45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

I'm at a firm similar to Winston and Strawn.  Some of the tax partners are $2K/hr. and even senior associates are decently over $1K/hr.  The $750/hr. folks were probably first years, as sad as that is to type.

And many years ago, when I was at a Big Law firm, and $1000 rates first started to crop up, I recall a sr partner saying “shit, I wouldn’t pay $1000 an hour for anything that didn’t involve fantastic tits.”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And many years ago, when I was at a Big Law firm, and $1000 rates first started to crop up, I recall a sr partner saying “shit, I wouldn’t pay $1000 an hour for anything that didn’t involve fantastic tits.”

You know, and I just want a taste of this on the money end, there is a great mix to be had with great tits and legal zoom for 1k and hour.  Just saying.  Maybe an initial focus on elder law.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Legal zoomies. It's when lawyers get really excited and start running circles around the coffee table and suing the shit outta everyone.

I love it when attorneys come running after they hear me open the refrigerator's cheese drawer.

If you post Fani Willis three times in a row whilst looking into a mirror with the lights off, Eric Trump will appear behind you and run his agape lips up and down the back of your neck.  Happy Monday Fuckers!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

We can all laugh about this but it's extremely effective political rhetoric, like always.

image.gif.ba738493f22273bc01b0572a63976384.gif

Literally everything is extremely effective political rhetoric when your base is entirely composed of the dumbest people on the planet.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

33 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Literally everything is extremely effective political rhetoric when your base is entirely composed of the dumbest people on the planet.

I mean that's all well and good, but part of the reason we're in this situation today is while Trump was running with a great call to action like MAGA to enlist a high intensity personal investment from his base, the best Hillary Clinton's team could must the off-putting loyalty test of "I'm with her." God forbid she insult our intelligence with something better.

We don't need to rehash all the shitty things about Clinton, but in order to beat Trump this time people are going to need to be honest about why his supporters are so persistent. He uses effective language to commit them. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

the best Hillary Clinton's team could must the off-putting loyalty test of "I'm with her." God forbid she insult our intelligence with something better.

There was another one that was worse. I forget exactly, but it was something like "I'm ready for Hillary now". 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Let them know that you're fighting for them, and you'll throw some punches to do it. 

I really liked Biden using “battle for the soul of our nation” in 2020. Bc that’s what it is fighting against Trump and GQP fascism. 

• Hook 'Em 5

It's a hard metric to quantify but there has always been an element of "I want to vote, I want to be a good citizen.  And there's some down-ballot stuff important to me and my community.  I don't like anybody at the top of the ballot, but I guess I'll pick Candidate A over Candidate B not because I like A but because B is so off-putting to me."  I think in 2016, Trump got a lot of people out of the woodwork who were just coming out to vote for him.  I think 2024, they're going to rely more and more on, "Yeah, he's an indicted piece of shit, but do you want 4 more years of Biden?"  That's their play, at least for a sizable chunk of the electorate.  

It's never really been a viable multi-state strategy in the modern era before.  There was a little bit of it in Romney v. Obama in 2012.  And then for certain, it was the driving issue for Ford v. Carter in 1976.  But as much as they don't want to admit it, Trump is a hobbled candidate like no other heading into 2024.  It's gonna have to be more about "No more Biden" than "Bring back the Orange God!"  

There's so much yet to unfold though in the next 15 months, nobody knows nuthin' about nuthin'

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Did he say the same thing about 160k associate starting salaries?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Hillary's less-than-inspiring message that amounted to "hey, it's my turn, I was patient, so hand this to me" didn't exactly fire people up.  In fact, it kind of insulted some of the key groups she needed to inspire (e.g., younger voters, minorities).  Boomer entitlement isn't exactly a great sales pitch for such folks.

The instant that Obama's campaign in the 2008 Democratic primaries finished off Hillary, anyone with a pulse knew that she was A) going to be the 2016 Democratic nominee, and B ) she would be in huge trouble in a nationwide general.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Yknow, that's a very salient point generally speaking.

It's just a frigging investigation.  Just like Russia was just an investigation.  You don't really have anything to complain about until and unless you are charged.**

The old saw "if you didn't do anything wrong, what are you worried about" actually applies to investigations.

**That's not to say that the public can't complain about stupid investigations like Hunter Biden, or Benghazi. But it's nothing to get seriously twisted about until charges come down.

6 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

The instant that Obama's campaign in the 2008 Democratic primaries finished off Hillary, anyone with a pulse knew that she was A) going to be the 2016 Democratic nominee, and B ) she would be in huge trouble in a nationwide general.

This might be true, but also it never even occurred to me that she couldn't beat a well-known baboon's ass until I woke up the day after the election in 2016.

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Did he say the same thing about 160k associate starting salaries?

I dunno if he did, but I did.  I hadn't been working there long when the Brobeck-driven salary brinksmanship game started.  After the third raise in a year or something, I remember that my peers in our Dallas office in transactional practices were still cheering.  I was saying "umm...the math no longer works.  They're going to pay us more than we bring in unless we're blowing it out of the water with insane hours.  This isn't sustainable."  They told me to STFU, give us more money.  Shit hit the fan soon enough, and a good number of those guys got laid off.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I dunno if he did, but I did.  I hadn't been working there long when the Brobeck-driven salary brinksmanship game started.  After the third raise in a year or something, I remember that my peers in our Dallas office in transactional practices were still cheering.  I was saying "umm...the math no longer works.  They're going to pay us more than we bring in unless we're blowing it out of the water with insane hours.  This isn't sustainable."  They told me to STFU, give us more money.  Shit hit the fan soon enough, and a good number of those guys got laid off.

I remember that era fondly. I got three raises before I even finished my first year out of law school, topping out at right around $100,000, not including year-end bonus. I don’t recall layoffs at that firm, but right around that time it became increasingly more difficult to make partner. 

56 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I remember that era fondly. I got three raises before I even finished my first year out of law school, topping out at right around $100,000, not including year-end bonus. I don’t recall layoffs at that firm, but right around that time it became increasingly more difficult to make partner. 

Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this period in history.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, GopherRock said:

The trouble she was in garnered her what up until that time, the largest number of votes in a presidential election ever. Her big mistake seems to be she spent a lot of time talking policy and warning the country about the danger a Trump presidency posed. Even she underestimated the danger.

He said that this week?  I mean, it's insanity but at least it was a fresh take in the weeks after the insurrection occurred.  But to hang back for 2+ years after all that we know, exhale off your joint and then chime in with, "Whoah, Bro...what if this was a deep state interference move to under mind Trump, man?"  Say what you will about the fucking morons of 2021, at least they came out early with big swings.  Joe has had nothing but time, evidence, money, and access and all this time later...this is his massive epiphany?  It's like 1986, "Hey, I think Vader might by Luke's father man...this could change everything we know about cinema!"  

• Haha 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated