45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

30 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Hooray! We greatly expanded Iran’s power and influence! Great job. We squandered all of the good will shown toward us after 9/11. Brilliant! We introduced torture and broke the Geneva Convention. Decent people think that’s un-American and a permanent blight on our record. There are still people locked up in Guantanamo who’ve never been charged. That’s totally counter to what we’re supposed to stand for.

No, the invasion of Iraq didn’t have to happen. It shouldn’t have happened. It was horribly bungled when it did happen. Saddam Hussein was never a threat to us. You’re horribly misinformed if you think otherwise. He was just an easy target. Since the first Gulf War he’d gotten weaker while we’d gotten stronger. The invasion was a guaranteed cakewalk. Iran had a history of violence against us and we took away their main foe.

It was t the least bad option. It was a stupid, unnecessary option, a war of choice, a distraction from a necessary conflict to the detriment of the latter, a massive waste of blood and treasure, an embarrassing sacrifice of prestige. It didn’t make the world safer and Iraqi oil didn’t pay for it (as if we had anymore authority to dictate that than Trump had to make Mexico pay for his wall). And we gave dictators like Putin an example and f American aggression they can point to to justify their own misdeeds.

Should’ve focused on avenging 9/11. Destroy bin Laden and Al Qaeda at Tora Bora, violently, mercilessly, and send a message to everyone what happens if they fuck with us. When Bush let them escape, the entire Afghani expedition became folly that was destined to end with the return of the Taliban whether we stayed on for 10, 20, or 50 years.

I don’t know where you get the farcically wrong idea that the Iraq War was necessary. I’m not sure many people outside of Bush and his cronies still claim that it was. Of course Bush still maintains that fiction. He pretty much has to. He may even be foolish enough to believe it. After all, he claimed that God told him to do it. (Heresy much, George?) There were a number of Republican hawks who thought Bush (41) should’ve pursued Saddam’s army to Baghdad and overthrown the government but saner heads prevailed. Here’s Dick Cheney describing the decision.

He was right. He even used the word “quagmire” and then proved that prediction right a decade later. I don’t know exactly why he changed his tune. I know he wanted to see regime change in Iraq so that sanctions could be lifted and Iraqi oil could be made available on the global market. That certainly didn’t make it a necessary war (and certainly wouldn’t have been a justification for war in the eyes of Al Gore). The war did give Cheney a chance to give his old pals at Halliburton a great big fat no-bid contract, though, so there’s that.

Bush said that what defines a great president is how he acts as a wartime president. He had a convenient foe he could bully. He had people in his ear encouraging him like folks working at the PNAC such as Richard Perle, Doug Feith, and Paul Wolfowitz, pre-9/11 architects of the war. And Dubya had goals of doing things his father hadn’t, like getting rid of Saddam Hussein and winning reelection (two goals that if timed right could go hand-in-hand). That didn’t make it a necessary war either.

I forget who wrote it or what it was called, but I read an awful book that was almost entirely devoted to criticism of Bill Clinton for not invading Iraq and removing Saddam. It was published before Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld took office. And history demonstrated that the author was a complete moron. Saddam was contained. He wasn’t a threat to us.  He never was. Not only was the war unnecessary, it was counterproductive to actual urgent needs.

Bush should be in jail for war crimes. The war wasn’t necessary, was always going to happen, that was guaranteed the moment the Supreme Court handed him the office, and Al Gore most certainly would not have changed our policy of containment. 

It's like you didn't even read a single word I wrote.

As expected.

sigh

You're right: You DON'T know where I got that idea. And given how glibly you dashed past my post, you are not capable of learning. You've become a rigid rock seeing only two points of view, which both have only one thing in common:

Being wrong.

15 hours ago, Rimbo said:

let me quote from one of these morons here: "The worst foreign policy blunder in our history" that "[failed]

I'm honored to nearly fit your description. I don't think I used the superlative unless just nudging hyperbole a little.

My policy and mission was to acquire a new car. I and some of my stupid friends (the smart ones wanted no part) bought a tank (damn expensive right off the assembly line, let me tell ya), smashed through the window of the dealership, and hosed the area with MG bursts to kill or drive off anyone even remotely capable of finding a weapon.

We had to use the cannon on the more distant targets which sadly and unitentionally led to an errant round blasting a supermarket. It was not intentional, so that makes us different from the common criminals that kill people intentionally. Huge difference. Really big. 

With the tank providing overwatch, I plucked the keys to a new car from the barely living body of the woman who was about to take a test drive. I put pressure on the gaping hole in her upperbody for a few minutes until she died. We're humane that way.

Then I started up the car and away I went. Mission accomplished!

Some people way smarter than morons will call this a successful operation and quibble about it maybe being the absolutely worst decision that I ever made. The time I wanted to start a campfire and bought the old F-4 and a napalm bomb turned out pretty bad for those in the burning forest and nearby neighborhoods, but what a campfire!!!

There are other ways to get your army out of Saudi Arabia. 

Bathrooms have privacy locks.  Many can be unlocked from the outside with a toothpick. 

garage doors- well you either need access to the inside to begin with or an encrypted remote to open them if they are on openers. And many of them still do have a locking mechanism. 

other than that…

• Like 1

There's such an obvious follow-up question about Trump and the documents in the bathroom given his proclivity for flushing papers down the toilet, but as usual our media is about as quick as a Stephen Hawking 400m Individual Medley.  

Also, can you imagine your primary and secondary defenses being that "What about Joe's shit in his garage?" and then "Those documents are just as secure in a golf resort bathroom as they are handcuffed to a Marine adjutant to the Joint Chiefs in the White House Sit. Room where he must maintain a chain of custody until they are returned under covert protection to an undisclosed DIA secure facility with no access to anyone, even the President until further notice."  I'm sure those'll both hold up air-tight in court.  I remember Jeffrey Dahmer using the defense of, "Well yeah, I kept the bodies in my freezer but I had a padlock on it.  I'm not some psycho like John Wayne Gacy leaving the bodies under floorboards that open and shut all the time with no locks.  I'm not a fucking lunatic."  

6 hours ago, otisdog said:

JFC! Can you guys take the discussion/agrument of the merits of past presidents to a different thread. For three days I've opened this thread to find your ongoing pissing match. 'I don't want to derail this thread' put here's a couple of hundred words of derailment....

vL2TLjpGWYxUn7H5ipRRebQEGfdx81q8w7sNFG5k

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

There's such an obvious follow-up question about Trump and the documents in the bathroom given his proclivity for flushing papers down the toilet, but as usual our media is about as quick as a Stephen Hawking 400m Individual Medley.  

"So Mr. Speaker, I take it you believe a bathroom door with a lock on it to be sufficient security for state secrets and will report as much. Look for the headline tomorrow."

I completely agree with you about the intellectual prowess of the press. They also all watched the same movies and the same press conferences as the example for how this is done. They yell their own questions and rarely follow up another reporter's question. This allows dodges such as this one. Just bull your way through a tough question and let a reporter change the subject for you.

I'm not a physicist but I don't think current physics allows for an individual medley although the Olympics does have solo sychronized swimming, so there are authorities higher than science. 

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

When you’re famous, they just let you do it. 

Far less essentially has ended previous Presidential campaigns.  When I look back on this, it's still a bit unreal that this didn't torpedo everything in 2016 (and there's so much more).  Absolute idiocracy.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Far less essentially has ended previous Presidential campaigns.  When I look back on this, it's still a bit unreal that this didn't torpedo everything in 2016 (and there's so much more).  Absolute idiocracy.

Even before that, making fun of the disabled reporter should have been the end of him

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Gary hart: hey at least groping my mistress isn’t sexual assault. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Even before that, making fun of the disabled reporter should have been the end of him

Right.  There are so many things.  Group of people lost their damned minds.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Gary hart: hey at least groping my mistress isn’t sexual assault. 

Howard Dean made a funny yell.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Right.  There are so many things.  Group of people lost their damned minds.

Howard Dean made a funny yell.

That one was for the best. We can’t be having a president named Howard. Well, not since becoming a global superpower anyway.  It’s as bad as Donald. 

which makes me wonder how long it is before all of the candidates have names like connyr and madysyn. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That one was for the best. We can’t be having a president named Howard. Well, not since becoming a global superpower anyway.  It’s as bad as Donald. 

which makes me wonder how long it is before all of the candidates have names like connyr and madysyn. 

President Placynta Chevrolet Jennyngs.  It's coming unless we stop it like we should have stopped that Bowie/Jagger video of Dancing in the Streets.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Shouldn't Matt know, as a lawyer, that ignorance of the law (barricade law/bird law/etc.) is no defense from breaking it?

Also, how does one go about obtaining a protest permit for the House Floor?  Senate Chambers?  Speaker's personal office?  Is there a link, or?...

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Well boys, another case closed …. They had permits !!!

Oh. So ALL those 561 convictions that have happened up until now... I just imagined them?

Edited by Rimbo

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Shouldn't Matt know, as a lawyer, that ignorance of the law (barricade law/bird law/etc.) is no defense from breaking it?

Also, how does one go about obtaining a protest permit for the House Floor?  Senate Chambers?  Speaker's personal office?  Is there a link, or?...

Wait, Butthead has a fucking law degree???  Jeepers.

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated