2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

Bolden is listed at 5-foot-10, 175 pounds on 247Sports and On3. 
5-foot-8 on sports reference and ESPN.
The kid has excellent ball skills and explosiveness. He's a mismatch opportunity who can score in the red zone by beating man coverage or making a guy miss in the screen game.
I'd take him and a big target as well. Niblett probably needs more seasoning. Moore has to prove he can hold on to the ball when it counts.
Cook
Golden
Daniels (?)
Wingo
Bolden
Good 5 man rotation. Moore can get some time in the right situations.

Sarks not a fan of WR rotations, once he has his core group he usually sticks with it.

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:
7 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:
Bolden is listed at 5-foot-10, 175 pounds on 247Sports and On3. 
5-foot-8 on sports reference and ESPN.
The kid has excellent ball skills and explosiveness. He's a mismatch opportunity who can score in the red zone by beating man coverage or making a guy miss in the screen game.
I'd take him and a big target as well. Niblett probably needs more seasoning. Moore has to prove he can hold on to the ball when it counts.
Cook
Golden
Daniels (?)
Wingo
Bolden
Good 5 man rotation. Moore can get some time in the right situations.

Sarks not a fan of WR rotations, once he has his core group he usually sticks with it.

I wonder how he keeps getting 4+ WRs to commit each year when only 4 WRs get to run routes and he only designs plays for two WRs plus the TEs & the RBs. 

Even with 9 WRs on the team vs 13 to 15 with past regimes, 3 guys won’t see the field each season and 1 or 2 more WRs will only run a few routes just to give the real targets a breather, but they would never actually be one of the first 3 targets in the progression sequence. 

When other passing teams  pass the ball to 5 WRs a game in addition to other targets (RBs, TEs, & DLs), it was rare to see our 3rd target get more than a single catch. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I wonder how he keeps getting 4+ WRs to commit each year when only 4 WRs get to run routes and he only designs plays for two WRs plus the TEs & the RBs. 

If he's putting 2-3 WRs in the league each year, then the sell isn't that hard. You may sit for a year or two, but when it's your turn, you'll be featured, and featured well. And if you get buried in the depth chart, the portal allows for easy transfers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Even with 9 WRs on the team vs 13 to 15 with past regimes, 3 guys won’t see the field each season and 1 or 2 more WRs will only run a few routes just to give the real targets a breather, but they would never actually be one of the first 3 targets in the progression sequence. 

When other passing teams  pass the ball to 5 WRs a game in addition to other targets (RBs, TEs, & DLs), it was rare to see our 3rd target get more than a single catch. 

It’s pretty wild how many things you got wrong in this post. For one, we base out of 11 personnel and ran that package a majority of our plays, so it’s not true he only designs plays for 2 WRs. 

You also said it was rare our 3rd target  would get more than a single catch. Our 3rd WR averaged 4 catches per game and that was with an elite receiving TE who averaged 4 catches per game. So the targets and catches for our top 4 receiving options were very high. 

It’s not at all surprising that Sark can get 3-4 WRs to commit every year when his top 4 receiving options put up good numbers every single year. Waiting around for a year or two when cracking the rotation more or less guarantees you’ll put up good numbers and likely get drafted makes plenty of sense. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I *almost* feel bad saying this. Evan Stewart going somewhere and sucking and not getting drafted or drafted really late would also be a really helpful recruiting tool in the age of NIL. This guy was a 5 star, in our backyard, and we needed him desperately. He and his family chose somewhat more money (this part is a bit of poetic license) over being developed. Do we took other guys instead of him. Our guys are high draft picks, that guy is struggling to make a practice squad.  

Understanding Stewart is a shit-heel and your original point is about draft stock/NIL dollars; If he does have some type of longer term injury, doesn't taking more money early make sense?  He has all the physical talent in the world but injuries can derail just as fast as being considered a raw prospect.

3 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Understanding Stewart is a shit-heel and your original point is about draft stock/NIL dollars; If he does have some type of longer term injury, doesn't taking more money early make sense?  He has all the physical talent in the world but injuries can derail just as fast as being considered a raw prospect.

Bleeding vagina is a normal thing for girls, so I wouldn’t consider it a long term injury.

16 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Tony Jones went over the middle and held onto a ball while Steve Atwater lined him up for a kill shot. He held onto it and we won and he was fine. The rules are tougher on defenders trying to make big hits now, too.

Worry about his blocking, not his safety. 

One of my all time favorite plays. Eric metcalf on the sideline and then TJ on the slant. Come to think of it, from about the 10-12 if my memory is correct. Coulda used that play a week ago. I’ll never forget where I was nor that fist pump. Fuck arky.

35 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I suspect his talk of injury (mental and physical) is meant as an excuse for giving up on his team with three games remaining. If you're an NIL collective wanting to acquire talent and the cost of that talent is high, him opting out when games are left to be played bends the cost/benefit in a direction unfavorable to him. That and he isn't a team guy, is a drama queen, and malcontent. And his talent, while good, isn't significantly better than his peers. It will be interesting to see where he lands. Has he even taken visits?

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Yuk said:

I suspect his talk of injury (mental and physical) is meant as an excuse for giving up on his team with three games remaining. If you're an NIL collective wanting to acquire talent and the cost of that talent is high, him opting out when games are left to be played bends the cost/benefit in a direction unfavorable to him. That and he isn't a team guy, is a drama queen, and malcontent. And his talent, while good, isn't significantly better than his peers. It will be interesting to see where he lands. Has he even taken visits?

The aggies have had an "epidemic" of players suffering "injuries" and sitting out games to end the season the last few years. Mercenaries are like that.

Wouldn't Hill and Blackshire essentially fulfill the same role in PKs defense?

Blackshire is not going to help in coverage, where Lefau will uniquely thrive.

Blackshire has been good on special teams though. I doubt that he would accept that role in transfer.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Well, Mr. Stewart, no one besides your son and the propagandists at Texags have been claiming injuries on his end. You make a sound argument for defending your behaviors and ATM's in this process, but the rest of us didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. Your son quit on the team to finish the season. Any team digging in on his work ethic and behaviors at ATM is going to be told about that pretty quickly.

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm intrigued on this one. I cannot foresee NIL being at play here, so if he comes to Texas, I'm assuming floor or zero NIL value for him. I don't want him and thought he was a bit of an asshole during his recruitment regarding Texas. But, sure, a special teams guy that can spot in as a backup occasionally at LB, fine.

38 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Whew. This did not look like a guy that Sarkisian was honestly targeting. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, Mr. Stewart, no one besides your son and the propagandists at Texags have been claiming injuries on his end. You make a sound argument for defending your behaviors and ATM's in this process, but the rest of us didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. Your son quit on the team to finish the season. Any team digging in on his work ethic and behaviors at ATM is going to be told about that pretty quickly.

I'm intrigued on this one. I cannot foresee NIL being at play here, so if he comes to Texas, I'm assuming floor or zero NIL value for him. I don't want him and thought he was a bit of an asshole during his recruitment regarding Texas. But, sure, a special teams guy that can spot in as a backup occasionally at LB, fine.

Whew. This did not look like a guy that Sarkisian was honestly targeting. 

your-superpower-is-your-honesty-be-honest.gif.c6ac0cb28e0a0699dc63716c2b979f10.gif

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bobby said this morning that part of the thought process with Barron considering a return is he wants to play more CB.

So, he will be playing with a different team then? Don't see where he fits in at cornerback here.

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

So, he will be playing with a different team then? Don't see where he fits in at cornerback here.

He can work at corner during the spring and get spot play during the season.

5 minutes ago, pacman said:

You’re blind then unless you want to rely on true freshmen. There is a scenario where Baron/Mukuba play nickel and slide to other positions when we move out of that package. Especially in a long season where we only have two guys at the position with experience. Holmes is meh at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Yeah, I don’t really see that with Brooks and Muhammad, but what do I know. Muhammad looks like a future star. 

Brooks has not yet proven his ability to bump and run with receivers, despite his complaints about not having enough chances to do so. So maybe there is an opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Phew, whoever was worried about having a Johntay and a Lajohntay on the same team can rest easy now.

How about Tay Tay? Tay Tay appears well liked at least.

4 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

This is why you’re still in the mail room, Glen. 

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

On Silas Bolden, in the Pac-12 conference - 

- In 2022, he was #1 in kickoff returns (total yards as well as average per return)

- In 2023, he was #2 in both

- In 2023, he was top 10 in all purpose yards

(On the Oregon State 247 board, they seemed very disappointed to see him leave, and a few remarked how Texas would be a good fit.)

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- In 2022, he was #1 in kickoff returns (total yards as well as average per return)

(On the Oregon State 247 board, they seemed very disappointed to see him leave, and a few remarked how Texas would be a good fit.)

Poor Oregon State has been absolutely decimated since being left behind. 

21 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Kid reminds me of Jakeem Grant. He put up 200 yds on 6 total touches vs Texas his senior year.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.