2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

57 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I think they are smartly picking their battles rather than making it rain like a euphoric Aggie.  Trill isn’t getting Alfred Collins money.  

They're not being incredibly parsimonious or responsible, frankly, but they are not rumored to be in the ballpark of what ATM did with the 2022 class. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He played in arguably one of the best conferences this year. From the highlights I’ve watched of him he’s a strong runner with ELITE quickness and speed. At 5’8 he’s actually better at catching deep balls than Worthy fwiw. 

My broader question is wonder if it’s one or the other for Daniel’s/Bolden or we’d take both?

They seem to view WRs in the portal as pretty fungible. I think they could pull the rug on one or both of these recruitments at any time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/7/2024 at 1:14 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

In answer to a question from a poster - Nahlin says that Dorian Singer is another receiver they are having discussions with. 

I know this is going to be "haha Satya pessimistic" but I hope we have better choices than Singer. He's slow, not especially big, and his inability to get separation was exposed at USC last year. He snags a ton of tough catches which was fine when he was on a 5-7 Arizona team in 2022, but when involved in a deeper WR rotation at USC he fell down the pecking order relatively quickly.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I worried about Worthy being too small. This young man is 25 .lbs lighter than Worthy.  I don't think the risk is worth a scholarship.

Can’t hurt him if they can’t catch him…

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, satyanash said:

I know this is going to be "haha Satya pessimistic" but I hope we have better choices than Singer. He's slow, not especially big, and his inability to get separation was exposed at USC last year. He snags a ton of tough catches which was fine when he was on a 5-7 Arizona team in 2022, but when involved in a deeper WR rotation at USC he fell down the pecking order relatively quickly.

I think they are simply covering as many bases as possible. If they wanted Singer, they'd have been on him like white on rice several weeks ago. My bet is that if Daniels pulls the trigger, they're done, and it he doesn't, the OSU guy gets the full push. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I worried about Worthy being too small. This young man is 25 .lbs lighter than Worthy.  I don't think the risk is worth a scholarship.

This is silly. He just spent 4 years in the PAC 12, he’s not coming up from Division II. 

• Hook 'Em 8

13 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Reminds me of Tank Dell. Who is not too small to wreck shit in the NFL. 

27 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Dude is really really good.  He is small and compact so wont be replace AD Mitchell on the jump balls in the end zone but has elite speed and quickness off the line, runs good routes and has solid hands.  One of the best WRs in the Pac12 over the past few years...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Getafix said:

The Stampede: Jan 08, 2024 (Transfer Content)

Horns247 Staff

Tl;dr

- Daniels visit went well

- Rodgers (Buckeye receiver - may win out if we push; depends on Daniels)

- Caldwell - Texas most likely landing spot

Reveal hidden contents

The Stampede: Jan 08, 2024 (Transfer Content)

Horns247 Staff

TEXAS HOSTS LIBERTY WR TRANSFER CJ DANIELS

Texas is reloading at wide receiver, both from the prep ranks and the Transfer Portal. It's become more and more evident that the staff isn't done either. On Sunday, Liberty wide receiver transfer CJ Daniels woke up early and traveled to Austin for a one-day official visit. This after touring Florida and Auburn in the days prior. Sources close to the recruitment indicated the visit went well and Texas is a serious player to watch in this one. Auburn could ultimately be the Longhorns' chief competition with the Hugh Freeze connection, and the fact that the Tigers are bringing in a lot of young receivers. A source at Florida wasn't as optimistic about the Gators' chances. And while the visit officially concluded at midnight (Dead Period), Daniels is expected to head home on Monday, spending more time in town on his own. Texas landed its top target at wideout in the portal in Houston transfer Matthew Golden, but a 6-foot-2, 200-pound pass catcher that hauled in 1,067 yards and 10 touchdowns this past season would be a welcome addition to a program that's replacing a lot of offensive production. 

TWO OTHER TRANSFERS OF NOTE
While you can't rule anything out in terms of other positions that staff will target from the Transfer Portal, two other prospects of note have been discussed here in recent weeks. 

Ohio State wide receiver transfer Bryson Rodgers has been in contact with the Texas staff, in particular Jeff Banks, this past week. Rodgers is still working on lining up a visit. One source believes it will happen this weekend. If Texas lands the aforementioned Daniels before then that could certainly change things. That is something we're watching this week. As Horns247 reported in recent weeks, there's been mutual interest between the Longhorns and Rodgers since he entered the Transfer Portal after Ohio State's Cotton Bowl loss to Missouri. The staff also recruited Rodgers out of high school after he pledged to the Buckeyes. A strong push from UT would likely win things out for Texas, but it's still to be determined if that push will be made. 

As 247Sports' Chris Hummer reported on Sunday evening, Houston defensive line transfer Jamaree Caldwell is unlikely to stay with the Cougars. That leaves Texas as the most likely landing spot for the immediate impact defensive lineman that had one of his strongest performances of the season against the Longhorns (2 sacks) back in October. This is a change in that Caldwell was originally expected to stay at UH after new head coach Willie Fritz retained defensive line coach Brian Early. However, that's no longer the case. There's no timeframe on a decision, but it appears things are headed in the right direction for UT. 

Appreciate the Tl;dr.

🤘

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Tony Jones went over the middle and held onto a ball while Steve Atwater lined him up for a kill shot. He held onto it and we won and he was fine. The rules are tougher on defenders trying to make big hits now, too.

Worry about his blocking, not his safety. 

He also beat me in a foot race in our Biology of Birds class.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

That may be the play of the year for me.

As a Texas fan over the last 15 years, I was conditioned to expect the pass to be dropped. And then, it wasn't. The game was saved. The season was saved. What a moment. I hope AD crushes it in the NFL.

Imagine Collin Johnson on this team. Man, that dude could catch anything within a 5 mile radius. Sucks he was constantly injured and couldn't get separation, but he could catch anything.

IMG_8790.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Man what a precious memory.

So I have a story about this. That evening I saw Ty Allert at Maggie Mae's and he introduced me to his fellow San Diego LB teammate Billy Ray Smith. I was so happy about the game I asked Ty if he saw that final play and Billy Ray started moaning in pain. Of course, I wasn't even thinking about him being a former Razorback. He was very cool about it, seemed like a very nice guy. Fun times.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Baylor's Charlie Dancer weighed 140 pounds when he led the SWC in receiving yards. Granted, that was 50 years ago...but still. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

I’m trying to understand Auburn’s allure in the new NIL era. Are they throwing stupid aggy type money at players or is Freeze running whores again?

Tell us you know nothing about the SEC without telling us.  Auburn is a cool college town, that is really growing.  Its close to his home and has National Championship potential.  Chizik won there, go figure.  As did Gus and Tuberville. There is plenty of money at Auburn, SEC in general. You may be confusing AU with Miss St.  Gameday there is exceptional, they recruit FL/GA heavily and always have athletes.  Auburn in general has a very good rep in the south, where he is from and is plenty well capitalized.  They arent UGA or UF of course in NIL potential, but they will do fine. IMO most of us Texas fans are going to be surprised about the SEC in terms of the draw to places like Auburn, Ole Miss Columbia etc.. I dont think the deep south is quite like we remember, 66% of the incoming Freshman at Bama were from out of state.

Edited by jdhorn92

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

Dude is really really good.  He is small and compact so wont be replace AD Mitchell on the jump balls in the end zone but has elite speed and quickness off the line, runs good routes and has solid hands.  One of the best WRs in the Pac12 over the past few years...

Sounds like a slot guy, in the mold of all the Texas tech guys that tormented us all the time.

Edited by Dr.Dre
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Tell us you know nothing about the SEC without telling us.  Auburn is a cool college town, that is really growing.  Its close to his home and has National Championship potential.  Chizik won there, go figure.  As did Gus and Tuberville. There is plenty of money at Auburn, SEC in general. You may be confusing AU with Miss St.  Gameday there is exceptional, they recruit FL/GA heavily and always have athletes.  Auburn in general has a very good rep in the south, where he is from and is plenty well capitalized.  They arent UGA or UF of course in NIL potential, but they will do fine. IMO most of us Texas fans are going to be surprised about the SEC in terms of the draw to places like Auburn, Ole Miss Columbia etc.. I dont think the deep south is quite like we remember, 66% of the incoming Freshman at Bama were from out of state.

Presented by the Auburn University Alumni Association.  War Eagle!

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Oregon St didn’t really play him in the slot - he was only slot WR about 20% of his snaps. 

Yeah dude is just a good receiver....he makes contested catches down field even at his height. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

USC recruiting Bolden is interesting. He does a lot of the same things that Branch is projected to do. 

Watched a video and the comp was a smaller Branch.

Bolden is listed at 5-foot-10, 175 pounds on 247Sports and On3. 

5-foot-8 on sports reference and ESPN.

The kid has excellent ball skills and explosiveness. He's a mismatch opportunity who can score in the red zone by beating man coverage or making a guy miss in the screen game.

I'd take him and a big target as well. Niblett probably needs more seasoning. Moore has to prove he can hold on to the ball when it counts.

Cook

Golden

Daniels (?)

Wingo

Bolden

Good 5 man rotation. Moore can get some time in the right situations.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Auburn is a very mid tier college town. It only seems booming or especially fun compared to the Stillwaters of the world.

Obviously Oxford, Athens, Gainesville, etc are legitimately cool.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

The kid has excellent ball skills and explosiveness. He's a mismatch opportunity who can score in the red zone by beating man coverage or making a guy miss in the screen game.

I'd take him and a big target as well. Niblett probably needs more seasoning. Moore has to prove he can hold on to the ball when it counts.

Cook

Golden

Daniels (?)

Wingo

Bolden

Sark doesn’t rotate receivers. I would be surprised if Texas took two more portal receivers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

You seem triggered. I know plenty about the SEC. Most of the time a school as bad as Auburn has been recently has trouble getting recruits to buy in and commit. They currently have the 11th ranked class in the country and are contending for KJ Lacey and Ryan Williams. Hugh Freeze has a history of recruiting fuckery so I made a joke. Lighten up Francis.

52 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Cook

Golden

Daniels (?)

Wingo

Bolden

5 hours ago, cochamps said:

In that Utah video, the guy looked more like 175-180.

Maybe I should go into the scouting bidness, like an Ian Boyd.  As such, I will say this dude projects a safety.  😉

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

That's a huge get for Day

He was toxic at Ole Miss and loathed by his teammates.  There are vidoes circulating around of his offensive linemen pointedly not helping him up.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.