45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Fair point.  What is it Hans says before that, "they will find you...unless they think you're already dead."  

i guess it I could simultaneously deploy all these scams at the same time, pocket a few million real fast, shut down the sites and burn the servers.  I could likely make it to a foreign country within a couple of weeks before anybody got wise.  But my family would have to sever all ties to their family and friends which is a lot to ask since they don't like Trump but they do not share my unbridled passion to watch him burn and have his supporters turn on one another and literally murder each other.  I'm slightly more unhinged than most of them.  And i can't leave them here because somebody will take out their anger for me on them.  Can't have that.  We could have it routed to some friendly banks I know in the Bahamas but again, one errant name drop by some junior banker and I'm fucked and have to live life looking over my shoulder.  I guess the real trick is what G. Gordon Liddy used to say, "What's the trick?  The trick is not minding."

No Way Wow GIF

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Possibly, but it greatly slows down the process depending on how their terms are staggered which matters a lot for an old man.

Just reminds me of the Simpsons meme.

The governor of Georgia does not have pardoning power

THAT'S GOOD!

But it's a committee who are all appointed by the governor

....that's bad.

Looks like they serve 7 year terms.  Kemp is governor until 2027, so anyone up before then would just be re-appointed or picked by him...

Barnard - up in 2024
Herring - up in 2025
Bunn - up late 2023
Heap - up in 2028
Ward - up in 2030

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh so a bunch of people who just do what they're told, like in Texas

I've only paid attention to this passing, it typically only comes up when we are about to put someone to sleep, but my understanding is that the pardon board can make a recommendation and the Governor generally then has a choice to accept the recommendation or decline it.  I also seem to recall there being a level of bipartisanship with it, like 3 Republicans and 2 Democrats (but that could be wrong, straight off memory).  I also can't recall if it has to be a consensus or majority rules.  What I do recall is that thumb in the air, the recommendation is 95% gone with.  

6 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

like 3 Republicans and 2 Democrats (but that could be wrong, straight off memory)

Basically everyone was appointed by Sonny Perdue, Deal or David Kemp or re-appointed by one of the latter two. So maybe but I’m not betting on it

Edited by Js1

35 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

No Way Wow GIF

Uh.....hhhaaaWAY!  But at least I have the decency and cooperative respect for my fellow citizens to not take my lunatic ass out on the campaign trail to impose my style of government upon the masses.  Unlike Trump who just can't seem to put us all into two camps---adoring worshippers who'd do anything for him and then the rest of us who are obviously manipulated pawns by the liberal elites to continue the witch hunts against him so as to ruin the country we all love and serve.  About 20% of this country loves you no matter what, 20% hates you no matter what, and the other 60% just kinda wants you to shut up and go away so we can move on with life and get back to our shitty political system which flawed as it was at least didn't make us wake up each and every morning to turn on the news and say out loud in front of our children getting ready for kindergarten, "Oh, what the fuck did he do now?"  

And what Donald, praytell, the fuck is a 'Fake Indictment'?  You wanna call the charges fake or evidence fake, fine---your base will eat that up.  But even their dumbasses wills top and question, "How do you fake an indictment"  May as well claim you are being served a fake subpoena by a fake server representing a fake judge in a fake court in a fake jurisdiction.  Years later, it will be discovered that the chatbot that generates Trump's social media posts content had an extra chromosome which made human speech difficult.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Basically everyone was appointed by Sonny Perdue, Deal or David Purdue or re-appointed by one of the latter two. So maybe but I’m not betting on it

The only reason I seem to remember that is because I recall reading it and being somewhat surprised by it.  That I having been said, I could easily be completely wrong about it, or it's changed.  The last time I remember reading about it was when they executed Kelly Gissendaner which was in 2015.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Just reminds me of the Simpsons meme.

The governor of Georgia does not have pardoning power

THAT'S GOOD!

But it's a committee who are all appointed by the governor

....that's bad.

Looks like they serve 7 year terms.  Kemp is governor until 2027, so anyone up before then would just be re-appointed or picked by him...

Barnard - up in 2024
Herring - up in 2025
Bunn - up late 2023
Heap - up in 2028
Ward - up in 2030

The frogurt is also cursed

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Normal Western Democracies: "Four defendants including the former President?  Wonder who those other three are?  Probably bad actors who must answer for their actions."  

post-MAGA America: "Never mind the three other patriots on trial with our fearless leader.  Who's not listed on that indictment?  'Cause that done mean they sung to the fraudulent Jack Smith and weaponized DoJ.  We gotta get those fucking traitors and hang 'em!"  

You know that totally normal reaction you have to several members of a former administrator being brought up on federal felony charges to instigate an overthrow of our Seat of Government.  

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

They can come for any of us!  Unless you’re one of the select few who hasn’t at some point incited an insurrection to try to to overthrow the United States government, or been caught on tape trying to coerce government officials to falsify Presidential election results.  But for the other 99% of us, this is oppression!

I love this ridiculousness.  I can't believe they are going this route.  Even among the cult, it has to only work on like 10% of them.

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Oh it’s a fake indictment. I didn’t know that. I thought it was real, because of the crimes he committed out in the open.

Just die already and save everyone a bunch of time.

image.gif.22985604fe71e0ad19df2ed2e94a8590.gif

Also:

https://www.threads.net/@jefftiedrich/post/CvapuXOP0uA/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

live your life in such a way that the entire fucking world isn't breathlessly waiting for your third indictment

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Who here is surprised that Trump is ready to cast Rudy and Eastman aside.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/donald-trump-jan6-jack-smith-rudy-giuliani-john-eastman-1234798826/

DONALD TRUMP’S ATTORNEYS are preparing a legal plan to shovel blame onto the lawyers who aided his attempt to overturn the 2020 election, two sources familiar with the matter tell Rolling Stone.

Trump is on the cusp of being indicted over Jan. 6 and its surrounding events, and if the case goes to trial, his current legal team is preparing an “advice of counsel” argument, attempting to pull blame away from the former president for any possible illegal activity. Plans for such a defense have been percolating since last year, the two sources say.

Several lawyers in Trump’s ever-shifting legal orbit spent time both this and last year quietly studying past high-profile cases involving this particular line of defense. The attorneys tried to game out how such an argument would fare in front of a judge or a jury.

In the aftermath of Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory, Trump had an armada of lawyers — some officially representing him, and some simply aligned with him — spreading unhinged conspiracy theories and pushing states to reverse the results: Rudy Giuliani. Sidney Powell. John Eastman. The list goes on and on.

The attorneys were acting on Trump’s behalf. But in this legal strategy, Team Trump would argue it was the lawyers leading Trump, rather than the other way around.

“It is an argument the [former] president likes, and the team is on board with it,” one Trump adviser bluntly says, then somewhat ominously adding: “John [Eastman] and Rudy [Giuliani] gave a lot of counsel … Other people can decide how sound it was.”

Trump lawyers and his spokesperson did not respond to requests for comment on this story. But the team is already previewing the “advice of counsel” strategy in the media, repeatedly stressing that the president was acting on the legal advice he was being given.

“My attorneys had a productive meeting with the DOJ this morning, explaining in detail that I did nothing wrong, was advised by many lawyers, and that an Indictment of me would only further destroy our Country,” the (so far) twice-indicted former president posted to his social media website last week. 

Spoiler

Similarly, Trump’s chief spokesman Steven Cheung told Rolling Stone in a brief statement last week that the then-president’s post-election “actions, under advice of many attorneys, were in furtherance of his duties as Commander in Chief and upholding of our Constitution.”

Some people involved in Trump’s legal defense have questioned whether this strategy is sound. Starting last summer, there had been debate among some of Trump’s top attorneys on how effective an aggressive “advice of counsel” would prove, according to two people familiar with the situation. “There were some of us who thought that kind of strategy would fall flat in front of a judge,” a person with direct knowledge of the discussions says.

“To my mind, ‘advice of counsel’ is a much more narrow defense, whereas a more comprehensive view of everything that went into Trump’s state of mind, and would affect the mens rea element of it, is more effective,” Tim Parlatore, formerly a key Trump attorney handling Special Counsel Jack Smith’s investigation who quit the team in May, tells Rolling Stone on Monday. “This would include all of the advice and the information that he received and was basing his decision on — not just the advice from the attorneys who were formally representing him.”

But following the last two months — as the Trump legal team specifically tasked with handling the special counsel’s probes underwent an implosion and then a rebuilding — a clear focus on the advice-of-counsel defense has emerged.

There could be some small snags with using this strategy, though. For instance, many of these lawyers — Giuliani, Eastman, and all the rest — were merely doing what then-President Trump wanted them to do, or had told them to do: to try to find a way to keep Trump in power despite his loss to Joe Biden in the 2020 presidential contest.

“[The ‘advice of counsel’ argument] has its limits. As a lawyer, I can’t tell my client: Look, there’s this obscure, ancient law that I found that says you can kill your wife. If the client goes out and kills his wife, it doesn’t really work if the client turns around and says, ‘Well, wait, my lawyer told me I could do that,’” says Steven Groves, who used to work as an attorney and then as a spokesman in the Trump White House.

“But as for Trump’s current situation, is ‘advice of counsel’ something a judge or a jury would be receptive to? At what point is a client not permitted to rely on the advice of counsel? For what they are likely going to charge Trump with, the former president is going to say he lacked the criminal intent that [the Justice Department] says he had — he is going to likely argue in court that all he did was listen to the professional legal analysis of his array of lawyers, and that is what he acted on,” Groves continues.

Trump’s penchant for blaming aides for his legal troubles has been something of a go-to strategy for the former president.

As New York District Attorney Alvin Bragg prepared to charge Trump over the Stormy Daniels hush money payments earlier this year, Trump signaled that he intended to rely on a similar defense centered on his former attorney Michael Cohen, who arranged the payments. “I had every reason to believe [Cohen] had a license to practice law, was competent, & was able to appropriately provide solid legal services,” Trump fumed on Truth Social in January. “He came from a good law firm, represented other clients over the years, & there was NO reason not to rely on him, and I did.”

Similarly, when city prosecutors charged Trump Organization chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg with tax fraud for unreported fringe benefits, Trump publicly blamed the company’s accounting firm Mazars USA, posting that “The highly paid accounting firm should have routinely picked these things up — we relied on them.” 

In the case of the January 6 investigation, Trump himself has already tried to distance himself from at least one of the attorneys instrumental in the plots to overturn the 2020 election. As Rolling Stone reported early last year, Trump told allies that he’s not interested in lending rhetorical support to Eastman, the Trump-backing attorney who helped devise the bogus electors scheme now being probed by the special counsel’s office.

Trump and his advisers had previously sought to put some distance between themselves and his former chief of staff Mark Meadows, with some close Trump associates painting the once-top Trump aide as a potential “fall guy” for Jan. 6. As congressional investigators on the Jan. 6 committee scrutinized Meadows last summer, Trump pointedly told associates that he wasn’t always aware of his chief of staff’s activities in the run up to the deadly Capitol assault.

• Haha 3

Bannon's gotta be on there.  I think Meadows may have played and cut a deal.  Even money on Eastman.  

I wish I could tell Eric, "Hey, you're listed on there too buddy.  I know you've waited your whole life to see your name in print right next to your dad's. And there it is!"

Eric, "OH wow, really?"

Me, "No dipshit.  He hates you, they'd never include yu in anything like this." 

Great start to August.  15+ months to Election Day, only 460 days of listening to Trump claim this is happening to him because voters to go the polls in just TWO WEEKS!  

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That is a hell of an Introduction the Government alleges in the Indictment.

All that was missing was outright referencing his 1-73 court record, honestly. I wanted to see the actual number 

• Haha 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated