Demographics of new Texans

closetohumping

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Anyone remember growing up when the idea of a new classmate that wasn’t from Texas was pretty much non-existent?

At summer camp there was a kid from California. We thought it was just about the wildest fucking thing in the world. Like he had two heads or something

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Edit: One last, last point to make is what the fuck is going on with the migration pipelines for Laredo and Brownsville. Who's moving from the northeast to Laredo? I guess with the Brownsville metro including some coastal communities, I suppose I could understand people from the South moving there for retirement.

SpaceX.

• Hook 'Em 1

That Dallas area is 11 counties. I'd be willing to bet the majority of that increase is not in Dallas proper. That 380 corridor is exploding. Toyota moved to N. Plano not downtown. Grapevine/ Colleyville/Southlake were almost rural when I moved there as a kid. Those days are over. Frisco was nothing. Prosper was nothing. Celina was way hell and gone from everything. Now it's right on the edge. 

Yeah, it's Dallas for the bean counters, but it's way outside the 635 bubble. 

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Denver actually has a higher percentage of AAs than Austin, which is pretty obvious just cruising around the city.

it's the hispanic population  that is significantly lower, which i assume is primarily bc Texas is a border state. 

one of my earliest observations last summer when we moved here was that all the construction and roadwork crews were dominantly white and black... which was definitely different than Texas 😄

If you're talking the metro area, then that's really not true. The 2020 Census table below shows the racial/ethnic compositions of each. The City of Denver is a consolidated city/county government and only comprises a small 155 square-mile area. Arapahoe County includes Aurora, which is pretty diverse. That's really where Denver's Black population is concentrated, and I want to say you live on the SE side of Denver so that would check out from your experience.

My sister lives up in Westminster, and I visit there often so I'm pretty familiar with it. Neither metro is exactly a Black metropolis though, but Austin is easily the more racially/ethnically diverse metro with less than half Anglo, and higher percentages of Hispanics, Blacks, and Asians. All told the Denver metro only has about 6,000 more Black folks than Austin.

DENVER MSA                         
  DENVER ARAPAHOE JEFFERSON ADAMS DOUGLAS BROOMFIELD ELBERT PARK CLEAR CREEK GILPIN   METRO
TOTAL 715,522 655,070 582,910 519,572 357,978 74,112 26,062 17,390 9,397 5,808   2,963,821

ANGLO 54.3% 56.2% 74.7% 46.1% 77.9% 72.7% 85.1% 85.7% 86.7% 85.3%   61.2%
HISPANIC 27.9% 20.7% 15.7% 41.7% 9.5% 13.4% 7.9% 7.1% 6.9% 6.5%   23.3%
BLACK 8.5% 10.4% 1.1% 3.1% 1.3% 1.3% 0.5% 0.5% 0.5% 0.6%   5.3%
ASIAN 4.0% 6.6% 3.1% 4.5% 5.6% 7.0% 0.8% 0.6% 0.9% 1.5%   4.7%
MIXED 4.2% 5.1% 4.4% 3.7% 4.9% 4.9% 4.8% 4.9% 4.1% 4.9%   4.5%
OTHER 0.5% 0.5% 0.5% 0.5% 0.4% 0.5% 0.5% 0.5% 0.4% 0.6%   0.5%
AM IND 0.5% 0.4% 0.5% 0.6% 0.3% 0.3% 0.4% 0.7% 0.4% 0.6%   0.5%

ANGLO 388,764 368,047 435,245 239,295 278,770 53,904 22,185 14,902 8,149 4,952   1,814,213
HISPANIC 199,460 135,729 91,514 216,649 34,110 9,919 2,067 1,235 648 380   691,711
BLACK 61,098 68,152 6,653 16,054 4,788 927 123 89 49 32   157,965
ASIAN 28,593 43,489 18,158 23,336 20,097 5,176 205 108 89 89   139,340
MIXED 30,121 33,450 25,626 19,000 17,692 3,638 1,243 844 383 282   132,279
OTHER 3,746 3,549 2,816 2,369 1,551 351 123 94 38 37   14,674
AM IND 3,740 2,654 2,898 2,869 970 197 116 118 41 36   13,639

AUSTIN MSA                        
  TRAVIS WILLIAMSON HAYS BASTROP CALDWELL             METRO
TOTAL 1,290,188 609,017 241,067 97,216 45,883             2,283,371

ANGLO 47.5% 55.2% 50.4% 47.1% 36.1%             49.6%
HISPANIC 32.6% 24.2% 38.5% 42.7% 55.5%             31.9%
BLACK 7.5% 6.3% 3.7% 5.6% 4.8%             6.6%
ASIAN 7.8% 9.0% 2.1% 0.8% 0.5%             7.1%
MIXED 3.9% 4.5% 4.6% 3.1% 2.4%             4.1%
OTHER 0.5% 0.5% 0.4% 0.4% 0.4%             0.5%
AM IND 0.2% 0.3% 0.2% 0.3% 0.3%             0.2%

ANGLO 612,824 336,410 121,568 45,751 16,560             1,133,113
HISPANIC 421,110 147,088 92,871 41,484 25,468             728,021
BLACK 96,270 38,557 9,004 5,460 2,225             151,516
ASIAN 100,434 54,574 4,966 781 231             160,986
MIXED 50,275 27,605 11,050 3,011 1,092             93,033
OTHER 6,513 3,124 1,009 417 178             11,241
AM IND 2,762 1,659 599 312 129             5,461

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

SpaceX.

Yeah, that's gotta be part of it. Since Texas is included in the South, it could be folks coming from the other big Texas metros, especially Austin, to set up shop there. Now, if we could only figure out fucking Laredo. Could there be a wave of stealthy Brooklyn hipsters muscling their way in to make Laredo the new destination for artisanal charcuterie to make bespoke goat-meat tacos?

yeah we're close to Aurora,  which is honestly more seamlessly integrated with Denver than even RR is to Austin... if it weren't for the signs you'd never know you were even in a 'different' city. 

but really i just googled 'Denver demographics' and 'Austin demographics' which shows about 9% and 7.5% respectively. i didn't dig into whether those figures were the entire MSAs or just the city cores. either way, observationally it def feels/appears more diverse here. Denver feels more like a 'big city'.

Aurora also seems to have a huge population of immigrants and/or refugees, from Africa, Asia, and South America - wide variety of countries and cultures. the variety of both restaurants and grocery markets catering to those populations is very obvious. 

but... it's also possible we'd been in Austin so long (30+ years) we just stopped noticing 😁 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, mchookem said:

yeah we're close to Aurora,  which is honestly more seamlessly integrated with Denver than even RR is to Austin... if it weren't for the signs you'd never know you were even in a 'different' city. 

but really i just googled 'Denver demographics' and 'Austin demographics' which shows about 9% and 7.5% respectively. i didn't dig into whether those figures were the entire MSAs or just the city cores. either way, observationally it def feels/appears more diverse here. Denver feels more like a 'big city'.

Aurora also seems to have a huge population of immigrants and/or refugees, from Africa, Asia, and South America - wide variety of countries and cultures. the variety of both restaurants and grocery markets catering to those populations is very obvious. 

but... it's also possible we'd been in Austin so long (30+ years) we just stopped noticing 😁 

I think there's definitely an element to your last statement. When things are fresh and new, we tend to be more aware of details/differences. And, yes, Aurora probably has the most diverse population in the entire Denver metro area (amazingly similar to Pflugerville and likely neighboring portions of north Austin).

PFLUGERVILLE AURORA
ANGLO 40.1% 41.7%
HISPANIC 31.2% 30.3%
BLACK 14.8% 15.3%
ASIAN 8.5% 6.7%
MIXED 4.6% 5.0%
OTHER 0.6% 0.6%
AM IND 0.2% 0.4%

https://data.census.gov/table?q=hispanic+population+in+Pflugerville+city,+Texas&tid=DECENNIALPL2020.P2

https://data.census.gov/table?q=hispanic+population+in+Aurora+city,+Colorado&tid=DECENNIALPL2020.P2

So this pretty much settles the Houston vs Dallas debate. Are there even any Texans in Dallas? Between the Sooners and yanks, a few hundred? 
The only reason that Shreveport, Little Rock and Tulsa didn't make the Dalls list is because they all immigrated decades ago.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

This is another reason why Houston sucks. It's getting left overs from absolutely shitty cities.

Houston is a working class oil town at heart, plus some shipping types. The finance / IT segment goes to Austin or DFW.  How many Houstonians from the 1980s have permanently moved to Austin/Cedar Park/Leander/Hill country, its thousands and thousands. 

8 minutes ago, gurt said:

if you're noticing a 1.5% increase in black people you might be somebody who 'notices' a lot of things ;)

i assume this was directed at me? i mean i'm married to an AA and he has noted/remarked on it as well, sooo...

elmo-sesame-street.gif.43723f40ff5cc60dfe0756a3da367edd.gif

but yeah it's probably more related to our proximity to Aurora than anything else, we're about a mile from the 'town line' and his favorite haunts (Costco and Lowes) are in Aurora lol.

uh...we're also about five blocks from Colfax. which is definitely diverse 😐😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Well, yes, we’re comparing whether it’s better to be surrounded by Okies and Chicagoans vs. coastal tech bros.  There is no winning.  Austin managing to maintain its lily whiteness in spite of massive growth is a con, though.  At least get some better food by letting non-anglos and people who don’t know how to code live there.

You might take great Asian food for granted until you don't have it.

13 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Can you imagine being an immigrant and settling on Beaumont. Outside of a Ukrainian with a bombed out apartment, I can't imagine it. O&G people?

I'm sure the burning cross in their front lawn was a welcome surprise on a cold winter night.  I kid, I kid.  I'ts 2023, Beaumont ain't like that anymore.

Edited by closetohumping

5 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i assume this was directed at me? i mean i'm married to an AA and he has noted/remarked on it as well, sooo...

elmo-sesame-street.gif.43723f40ff5cc60dfe0756a3da367edd.gif

but yeah it's probably more related to our proximity to Aurora than anything else, we're about a mile from the 'town line' and his favorite haunts (Costco and Lowes) are in Aurora lol.

uh...we're also about five blocks from Colfax. which is definitely diverse 😐😄

To me, living in both Denver and Austin, I do think Denver is noticeably whiter but Denver seemed to have more ethnic enclaves, if that makes sense.  It's a great place.

• Hook 'Em 1

When you're an immigrant desperate to get out of where you're from just about anywhere in the US will seem like a paradise. At least for the parents. The kids prob won't feel that way...

Edited by YChang

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Thinking the same. I hadn't realized just how "white" Austin is and has been.

We moved away from Austin for a stretch, living in Chicago, Albuquerque (barf), and Los Angeles for several years.  I remember returning to visit at one point and feeling uncomfortable without understanding why.  It finally dawned on me that I hadn't seen a non-white person in days.   We eventually moved back, but that was one of the big sticking points for us when making the decision.  It's improved a tiny bit in recent years, but it's still shockingly white.  I have no data, but I would not be surprised if it's the whitest city with a population of over half a million in the U.S, and by a significant margin.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, that's gotta be part of it. Since Texas is included in the South, it could be folks coming from the other big Texas metros, especially Austin, to set up shop there. Now, if we could only figure out fucking Laredo. Could there be a wave of stealthy Brooklyn hipsters muscling their way in to make Laredo the new destination for artisanal charcuterie to make bespoke goat-meat tacos?

In winter, the Canadians descend upon Laredo, bringing their poutine and beaver tails. 

6 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

We moved away from Austin for a stretch, living in Chicago, Albuquerque (barf), and Los Angeles for several years.  I remember returning to visit at one point and feeling uncomfortable without understanding why.  It finally dawned on me that I hadn't seen a non-white person in days.   We eventually moved back, but that was one of the big sticking points for us when making the decision.  It's improved a tiny bit in recent years, but it's still shockingly white.  I have no data, but I would not be surprised if it's the whitest city with a population of over half a million in the U.S, and by a significant margin.

EDIT TO ADD: I just saw the numbers up-thread re: Denver.  Anecdotally, that really surprised me, but parsing out the suburbs and claiming they don't count is just silly.  A city is made up of its metro area, even if we draw lines for taxes and services.  While some people certainly stick close to their neighborhoods, most get out and about for work, recreation, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Thinking the same. I hadn't realized just how "white" Austin is and has been.

Texas has been a minority-majority state for over a decade now, and Hispanics/Latino Americans have passed up whites in numbers as well (40% - 39%), but we just haven't seen it kick in with some areas like Austin because the growth for places like Austin was extremely rapid and from areas and industries that leaned white.

20 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I have no data, but I would not be surprised if it's the whitest city with a population of over half a million in the U.S, and by a significant margin.

Some of these comments are ridiculous. This isn't remotely close to being true. Austin isn't even majority non-hispanic white at around 47%. The US as a whole is like 58%. Austin's "lack" of diversity is wholly attributable to the low % of black people (also due to where people live being pretty segregated). The Asian % is above the national average and actually higher than Houston and the Hispanic population is obviously much higher than most of the US. 

Yes it is whiter than Dallas and Houston. It's also more diverse than every other metro in Texas, granted it's whiter than San Antonio or El Paso.

If you are living somewhere like Dallas, Houston, LA, Chicago, NYC then you are spoiled in terms of diversity as those are basically the most diverse places on the planet. 

Edited by ztejas

Ok, when I retired we happened to be in Houston, the last of a dozen places.  And we moved to a condo in Austin for “fun” and as a possible place to stay.  And within 7 months were outathere for Seattle.  

What with the Tex legislature trends I wonder if the outbound from Texas numbers will go up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

but we just haven't seen it kick in with some areas like Austin

In 1970, its population was 15% Hispanic, 12% black and 73% non-Hispanic white; by 2010, the city was 35% Hispanic, 48% white and only 8% black.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

In 1970, its population was 15% Hispanic, 12% black and 73% non-Hispanic white; by 2010, the city was 35% Hispanic, 48% white and only 8% black.

I thought I read somewhere that it had started trended back towards a lot more whites over the past 10 years or so, like 55%-60%.  Edit: I maybe wrong, but I'll try to find what I had read about the growth.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Immigration attorneys, family, staffers, and their families. 

CHIEF

55 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Texas has been a minority-majority state for over a decade now, and Hispanics/Latino Americans have passed up whites in numbers as well (40% - 39%), but we just haven't seen it kick in with some areas like Austin because the growth for places like Austin was extremely rapid and from areas and industries that leaned white.

sassy dance GIF by Neurads

Basically have an interstate exchange program set up with Portland.  Oregon, not Texas

56 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Some of these comments are ridiculous. This isn't remotely close to being true. Austin isn't even majority non-hispanic white at around 47%. The US as a whole is like 58%. Austin's "lack" of diversity is wholly attributable to the low % of black people (also due to where people live being pretty segregated). The Asian % is above the national average and actually higher than Houston and the Hispanic population is obviously much higher than most of the US. 

Yes it is whiter than Dallas and Houston. It's also more diverse than every other metro in Texas, granted it's whiter than San Antonio or El Paso.

If you are living somewhere like Dallas, Houston, LA, Chicago, NYC then you are spoiled in terms of diversity as those are basically the most diverse places on the planet. 

So you're saying Austin is whiter than other large cities in Texas and the United States?  Gosh, where did I read that before?  What exactly are you arguing with?  Of course it's more diverse than the smaller metro areas.  I didn't claim otherwise.

56 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Ok, when I retired we happened to be in Houston, the last of a dozen places.  And we moved to a condo in Austin for “fun” and as a possible place to stay.  And within 7 months were outathere for Seattle.  

What with the Tex legislature trends I wonder if the outbound from Texas numbers will go up.

Doubtful.  Jobs trumps politics for most people. 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Doubtful.  Jobs trumps politics for most people. 

That might be the case in some industries, but you might be surprised how often the topic comes up in recruiting, particularly for young, highly educated females. It was never a conversation I had to have in recruiting for in a highly educated, highly compensated industry up until 2 years ago. It comes up quite a bit now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

That might be the case in some industries, but you might be surprised how often the topic comes up in recruiting, particularly for young, highly educated females. It was never a conversation I had to have in recruiting for in a highly educated, highly compensated industry up until 2 years ago. It comes up quite a bit now. 

Yea.  I definitely see it in tech.   They hate conservative areas.  Ironically I was talking to this lady in Denver and her company’s hq was in Raleigh. I asked her if she would ever relocate and she said “that’s still the south.”  Mind you Raleigh is more diverse than Denver 

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yea.  I definitely see it in tech.   They hate conservative areas.  Ironically I was talking to this lady in Denver and her company’s hq was in Raleigh. I asked her if she would ever relocate and she said “that’s still the south.”  Mind you Raleigh is more diverse than Denver 

And I wasn't even referencing tech. If highly educated, high income women don't want to relocate to a state it's not that much longer that the men that want to meet, date and marry those women also won't want to relocate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Repeat CSB: Was in austin for a concert a couple years ago, and was eating with my cousin at cedar door before the show. Place was packed. He looked around and said “damn bro I think we’re the only mexicans in here”. I looked around too and he seemed to be right. It was seriously the first time either of us had been in a place with that many people and been the only latinos. Nothing wrong/bad about it, but it was just a culture shock moment. Kind of made me want to broaden my horizons more.

Also turned out that cedar door food fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I guess living south of Town Lake it's not as white but, honestly, NW Austin has a pretty vibrant Asian population.  It's not Houston but I don't think it's as white as some make it out to be as it does have a strong Hispanic population. 

If you want super white, maybe Lakeway or Liberty Hill are more your style 

Edited by texasdago

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

I dated a girl from Texas City for a while.  That relationship was toxic.

I dated a girl from Nederland.  She was fucking crazy.  But I couldn't break up with her because she constantly wanted to give me blowjobs.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I guess living south of Town Lake it's not as white but, honestly, NW Austin has a pretty vibrant Asian population. 

Yep, and a couple of large shopping areas that cater to Asians as well (with more on the way around Austin).  Wife is a huge fan of Asian food and Korean and Thai dramas, so we get to those areas a few times a month, and some of the grocery/food stores like H Mart (which is expanding in Austin)...holy shit, their ramen and candy/cookie aisles are awesome.  But fuck me sideways, you have to be careful if you don't like insanely spicy hot foods - it seems like even the "mild" packages of ramen have a chili powder topping package.  Many have the "good" Kit Kat bars (like 10 different varieties), but not the fancier soda flavors unfortunately.

• Hook 'Em 1