I will not spend another fucking penny in a Walgreen's

Gil Bang

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If you really did this, I salute you.  Because you also just started a movement.  I don't have any social media presence, and no followers even if I did.  But please tell me we can start some kinda organic movement using the wonderfully strong women on this site and others in our real lives.  Push out that every time you go to Walgreen's, you grab a plastic baby from the toy aisle, stuff it in your pocket, throw it in the toilet, and walk out like Boone at the Food King "Nothing for me today, thank you."  I figure there can't be more than a few baby dolls at each location.  So it'll only take a week before they catch on, but the deal is you gotta photograph it.  And that's not a crime, you can just say, "Uh, toilet was like that when I got in here...and I had heard your bathrooms were always very clean...FOR SHAME!"  Yeah, I know it sucks for the employee that's gotta fish it outta there but they won't get dirty, they got tools for that stuff.  You can't throw the baby out with the Walwater.  

If you feel about the intermittent shoplifting, just bring your own toy baby doll from home.  We could probably use the wreath fund to order a few hundred at a bulk price.  I'm all for not taking unsold merchandise into the head from a grocery store because that's food, that's gross.  But a toy doll, why not? Sometimes we steal batteries, I'm an old man...I forgot.  Do you know where I live, please take me home! 

it ain't stealing unless you leave the premises 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Driving back from kids sports event this weekend.  I need to pee bad so pull into a Sheetz, but notice a Walgreens across the street.  Remember this thread so I decide to go to the Walgreens instead since posters say their bathrooms are nice.   But before I go the restroom, I stop by the toy section, see a small plastic baby, take it with me to restroom and leave it floating in the bowl on the way out. 

Did you......put it in your butt?! 

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

NOPE.  Followed up on this story this weekend, and it was a no-brainer -- no fucking way.  Guess we'll stick with our HEB.

Just remember, Republicans love that they are causing so many people and "woke" corporations so many problems.  This is who they are.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:09 AM, Born to Run said:

That's unfortunate as I like to shit in thier restrooms, it's kind of my go to. I'm an 0700 pooper. But my kid needs to be dropped off anytime from 0645 to 0900. Which leaves me pooping
all over town. Walgreens is a pretty good choice as it's clean and freshly opened. Home Depot is terrible choice. Hotels are a power move

2D958A74-0A29-4C44-A6EF-E8A2D2D56D83.gif

20 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Driving back from kids sports event this weekend.  I need to pee bad so pull into a Sheetz, but notice a Walgreens across the street.  Remember this thread so I decide to go to the Walgreens instead since posters say their bathrooms are nice.   But before I go the restroom, I stop by the toy section, see a small plastic baby, take it with me to restroom and leave it floating in the bowl on the way out. 

200 (7).gif

• Haha 5

How long until they come for actual birth control, because a lot of Republicans are still making noise about it.  I had to pick up my wife’s birth control today and it got me wondering when they will go after The Pill, etc.

Soon. It’s not hyperbole or alarmism. They’ve told you they’re coming for it. See Clarence Thomas’s comments on Griswold v Connecticut for a start, but lots of them have said they’re coming for contraception. They will. It will succeed.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Soon. It’s not hyperbole or alarmism. They’ve told you they’re coming for it. See Clarence Thomas’s comments on Griswold v Connecticut for a start, but lots of them have said they’re coming for contraception. They will. It will succeed.

all this hoopla about population decline will feed right into that. As does the replacement theory, or whatever that racist horseshit is called.

My small town has an an awesome, local owned pharmacy. Generally has anything we ever need, including quick, no-appointment vaccines.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

Counterpoint in favor of Home Depot: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/21/home-depot-hourly-workers-raise.html

Home Depot on Tuesday said it will spend an additional $1 billion to give its hourly employees a raise, as retailers and restaurants compete for workers.

The home improvement retailer announced the wage investment as it reported fourth-quarter earnings. It did not disclose the new average wage for employees, but said every market’s starting wage is at least $15 an hour.

Hourly workers will see the increase, which went into effect on Feb. 6, this month in their paychecks. The increase will boost pay for all hourly workers in the U.S. and Canada.

With the move, Home Depot becomes the latest major retailer to signal that the labor market is still tight — especially when it comes to lower-wage hourly workers. Across the jobs market, the data is still strong: The unemployment rate fell to 3.5% in and nonfarm payroll growth was better than expected in December, the most recently available data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Also Walgreens as always sucked, glad people are now seeing this.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, Clarence Thomas sent the bat signal up when he said the Supreme Court should reconsider birth control (between married couples no less) and the right to privacy. The loonies came out of the woodwork and began plotting how they can get birth control banned.

The most fucked up thing, besides the fact that Small Government/Freedom from the Government Republicans are behind this, is that a whole shitload of the people who are in this movement or whatever, are fucking incels or if they are married and/or have kids, they seem to have just a couple.  While I would disagree with it, I'd understand it better if it was the quiverfull idiots, but no it's the fucking incels in the GOP.  Who will be replaced if they don't get to breeding. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I find it ironic that the founder of Home Depot thinks Americans are lazy.

I get the impression he had no PR team and no comms experience.  So he picked some folks up at one of his stores to help him out one weekend, and something got lost in translation.  

• Haha 2

We're seeing more and more examples of how businesses cannot afford to get into the politics game and even sometimes how no action could be seen as political.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if you see certain business start to split their company and territory between red and blue states. Doesn't mean they wouldn't re-expand after splitting.

There’s going to be more division before there is unity. And yes, it will be a red state/blue state thing. I don’t think the red states (or businesses that are red) realize the population and money favors the blue. But I can’t wait to see Gritty in action. 

There’s a reason Tesla just announced a engineering campus in San Francisco, and it wasn’t because of favorable taxes 

Edited by Neonmoon

This would be another fine time, albeit in long-winder & annoying Lobo fashion, to remind everyone that there is no red state/blue state division but for a handful of truly rural states with no real urban/suburban areas.  Yes, you've got Wyoming, the Dakotas, West Virginia, Mississippi, Montana, and Alaska.  But on the blue side you've got Maine & Vermont.  What does all that mean?  2% of fucking America.  Jack fucking shit.  

The division is not blue state/red state, it's rural/exurban v. urban/suburban.  And really suburban is more of a college v. non-college division.  

So here's the catch with drug stores, grocery stores, department stores, discount stores, gas stations, liquor stores, big box stores, kid's stores, bookstores, sporting goods stores, car stores, and every other fucking store.  They already got the instrastate division down cold.  They saw us before we woke up this morning.  They saw us before Trump, before Clinton, before Reagan.  They already have two different versions of their stores.  Most of us are in Texas.  Just fucking look up.  There is no Texas v. California version.  There is no Wyoming v. Connecticut version.  There are only interstate versions.  Every single fucking chain I can think of, and we ship for a lot of chains from Aldi to Pier 1 Imports, has a different store version/inventory for urban areas than they do for suburban/exurban areas than they do for rural areas.  You all know this intuitively, you just don't give it much thought by design.  The "fancy" target in your area is different from the bumblefuck target by your cousin's out yonder.  Wal-Marts, HEB, Chevy dealerships, et. al.  They all look different, have different products, and different customer service.  It's been baked in based on where you're located since we were kids.  There will never be a Safeway or Kroger grocery based on how your state votes in Presidential elections.  But there as shit will be nicer Safeways and shittier Safeways based on your zip code.  

Take Albertson's for instance.  We used to handle their dedicated fleet replacement needs.  Most stores look the exact same once you are inside.  There was no red state/blue state logistical hierarchy.  But you can sure as shit bet we were ordered by Albertson's to ship with more expedience and with better care to urban/suburban stores while older inventory was shipped to rural stores.  They re-stamped expiration dates, didn't maintain proper temp controls from their distribution hubs, and a dozen other shortcuts to save money to their rural stores.  Because, their rational went, stupid people will eat what we give them and smile as they do it because "We Support Our Communities."  Put a fucking Trump flag out front and I can feed you expired garbage and charge you twice the price.  A people should know when they've been conquered.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There’s going to be more division before there is unity. And yes, it will be a red state/blue state thing. I don’t think the red states (or businesses that are red) realize the population and money favors the blue. But I can’t to see Gritty in action. 

There’s a reason Tesla just announced a engineering campus in San Francisco, and it wasn’t because of favorable taxes 

They think that we’ll starve without them. Dwight captaining the booze cruise energy.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I get the impression he had no PR team and no comms experience.  So he picked some folks up at one of his stores to help him out one weekend, and something got lost in translation.  

Bold move by Home Depot to hire the same PR firm as Nate Oats but hey, whatever works for them I guess 

Gavin Newsome says California will cease all state business with Walgreens moving forward.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/07/politics/gavin-newsom-walgreens-california-abortion-drug/index.html

California will cease all its business with Walgreens, the retail drugstore chain, Gov. Gavin Newsom said on Monday, days after the company announced it would not dispense abortion medication in 21 Republican-dominated states.

“California won’t be doing business with @walgreens – or any company that cowers to the extremists and puts women’s lives at risk,” the Democratic governor tweeted. “We’re done.”

Newsom’s pushback came at an already fraught time for the future of medication abortion, which is used in more than half of all procedures nationwide, as a Texas judge weighs issuing a ban on Mifepristone, the first pill in a two-drug abortion regimen. Walgreens had responded to legal pressure from Republican attorneys general in 21 states – including a handful where abortion remains legal – in deciding to partially halt its efforts to sell the drug.

“We intend to be a certified pharmacy and will distribute Mifepristone only in those jurisdictions where it is legal and operationally feasible,” the company said last week in a statement.

Walgreens declined to comment on Newsom’s tweet.

The clash between Newsom and Walgreens, a massive chain with thousands of stores around the country, marks the latest round of fallout following the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. The ruling, handed down in June of last year, shook up national politics ahead of the 2022 midterms – with many Democrats crediting the backlash for helping their candidates in tough, swing state and seat races – and complicated relationships between political and business leaders.

It’s not clear exactly how California will seek to cut ties with Walgreens.

The state is currently “reviewing all relationships between Walgreens and the state,” said Newsom spokesman Brandon Richards. He also accused the company of giving in to “right wing bullies.”

Late last week, Democratic California state Attorney General Rob Bonta issued a statement slamming Walgreens for bowing to political pressure from GOP officials.

“Medication abortion is safe, effective, and serves as a lifeline for people in need of critical care, especially those from vulnerable and underserved communities,” Bonta said on Friday. “I am disappointed that Walgreens has decided to give in to political pressure from anti-abortion states, and cut off access to these necessary and lifesaving medications.”

The company on Monday sought to clarify its position, though their latest statement only added to the confusion.

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Gavin Newsome says California will cease all state business with Walgreens moving forward.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/07/politics/gavin-newsom-walgreens-california-abortion-drug/index.html

I know that some here are celebrating Newsome for this news but it will only help expand the cancel culture of businesses. DeSantis will take this and run. I fully expect Florida will soon announce that the state and state employees are not allowed to use pharmacy services that sell the "abortion" pill to anyone anywhere. Or something similar. 

Newsome could have handled this quietly but did this for political reasons.

My expectation of Walgreens is that they need to fully follow the law in any state they operate but not let the laws of one state dictate how it operates in another. Nor should they follow the requests of state AGs that are outside the laws.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/6/2023 at 2:46 PM, Horn Dog said:

Worst king cake ever.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My expectation of Walgreens is that they need to fully follow the law in any state they operate but not let the laws of one state dictate how it operates in another. Nor should they follow the requests of state AGs that are outside the laws.

As per usual the facts be damned.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Except this corporate statement doesn’t clarify anything because Walgreens made the decision to pull the drug from Kansas (where abortion is protected by state constitution) based on weak reasoning from Kobach (and other Republican Attorneys General) that the Comstock Act prohibits its distribution. Based on a fig leaf, Walgreens can pull the drug in that state and still say “it isn’t legally permissible”. It’s just mealy mouthed damage control 

You just described @Incredulityto a T

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Except this corporate statement doesn’t clarify anything because Walgreens made the decision to pull the drug from Kansas (where abortion is protected by state constitution) based on weak reasoning from Kobach (and other Republican Attorneys General) that the Comstock Act prohibits its distribution. Based on a fig leaf, Walgreens can pull the drug in that state and still say “it isn’t legally permissible”. It’s just mealy mouthed damage control 

Kobach's letter argues the legality of mail order distribution of the pill both at a federal level and by Kansas law.

Further in Kansas, by law, abortion pills must only be dispensed by a physician and used in the presence of the physician.

All of which is in the letters CF linked.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Is Publix the company actually MAGA/anti-American in any meaningful way or is it just the heiress shithead/Florida Johnny Sack stuff? 

This hints at a greater issue:  finding a moderately successful corporate entity that consistently takes a progressive "civil rights" stance is difficult.  Ultimately, I need to buy food, electricity, gasoline.  I'm not going to try to weed out the corporate bad actors when the overwhelming majority are bad actors.

^

Good point.  Day-to-Day, most corporations have some stance or supply chain or investment thesis or HR policy that I disagree with...but a family has to eat and travel and watch shows.  But when they put it out there as their badge of honor, and people take a stand against it, that's their fucking stupidity.  And I am more than happy to exploit it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This hints at a greater issue:  finding a moderately successful corporate entity that consistently takes a progressive "civil rights" stance is difficult.  Ultimately, I need to buy food, electricity, gasoline.  I'm not going to try to weed out the corporate bad actors when the overwhelming majority are bad actors.

yeah I don't know what my exact limit is - take Goya, I'll buy store brand chipotles in adobo every time but I'm not going to not get sazon. I won't go to chik fil a but I like tasty food anyways so no sacrifice. at any rate, the line is higher than "a founder who is no longer in leadership is a shithead or some shithead trust fund baby is a shithead" for me to go out of my way.

Edited by Celery Man

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

And it's both a micro and macro-level problem.  Companies are going to donate to whatever party is in charge at local, state, and federal levels, which may mean donating to both parties (which we see all the time).  And then you have the founders/executives who are rich people who are going to donate to whoever helps them maintain or increase their wealth.

Ideally, we'd cut companies out of the picture - they should not be able to donate to the politicians who regulate them.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

And it's both a micro and macro-level problem.  Companies are going to donate to whatever party is in charge at local, state, and federal levels, which may mean donating to both parties (which we see all the time).  And then you have the founders/executives who are rich people who are going to donate to whoever helps them maintain or increase their wealth.

Ideally, we'd cut companies out of the picture - they should not be able to donate to the politicians who regulate them.

and that's just it. we need money out of politics altogether. make all campaigns publicly financed and each party gets the same amount. oh, and if your party manages to secure 5% (or 10% or 15% - I dunno pick a number) or more of the vote, you're financed too. no more two party bullshit. we might have to fight back the literal nazi party in the future, but at least they won't be hiding behind one of the two and only parties at play

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The only MAGA store I shop at is Publix. There isn’t another option nearby that doesn’t suck. 

Yeah, I spend a fair amount of time in FL, and I go to Publix when I'm down there.  When my kid lived in Alabama, the choices were Publix and Walmart.  That's an easy one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah I don't know what my exact limit is - take Goya, I'll buy store brand chipotles in adobo every time but I'm not going to not get sazon. I won't go to chik fil a but I like tasty food anyways so no sacrifice. at any rate, the line is higher than "a founder who is no longer in leadership is a shithead or some shithead trust fund baby is a shithead" for me to go out of my way.

https://bodega.badiaspices.com/product/sazon-tropical-bundle/?gclid=Cj0KCQiApKagBhC1ARIsAFc7Mc4JbicCTino4xmk5fpARgWQfpKLnkm6E-g1gghBVbUwmnGcA0TAvSsaAkoAEALw_wcB

On 3/8/2023 at 2:06 AM, YGIFS said:

Pro-tip: He should have picked up the guys in the parking lot if he wanted some fucking work done.