45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As someone who regularly works with courts on scheduling matters, and dealing with conflicting scheduling obligations (my clients may not have multiple trial dates next year, but I, their lead counsel, sure do), that approach is not surprising.  Yes, we may have a preferred window...say, March.  But there's a hard conflict.  And January is going to be too early, based on the anticipated schedule.  And we have to allow cushion for the March trial to run long.  So, we set the next trial in May.

Correct.

Also, sometimes the clock runs out so a person ends up never facing any consequences.  Karma does NOT always come through.  Some terrible people walk through their entire lives without ever having to face the music.

The only way Trump goes to trial on the documents is if he loses the election. No way Cannon actually conducts a trial before then. She’s already let the defendants waste a month. There is not a federal court in America where I could get away with the delay tactics that his lawyers get away with. 
If the Jan 6 case had been filed in DC he might have had his feet held to the fire by those judges but not Cannon. The fix is in and you just need to accept it. 

• Rage+1 4

27 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

The only way Trump goes to trial on the documents is if he loses the election. No way Cannon actually conducts a trial before then. She’s already let the defendants waste a month. There is not a federal court in America where I could get away with the delay tactics that his lawyers get away with. 
If the Jan 6 case had been filed in DC he might have had his feet held to the fire by those judges but not Cannon. The fix is in and you just need to accept it. 

She set it for May so if she further delays it the may get forced to recuse. Maybe that's her play. Just keep stalling until it's forced from her to another judge which will push it back further while that judge gets everything online. 

Although I'd have to think doing that would be a huge risk to her career. She's already in a Florida backwater, she may get nothing but garbage cases and pure shit the rest of her career if she fucks this up. It's a big risk to further push it back from May. 

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

She set it for May so if she further delays it the may get forced to recuse. Maybe that's her play. Just keep stalling until it's forced from her to another judge which will push it back further while that judge gets everything online. 

Although I'd have to think doing that would be a huge risk to her career. She's already in a Florida backwater, she may get nothing but garbage cases and pure shit the rest of her career if she fucks this up. It's a big risk to further push it back from May. 

That’s not how it works. She has a job for life and there is no way she will refuse herself. If she did not want the case all she had to do was tell the chief judge of the division. She wants it and will take care of orange Jesus. 
Either Trump becomes president and has it all dismissed by his AG John Eastman or he does not win and he either dies or claims he is too diminished from dementia to stand trial. There will be no accountability for him. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

34 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Being awarded the Presidential Medal of Excellence by Dictator Trump does not sound like a huge risk to one's career.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Being awarded the Presidential Medal of Excellence by Dictator Trump does not sound like a huge risk to one's career.

Given his track record would you risk your career on Trump succeeding with anything? Other than his one fluke in 2016 he's gotten his ass kicked over and over again and everything he touches turns to shit. 

22 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

That’s not how it works. She has a job for life and there is no way she will refuse herself. If she did not want the case all she had to do was tell the chief judge of the division. She wants it and will take care of orange Jesus. 
Either Trump becomes president and has it all dismissed by his AG John Eastman or he does not win and he either dies or claims he is too diminished from dementia to stand trial. There will be no accountability for him. 

She's appointed for life but she still has oversight from the court of appeals and if Trump loses again she risks her reputation being tied to his and going down with him. It all depends on how things shake out and how she's perceived going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Given his track record would you risk your career on Trump succeeding with anything? Other than his one fluke in 2016 he's gotten his ass kicked over and over again and everything he touches turns to shit. 

She's appointed for life but she still has oversight from the court of appeals and if Trump loses again she risks her reputation being tied to his and going down with him. It all depends on how things shake out and how she's perceived going forward. 

Shame is not really an attribute exhibited by Red Hats. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 7/18/2023 at 10:48 PM, tx 3 putt said:

this one needs to meet the same fate and here he is admitting to executing fraud ....

This guy has way too canny a resemblance to Goebbels.

On 7/19/2023 at 10:34 AM, The Dog said:

I don't know if they're fools or patriots, but I'm betting they're never getting paid.  

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

This is the wrong thread for you to post these very wrong ideas.

You’re completely, totally, and utterly wrong in your opinion that Gore would’ve done the same things Bush did, indefensibly so, in this or any other thread. But yeah, let’s not derail this thread. 

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

You’re completely, totally, and utterly wrong in your opinion that Gore would’ve done the same things Bush did, indefensibly so, in this or any other thread. But yeah, let’s not derail this thread. 

If you are right, then we are extraordinarily fortunate that Gore did not become president.

But I don't think Gore is anywhere near that stupid.

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

There is not a federal court in America where I could get away with the delay tactics that his lawyers get away with. 

That's a little hysterical right there, and I think you know it.

Cannon may indeed fuck this up, or maybe she won't, but to act like she's already letting them get away with shit that no other federal court in America would tolerate is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
46 minutes ago, NAVY said:
Gore says “lock box” about 100 times less, he wins comfortably 

I blame Sammy Hagar and his "Three lock box" album.

As a side note: Van Hagar isn’t fit to smell Van Halen’s shit 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, NAVY said:

24 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
26 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Yep. You'll get no argument here.

Yep.

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

My horrible grandmother lived until just shy of 95. The other awesome 3 grandparents all died in their early 80s. Hate sustains 

When I was a medical resident there were 2 types of patients I hated being assigned.  The really really nice ones cause they always died, and the conplete assholes cause they never died.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Karma does NOT always come through.  Some terrible people walk through their entire lives without ever having to face the music.

But sometimes.  Sometimes.  The dildo of consequences comes unlubed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's a little hysterical right there, and I think you know it.

Cannon may indeed fuck this up, or maybe she won't, but to act like she's already letting them get away with shit that no other federal court in America would tolerate is bullshit.

You need to get your head out of the books and into the the real world.  But, it is true that I don’t have the reverence for the federal judiciary that you do. 

Edited by CTC2

4 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So Trumpkins are literally paying for his legal fees with Trump bucks.

I’d say it’s a scam but these people don’t care if it goes to legal defense or presidential campaign, or Diet Coke from the cart girl.  They just want to help the billionaire to be part of a club. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hermanator said:

It will just be a coincidence when she leaves the bench in 2025 and accepts a fellowship at the Heritage Foundation for 1 million a year 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d say it’s a scam but these people don’t care if it goes to legal defense or presidential campaign, or Diet Coke from the cart girl.  They just want to help the billionaire to be part of a club that won't allow them on the premises

Made it more sentimental.  

18 hours ago, Rimbo said:

If you are right, then we are extraordinarily fortunate that Gore did not become president.

But I don't think Gore is anywhere near that stupid.

One good thing came out of the Bush presidency. PEPFAR. That’s it. That’s all.

Let’s not derail the thread because, while I’m mildly curious about what sort of fantasy world you’re living in if you think the Iraq war was a good idea, necessary, or a net positive when it comes to stability in the Middle East or our safety (it was none of those things), it’s been 20 years since the invasion and nobody has time for the reeducation effort it would take to correct your misguided belief. If that’s the case. Though I can’t begin to fathom how it could be.

The Iraq War was only the worst foreign policy blunder in our history. Not only did it fail in its objectives (other than removing Saddam Hussein who, although a really bad guy, was a check on Iran who is also run by really bad guys), but it also led to failure in the necessary conflict in Afghanistan. Bush succeeded in his goal of getting re-elected while kicking the ass of a crippled military in Iraq, before the quagmire set in (and while he waged war against the gay community at home), only to leave office with two unfinished wars for his successor to deal with (with no coherent strategy in Afghanistan and no permission from the Iraqis to keep our forces there). And an economy in the tank to boot.

Worst. President. Ever.

Then Trump came along and waged war on American democracy itself and actually managed to elevate Dubya to second worst. Quite an accomplishment.

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Worst. President. Ever.

That’s still the one who did nothing while the country broke apart.  And Johnson, who didn’t keep the boot on the throat on the south enough.  And then there’s Hoover, who made the depression worst.

Buchanan bc he literally allowed the country to rip apart

Johnson bc he undermined Reconstruction and just emboldened Jim Crow era bullshit 

Trump for waging war on democracy, our international allies and our institutions 

Bush for obvious reasons, but worse than Hoover bc he added in 2 wars

Hoover 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s still the one who did nothing while the country broke apart.  And Johnson, who didn’t keep the boot on the throat on the south enough.  And then there’s Hoover, who made the depression worst.

Johnson bc he undermined Reconstruction and just emboldened Jim Crow era bullshit 

Trump for waging war on democracy, our international allies and our institutions 

Hoover 

Don't forget good old Warren G Harding

We'd been better off with just Warren G

But yeah, Buchanan is still the worst.

7 hours ago, CTC2 said:

You need to get your head out of the books and into the the real world.  But, it is true that I don’t have the reverence for the federal judiciary that you do. 

I can scrape up a half dozen federal criminal dockets slower than this one so far with more delays and less complication from judges all over the political spectrum.  Shit happens and you know it.

I don't really have a reverence for the federal judiciary, but I'm not hysterically pessimistic either.  These people are judges first, they're gonna judge.  That doesn't mean they aren't above throwing a case, but there's about zero evidence of that right now.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I can scrape up a half dozen federal criminal dockets slower than this one so far with more delays.  Shit happens and you know it.

I don't really have a reverence for the federal judiciary, but I'm not hysterically pessimistic either.

So my buddy is of the mind that the docs trial being set for May means it won’t be over before the election. Could it really take that long?

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So my buddy is of the mind that the docs trial being set for May means it won’t be over before the election. Could it really take that long?

I'm no lawyer, but the OJ Simpson trial took over 8 months.  I have no idea if there are any similarities between the two situations, other than the celebrity status of the defendants.

Edited by jimmyjazz

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What is unknowable at this point is what happens between now and then.  And, whether the intention is that this is a pretty hard trial date.  

It seems that it is a bit more considered, in terms of what might be the actual delays and what conflicts defendant Trump and his lawyers have than the average first trial setting.  Something also unusual is that unlike 90 something percent of federal criminal cases, this will not plead out.

First trial settings are often completely pie-in-the-sky and it is expected that they will move, if they even become relevant.  So, if this was one of those yeah, you'd expect it to move.  But this isn't one of those.  There was actually a contested hearing on it.  Then again what Cannon will do remains a wildcard.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm no lawyer, but the OJ Simpson trial took over 8 months.  I have no idea if there are any similarities between the two situations, other than the celebrity status of the defendants.

One of the things about the OJ trial was that it was entirely circumstantial, there was little or no direct evidence of the murder.  Lance Ito is also commonly criticized for not running a very tight courtroom and cutting down on a lot of the nonsense.

Other than dealing with the 37 classified documents, this is not a very complex case.  Like the Carroll case, I'm not sure Trump is going to have a lot of witnesses that can testify to actual facts that are exculpatory.  Like Carroll, you can expect extended cross-examinations of government witnesses intended to cast doubt on their credibility and create reasonable doubt.

On the case cover sheet, Smithco estimated a 21-day trial.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Hoover 

52 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Don't forget good old Warren G Harding

We'd been better off with just Warren G

But yeah, Buchanan is still the worst.

Thank you all for not mentioning Taft.  If @RDCanecutter had a band, I'd imagine he'd produce music like this

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

it’s been 20 years since the invasion and nobody has time for the reeducation effort it would take to correct your misguided belief

You're so close to being self-aware in this sentence here. Sooooo fucking close.

Fuck it. We're doing this.

Twenty years ago, almost everyone adopted one of two completely and utterly idiotic ideas about the war while it happened.

1. The complete idiots who believed the reasons (deliberate lies) given by the Bush administration for why we were doing it, and
  2. The complete idiots who believed that because the administration was lying about the reasons for the war, that it was... let me quote from one of these morons here: "The worst foreign policy blunder in our history" that "[failed] in its objectives" (the stated objectives of which were still lies).

And in the intervening 20 years, both groups of morons have believed one of the administration's lies or the other, and effectively buried themselves in echo chambers that have produced extraordinarily elaborate constructions justifying both of these complete and utterly nonsensical ideas. (It's kinda like how both Atheists and Fundamentalists find interpreting the Bible useful to justify their point of view, even though no one who knows anything even basic about how the Bible was written would ever do so.)

The short version is that all the events leading up to 2003 put US government in a shitty position where they had a nightmarish Sophie's Choice of Bad Choices. They chose what they honestly felt (and I am inclined to agree) with what was the least bad option. And they achieved their objective.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

These people are judges first, they're gonna judge.  That doesn't mean they aren't above throwing a case, but there's about zero evidence of that right now.

Aileen cannon isn't just a judge. She's got a fucking history of throwing in for trump. It's not being hysterical to be maximally concerned about arguably the most important criminal case in our democracy's short history being handled by someone who's broken bad before. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

You're so close to being self-aware in this sentence here. Sooooo fucking close.

Twenty years ago, almost everyone adopted one of two completely and utterly idiotic ideas about the war while it happened.

1. The complete idiots who believed the reasons (deliberate lies) given by the Bush administration for why we were doing it, and
  2. The complete idiots who believed that because the administration was lying about the reasons for the war, that it was... let me quote from one of these morons here: "The worst foreign policy blunder in our history" that "[failed] in its objectives" (the stated objectives of which were still lies).

And in the intervening 20 years, both groups of morons have believed one of the administration's lies or the other, and effectively buried themselves in echo chambers that have produced extraordinarily elaborate constructions justifying both of these complete and utterly nonsensical ideas. (It's kinda like how both Atheists and Fundamentalists find interpreting the Bible useful to justify their point of view, even though no one who knows anything even basic about how the Bible was written would ever do so.)

The short version is that all the events leading up to 2003 put US government in a shitty position where they had a nightmarish Sophie's Choice of Bad Choices. They chose what they honestly felt (and I am inclined to agree) with what was the least bad option. And they achieved their objective.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thank you all for not mentioning Taft.  If @RDCanecutter had a band, I'd imagine he'd produce music like this

Simply magnificent. And yes theatricality runs through my veins. Here is a photo of Great-Grandfather of RDCanecutter (in the monkey hat) and friends in some sort of college drama in Upstate New York, most likely in one of the Grover Cleveland administrations.

The photo is a mystery and a cause of dispute among the descendants. For though he attended college in Niagara, there was "Oswego" penciled on the back of this one. I caught Mother trying to erase it, and, to my shame, there were words.

Theatah.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Hooray! We greatly expanded Iran’s power and influence! Great job. We squandered all of the good will shown toward us after 9/11. Brilliant! We introduced torture and broke the Geneva Convention. Decent people think that’s un-American and a permanent blight on our record. There are still people locked up in Guantanamo who’ve never been charged. That’s totally counter to what we’re supposed to stand for.

No, the invasion of Iraq didn’t have to happen. It shouldn’t have happened. It was horribly bungled when it did happen. Saddam Hussein was never a threat to us. You’re horribly misinformed if you think otherwise. He was just an easy target. Since the first Gulf War he’d gotten weaker while we’d gotten stronger. The invasion was a guaranteed cakewalk. Iran had a history of violence against us and we took away their main foe.

It was t the least bad option. It was a stupid, unnecessary option, a war of choice, a distraction from a necessary conflict to the detriment of the latter, a massive waste of blood and treasure, an embarrassing sacrifice of prestige. It didn’t make the world safer and Iraqi oil didn’t pay for it (as if we had anymore authority to dictate that than Trump had to make Mexico pay for his wall). And we gave dictators like Putin an example and f American aggression they can point to to justify their own misdeeds.

Should’ve focused on avenging 9/11. Destroy bin Laden and Al Qaeda at Tora Bora, violently, mercilessly, and send a message to everyone what happens if they fuck with us. When Bush let them escape, the entire Afghani expedition became folly that was destined to end with the return of the Taliban whether we stayed on for 10, 20, or 50 years.

I don’t know where you get the farcically wrong idea that the Iraq War was necessary. I’m not sure many people outside of Bush and his cronies still claim that it was. Of course Bush still maintains that fiction. He pretty much has to. He may even be foolish enough to believe it. After all, he claimed that God told him to do it. (Heresy much, George?) There were a number of Republican hawks who thought Bush (41) should’ve pursued Saddam’s army to Baghdad and overthrown the government but saner heads prevailed. Here’s Dick Cheney describing the decision.

He was right. He even used the word “quagmire” and then proved that prediction right a decade later. I don’t know exactly why he changed his tune. I know he wanted to see regime change in Iraq so that sanctions could be lifted and Iraqi oil could be made available on the global market. That certainly didn’t make it a necessary war (and certainly wouldn’t have been a justification for war in the eyes of Al Gore). The war did give Cheney a chance to give his old pals at Halliburton a great big fat no-bid contract, though, so there’s that.

Bush said that what defines a great president is how he acts as a wartime president. He had a convenient foe he could bully. He had people in his ear encouraging him like folks working at the PNAC such as Richard Perle, Doug Feith, and Paul Wolfowitz, pre-9/11 architects of the war. And Dubya had goals of doing things his father hadn’t, like getting rid of Saddam Hussein and winning reelection (two goals that if timed right could go hand-in-hand). That didn’t make it a necessary war either.

I forget who wrote it or what it was called, but I read an awful book that was almost entirely devoted to criticism of Bill Clinton for not invading Iraq and removing Saddam. It was published before Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld took office. And history demonstrated that the author was a complete moron. Saddam was contained. He wasn’t a threat to us.  He never was. Not only was the war unnecessary, it was counterproductive to actual urgent needs.

Bush should be in jail for war crimes. The war wasn’t necessary, was always going to happen, that was guaranteed the moment the Supreme Court handed him the office, and Al Gore most certainly would not have changed our policy of containment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Aileen cannon isn't just a judge. She's got a fucking history of throwing in for trump. It's not being hysterical to be maximally concerned about arguably the most important criminal case in our democracy's short history being handled by someone who's broken bad before. 

I didn't say don't be concerned.

Just don't make shit up.  Because there's enough real shit to be concerned about.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated