What would it take for Rodney Terry to earn the job?

HookEm

Criteria to give Rodney Terry the job  

234 members have voted

1. 1. If you were CDC, what would it take this season for you to offer Rodney Terry the full-time job?

• He has already earned it. Give him the job.
    • Beat Colgate
    • Advance to the Sweet 16 (likely beating Aggy)
    • Advance to the Elite 8
    • Advance to the Final Four
    • Advance to the Championship
    • Win the National Title
    • He cannot earn it. Nothing this season will erase his previous mediocre performance.

28 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Holy goddamn fuck Derka is the voice of reason on this thread.

Derka has always had a great perspective on basketball.

He just needs to motherfucking step away from the goddamned keyboard every now and then and recognize that everyone else sees that the idiots he's arguing with are being idiots, and doesn't have to win every damn internet argument.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Something to consider is that it's not in Terry's interest to negotiate right now - the more he wins the more leverage he will have. 

Coaches that make the Final Four and/or win national titles don't get cheap or short contracts. If we somehow win it all he'll have lots of options and we'll have to pay to keep him. Nobody will give a shit what he did at Fresno or UTEP.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, The Dog said:

keep him. Nobody will give a shit what he did at Fresno or UTEP.

Couldn’t make a bowl game in 27 years.l at utep or Fresno. Pass.  Bring on Jay Wright

Just now, closetohumping said:

Couldn’t make a bowl game in 27 years.l at utep or Fresno. Pass.  Bring on Jay Wright

I mean Andy enfield

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Derka has always had a great perspective on basketball.

He just needs to motherfucking step away from the goddamned keyboard every now and then and recognize that everyone else sees that the idiots he's arguing with are being idiots, and doesn't have to win every damn internet argument.

He’s also very respectful on reviewing cinema 

3 hours ago, VinyVango said:

Absent Donovan or wright being interested I think signing Terry for 4-5 years with performance incentives and a low buyout is a reasonable choice

Holy shit, neither of those guys were ever interested. Fucking give this wish casting a break. The only person who really knows what is "going on" is Hamilton and he reported weeks ago that Donovan's people laughed at the suggestion.

Wright is fucking having a blast and killing it on TV, he's done coaching the college game.

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

No coach or agent in the country is agreeing to a 3 year incentive laden contract. Terry should fire his agent on the spot if he brings that to him to sign. This is a business and whether we want to admit it or not he will likely have options.

You either want him to be your coach or you don’t. If you try to do some cute 3 year contract because you aren’t sure and you hurt recruiting and his ability to retain/hire a quality staff, then Texas has no one to blame but themselves.

I would let him walk then if we have a good candidate lined up. We are taking a major chance on him if we were to give him a 5 year deal at the level Beard got. Not a smart move.

6 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I would let him walk then if we have a good candidate lined up. We are taking a major chance on him if we were to give him a 5 year deal at the level Beard got. Not a smart move.

There’s not much of a chance imo. Pay him 22 mil over 5 years.  Agree to a light buyout

You serious, Clark? Letting a coach walk who has delivered the most successful season in a couple decades and potentially the history of the program?

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

There’s not much of a chance imo. Pay him 22 mil over 5 years.  Agree to a light buyout

A small buyout would be fine I guess. If the dude is a good coach, an incentive heavy contract shouldnt scare him. This board is funny, we are a god mode performance by Disu from choking out the door to Penn State and everyone would be calling for his head. I applaud what he is doing and think he should get a shot at head coach. But half this board wants to give him elite coach pay and terms when he has not yet proven to be at that level. 

I laugh at all the people suggesting Terry is just going to agree to some small buy out. He just took Texas to the elite 8, while I am sure his first choice is to be at Texas. The man has options now and this is a business on his side as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

A small buyout would be fine I guess. If the dude is a good coach, an incentive heavy contract shouldnt scare him. This board is funny, we are a god mode performance by Disu from choking out the door to Penn State and everyone would be calling for his head. I applaud what he is doing and think he should get a shot at head coach. But half this board wants to give him elite coach pay and terms when he has not yet proven to be at that level. 

Dude, what do you care what he gets paid? It’s not your fucking money.

Edited by Kermit
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

It’s a balance. He doesn’t deserve a top 15 contract but don’t disrespect him. 

also I can’t discredit this tourney run.  We’ve controlled like 105 out of 120 minutes. This ain’t luck. I’ve been bored almost.  

I like that our team is old and deep but admittedly not sure how many of these guys are nba starters 

12 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I laugh at all the people suggesting Terry is just going to agree to some small buy out. He just took Texas to the elite 8, while I am sure his first choice is to be at Texas. The man has options now and this is a business on his side as well. 

He doesn’t have options as good as Texas.  As of right now he can’t get a contract like beard

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He has some leverage. He’s earned the job but I don’t think we need to over pay here

Once we have decided to hire him - why do you care if he gets paid 3.5M a year or 5? That is not going to make a difference to the university.

We should pay the man the going rate, I am pretty sure CDC can figure out what that is.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We are Texas. When have we ever wanted to fire a coach but had to keep him because of his buyout/contract?

Pay the man his money, give him the support he needs to hopefully maximize success and don’t half ass it. If we need to move on in 3 or 4 years then we will pay the money for him to go away just like we have every other coach we’ve ever moved on from.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Once we have decided to hire him - why do you care if he gets paid 3.5M a year or 5? That is not going to make a difference to the university.

We should pay the man the going rate, I am pretty sure CDC can figure out what that is.  

You would be a very poor businessman. Why not just pay the man his money and fully guarantee everything? It isn't my money right? 

There are many reasons you should care how he is paid. First, giving people high buyout, 5 years, with elite level pay can absolutely create complacency. Ask yourself the flip question, why would he need it to have a high buyout without incentives if he is such a stud coach? Because all coaches arent totally sure they will deliver. Why negotiate against yourself? 

Second, if we pay him too much and guarantee too much and also make too high of a buyout. It will be harder to get rid of him if he flames out. It makes it more difficult to pivot and pay a coach with an elite resume to come in and take over the program. We dont want another Shaka situation where we suffer in mediocrity because we are stuck with a big contract and a high buyout. 

Third, coaches will take notice of what is happening with Terry, they see a guy with no elite level coaching experience get an elite level contract, that will be used against you the next time you come to the table to get a good coach. The agent will say "My client has won a national championship and been successful in major conferences and Terry had nowhere near that amount of success and got XYZ as his terms. My client deserves much better than that."

And lastly, you should care if your university is being wasteful with money and making bad decisions. Salaries are already insanely inflated as it is. I would rather see us be strategic and not stupid with the money we do have. It is a pretty stupid take to say we should be reckless with money just because we have it. That's how you end up like the dipshit aggies strapped to Jimbo and pissing away millions upon millions due to piss poor decision making. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You would be a very poor businessman. Why not just pay the man his money and fully guarantee everything? It isn't my money right? 

There are many reasons you should care how he is paid. First, giving people high buyout, 5 years, with elite level pay can absolutely create complacency. Ask yourself the flip question, why would he need it to have a high buyout without incentives if he is such a stud coach? Because all coaches arent totally sure they will deliver. Why negotiate against yourself? 

Second, if we pay him too much and guarantee too much and also make too high of a buyout. It will be harder to get rid of him if he flames out. It makes it more difficult to pivot and pay a coach with an elite resume to come in and take over the program. We dont want another Shaka situation where we suffer in mediocrity because we are stuck with a big contract and a high buyout. 

Third, coaches will take notice of what is happening with Terry, they see a guy with no elite level coaching experience get an elite level contract, that will be used against you the next time you come to the table to get a good coach. The agent will say "My client has won a national championship and been successful in major conferences and Terry had nowhere near that amount of success and got XYZ as his terms. My client deserves much better than that."

And lastly, you should care if your university is being wasteful with money and making bad decisions. Salaries are already insanely inflated as it is. I would rather see us be strategic and not stupid with the money we do have. It is a pretty stupid take to say we should be reckless with money just because we have it. That's how you end up like the dipshit aggies strapped to Jimbo and pissing away millions upon millions due to piss poor decision making. 

That’s not how it any of this works. Texas is going to pay him the going rate for new hires at a prestigious basketball school. They’re not going to undercut him by giving him a shitty contact so he can prove himself. He’s already done so. I’m sure your masturbatory business thesis you typed up sounded better in your head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you're really really invested in fighting people over this. newsflash dum dum: we're all on the same team here. everybody is happy. everybody loves rodney terry. you can stop trying to seek out fights over this. 

Yeah, this is a weird hill to die on.  I didn't see enough evidence to hire him after the regular season, but at this point I think it would be silly not to make him permanent.  In what world is it wrong to look for more data before making a decision?  To me, the risk/reward has swung and we should act on that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, this is a weird hill to die on.  I didn't see enough evidence to hire him after the regular season, but at this point I think it would be silly not to make him permanent.  In what world is it wrong to look for more data before making a decision?  To me, the risk/reward has swung and we should act on that.

Over one out of three respondents said we’d need to make the final four to approve of a Terry hire.  Ain’t no hill to talk about.  I said elite 8.  Got guys pointing out these are Chris’s players, rt may not be able to organize a roster, Chris is innocent, we got a good draw, Rodney mumbles too much etc.  so it’s not line I’m muckraking for the sake of muckraking.  Derka came back. Still a few posters missing.  
the non emotional side of the board said to let the season play out and let’s get some data. Don’t recall many players saying.l to hand rod the job five games in. 

Derka loves the board too much to disappear but several posters aren’t jumping back in. Ironic enough I think you and I share the same criteria. He’s done enough to win the job 

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Over one out of three respondents said we’d need to make the final four to approve of a Terry hire.  

there was definitely some ambiguity regarding both the poll and the thread. for example i voted "sweet 16", because my feeling was that CDC would hire RT if he made the S16. however- it's clear that plenty of people interpreted the question as, "what would RT have to do to prove to you that he's empirically good enough to deserve the job", and if i had been answering that question then my answer would have been, "i don't care if this team wins the entire thing, my opinion of RT as a head coach is what it is, and there's nothing that this very special, experienced, deep, driven, player-led team can accomplish to change that." you're insistent that everyone who voted that way still wants to fire RT after this season even if we win the national title. i seriously doubt that anyone else here is reading it that way, because nobody here feels that way. simmer down a little bit and try and be objective about this. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there was definitely some ambiguity regarding both the poll and the thread. for example i voted "sweet 16", because my feeling was that CDC would hire RT if he made the S16. however- it's clear that plenty of people interpreted the question as, "what would RT have to do to prove to you that he's empirically good enough to deserve the job", and if i had been answering that question then my answer would have been, "i don't care if this team wins the entire thing, my opinion of RT as a head coach is what it is, and there's nothing that this very special, experienced, deep, driven, player-led team can accomplish to change that." you're insistent that everyone who voted that way still wants to fire RT after this season even if we win the national title. i seriously doubt that anyone else here is reading it that way, because nobody here feels that way. simmer down a little bit and try and be objective about this. 

Cool so you’re saying o matter what Rodney does he wouldn’t be your guy?  Admire you for sticking to your guns but am also befuddled that you’re telling people to simmer down when you wrote biblical verses and call people names the moment they disagree with you?  

I’ve been pretty clear that I think we could do better tha Rodney but will also admit that he’s won the job and am pretty disappointed that you don’t realize when you say player-led team you’re actually slighting Rodney.  Or maybe you do realize that?  Still got that Fresno utep chip on your shoulder. 

you have this aggressiveness about every fucking topic on this board, not just Rodney. Sometimes you gotta just take the L. A lot of us initially said no to Rodney but now realize he’s won the job and just want to enjoy the ride. 

the fact that, as you said, your opinion of Rodney will not change is a you thug , not a me thing. 

1 minute ago, Radical Larry said:

Terry needs to go to the NBA and coach the Hornets to a title while getting PJ Washington to an All-NBA team and securing a supermax contract.

- Surly probably

Still not Texas good.  Bring on John sheyer 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Cool so you’re saying o matter what Rodney does he wouldn’t be your guy?  Admire you for sticking to your guns but am also befuddled that you’re telling people to simmer down when you wrote biblical verses and call people names the moment they disagree with you?  

I’ve been pretty clear that I think we could do better tha Rodney but will also admit that he’s won the job and am pretty disappointed that you don’t realize when you say player-led team you’re actually slighting Rodney.  Or maybe you do realize that?  Still got that Fresno utep chip on your shoulder. 

you have this aggressiveness about every fucking topic on this board, not just Rodney. Sometimes you gotta just take the L. A lot of us initially said no to Rodney but now realize he’s won the job and just want to enjoy the ride. 

the fact that, as you said, your opinion of Rodney will not change is a you thug , not a me thing. 

Still not Texas good.  Bring on John sheyer 

you're a childish antagonist who has zero desire to have a legitimate discussion about this. but uh, have fun on your manic witch hunt. 👌🏼 

• Hook 'Em 1