2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

10 hours ago, Sealtm6 said:

Is Altuve a first ballot guy?

He should be, but a bunch of Yankees and Dodgers holders are going to say he had buzzers and trashcans. 

When this happens I'm kidnapping Altuve and we're going to soend a year writing a speach he would never write, and we're going to Clockwork Orange his ass into memorizing it and delivering it. And it's going to make him the greatest Houston sports legend ever....

Well, he may be doing the last part on his own anyway, but still. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Adolis took the FAAFO scale to 15.  Not sure why we have to pussyfoot around it, besides, yeah, fines and suspensions.  Dude wanted his show and he got 3- his hit. The HPB. and the Little Giant ripping their hearts out.

LFG!!!

Edited by slorch

20 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

GOAT hitting a go-ahead three-run jack and coolly rounding the bases like it was a routine moment

Not like a routine moment, but because it was one for him. Ho-hum, 26th postseason HR and new record holder for go-ahead postseason HRs. Just another day at the office for Altuve 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I imagine Texas was scratching their heads on how to pitch to singleton. 95% of his numbers come from one season, nine years ago. He’s basically a HR hitter only and that’s it so you can’t make it easy for him when he’s the tying run. 

according to baseball reference, the Astros previously paid Singleton $10.5m mainly to not play. Depending on how it turns out, the Astros got that money back last night.

I know coaches have to go out and discuss scouting reports when an unexpected pinch hitter comes up, especially someone like Singleton, but after Leclerc went 3-0 I turned and told my 9 yo, “they iced him with that mound visit.”

A few pitches later when he was trotting to first, I also told him “Singleton could have gone up there without a bat.”

Edited by UTexasFight

26 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

My dad and brother started going to astros games for my brothers birthday in the 70s, and when i was born, i started going with them. First sporting event i ever went to was an astros game. Went to the last astrodome game with my brother and watched willy nelson play. When the astros were losing 300 games in 3 seasons, i worked in an office within walking distance of minute maid and would buy cheap astros tickets for $5. Saw so many blowout losses that year.

I sat through so many miserable memories as lifetime astros fan. Even the good moments were quaint. I cannot believe where altuve has taken these astros after decades of being middling. Hes made following the astros for my entire life feel worth it.

Yep. All of this is the same experience I’ve had. The $5 tickets, $1 dogs and $1 beer nights were pretty awesome though when they sucked and I was a poor, single guy working in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe he got it right after the game, but Pressly needs some love.

Getting asked to come in that situation, one that he was completely unprepared for and hardly ever asked to do (get three outs with two inherited runners)…. And then come back out and finishing the job.

He earned that win.

that’s my closer.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Getting asked to come in that situation, one that he was completely unprepared for and hardly ever asked to do (get three outs with two inherited runners)…. And then come back out and finishing the job.

He earned that win.

that’s my closer.

Man, I I’d love not to need him tomorrow for the right reasons. 

• Drool 1

34 minutes ago, pacmanmakesitrain said:

Yep. All of this is the same experience I’ve had. The $5 tickets, $1 dogs and $1 beer nights were pretty awesome though when they sucked and I was a poor, single guy working in Houston.

It was such a contrast too because rockets tickets just down the street were crazy expensive lol. But yeah, i didnt care that the astros were awful, a $5 ticket to a professional baseball game is always worth it to blow off some steam. I always loved saying i was gonna take a "9 inning study break" in college. Going to watch baseball in person is just so much fun even if the home team is bad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Part of the Astros approach with pitchers is to put the pressure on them by not chasing and forcing opposing hurlers to throw strikes.

The bullshit calls by HPU change ABs dramatically.  It's frustrating why MLB refuses to get it right, when ithe solution is absolutely viable and available.

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Why are the #51 and #82 (or whatever rank Eddings is) calling postseason games.  Seems like by the time you get to the championship series, you take the top 12 ranked dudes and roll.

The only positive was he pretty much sucked out loud equally. That is much better than one sided cocksuckers like Joe West.....

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Why are the #51 and #82 (or whatever rank Eddings is) calling postseason games.  Seems like by the time you get to the championship series, you take the top 12 ranked dudes and roll.

Why are there humans even calling them. Tennis is doing it right. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Dusty would never 

Ok hear me out……

Or is he so meta that HE knew he wouldn’t do it and got thrown out SOOO his bench coach could make the right pinch hit moves?!

Maybe Dusty is playing 8D chess?

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Edited by Dnaguy

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

He earned that win.

that’s my closer.

Seems like in the 9th he always puts someone on, but damned if he didn’t slam the door in the 8th and then get the job done in the 9th.

19 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That 20 straight appearance streak is extremely impressive and one I didn’t realize.

And seeing a bullpen meltdown in the playoffs seemingly every night makes me appreciate even more the job this crew has done the last couple of years

…but that’s the kind of tweet I prefer to see after the job’s done. Not halfway through with 6 wins down, and 5 wins still to get.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 7

One subtle thing that I feel was some great strategery that hasn’t been mentioned yet (I don’t think) was Espada’s double switch to have Yani bat first for Pena and then singleton for maldo. 
I think most people, including Leclerc, probably thought Diaz would bat second in the inning. So while I’m sure he was studying the scouting report on pena and Diaz while getting ice fucking cold because Dusty ran the clock like a boss, he was also thrown off by seeing Diaz first. 
it’s been a long season with some head scratching decision making along the way. Was nice to see that yesterday. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I respect Leclerc—after the game, he said that Altuve is a great player, that happens.  His problem was letting the first two on, and he's right.

I know Garcia is going to get booed tomorrow, but I am glad he's so immature and emotional and think he deserves a standing ovation.  I love JV's saying he didn't mind the showboating because "it's probably the biggest home run of his career."  The contrast...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Everytime he does something like this, I think back to this book which was published in early 2017. We’re not yet to the point of being in the top 16 teams of all time, but you can make a case of Altuve being in this captain class.

8D751E76-30D7-4292-B2FB-77CB8C196752.thumb.jpeg.f75153fd02b837758a2bd2670f10e3fd.jpeg

F6AE0EAC-D928-4077-93BE-2325727C6515.thumb.jpeg.4d1bf8455aa58e0a9d00bdece2e52259.jpeg

1. Extreme doggedness and focus in competition

2. Aggressive play that tests the limits of the rules.

3. A willingness to do thankless jobs in the shadows.

4. A low-key, practical and democratic communication style

5. Motivates others with passionate nonverbal displays.

6. Strong convictions and the courage to stand apart.

7. Ironclad emotional control. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I respect Leclerc—after the game, he said that Altuve is a great player, that happens.  His problem was letting the first two on, and he's right.

And not just "the first two" - but Diaz who was 0-10 with 5 strikeouts before his single and Singleton who had no postseason ABs

That is inexcusable - you'd wager that they'd be absolutely easy outs.  You deserve to be tagged with the L if you can't get out those two guys, because your next 3 up were the GOAT, Dubon and then Breggy.

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I missed the 8th while getting the kids ready for bed, but was able to see the TV for most of the 9th. 

Me: OH WOW! They got 2 on and Altuve is coming up to bat!!
4 year old: Is he the good hitter?
Me: Yes, a very good hitter!
4 yo: Oh I hope he hits it very good then!
Me: OH MY GOSH HE DID IT! AGAIN!!! HAHAHA *jumps around excitedly with kid in my arms*

4yo: So the Astros are winning now?
Me: Yeah they are up 5-4!
4yo: So the bad guys are losing now?
Me: Yes that's right!
4 yo: Oh because he's a very good hitter!
Me: YES!

2 year old throughout this exchange: GO ASH-STROS! GO ASH-STROS! GO ASH-STROS! GO ASH-STROS!

Fun times, still unbelievable it finished that way. I have a video clip of this I'm gonna save and share it with them when they are older and the Astros are on their way to their 12th World Series. 

lol my 3 year old at the Kansas game said the bad guys were scary I said who’s the bad guys? 
He said they wearing blue. I started looking around and pointing out Kansas fans in the crowd he said no. Then I pointed at the field he said yeah those bad guys. 

• Haha 1

No, arguing Díaz is an easy out would be silly. He is a good hitter and hit a ground ball single. No shame there. 

Putting Singleton on without making him take the bat off his shoulders was the unforgivable part. Well I guess I forgive him but you know what I mean. People were saying Singleton had a great at bat in the immediate emotional aftermath but the dude just took 6 pitches and never looked interested in swinging.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And not just "the first two" - but Diaz who was 0-10 with 5 strikeouts before his single and Singleton who had no postseason ABs

That is inexcusable - you'd wager that they'd be absolutely easy outs.  You deserve to be tagged with the L if you can't get out those two guys, because your next 3 up were the GOAT, Dubon and then Breggy.

throw both those guys 3 high heaters and they strike out 

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The most unlikely part of the miracle comeback was the first two guys getting on ahead of Altuve.  Once they played their role, it was inevitable.

• Hook 'Em 3