2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

47 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

There is a difference in saying there are no 1:1 replacements for Sweat or Murphy and saying we shouldn’t just take a guy because we need depth. I’d rather throw a talented freshman to the fire before doing that. What is the general view of the Arizona guy? 

You must not be The Elk's director of player personnel. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 1/18/2024 at 2:58 PM, MirrOlure said:

So here we are...the modern day equivalent of the Darrell Royal unlimited scholarship era....

While DKR was coach, the SWC had a roster limit rule. There were no unlimited scholarships 

9 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I haven’t returned it yet, but Hollywood Knights is available. 

“Does have a little wang to it, doesn’t it?”

also puberty me watched that movie and made it a point to study Fran Dreschers nude breasts intently. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:18 PM, BachelorTrek said:

Burnt Orange ROLLS!  Lulz.

You gotta love the friendship between Sark and Kiffen. Kiffen is a master troll, especially when it's directed towards aggy. I  can't wait to play Ole Miss to see these two after the game. 

Both are incredible minds, but that friendship is about to go to 12 after they both use aggy as an asshole wipe after shitting on them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - here are the grades for the Arizona and Texas DL last year:

image.thumb.png.c6181e548a03a6eddd7c244906768440.png

Thank you for posting. So he graded better than Broughton who I thought played a lot better this year. And he appears to be an upgrade over Carter. Right now our four man DT rotation is Collins/Savea/Broughton/Mitchell unless we find someone else in the portal this summer. This assumes Mitchell has a good spring and has better conditioning next year. 

19 hours ago, Burt said:

I'm not judging, but more curious which side you're starting from. Maybe not quite as curious as you. Your answer will determine that.

There’s only two systems. There’s the normal way that assigns a ranking from left to right, and JT’s dumb system that numbers people from left to right and THEN assigns them a ranking.
We didn’t need his system and we certainly don’t need a third system. 
FWIW I thought both of the rankings posted were defensible. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Thank you for posting. So he graded better than Broughton who I thought played a lot better this year. And he appears to be an upgrade over Carter. Right now our four man DT rotation is Collins/Savea/Broughton/Mitchell unless we find someone else in the portal this summer. This assumes Mitchell has a good spring and has better conditioning next year. 

Let's not take Savea for granite.

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - here are the grades for the Arizona and Texas DL last year:

image.thumb.png.c6181e548a03a6eddd7c244906768440.png

Thank this is my hit rn. Am I reading this right:  his overall grade was just under Collins’ but his isolated Run defense grade would have been just under Murphy?    Also his “Tack” would be second only to Sweat?   Is that “Tackles-made”

if so, that’s not a bad pick up at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I'm not so sure that that is the rotation. Broughton still has chicken legs and can't hold up at the line and doesn't have a lot of passion for the game. Mitchell hasn't played and couldn't play more than a few snaps from what I understand. Savea still needs to gain strength and prove that he can hold up against large OL. That's a lot of hope for a team that otherwise is stacked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

Thank this is my hit rn. Am I reading this right:  his overall grade was just under Collins’ but his isolated Run defense grade would have been just under Murphy?    Also his “Tack” would be second only to Sweat?   Is that “Tackles-made”

if so, that’s not a bad pick up at all. 

He's a good take, but it looks like the difference between him and Collins is similar to the difference between Murphy and Collins. There's a pretty big gap there. Murphy, Collins, and Sweat all improved 10ish points over the previous season so if he shows similar progress he'd have a really good season. If Collins does the same he's in Sweat/Murphy territory. That's a big if though.

51 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm not so sure that that is the rotation. Broughton still has chicken legs and can't hold up at the line and doesn't have a lot of passion for the game. Mitchell hasn't played and couldn't play more than a few snaps from what I understand. Savea still needs to gain strength and prove that he can hold up against large OL. That's a lot of hope for a team that otherwise is stacked.

Broughton was in the rotation this year. 

42 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Broughton was in the rotation this year. 

Someone had to be, but he was also a big step down from the starters. The fact of the matter is that we have bodies but I don't think we have the guys that allow our other players to maintain their assignments. We don't need LBs mugging gaps or safeties creeping up to the line of scrimmage to prevent teams from gouging us up the middle.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Someone had to be, but he was also a big step down from the starters.

Everyone was a big step down from the starters, the starters were unbelievably great. 

We’re not going to match the production at DT, it was extraordinarily exceptional this past year. But that doesn’t mean Broughton or Savea are bad players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Broughton wasn’t the best against the run but he showed improvement in that area of his game from the ‘22 season. If Broughton continues to get better then he will set a good floor for the D-line run game. Also, I do not agree with your statement that he doesn’t have passion for the game. The intensity and drive was there. We must have been watching two different teams. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Bledsoe is one of the most athletic guys on the team and had the quickest first step of any DT last year.  I would expect him to be much more heavily used next year unless he totally screws around and blows off S&C this offseason or otherwise blows it.

I have hope for Bledsoe and also for Sydir. Bledsoe of course needs to get from 274 to 300 and maintain his athleticism. If one guy can hold up in the middle, we will be good. We have plenty of numbers to take quality snaps, but we don't have an anchor in the interior.

3 minutes ago, Levi said:

Broughton wasn’t the best against the run but he showed improvement in that area of his game from the ‘22 season. If Broughton continues to get better then he will set a good floor for the D-line run game. Also, I do not agree with your statement that he doesn’t have passion for the game. The intensity and drive was there. We must have been watching two different teams. 

Well I am biased against him - when asked if he was excited to play in the RRS, he basically said no - that he didn't care much about it. And then that is how we proceeded to play.

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Collins is pretty good against the run now and plays at 320.  He could be the nose/anchor if necessary.  I think he's more like that than he is an explosive 3 technique disruptor, actually.  Everyone expected him to be a pass rusher when he was recruited and even talked about playing him at DE his first year or two, but he makes a lot more plays fighting off blocks against the run than he does by just causing pure havoc shooting gaps.

If Collins can become the NT, that would make life on the DL a whole lot easier because finding a serviceable NT in the portal is far from guaranteed. Sydir Mitchell would back up Collins at NT and a combination of Savea and Broughton would play DT. 

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.