2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Downs’ agent was negotiating with Ohio State before he ever entered the portal. Georgia got involved. Texas is being mentioned as a negotiating tactic. I don’t think Texas is working on this one. Maybe something is happening late with Texas, but I doubt it. 

Expect Texas to be mentioned in every high profile portal situation, but don’t take anything seriously unless a player actually visits. 

This is key. Every single player Texas has seriously pursued has set up a visit quickly.

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, Noozak said:

A Georgia booster friend of mine just told me that Ohio State and Texas are throwing "unprecedented" money at Caleb Downs. Sounds like bullshit to me, but he was right about AD Mitchell leaving and coming to Texas well before the news became public. Figured I would ask before I would tell him his source sucks.

This is SOP for UGA for anyone they want but don't think they will get.  I've heard this same story about dozens of recruits.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

This is key. Every single player Texas has seriously pursued has set up a visit quickly.

"Did he have hands? Did he have a face? Yes? Then it wasn't us."

Our position when asked about portal players:

"Did he schedule a visit? Was he a productive, good locker room guy? No? Then it isn't us."

• Hook 'Em 8

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Deboer is tearing Alabama down to the studs in order to rebuild something that didn’t need to be rebuilt. Folks still employed there are fucking dumbfounded. 

I guess this is the way Deboer did it at his other stops, so it’s got to be this way in Tuscaloosa? I’m enjoying it, I know that. 

I'd argue he's never been in this kind of situation and is fucking the goat.

At Sioux Falls he was the OC and took over for the late Bob Young when he retired, so he just kept the winning going that Young started.

At Fresno and Washington he took over teams that were both 4-8 the year before so changes were likely warranted - but at least Washington was only a couple of years removed from Petersen (and still had a lot of his recruits). 

This is the first time he's been given the keys to a Ferrari and instead of just driving the car he's dismantling it to see if it can go faster while simultaneously firing and replacing the pit crew. 

It MIGHT work but...yikes. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Downs’ agent was negotiating with Ohio State before he ever entered the portal. Georgia got involved. Texas is being mentioned as a negotiating tactic. I don’t think Texas is working on this one. Maybe something is happening late with Texas, but I doubt it. 

Expect Texas to be mentioned in every high profile portal situation, but don’t take anything seriously unless a player actually visits. 

It's the college football version of "The Lakers are interested in x"

I expect Texas to be tied to/or have their interest in high profile transfers exaggerated the same way by agents 

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

This is SOP for UGA for anyone they want but don't think they will get.  I've heard this same story about dozens of recruits.

When these schools cry about losing another player because someone else paid 7 figures for them, it is nothing more than a sales pitch to get their fans to poor more into the collectives. Saban openly asked for additional funds, and now Kirby and the rest of college football are following his lead. 

I think there's something to the new guy who is going to show everyone he's in charge.  I went through this at work several years ago when my boss retired.  He had been here a really long time and everyone loved him.  The new guy changed pretty much how we did everything for no other reason than he could.

16 minutes ago, RichUT said:

That exact strategy has been de rigueur in European Soccer transfer negotiations for the last decade plus. Come to think of it, the combination of NIL and the transfer portal is pushing college football squarely into a transfer market operating model, except that teams are getting no financial upside when star players move on. 

As a Chelsea fan this hits close to home

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

It's the college football version of "The Lakers are interested in x"

I expect Texas to be tied to/or have their interest in high profile transfers exaggerated the same way by agents 

I would also equate it to MLB when the Yankees, Dodgers or Red Sox are "interested" it is just to drive up the free agent's price. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The irony of Georgia or Bama people complaining about how other programs are spending is overdose-level absurd comedy. 

They've spent so long openly buying recruits that it's the only way they can think.

slightly off topic, but deboer is in a tough spot at best, fucking nuts at worst (if he is actually pushing guys out). 

i'm not an expert re their roster, but it looks like bama lost to the draft and portal the equivalent of:

• back 7, edge
  • both OT, C, 2 best WR, RB

from their starters and a ton of depth. 

I thought deboer's toughest challenge was going to be trying to get as much experience as possible in april portal, then hanging onto his existing talent after they lose a few games next year. 

if they lose a few games next year, it's going to be open season in the following portal on a very talented roster that all the sudden could be very nervous about the program's prospects. 

i don't care how good of a coach deboer is, i don't see anyone winning in the portal era if you can't keep your core of good players together. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

But none of these players want to stay and play for DeBoer? I heard he's the best coach in the country and we should be terrified he's at Bama
It's really starting to look like Saban had the hubris to believe as long as he announced that he would still be around the program (similar to what bag o' dicks Bob did when he passed the keys to little Lincoln) and have an office in the stadium that it wouldn't matter who Bama hired, and losses would be minimal. I don't think it's lack of faith in Deboer so much as it is knowing that it takes a new coaching staff 3-4 years on average to get things going...and nobody wants to be part of a painful rebuild.

Times have changed...a lot of these kids have agents and other outside people pointing out these things and giving advice. And yes that can even include the ones coming straight out of HS..especially if they're considered the #1 QB
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ousux said:

It's really starting to look like Saban had the hubris to believe as long as he announced that he would still be around the program (similar to what bag o' dicks Bob did when he passed the keys to little Lincoln) and have an office in the stadium that it wouldn't matter who Bama hired, and losses would be minimal. I don't think it's lack of faith in Deboer so much as it is knowing that it takes a new coaching staff 3-4 years on average to get things going...and nobody wants to be part of a painful rebuild.

Times have changed...a lot of these kids have agents and other outside people pointing out these things and giving advice. And yes that can even include the ones coming straight out of HS..especially if they're considered the #1 QB

Saban doesn't care, he's out.. and if KB flames into a dumpster, it only makes his legend status..even more legendary

• Hook 'Em 5

Deboer must have had a Herman-esques initial team meeting.
Hope DeBoer served the team watery eggs and burnt bacon. I still can't believe the turtle said that out loud much less would actually do it.
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Teryor said:

247 analyst comments on the Sayin transfer/Loy is ND/National so he's more impartial

image.thumb.png.f67119c9e66b828ddf5c465ba0878af8.png

image.thumb.png.60db356407c878ec64f48f9c731fcded.png

image.thumb.png.18c9aece5317679e4e9c74e2c77a785c.png

So did they promise Mack they would push Sayin out? Mack committed while Sayin was still on the team. If Sayin wanted to stay, why not let them compete this spring even if the staff felt like they preferred Mack? I dunno, I’m just not buying this story. 

28 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

When these schools cry about losing another player because someone else paid 7 figures for them, it is nothing more than a sales pitch to get their fans to poor more into the collectives. Saban openly asked for additional funds, and now Kirby and the rest of college football are following his lead. 

Freudian slip?

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

34 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'd argue he's never been in this kind of situation and is fucking the goat.

At Sioux Falls he was the OC and took over for the late Bob Young when he retired, so he just kept the winning going that Young started.

At Fresno and Washington he took over teams that were both 4-8 the year before so changes were likely warranted - but at least Washington was only a couple of years removed from Petersen (and still had a lot of his recruits). 

This is the first time he's been given the keys to a Ferrari and instead of just driving the car he's dismantling it to see if it can go faster while simultaneously firing and replacing the pit crew. 

It MIGHT work but...yikes. 

It's seems really odd what's going on with Deboer. I get that the situations are different, but he didn't gut UW. He won with primarily with Peterson's guys plus a few key portal adds (Penix, the RB from MSU, Muhammed, etc.). I know a good portion of this is due to forces out of his control, but he seems content watching it burn to the ground. 

Saban doesn't care, he's out.. and if KB flames into a dumpster, it only makes his legend status..even more legendary
If there is any fire to the smoke that Deboer pushed Sayin out and Saban didn't step in and try to stop it, you may be right. Having said that I'd think little Nicky is intelligent enough to know that what he's accomplished over the past 17 years is unlikely to be replicated anywhere...even Bama.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I think it’s clear that the SEC blue bloods will now presume every Texas commitment or transfer is purely about the payday.  

I've thought that about them for 15 years

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

I don't know if this is a joke, or staged, or whatever, but it's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.  

So much to unpack.  Why is the dad wearing a blonde wig?  And a shirt that is clearly a few sizes too small. 

I expect the impending losing (relative to what Alabama fans have come to expect) to only exacerbate the NIL and fundraising issues. Hard to imagine things picking up unless the Charlene and Jim Bobs across the state start tithing more than 10% of social security. Outside of something crazy out of the gate for Deboer, I don't see this getting better before it gets much worse for Alabama. 

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I don't know if this is a joke, or staged, or whatever, but it's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.  

So much to unpack.  Why is the dad wearing a blonde wig?  And a shirt that is clearly a few sizes too small. 

I'm with you wondering if it's real?

Anyone know who it is?

14 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I think it's a joke. It seems to be more of a mockery of parents who get upset when their kid doesn't choose the school they wanted.

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.