2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes, but, Bobby needed a a recruiting guy on his show.  He’s obviously not as polished as Gerry was, but compared to some of the heavy-breathers who populate the 995er market, I don’t think he’s too bad. 

He’s clearly not GH but he’s steadily improving and getting more comfortable. Give him some time.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

My brain: "People have short memories and love binary thinking. They forget we had extremely close games against weak competition, and start to think every win was a blowout. I'll never be comfortable until the game is over."

My balls: "The SEC is scurred. Undefeated is on the table."

DLSnt5.gif

Counterpoint: All of that "weak competition" were playing the mother of all jihad games.

It was impressive actually.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Poor, poor Alabama is all in their feelings because mean old Texas is poaching their players.

"Texas just declared war on Alabama?" Uh, you started it buddy. Fucking hypocrites with their heads in the sand about how things went down pre-NIL. If only we could go back to the good old days when recruits were bought and sold under the table with a push from sleazebag street agents and uncles with their hands out. I think Deboer is a really good coach, but I am rooting hard for him to fail miserably and get crushed under the weight of Alabama expectations and weak NIL backing.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2024/01/goodman-texas-declares-war-on-alabama.html

Reveal hidden contents

The modern age of the SEC is here, Nick Saban is gone and Texas just declared war on Alabama.

It’s a lot for me to process in these vulnerable hours after Alabama said so long to the architect of “the process.”

The Longhorns might not officially be in the league just yet — that happens in July — but Texas let everyone know on Sunday that it’s ready to carve out its own sadistic reputation in the most cutthroat conference of them all. Texas coach Steve Sarkisian was once beloved in Alabama, but now he is a Marvel supervillain after lighting Alabama’s soul on fire.

Call him Sark The Shark. Call him Sark The Savage. Sark, the rogue. Sark, the vengeful, insatiable genius.

With the carrot cake commemorating Saban’s retirement still fresh, Texas robbed Alabama of its reputation, its cherished memories and arguably its best player all in the same chess move. In the wake of Saban’s retirement, Iron Bowl hero Isaiah Bond left Alabama for Texas and I still can’t believe it.

Saban retired on a Wednesday and Bond was gone before new Alabama coach Kalen DeBoer could even unpack his travel bag.

DeBoer asked players to give him a chance. Bond said give me some cowboy boots and a black hat.

Bond is the receiver who made the famous touchdown catch in the most recent Iron Bowl. It made him an instant celebrity in the state of Alabama. Fourth and 31 will go down as one of the greatest plays in Alabama football history, but we’re less than two months removed from that magical moment and it all suddenly feels like the charred ruins of a smoldering empire.

There was once a time when being an Iron Bowl hero meant legendary status for life. That era of college football is officially gone.

It was Auburn that was supposed to feel eternal pain after Alabama’s miraculous throw from Jalen Milroe to Bond, but now Alabama will be watching an Iron Bowl legend suit up for Texas next season. Is nothing sacred anymore? Is Bevo the new king of the SEC? How is this even real life?

Being an Iron Bowl legend was once an access card to a different world. In that sense, things haven’t changed. Now it’s a ticket out of town.

I suddenly feel like writing breakup poetry.

Is it too late for Saban to un-retire?

Can His GOAT-ness pull an Urban Meyer?

Hold my beer while I stick my head in the oven.

Take away this pain with a blindside concussion.

Let’s be clear. There should be no hard feelings for Bond. He did nothing wrong in transferring from Alabama to Texas. No one can fault a player for cashing in when they can. The money is out there, so go get it. That’s the game. That’s the American Dream.

College football in 2024 is pure, uncut capitalism. No rules. No regulations. All business.

But it hurts, man. I can’t lie. Even for a grizzled, time-hardened press-box pilcrow like me, this one cuts deep. Players come and they go these days, but that doesn’t mean fans and observers of the game have to enjoy it.

Bond entered the transfer portal shortly after Saban announced he was walking away. Bond later said that Saban’s retirement “100 percent” informed his decision to walk, too. Saban saw all of this coming, of course. When asked about the NIL transfer era, Saban once famously snapped back, “Is this what we want college football to become?”

Answer: Heck no.

Saban didn’t retire because of the changes to roster management in college football, but losing players to the portal certainly made the job less enjoyable. Coaches dedicate large portions of their lives to recruiting players, and schools spend millions of dollars to fund the chase, and then, after all that, Iron Bowl heroes leave for another school.

Saban was the greatest recruiter the game ever saw. Raising money to pay players is the key to winning for Alabama’s new coach, and there are deeper pockets in the new SEC. What’s an Iron Bowl compared to a Texas war chest filled with gold?

They declared war on all of college football years ago, they’re just not used to other teams fighting back is all

• Hook 'Em 5

According to Feldman Johnny Nansen doesn’t appear to be on the list of Arizona’s next HC candidates.

Arizona’s defensive players tweeted out #HireNansen last night, so they clearly want to play for the guy. If I were Sark/Nansen I’d look at that and target ILB Jacob Manu, IDL Bill Norton, and (to a lesser extent) IDL Tyler Manoa.

• Hook 'Em 9

3 minutes ago, CaseMcCoyTruther said:

According to Feldman Johnny Nansen doesn’t appear to be on the list of Arizona’s next HC candidates.

Arizona’s defensive players tweeted out #HireNansen last night, so they clearly want to play for the guy. If I were Sark/Nansen I’d look at that and target ILB Jacob Manu, IDL Bill Norton, and (to a lesser extent) IDL Tyler Manoa.

Manu is the one we should be all

over 

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let’s all do ourselves a favor and not lionize Arch Manning from here forward when it comes to NIL. 

You might know more on this particular circumstance than I do, but I’m more presuming that Arch has far better endorsement potential from corporate sources than probably anyone in college football.  If that frees up the guys donating to the Trey Moore fund then it’s an advantageous use of resources.  

9 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I was mostly joking with that post, but reminded me about something. 

It is strange to me that everyone assumes we won't have a target on our back in the SEC like we did in the Big 12. I'm not sure I can get on board with that notion. I lived for a big part of my life in the southeast. Those people fucking hate Texas (the state) and Texans. More than A&M ever could, we represent the state of Texas and those fans will absolutely be out for blood. That is on top of not wanting the embarrassment of losing to one of the new teams from the inferior Big 12. We will 100% still be a jihad game for almost every SEC program we play. Tennessee won't hate us like they hate Bama, nor will Georgia hate us the way they hate Florida. But they will still hate us. 

And that's a good thing. Fuck those schools and those fans. We're Texas. But don't think for a second that they won't play their best game against us. 

Especially with early success. Comes with the territory. Now let’s go kick some ass and make the hate 

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

It is strange to me that everyone assumes we won't have a target on our back in the SEC like we did in the Big 12. I'm not sure I can get on board with that notion. I lived for a big part of my life in the southeast. Those people fucking hate Texas (the state) and Texans. More than A&M ever could, we represent the state of Texas and those fans will absolutely be out for blood. That is on top of not wanting the embarrassment of losing to one of the new teams from the inferior Big 12. We will 100% still be a jihad game for almost every SEC program we play. Tennessee won't hate us like they hate Bama, nor will Georgia hate us the way they hate Florida. But they will still hate us. 

And that's a good thing. Fuck those schools and those fans. We're Texas. But don't think for a second that they won't play their best game against us. 

We will also have a target.  But less so in the Big 12 where we were every other team's super bowl.

Most SEC teams outside of A&M, OU, and Arkansas will have several other teams they care more about than Texas.  So the other 10 teams won't be holding Texas prep weeks during August practices. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

We will also have a target.  But less so in the Big 12 where we were every other team's super bowl.

Most SEC teams outside of A&M, OU, and Arkansas will have several other teams they care more about than Texas.  So the other 10 teams won't be holding Texas prep weeks during August practices. 

Our target will be more “we want to show Texas who the top dog is” And less “jihad level hate” where a 1-11 season where they beat Texas is fine with their boosters 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

T-shirt Bama fans (living here in Georgia for the past 40 years, I know many) have turned uncharacteristically somber. Part of that of course is from the loss to Michigan, but it's more a realization of the future. Talk has gone from "Texas has no idea what a bloodbath they signed to for in the SEC" to "College football used to be fun." You love to see it. 

Alabraska. Clap clap clap clap clap. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The modern age of the SEC is here, Nick Saban is gone and Texas just declared war on Alabama.

It’s a lot for me to process in these vulnerable hours after Alabama said so long to the architect of “the process.”

The Longhorns might not officially be in the league just yet — that happens in July — but Texas let everyone know on Sunday that it’s ready to carve out its own sadistic reputation in the most cutthroat conference of them all. Texas coach Steve Sarkisian was once beloved in Alabama, but now he is a Marvel supervillain after lighting Alabama’s soul on fire.

Call him Sark The Shark. Call him Sark The Savage. Sark, the rogue. Sark, the vengeful, insatiable genius.

With the carrot cake commemorating Saban’s retirement still fresh, Texas robbed Alabama of its reputation, its cherished memories and arguably its best player all in the same chess move. In the wake of Saban’s retirement, Iron Bowl hero Isaiah Bond left Alabama for Texas and I still can’t believe it.

Saban retired on a Wednesday and Bond was gone before new Alabama coach Kalen DeBoer could even unpack his travel bag.

DeBoer asked players to give him a chance. Bond said give me some cowboy boots and a black hat.

Bond is the receiver who made the famous touchdown catch in the most recent Iron Bowl. It made him an instant celebrity in the state of Alabama. Fourth and 31 will go down as one of the greatest plays in Alabama football history, but we’re less than two months removed from that magical moment and it all suddenly feels like the charred ruins of a smoldering empire.

There was once a time when being an Iron Bowl hero meant legendary status for life. That era of college football is officially gone.

It was Auburn that was supposed to feel eternal pain after Alabama’s miraculous throw from Jalen Milroe to Bond, but now Alabama will be watching an Iron Bowl legend suit up for Texas next season. Is nothing sacred anymore? Is Bevo the new king of the SEC? How is this even real life?

Being an Iron Bowl legend was once an access card to a different world. In that sense, things haven’t changed. Now it’s a ticket out of town.

I suddenly feel like writing breakup poetry.

Is it too late for Saban to un-retire?

Can His GOAT-ness pull an Urban Meyer?

Hold my beer while I stick my head in the oven.

Take away this pain with a blindside concussion.

Let’s be clear. There should be no hard feelings for Bond. He did nothing wrong in transferring from Alabama to Texas. No one can fault a player for cashing in when they can. The money is out there, so go get it. That’s the game. That’s the American Dream.

College football in 2024 is pure, uncut capitalism. No rules. No regulations. All business.

But it hurts, man. I can’t lie. Even for a grizzled, time-hardened press-box pilcrow like me, this one cuts deep. Players come and they go these days, but that doesn’t mean fans and observers of the game have to enjoy it.

Bond entered the transfer portal shortly after Saban announced he was walking away. Bond later said that Saban’s retirement “100 percent” informed his decision to walk, too. Saban saw all of this coming, of course. When asked about the NIL transfer era, Saban once famously snapped back, “Is this what we want college football to become?”

Answer: Heck no.

Saban didn’t retire because of the changes to roster management in college football, but losing players to the portal certainly made the job less enjoyable. Coaches dedicate large portions of their lives to recruiting players, and schools spend millions of dollars to fund the chase, and then, after all that, Iron Bowl heroes leave for another school.

Saban was the greatest recruiter the game ever saw. Raising money to pay players is the key to winning for Alabama’s new coach, and there are deeper pockets in the new SEC. What’s an Iron Bowl compared to a Texas war chest filled with gold?

image.png.7dfd23d47a2f08b8de166d92b419daeb.png

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Put me in the camp that thinks Texas will be no where near the top of the lists. Here is who I see in front of us for each team unless we are number one.

Alabama Crimson Tide - Auburn, LSU and Tennessee
Arkansas Razorbacks - Texas!
Auburn Tigers - Alabama, Georgia, LSU
Florida Gators - Georgia, LSU and Alabama
Georgia Bulldogs - Florida, Tennessee, Auburn
Kentucky Wildcats - Who knows and who cares
LSU Tigers - Alabama, Ole Miss maybe Texas in the future
Mississippi State Bulldogs - Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss
Missouri Tigers - Oklahoma
Ole Miss Rebels - LSU, MSt
South Carolina Gamecocks - Who knows and who cares
Tennessee Volunteers - Florida, Alabama even Georgia before us
Texas A&M Aggies - TEXAS!!!!, they pretend to not like LSU
Vanderbilt Commodores - Who knows and who cares

Now that I thought about it more your post may be worthy of message board genius.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Let me tell you something, I had a dream about this moment. Watching Quinn make sweet love to his bitch, Bama. Over the top on them...powerful throws...filling the sultry night air. Heavy breath. Our son Arch walked by, little boy, then Milwee sprung from the sidelines and said, "No, Arch. Leave!" I said "No, AJ. Shut your mouth, let him watch. Let him watch what is being consecrated here and I want the people to watch what is being consecrated here".  And I will bring Arch down here and he will watch. He will watch UT battling here. UT becoming one. Ok? 

image.thumb.png.a29cd3134af91d6374460a4fff8dc5c4.png

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Our target will be more “we want to show Texas who the top dog is” And less “jihad level hate” where a 1-11 season where they beat Texas is fine with their boosters 

Hell even Mississippi State thinks we are not ready for the SEC and they will treat us as a very winnable game instead of a super bowl. Kentucky may do the same if we come in with a few losses.

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Let me tell you something, I had a dream about this moment. Watching Quinn make sweet love to his bitch, Bama. Over the top on them...powerful throws...filling the sultry night air. Heavy breath. Our son Arch walked by, little boy, then Milwee sprung from the sidelines and said, "No, Arch. Leave!" I said "No, AJ. Shut your mouth, let him watch. Let him watch what is being consecrated here and I want the people to watch what is being consecrated here".  And I will bring Arch down here and he will watch. He will watch UT battling here. UT becoming one. Ok? 

Consecrated?  Did you mean to say consummated?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, mantis toboggan said:

Substance aside I find it difficult to listen to CJ. Very repetitive in phrase and word, taking 4 sentences to express a one sentence thought. Similar to Wells which caused be to fast forward anytime he spoke. 

Comparing CJ Vogel to Justin Wells is an insult. Sure Vogel is verbose, but he's no folksy regard. I would much rather listen to CJ than anyone with IT.

I personally believe Gerry Hamilton will be back with On Texas Football at some point in the future. I won't apologize if it ends up being wish casting on my part.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Put me in the camp that thinks Texas will be no where near the top of the lists. Here is who I see in front of us for each team unless we are number one.

Now that I thought about it more your post may be worthy of message board genius.

So….OU sucks.

Got it.

44 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Comparing CJ Vogel to Justin Wells is an insult. Sure Vogel is verbose, but he's no folksy regard. I would much rather listen to CJ than anyone with IT.

I personally believe Gerry Hamilton will be back with On Texas Football at some point in the future. I won't apologize if it ends up being wish casting on my part.

Thank you for correcting me. 

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Yurosek is fantastic - I've watched him play the past ~2 years. He has been held back by poor QB play at Stanford but with Quinn I think the sky's the limit. I'll be really happy if we can get him, assuming we can't get Staes from Tennessee.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, onsager said:

Yurosek is fantastic - I've watched him play the past ~2 years. He has been held back by poor QB play at Stanford but with Quinn I think the sky's the limit. I'll be really happy if we can get him, assuming we can't get Staes from Tennessee.

Sounds like Staes is no longer a possibility. Probably between Yurosek and Niblack

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, onsager said:

Is that you, Lars?

• Haha 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Sounds like Staes is no longer a possibility. Probably between Yurosek and Niblack

Gotcha, thanks for letting me know about Staes. What a blessing it is to be (potentially) choosing between Yurosek and Niblack, they're both excellent. I fucking love Sark.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

You forgot someone.

Also, some schools have rivals they don’t truly hate, like KSU and ISU (Farmagedden). I’d be willing to bet some of those SEC schools hate Bama more than their supposed top rival, and therefore get more hyped up to play them. Texas will get that level of hate, and Bama may see the hate fade a bit as their dominance subsides.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

It’s not wish casting. I’m guessing we’re inside of a month from it, but I’m wrong a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

It’s not wish casting. I’m guessing we’re inside of a month from it, but I’m wrong a lot. 

I bet they're going to bring him on in the middle of a live show to read the manscaped promos

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.