense to me.

And look I’m not here trying to change anyones mind. It’s just interesting to me because I’ve never had a personal acquaintance and really good friend of a bunch of my friends run for president before. And at least to me he seems like less of a clown than the rest of the gop, and this is the gop clown show thread right?

So he’s actually pro-choice but signs what amounts to a total ban on abortion because he’s beholden to the far right?  Way to stand behind your convictions Doug.  Great example of leadership, I guess oil billion$ still aren’t enough to buy an actual spine.  

Just because the other guys are wearing full on make-up, a wig, floppy shoes, and a flower that squirts water and all Doug has is a big red nose that honks, it doesn’t mean that he’s not a clown.  

• Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, Jatrain said:

So he’s actually pro-choice but signs what amounts to a total ban on abortion because he’s beholden to the far right?  Way to stand behind your convictions Doug.  Great example of leadership, I guess oil billion$ still aren’t enough to buy an actual spine.  

"He signed it even though he doesn't believe in it, but would have had his veto overridden and just made people mad!"

Leadership 101?

Nicolle Wallace interviewing Asa Hutchinson. He's trashing the shit out of Trump, but is then asked if he'd vote for Trump if he's the nominee. 

"Um well um golly well um you see...."

I think he was asked a total of four times and he just flat refused to answer. 

Edited by Red Five
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Nicolle Wallace interviewing Asa Hutchinson. He's trashing the shit out of Trump, but is then asked if he'd vote for Trump if he's the nominee. 

"Um well um golly well um you see...."

I think he was asked a total of four times and he just flat refused to answer. 

It's fucking nuts to watch them squirm in the reality that they've created.  He is the party.  Full stop.  There is no other way for them.  They need his base and his base only has fealty to him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

He started off by saying that he doesn't even think Trump is constitutionally eligible to be President again. But then refused to say he wouldn't vote for him if he's the nominee.

They took turns asking him. "Ok lets try this one more time....."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

He started off by saying that he doesn't even think Trump is constitutionally eligible to be President again. But then refused to say he wouldn't vote for him if he's the nominee.

They took turns asking him. "Ok lets try this one more time....."

No one in that party is a serious person.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

No one in that party is a serious person.  

That is a hyperbolic error and you know it.  Raffensberger is a loyal Republican and is a very serious person.  As is Adam Kinzinger.  

(checks notes)

And it looks like both are set to be executed by the MAGA regime by end of calendar year.  So yes, we're back to no serious people.  what about that one guy from Idaho, Steve something-or-other?  Is he still doing his thing?  

• Hook 'Em 1

There's just absolutely nothing that a guy like Burgum can do given the current situation. We've talked a bout it several times in this thread already.

Reading about him, he does seem like a normal human being. I'd be willing to bet that privately, he admits that Trump is a fucking ghoul. But if he comes out and says that, so what? The truly anti-Trump faction in the GOP appears to be on the order of 10% (and Christie is consolidating that group anyway). I'm no mathematician, but staking out a position with a ceiling of 10% support doesn't feel like a winner. So he has to dance around Trump. But what voter wants a candidate who's dancing around Trump? If they think Trump did nothing wrong (the other ~90% of the GOP electorate), they can just....vote for Trump.

I can think of 4 reasons why anyone not named Trump would run:

1. Interview for a Trump cabinet spot
  2. 2028/raise profile/sell books
  3. Hail Mary that Trump is somehow convicted/disqualified/keels over dead before election day
  4. Delusion

Which category is Burgum? He's super rich and mostly funding himself, so I'd say primarily #4.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tokamak said:

I can think of 4 reasons why anyone not named Trump would run:

1. Interview for a Trump cabinet spot
  2. 2028/raise profile/sell books
  3. Hail Mary that Trump is somehow convicted/disqualified/keels over dead before election day
  4. Delusion

If you're somewhat rational and under the age of 55, there is absolutely no reason to want a Trump cabinet spot, were he to somehow win (he won't).  All you'd be doing is biding your time until he gets pissed off at you and fires you, and trashes you in the eyes of MAGA.

#2 and #3 are what a lot of the field are aiming for, with a few going down the delusional route.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 8:09 AM, Pancho said:

Combined with his position that 18-25 year olds will be required to take a test before they can vote under his administration (and his horrible rapping skills), bro is just clearly trying to be a mini trump

Yo, Russia!  China!  Can I get a little help over here?!

I had never heard of Doug Burgum before Sunday. I wasn’t impressed. Tonight I learned that in order to meet the donation requirement necessary to qualify for the debate, he solicited $1 donations for which he would pay donors $20 in return. That’s some real business savvy right there and the mark of a straight shooter.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/doug-burgum-president-campaign-gift-cards-20-donations-legal-experts/

Apparently some Biden supporters took him up on his offer, sending him a dollar and then donating the money he sent in return to the Biden campaign.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/doug-burgum-joe-biden-donation-b2381018.html

I’m not sure how that doesn’t qualify him as a clown. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I had never heard of Doug Burgum before Sunday. I wasn’t impressed. Tonight I learned that in order to meet the donation requirement necessary to qualify for the debate, he solicited $1 donations for which he would pay donors $20 in return. That’s some real business savvy right there and the mark of a straight shooter.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/doug-burgum-president-campaign-gift-cards-20-donations-legal-experts/

Apparently some Biden supporters took him up on his offer, sending him a dollar and then donating the money he sent in return to the Biden campaign.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/doug-burgum-joe-biden-donation-b2381018.html

My dad is a life long democrat, has helped with elections in Austin, etc. etc. and he happily told me a few weeks back how he took this dude up on his offer lol. To paraphrase him if some dumbass rich republican wants to buy his way in he’ll gladly take his money and donate it to someone else.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

"9-11 was an inside job, people under 25 should be stripped of voting rights unless they can pass a test, Juneteenth is a useless holiday, I will pardon everyone of their January 6 crimes on my first day in office, we shouldn't want Putin to lose in Ukraine..."

Reminds me of Norm's first sentence here:

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

"9-11 was an inside job, people under 25 should be stripped of voting rights unless they can pass a test, Juneteenth is a useless holiday, I will pardon everyone of their January 6 crimes on my first day in office, we shouldn't want Putin to lose in Ukraine..."

Reminds me of Norm's first sentence here:

Also, global warming is a hoax. 

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Why is Vivek getting so much attention?  Are we really trying to pretend that if, for whatever reason, Trump isn't the nominee that his base would pull the lever for someone named Vivek Ramaswamy?  Why is the media so obsessed with him?

My magat inlaws like him.

Edited by Biff Tannen

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Why is Vivek getting so much attention?  Are we really trying to pretend that if, for whatever reason, Trump isn't the nominee that his base would pull the lever for someone named Vivek Ramaswamy?  Why is the media so obsessed with him?

He’s trying to be a younger trump. That’s pretty clear. He has no positions on any policy and is just there for the shock and “fame.”

• Hook 'Em 2

He's just a flavor of the month guy. There seems to be a certain segment of the GOP primary electorate for whom having zero experience, being totally ignorant of how anything works, and saying outrageous shit is attractive. It's like Ben Carson in 2015.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Lulz, sounds like the perfect man to lead the GQP charge on the exploding deficit, because we all know how important that is to the party. If I was debating this clown, I would just actually wait until the topic of the deficit/fiscal responsibility comes up and then highlight this as an example as someone with no fiscal restraint. 

This dude strikes me as another rich  fuck dude that probably wants to lower the amount of taxes he has to spend, and has no fucking backbone on any issue  other than rich people have it hard in life. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He found that promoting conspiracy theories gave him some traction in the polls so that’s his thing now. It’s given him some separation from the 2%-ers so the media is talking about him as though he’s someone to be taken seriously. He’s not but he’ll at least appeal to the conspiracy theory loving part of the base. Probably at most, too.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 10:35 AM, Biff Tannen said:

He said he thinks all high school students should have to pass a civics test to retain their citizenship status.  I don't think he realizes how much of his party that would disqualify.

Including certain Senators.   Looking at you jug-ears!

Tim Scott was meeting with voters in NH at a diner and this voter didn’t hold back:

CONCORD, N.H. — Sen. Tim Scott got into a tense exchange with a 79-year-old retired schoolteacher Friday during a campaign stop, focused on his resistance to criticizing former President Donald Trump.

Scott was making his way through the Windmill Restaurant, a small diner, when customer David Coffey called him over to the booth where he was eating and confronted the South Carolina senator with a question about Trump.

“You don’t stand up to Trump, how are you going to stand up to the president of Russia and China?” Coffey asked.

As Scott tried to talk around the question and Coffey pushed back, Scott said, “Do you want to have a conversation? Or do you want a monologue? I’m happy to listen, but if you want to have a dialogue, I’ll be speaking as well.”

Scott rejected Coffey’s characterization that he is unwilling to stand up to Trump. “The premise of the question is why don’t you stand up to Trump, you’re just wrong that I don’t,” Scott said. “I was one of the few people that actually stood up against those major issues whether it was Charlottesville or other major challenges he had. I’m the guy that stood up and talked about the disagreements that we had.”

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:41 AM, tokamak said:

He's just a flavor of the month guy. There seems to be a certain segment of the GOP primary electorate for whom having zero experience, being totally ignorant of how anything works, and saying outrageous shit is attractive. It's like Ben Carson in 2015.

AP110531153564.jpg?v=85153828b1c3c07a041

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, Covri said:

I’ve watched that Vivek tennis clip enough times now to say it’s either AI or green screen, it just looks off. Why are all the volleys to him high? Why are they all perfectly set up for him to swing away at?

slide_1.jpg?v=18101528673008073783142160

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Tim Scott was meeting with voters in NH at a diner and this voter didn’t hold back:

Fuck you, Tim. We all saw you raise your hand in the affirmative when they asked if you’d support Trump as the candidate if he’s a convicted felon. That’s not standing up to him. Have you acknowledged that Trump lost the election? That Biden won it fair and square? That it wasn’t stolen, there was no fraud, and Trump tried to overturn the results? No? Then you haven’t stood up to him you big fucking phony. 

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fuck you, Tim. We all saw you raise your hand in the affirmative when they asked if you’d support Trump as the candidate if he’s a convicted felon. That’s not standing up to him. Have you acknowledged that Trump lost the election? That Biden won it fair and square? That it wasn’t stolen, there was no fraud, and Trump tried to overturn the results? No? Then you haven’t stood up to him you big fucking phony. 

All of these candidates are just going through the motions and trying not to offend MAGA (well except for Christie, Pence, and Hurd) and then focus on 2028. 

It's pathetic how spineless they are.