2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is going to field the best team it's had since 2008 in the upcoming season. They will be relevant in the playoff discussion, beat Bama in Tuscaloosa, and win the conference. Take off your protective, wet blanketed armor of maudlin self-loathing, get your shit together, and gear the fuck up, pussies.

Sounds like someone is jacking off to Sark fantasies right now. Glad to see you catch up to where I was 9 months ago in seeing where this thing is headed.  

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sounds like someone is jacking off to Sark fantasies right now. Glad to see you catch up to where I was 9 months ago in seeing where this thing is headed.  

Huh? The single biggest liability for this season is Seven Win Steve. That’s everyone’s apprehension that hasn’t run a fucking RV into a bridge. He’s the only reason not to believe. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? The single biggest liability for this season is Seven Win Steve. That’s everyone’s apprehension that hasn’t run a fucking RV into a bridge. He’s the only reason not to believe. 

Eh- he’s the guy running the ship and he’s managed to not fuck up what’s going on in talent acquisition and program vibe like the last 3 guys have over the previous 14 years or like the moron over at CS is working on. 
that was always more of a push back to the mouth breathers who saw 6-6 as an apex and an overall declaration that the program was headed in the right direction. 
I said basically that the talent acquisition was going to overwhelm any of his inadequacies (hopefully). 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Eh- he’s the guy running the ship and he’s managed to not fuck up what’s going on in talent acquisition and program vibe like the last 3 guys have over the previous 14 years or like the moron over at CS is working on. 
that was always more of a push back to the mouth breathers who saw 6-6 as an apex and an overall declaration that the program was headed in the right direction. 
I said basically that the talent acquisition was going to overwhelm any of his inadequacies (hopefully). 

Also, to be completely honest... he's the best offensive mind we've had on campus since Emory Bellard.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

2009 Defense was slightly more talented than 2023. And by slightly I mean at every position with maybe DT and ILB having an argument. 

2008, DT was insane. Leach singled them out in his book. The BACKUP for those guys was an NFL starter.

56 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

2009 Defense was slightly more talented than 2023. And by slightly I mean at every position with maybe DT and ILB having an argument. 

Blake Gideon started, our ends on one side were Acho and Jones and our depth wasn't great. Buck was much better in 2009 with Kindle and a freshman Okafor.

Edited by Bevo

56 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s the Mack Brown plan.  Except Sark isn’t as good of an in-game coach as Mack was, which is frankly pretty sad, because not being stupid during the game seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to pull off for most people who have been coaching football for 20 years.   Even Sark himself managed to do it in games like Baylor and Iowa State because his QB stunk up the joint so bad that he used rat learning to find the cheese.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Counterpoint:
This team lost to tech in overtime on the road with a backup QB who is no longer with the program.
Quinn was 5-2 in conference play with a road loss stinker in Stillwater and a home loss stinker to the team who wound up in the CFP title game. Even then we lost by a combined 14 points to two top 10 teams (at the time). 
My jets are going to be going full blast all year and I am going to burn a thujone penis into your yard. 

If we just had some semblance of a pass rush and stopped them just a couple more times on 4th down, we would have won. Still pisses me off.

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We are still a very, very long ways away from reaching this point. 

Look, the word hopefully is doing a lot of work in that sentence, but we are at a point where we are as talented as all but a couple teams in the country and way more talented than anyone in our conference. 
absent some bizarre level officiating fuckery like OSU that one year (pick a year honestly) or a biblical rash of injuries of he doesn’t win 10 this year he should be drawn and quartered and horsewhipped. 

also- you are going to have to tell me where we are so far away. I see skill position players as good as anyone in the country. A massive OL that should be pretty good, a really good secondary, an AA LB, really good interior DL and good enough on the edges to be Ok. 
We’ve got 2 question marks on the entire team and one of them we have a 5 star freshman to fill and the other one (edge) we have 5 Or 6 interesting guys that should be able to lock down a workable platoon. 
this is absolutely a team talented to overwhelm anyone on our schedule outside of Bama, and I’m planting my flag right now we have a better roster than them considering their terrible QB situation. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

then all it takes is an opposing coach to use an effective gameplan to shut down our advantages. 

Then Esteban is fucking lost. Midgame adjustments?  Wassat?

IF we fucks it up and goes 8-4 or 9-3 absent some really unique situations we will know definitively he isn't the guy.  That's not a bad place to be I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

of he doesn’t win 10 this year he should be drawn and quartered and horsewhipped. 

That’s the whole point. I think most would agree the roster is double digit wins good. It’s Sark. His teams always have a few games a year where they don’t show up, and he almost never makes adjustments. He’s been a HC for 9 years at very good programs and never once won 10 games. There’s probably a reason for that. 

No amount of talent was going to make us win that TCU game, because Sark got thoroughly out coached the entire game and didn’t even try to adjust until the 4th quarter when it was way too late. On top of that, we’ll be finding out what impact GP had on the defense last year since he’s gone now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This team should have won 10 last year. We were up double digits in two losses. That kept us from getting another game.

In those games, Sark showed why he was 7 Win Steve. But the players did leave lots on the table too.

Covid and probably NIL bailed out the defense last year - DMO, Coburn, Cook, Jamison.

This upcoming year. Talents better at all but RB - it isn’t bad there. Experience and experience in the scheme ticks up a notch.

And really the hope for improvement as always starts upfront and then the QB position. The Ol should without a doubt be better. Consistency is needed with some occasional dominance. That’ll happen. I’m a little less confident in the DL making another jump, but it’s possible. If they maintain in the run game, they’re a winner. I would assume there’ll be a slight uptick in the pass rush but does it come at the expense of run D.

Ewers will be better. Maybe significantly better.

Anything less than a conference championship is underachieving.

• Hook 'Em 7

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s the whole point. I think most would agree the roster is double digit wins good. It’s Sark. His teams always have a few games a year where they don’t show up, and he almost never makes adjustments. He’s been a HC for 9 years at very good programs and never once won 10 games. There’s probably a reason for that. 

No amount of talent was going to make us win that TCU game, because Sark got thoroughly out coached the entire game and didn’t even try to adjust until the 4th quarter when it was way too late. On top of that, we’ll be finding out what impact GP had on the defense last year since he’s gone now. 

He’s also never really had a roster like this. 
he took over for an 0-12 Washington team and the USC team he had was down 20 scholarships and kiffin had already done kiffin things. I think we all know what our roster shortcomings were here. 
this is his first truly top 5 or top 10 roster all throughout. We will see what he does with it. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is going to field the best team it's had since 2008 in the upcoming season. They will be relevant in the playoff discussion, beat Bama in Tuscaloosa, and win the conference. Take off your protective, wet blanketed armor of maudlin self-loathing, get your shit together, and gear the fuck up, pussies.

Hell yeah, 11 wins or Bust!!

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

ok nvm, back to drinking

• Haha 3

He’s also never really had a roster like this. 
he took over for an 0-12 Washington team and the USC team he had was down 20 scholarships and kiffin had already done kiffin things. I think we all know what our roster shortcomings were here. 
this is his first truly top 5 or top 10 roster all throughout. We will see what he does with it. 

I feel confident in saying he’s never had a roster like this. At some point, you amass enough talent (it’s not that easy to do obviously) that there are only 1-2 teams that could legitimately beat you then there there 1-2 who are prime for upsetting you. Just winning half of those gets you to 10. It’s probably only Bama talent wise this year then 2 conference opponents that have a shot at upsetting us. Probably OU. I don’t even know who else. ISU maybe.

Mack couldn’t win a conference championship until he did. Unfortunately his shortcomings meant those were too few over the years. Sark can win 10 and likely will. It just needs to happen consistently. In Sarks favor, I think he’s strategically seeking higher end talent than Mack particularly NFL type Olinemen.
  • Like 1

Pretty much this. It’s plainly obvious that this roster has the potential to be a 10 win team, win the Big 12, finish top 10 and be in the CFP conversation, etc. I don’t know how you could go up and down the roster and not come to that conclusion.

It’s also plainly obvious that Sark hasn’t shown to be capable of maximizing his team’s potential in roughly a decade as a HC.

I don’t blame anyone for being excited and expecting big things. The bar for this team should be high. But given how much of that potential relies on projection that is dependent on coaching - Ewers taking a significant step, young guys at RB, WR, and defensive back 7 coming along - I think it’s reasonable to be skeptical.

Maybe that’s being a pussy or hedging my take or whatever but it’s just hard to chug kool aid with Sark.
  • Hook 'Em 2

The roster is very talented, but we've always had guys who we expected to come in and be great that just hasn't panned out.  The glaring problem with our program is that we've gone 15 years without a great QB.  Ehlinger had 1.5 good years here, but outside of that it hasn't been great.  It's the most important position in all of sports for a reason.  If Quinn gets it figured out then we should be a 10+ win team.  If not we will win 8ish.  I think it's really that simple.

52 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I like Sark. I'm rooting for him. The only thing that stands out, that's really inarguable, is the halftime adjustment problem. I only remember one game where he seemed to do something different in the second half based on first half performance. Even if it doesn't work at least we know his head is in the fucking game. Seems a head coach without a knack for such things could delegate the job pretty damn easily, pick and choose like an executive should.

• Hook 'Em 1

People act like the Washington game didn't happen. Steve lost that very very winnable game somehow to avoid 9 wins. 

The talent last year was more than good enough and arguably it was better because it was upper classman laden talent that left and Bijan. 

I have no faith in Sark. None. Zip. Zero. Zilch. I think if he gets covid and can't coach we auto win that game. So maybe he should get sick for the important ones. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

At some point, you amass enough talent (it’s not that easy to do obviously) that there are only 1-2 teams that could legitimately beat you then there there 1-2 who are prime for upsetting you. Just winning half of those gets you to 10. It’s probably only Bama talent wise this year then 2 conference opponents that have a shot at upsetting us. Probably OU. I don’t even know who else. ISU maybe.

Counterpoint: 

Jimbo Fisher can keep up Texas A&M's momentum by adapting (again) -  SBNation.com

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

We are still a very, very long ways away from reaching this point. 

totally agree. Ewers shows a ton of talent, but consistency will be the key. To get to 10 wins he needs to take a major step forward. The OL is talented, but is anyone confident in the interior OL? Can Texas run vs a team with solid interior DL play (didnt happen last year)?  Can they finally learn to pick up stunts? Catalon is missing practices again for a procedure to "clean things up" according to Sark's presser. Will Texas have any play making in the back end? Will there be a pass rush? 

Who are high level guys that are proven? Ford, Banks, Sweat/Murphy, Worthy. You have AD Mitchell and Catalon. Catalon hasnt been able to stay on the field. Mitchell hasnt put together a season of high level play. 

Talent is there is win 10 game, but people will need to step up. Injuries can always change the outlook. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

People act like the Washington game didn't happen. Steve lost that very very winnable game somehow to avoid 9 wins. 

The talent last year was more than good enough and arguably it was better because it was upper classman laden talent that left and Bijan. 

I have no faith in Sark. None. Zip. Zero. Zilch. I think if he gets covid and can't coach we auto win that game. So maybe he should get sick for the important ones. 

Correct. That was a game where Texas got its ass whipped on the LOS. That was the 1st game without Bijan and Rojo. Texas OL failed that test. Any game Texas throws it 47 times and runs it 18 is likely a loss. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Who are high level guys that are proven? Ford, Banks, Sweat/Murphy, Worthy.

Sanders was your big miss. Watts, Christian Jones, Thompson, Whittington if we're being generous. That's a lot of returning talent before even getting into some of the names you mentioned, plus a shitload of others. I'm worried we're about to get in a 9-3 cycle. Post 2026: "How can we fire him, he just went 9-3 again."

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? The single biggest liability for this season is Seven Win Steve.

I’d argue the biggest liability we have is QB play, especially since we lost 2 NFL running backs. Oh and a defense that can’t get off the field on third downs or generate a pass rush.

2008 we had one of the most accurate QBs in college football history. 

All that said, our conference is trash and it’s winnable. But playoffs? JimMora.jpeg

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

Stop being a pussy. DMO, Bijan and RoJo play in that game we win by 10. We were relegated to essentially a 4th string scat back on offense. If Quinn and the passing attack wasn't so good we would have been boat raced. The team last year was dramatically improved from the year before but still inconsistent. This was a 9 win talent team last year. That doesn't mean they were good. It could have been a 10 or 11 win team. Low end was 7. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sanders was your big miss. Watts, Christian Jones, Thompson, Whittington if we're being generous. That's a lot of returning talent before even getting into some of the names you mentioned, plus a shitload of others. I'm worried we're about to get in a 9-3 cycle. Post 2026: "How can we fire him, he just went 9-3 again."

Sanders is a huge miss. That was bad.. I dont think Watts is high level guy. Great vs the run, but can struggle in coverage. Jones is the offensive version of that. Whittington is a great with the ball in his hands and blocking, but mediocre at WR things (plus health issues). 

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

totally agree. Ewers shows a ton of talent, but consistency will be the key. To get to 10 wins he needs to take a major step forward. The OL is talented, but is anyone confident in the interior OL? Can Texas run vs a team with solid interior DL play (didnt happen last year)?  Can they finally learn to pick up stunts? Catalon is missing practices again for a procedure to "clean things up" according to Sark's presser. Will Texas have any play making in the back end? Will there be a pass rush? 

Who are high level guys that are proven? Ford, Banks, Sweat/Murphy, Worthy. You have AD Mitchell and Catalon. Catalon hasnt been able to stay on the field. Mitchell hasnt put together a season of high level play. 

Talent is there is win 10 game, but people will need to step up. Injuries can always change the outlook. 

Now do our opponents.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Our team will be more effective in the second half as our OL becomes more mature in running the base offense. Sark needs to learn how to sprinkle his wrinkles in even after they show they can stop it once or twice.
Our guys need to make it harder to diagnose what plays we’re running. If we do a better job of making plays look the same, we’ll be harder to stop in the second half. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexTexTex said:

The roster is very talented, but we've always had guys who we expected to come in and be great that just hasn't panned out.  The glaring problem with our program is that we've gone 15 years without a great QB.  Ehlinger had 1.5 good years here, but outside of that it hasn't been great.  It's the most important position in all of sports for a reason.  If Quinn gets it figured out then we should be a 10+ win team.  If not we will win 8ish.  I think it's really that simple.

That's because for 20+ years we've had coaches who were shit at developing.

47 minutes ago, immamac said:

Same. Watching TCU in the title game was the most enraging thing ever. We have so much more talent than they do but Steve shit his panties against an inferior opponent......again.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Stop being a pussy. DMO, Bijan and RoJo play in that game we win by 10. We were relegated to essentially a 4th string scat back on offense. If Quinn and the passing attack wasn't so good we would have been boat raced. The team last year was dramatically improved from the year before but still inconsistent. This was a 9 win talent team last year. That doesn't mean they were good. It could have been a 10 or 11 win team. Low end was 7. 

Last years team was a 10 win minimum team talent wise, maybe even 11. Shithead Steve decided that J Brooks should ride the pine because he's a braindead fucking moron.

You will never convince me that with Sarklostagain at the helm that this team will win anything important, because to do that you have to outcoach someone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic