The Austin / Rainey St / Lake Serial Killer

tx 3 putt

On 4/3/2023 at 10:03 PM, Updawg said:

I haven’t been to Rainey street in like at least 8-10 years. Seems far from the the lake when I went, nobody would venture to the lake basically from Rainey 

On 4/4/2023 at 12:36 AM, atomheartbevo said:

If it's any consolation, when this thread popped up, I had to go look up where it was at (I haven't really done the 6th street/bar hopping/etc. thing in over 10 years, since my first kid was born).  I was off by about 6 blocks.

27 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I have no clue about it either. I may have to read Rachel Carson’s book “The Silent Spring” from 1962. The lake is really a damn reservoir created by the Longhorn Dam…sigh… 

One of you kids that like playing with maps, post a good pic for the rest of us non-Austin degenerates. You'll probably get lots of rep. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Town Lake Lopper

52794530239_20e97a1bd5_c.jpg

I like Town Lake Plopper.

For the sound the bodies make when he throws them in the water....and because it alludes to the shitty town lake water.

Edited by ABSR
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

That doesn’t give a great idea of distance. 

All of the bars are north of the intersection of Rainey and Holly.  South of that is all residential towers.  The most direct route from that intersection is about 900' from the water.

image.thumb.png.1693a8c6c1ea611aa10e5819b56ad6a5.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

That doesn’t give a great idea of distance. I’ll rep only on principle. 

You're spending too much time on reposting photos from IG...(and we thank you).

Walking directly down Rainey from the bars, it is at least 200-300 yards to the water (stopped now by the cedar split rail fencing that has been put up). My sis and BL used to own a condo at Milago and I occasionally got to use it. For drunks ( males with dark hair) to continually walk (stumble) down there (that far) and drown in the river/lake seems more than just a coincidence to me.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I have no clue about it either. I may have to read Rachel Carson’s book “The Silent Spring” from 1962. The lake is really a damn reservoir created by the Longhorn Dam…sigh…

Sorry to burst your bubble, but almost ALL of the lakes in Texas were/are reservoirs created by a damn for either flood control (Longhorn) or water use/recreation. Only lakes in Texas that are considered natural are Caddo (along the Louisiana border) and Green (tidal lake) by Port Lavaca.

12 hours ago, blacklab said:

I think you just moved to #1

😇 Welcome to my spider web.

I always figured my poker/cards (wife calls it gambling 🤷‍♂️) problem would pay off.

Per our conversation at the card room on Friday the 31st, you're now my alibi for the last victim. THANKS my brother.

Love You GIF by Sky

17 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Lol  it’s a historic district?  What’s left to make it historic?  They tore everything down 

It was put on the National Register of Historic Places back in the 1980s in a misguided belief that it could protect the neighborhood from commercial redevelopment pressures. The thing is that that designation only makes those properties eligible for federal tax credits for preservation, rehabilitation, or restoration but offers zero protections if an owner decides they want to sell. Any protections have to come from the local municipality (in this case Austin or possibly the county).

Anyway, by the mid-2000s the residents/owners saw all the money they'd get if they sold out to developers and (I think) pushed back on Austin declaring it a local historic district where the City could place restrictions on redevelopment through zoning and whatnot. That's why so many building and homeowners often fight local designation; they fear the loss of potentially earning beaucoup dollars, especially in highly attractive Central Austin.

I don't know what the process would be for de-designating it historic.

themoreyouknow.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Lol  it’s a historic district?  What’s left to make it historic?  They tore everything down 

There are still quite a few original houses. 

I mean, they're bars now, but still.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

It was put on the National Register of Historic Places back in the 1980s in a misguided belief that it could protect the neighborhood from commercial redevelopment pressures. The thing is that that designation only makes those properties eligible for federal tax credits for preservation, rehabilitation, or restoration but offers zero protections if an owner decides they want to sell. Any protections have to come from the local municipality (in this case Austin or possibly the county).

Anyway, by the mid-2000s the residents/owners saw all the money they'd get if they sold out to developers and (I think) pushed back on Austin declaring it a local historic district where the City could place restrictions on redevelopment through zoning and whatnot. That's why so many building and homeowners often fight local designation; they fear the loss of potentially earning beaucoup dollars, especially in highly attractive Central Austin.

I don't know what the process would be for de-designating it historic.

themoreyouknow.gif

This reads like the background information that explains the twisted motive of the notorious Rainey St. killer who exacted his revenge due to the razing of his childhood home.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That's why we can't catch him.

One guy at APD has a file on the Town Lake Killer, another dude has a file on the Lady Bird Lake Killer, and they just can't make the connection.  And now, it cost some dude in SF his life.  Very sad.

If we want to go really, really old school, we can attribute the deaths to Las Sirenas del Rio Colorado, as suggested upthread, pero sin el Español. Hot babes in the water seducing these dudes to their watery graves. Honestly it seems almost as likely of them all just happening to fall in the river so close together. A bayou runs through Houston's downtown; Nashville has the Cumberland running right therer; NOLA has the friggin' Father of Waters boiling past the Quarter. Yes, people end up being fished out of those waterways dead all the time but there never seems to be anything resembling a pattern. Something is going on here. I''m thinking drugged, mugged, tossed in the water.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Deej said:

I wouldn't mind if the whole area collapsed into the lake. 

As long as Emmer and Rye gets to move first, I’m ok with this.  The last couple times we’ve stayed at Van Zandt for getaways, I don’t think we’ve even ventured around the corner to hit any of those bars…just too bro-crowded

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Orange&White said:

This would certainly kill hundreds of endangered salamander species you insensitive asshole. 

We should reinstall the homeless flotilla on the water down there, along with a new Homer the goose.  That would at least keep dudes away from the water.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
Edited because Homer was actually a goose.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

As long as Emmer and Rye gets to move first, I’m ok with this.  The last couple times we’ve stayed at Van Zandt for getaways, I don’t think we’ve even ventured around the corner to hit any of those bars…just too bro-crowded

I was just here and honestly same.

Did go to the world's smallest bar or whatever, not sure if that counts as Rainy district and/or historical.

5 hours ago, Homercles said:

As long as Emmer and Rye gets to move first, I’m ok with this. 

This.  It's the only reason I venture to Rainey.  Unless you're under 30 and/or a douche and/or a serial killer, Rainey Street shouldn't hold any appeal to you.

Edited by South Austin
fixed
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I was just here and honestly same.

Did go to the world's smallest bar or whatever, not sure if that counts as Rainy district and/or historical.

Isn't that down on West 5th, close to Lamar? Nowhere near Rainey.

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If we want to go really, really old school, we can attribute the deaths to Las Sirenas del Rio Colorado, as suggested upthread, pero sin el Español. Hot babes in the water seducing these dudes to their watery graves. Honestly it seems almost as likely of them all just happening to fall in the river so close together. A bayou runs through Houston's downtown; Nashville has the Cumberland running right therer; NOLA has the friggin' Father of Waters boiling past the Quarter. Yes, people end up being fished out of those waterways dead all the time but there never seems to be anything resembling a pattern. Something is going on here. I''m thinking drugged, mugged, tossed in the water.

Along this line of thought....is there a Yogurt shop in the area?

6 hours ago, Homercles said:

Why on Earth would you stay at Hotel Van Zandt if you don’t like the area? Multiple times, even. It’s a beating to get in/out of there to begin with.

• Hook 'Em 1

If there’s really a thing where guys are getting drugged to be robbed, I doubt the robbers are strictly adhering to the ug/kg dosing published by the manufacturer. And they’ll be erring on the heavy side.  So it could all be a collateral byproduct of a robbery scheme. 

if you are on Rainey and someone asks you what you weigh, might be time to call it a night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So it could all be a collateral byproduct of a robbery scheme. 

98% sure that's what it is.

24 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Why on Earth would you stay at Hotel Van Zandt if you don’t like the area? Multiple times, even. It’s a beating to get in/out of there to begin with.

There aren't any other nice hotels downtown.

7 hours ago, Homercles said:

Sooo,... you're sayin' sausage fest??

image.jpeg.d9269cbe7d3183adeb99748342ffc50c.jpeg

• Haha 1

Yep, that’s been working assumption for the podcast in my head.  Start stumbling westward, it gets wooded and confusing if you’re fucked up.  No cameras.  No lights.  You wander to the south end of Rainey, you turn around and there’s a ton of lights.  You wander west behind macc and Milagro and tried around, it’s pretty disorienting. 

24 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I feel like everyone keeps talking about walking Rainey straight south past Emmer & Rye towards the lake but you can stumble your ass past the cultural center to the west and get to the lake faster and float a bit with the current.

image.thumb.png.ba5bd894cabc09f77864aefedcd18dc6.png

I thought you said you weren't Sicilian...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1