The Austin / Rainey St / Lake Serial Killer

tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

You could put my picture in this group and I would not stand out. Guess I need to stay the fuck away from Rainey 

Luis Ramirez kind of looks like the main guy on Scorpion

Edited by Bevo

Really cool how the press release from the cops asks for anybody with knowledge of the case reach out to them after they give absolutely no information about the person. No race, gender, hair length/color, approximate height/weight/age, clothing… all of those would be something they could say unless the body had been in there for a long time, but even then they should still be able to give a few of those details.

• Hook 'Em 1

Technically it’s the 4th body pulled from the lake in the last 3 months. Two have been identified and this latest one has not (there was one between John’s and Honey’s drownings.) but essentially 8 drownings in 10 months and “none of them are suspicious” according to police but then you get on Twitter (and yes the vast majority of them are probably FOS) but said they were on Rainey last night and saw a few Texas Rangers. Can’t confirm that at all. But who the hell knows? Apparently there’s no connection and no reason to be concerned at all. Unless you get too drunk and don’t abide by the park hours and rules. But for a lake that you’re not allowed to swim in nor should you ever: 8 drownings in 10 months. Okeedokee! 

I’d be curious why the last victim hasn’t been identified. (homeless person, no ID, haven’t notified family, don’t want more panic if we find out it’s another 20-40 year old guy with dark hair last seen on Rainey Street I guess are the possible reasons.) With the two drownings in December I assumed they were homeless people because they were never identified by name in any of the local news articles. It’s possibly they couldn’t ID them? Or reporters never followed up for a name? Just odd. So 6 drownings since December that we know of where bodies have been found. Only know the identities of two of the drowning victims. 

Only thing I’d say in defense of that stat is before the invasion of paddle boards the only people that ever went into the water was Texas Crew, that one pontoon tour boat company, and the occasional canoes from Zilker. The massive increase in the lake being turned into a recreational area would naturally lead to an increase in people thinking it was safe to swim in, especially young folks that haven’t lived here long

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

The massive increase in the lake being turned into a recreational area would naturally lead to an increase in people thinking it was safe to swim in, especially young folks that haven’t lived here long

Some girl at the office, who hasn't lived here that long, went paddle boarding on Town Lake and developed some ugly skin infection from being in that water. 

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Only thing I’d say in defense of that stat is before the invasion of paddle boards the only people that ever went into the water was Texas Crew, that one pontoon tour boat company, and the occasional canoes from Zilker. The massive increase in the lake being turned into a recreational area would naturally lead to an increase in people thinking it was safe to swim in, especially young folks that haven’t lived here long

Is there one paddle boarder, canoer, or kayaker among the victims?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Yup... I never knew anyone who spent any time on Town Lake other than friends who were in Crew.  Now its a totally different story... me included.  Also, you see more people FAFO in Barton Springs below Barking Springs.  Saw one girl climb out all bloody after using a rope swing and hitting some sunken metal somethingorother (official term)

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Note to self:  Do not sign up for Nicole's Town Lake evening swimming lessons.

Hey I’m a certified lifeguard! (no shit) I have only found one drowning in the last 16 months or so that was due to recreational activities. where it was established that person was with other people for those purposes. At least combing the archives. The lake is full of harmful bacteria and that’s also been established. No reason to go on it or in it. Unless you want to look like the Fly in a few months after being in it/on it. 

Anyway just repeating the warnings that most people going down to Rainey should heed:

I've lived here off and on since the 70s, and so I know you don't swim in Town Lake.  But I honestly don't know exactly why.  I understand that there is some nasty shit in the water, but why?  It doesn't make any sense that Town Lake would have a lot of nasty shit in it when you can swim perfectly fine in Lake Austin and Barton Springs.  

And I know there are some submerged hazards.  But I have no idea what is down there or why it would be down there.  I've heard stories of old cars down there, but . . . wtf?  Why would there be old cars down there?

Routine Monitoring (Updated 3/10/23): Blue-green algae is present at Red Bud Isle on Lady Bird Lake and at Jessica Hollis Park on Lake Austin. The blue-green algae is mixed in with lots of green algae. We have not tested the algae. Please assume it may be toxic and avoid it. Scroll down for recommendations.

Routine algae sampling is focused on the traditional algae growth seasons of summer and fall and is paused during winter and spring to allow staff time to process data and adjust methods accordingly. 
https://www.austintexas.gov/page/algae

————————————
There is a lot more information at the above link. Since 2019 when several dogs were either sickened or died from from drinking out of the lake the Watershed Protection department (which tests the lake and other bodies of water bi-weekly) has put around 30,000 pounds of Phoslock into Town Lake which cuts off nutrients to the algae and keeps it from spreading. They began this treatment last spring and summer and the testing and the Phoslock has so far costed the city $300,000. As you can see from the information I cut and pasted from the link the last tests showed the presence of the blue green algae…

Look, in short, the lake is a toxic cesspool. It is. It’s dumb to do anything on or in it. Yes, other bodies of water around Austin have their own toxins and so forth but it’s not the same as the Town Lake issues. Far more toxic and harmful than the other bodies of water. 

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Some girl at the office, who hasn't lived here that long, went paddle boarding on Town Lake and developed some ugly skin infection from being in that water. 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And not from meeting up with somebody on a Rainey Street bar.

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

No no it was from the water. My boyfriend told me so! 

2_yRBolJo16h2a-x5Kw4-QiY9BuuKqsiuQFKK1gM

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I've lived here off and on since the 70s, and so I know you don't swim in Town Lake.  But I honestly don't know exactly why.  I understand that there is some nasty shit in the water, but why?  It doesn't make any sense that Town Lake would have a lot of nasty shit in it when you can swim perfectly fine in Lake Austin and Barton Springs.  

And I know there are some submerged hazards.  But I have no idea what is down there or why it would be down there.  I've heard stories of old cars down there, but . . . wtf?  Why would there be old cars down there?

You don't swim in Town Lake because of shrinkage.

• Haha 1

Too soon dude, too soon.

(Drunk Rainey Street guys), "Four drinks in this chop and I'm a full meter under!" 

And ugh, those Rainey District bars have the cheesiest names!

-Not this place Nicole, it's called the "Numb Bar Yard" 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And apparently they got a young Robert Ullrich.

Which I can only assume ruling our hiring Spencer to solve this mystery.

We got no Rockford, no Columbo, no Perry Mason, no Jessica Fletcher, no Matlock, no Spencer…no one will be able to solve this shit. Lulz. It won’t even be a cool Unsolved Mystery because no Stack and no Farina. 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We got no Rockford, no Columbo, no Perry Mason, no Jessica Fletcher, no Matlock, no Spencer…no one will be able to solve this shit. Lulz. It won’t even be a cool Unsolved Mystery because no Stack and no Farina. 

Shit.  This is Austin.  I'd be thrilled if we could muster up Encyclopedia Brown.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Murder She Wrote...so many murders in that little town and Jessica Fletcher can be sleazy

off the rails

or in Hawaii