2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

you are worried about a Michigan team that is 128th in the country in returning production, and are 132/134 in returning offensive production who lost their QB, RB, OL, their top 2 WR, and a bunch of their coaches?

Michigan won games by grinding teams to dust with the conditioning, OL and Blake Corum. those guys are all gone, along with their head coach, S&C coach and DC.

And 2DL coaches

8 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Alex Orji is no Arch Manning 

Looking forward to Ant lighting him up when he runs...which I assume will be often considering he has 1 pass attempt for 5 yards, and 21 rushing attempts for 123 yards in his career at Michigan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas will make a run this year. That initial part of your post is just fucking dumb. The roster is as solid as any in the country. Do you think there’s a flawless roster somewhere in which every spot is manned by veteran 4 and 5 stars? If so, point me to it. If not, get the fuck out with that ignorant take. Tired of seeing it on this board. Ohio State has a shit OL and Will fucking Howard at QB. Georgia has inexperienced offensive skill players and across the secondary. Oregon just lost a ton to the draft on the skill side. Are those not teams that you think could “make a run for a title”?

As to the rest, Toia and Alexander had their home schools match big offers. One of those was fucked by a Texas $9.95er. Are you making an argument that Texas should have gone in with something ridiculous for either of those anyway? The original numbers are ridiculous in the first place.

Texas wanted no part of Nolen, for reasons noted here repeatedly, and money played no part in that evaluation or non-offer. Honestly, from here forward, when someone laments Nolen, they’re getting auto-negged. I don’t give a fuck if he wins national defensive player of the year at Ole Miss, the Texas staff had excellent reasons to avoid the guy. 

“It’s not my money” and then ignorantly touting the false notion that Texas was beaten due to money with the names you reference is a solid surly move. 

No one has an endless spigot. If you want Texas to year in and year out get the top classes and the top guys in the portal, discipline matters. Paying $1M for a good but not great guy at one spot not called QB is the kind of stupidity we should be gleeful about witnessing from our enemy.

Bro, you need to chill out.  Where did I say that other teams don’t have holes in the roster? Where did I say that Texas isn’t going to make a run?   You’re making a lot of assumptions.  I was making the observation that we fell short of getting a difference maker at DT, after months of Bobby and Gerry both hinting that Texas would be prepared and you’ve had a history of posts also implying Texas has a “war chest” as well.  Bobby just said, they came in and asked for more money and Texas didn’t budge and ou may have.  If that is true, how is that not losing a player due to money?  It’s the fucking definition of losing a guy to money.  I get some players are not a fit for Texas or Texas doesn’t think spending the bucks is worth it… whichever way you want to paint it, our additions were very “meh”.  Quit acting like a little bitch and having a temper tantrum on here.  Sorry my post and others rile you up so much.  Maybe take a day off the boards, you sound more pissed about Williams not ending up at Texas than anything I wrote.  Geez, this board has fucking gone downhill with the stupid cheese posts and ctj and select others having their little bitchfest anytime someone makes an observation about our NIL or criticizes it.  

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

getting a difference maker at DT

I don't understand the difference maker concept for Williams...in two years at TCU he only registered 0.5 tackle against us.

I would have loved him for depth, but I'm not sure he starts over Broughton if he'd came to UT.

I don't understand the difference maker concept for Williams...in two years at TCU he only registered 0.5 tackle against us.
I would have loved him for depth, but I'm not sure he starts over Broughton if he'd came to UT.

I certainly hope we weren’t about to pay someone decent money to sit behind Broughton.
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Was Ketch the one who used to do the recruiting roundups at the Copper Barrel back in the day?

If not, who was that?  I used to enjoy those a lot before the Internet days.

Coppertank, yes

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

He would absolutely start over Broughton. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Well this is just silly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

According to Gerry, he thinks he’s a 2nd- 3rd found type of guy.  I’ve seen enough of Broughton to know that he’s nothing more than a rotational guy that still doesn’t have the strength or lower body to hold up on the interior after 4 years in college.  I don’t expect Williams to be a Murphy/Sweat type of difference maker but a lot of coaches went after him hard.   Either way, doesn’t matter because Devon Campbell is going to pancake him come October.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NoName said:

OU went from a guy who thought the offense was the most important and really wasn't that interested in defense to a guy who focuses almost exclusively on defense and doesn't really show that much interest in offense. how could it possibly go wrong?

the 2 QBs who combined to go something like 60-4 at QB made a real difference, in addition to the ACC being down beyond Clemson. the DL is important, but ignoring those 2 dudes when he was on the field at the same time as them is dumb.

the ACC has not had a CFP team since 2020 - when Lawrence left college funny enough. in that same timeframe, B12 has had 3 different teams make it, B10 has had 2 different teams make it, Pac 12 has had 1 team make it, SEC has had 2 teams make it.

Pretty sure the defense only thing will work as long as you have a true difference maker at QB which OU definitely doesn’t have.  That’s too bad. It’s also important for UT to be involved in this type of recruitment if for no other reason to force OU to overpay.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

you are worried about a Michigan team that is 128th in the country in returning production, and are 132/134 in returning offensive production who lost their QB, RB, OL, their top 2 WR, and a bunch of their coaches?

Michigan won games by grinding teams to dust with the conditioning, OL and Blake Corum. those guys are all gone, along with their head coach, S&C coach and DC.

Yes, I stand by what i said in context. That's the only game, aside from Georgia which is just concerning generally, where I'm particularly worried about our interior defensive line being exposed. They won the Joe Moore award two years running and had a terrific OL again last year. I'm not quite ready to say their OL will be weak next year, as they've reloaded each year recently, and Donovan Edwards is a very good back.

Just now, Jimmy Two Times said:

Yes, I stand by what i said in context. That's the only game, aside from Georgia which is just concerning generally, where I'm particularly worried about our interior defensive line being exposed. They won the Joe Moore award two years running and had a terrific OL again last year. I'm not quite ready to say their OL will be weak next year, as they've reloaded each year recently, and Donovan Edwards is a very good back.

We play Oklahoma, Arkansas and A&M away from Austin. Those mother fuckers will all treat those as jihad games and make or break their season on the Texas game. There will be plenty of games to be worried about. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We play Oklahoma, Arkansas and A&M away from Austin. Those mother fuckers will all treat those as jihad games and make or break their season on the Texas game. There will be plenty of games to be worried about. 

At least OU plays some actual competition before our game.  Unlike last year where they could practice all August and September and focus just on us.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

What’s the short version of Ketch tanking the Bear Alexander recruitment?

Ketch ate all the food at the buffet place that Texas had planned on taking Alexander to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

30 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I am not saying those are the only games that I'm worried about, I'm saying those are the games where I think our potential weakness in the interior is an elevated level of concern. 

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

here is their OL from last year and who started:

image.png.63f338a8fd7ea53c5367742d313872ae.png

Barnhart started 38 games at Michigan over 4 years

Henderson was a grad stranfser who started 10 games last year

Keegan started 38 games straight at LG

Nugent started 24 games at Stanford and then 15 games last year at Michigan

Zinter started 42 games, i think he started like 37 in a row

Barnhart started 12 games and 5 last year

you have nothing to worry about on the OL.

they bring back a single guy from last year who started a game - Hinton started 5 last year (4 in a row then got replaced)

their OL is absolutely going to be weak next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

here is their OL from last year and who started:

image.png.63f338a8fd7ea53c5367742d313872ae.png

Barnhart started 38 games at Michigan over 4 years

Henderson was a grad stranfser who started 10 games last year

Keegan started 38 games straight at LG

Nugent started 24 games at Stanford and then 15 games last year at Michigan

Zinter started 42 games, i think he started like 37 in a row

Barnhart started 12 games and 5 last year

you have nothing to worry about on the OL.

they bring back a single guy from last year who started a game - Hinton started 5 last year (4 in a row then got replaced)

their OL is absolutely going to be weak next year.

Orgi isn't that great of a passer....we gotta work him like we did Milroe and we should feast. 

51 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I certainly hope we weren’t about to pay someone decent money to sit behind Broughton.

49 minutes ago, Poester said:

He would absolutely start over Broughton. 

48 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Well this is just silly. 

46 minutes ago, victory88 said:

According to Gerry, he thinks he’s a 2nd- 3rd found type of guy.  I’ve seen enough of Broughton to know that he’s nothing more than a rotational guy that still doesn’t have the strength or lower body to hold up on the interior after 4 years in college.  I don’t expect Williams to be a Murphy/Sweat type of difference maker but a lot of coaches went after him hard.   Either way, doesn’t matter because Devon Campbell is going to pancake him come October.

Maybe, I don't know, since Broughton has been playing behind 3-4 NFL picks since he's been here (Murphy, Sweat, Ojomo, and maybe Collins)... but I used Broughton because I think he will be behind both Savea and Norton.  

Common opponents from last year for Williams, Norton and Savea (obviously both AZ)...

Colorado:

Willams - 1 solo, 2 assists, and 0 TFL

Norton - 2 solo, 1 assist, 0 TFL

Savea - DNP

OU:

Willams - 0 solo, 1 assist, and 0 TFL

Norton - 1 solo, 1 assist, 0 TFL

Savea - 0 solo, 3 assists, 0 TFL

Broughton - 0 solo, 1 assist, and 0 TFL

Savea and Norton also played against an SEC, SEC, SEC team last year at Miss. St.

Norton - 0 solo, 3 assist, 0 TFL

Savea - 0 solo, 4 assists, 0.5 TFL

Both Willaims and Norton put up 32 tackles last year but almost half (15) came in 3 games...Tech, K State, and SMU.  

Anyway, time will tell, but I'm happy with what we have.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Bro, you need to chill out.  Where did I say that other teams don’t have holes in the roster? Where did I say that Texas isn’t going to make a run?   You’re making a lot of assumptions.  I was making the observation that we fell short of getting a difference maker at DT, after months of Bobby and Gerry both hinting that Texas would be prepared and you’ve had a history of posts also implying Texas has a “war chest” as well.  Bobby just said, they came in and asked for more money and Texas didn’t budge and ou may have.  If that is true, how is that not losing a player due to money?  It’s the fucking definition of losing a guy to money.  I get some players are not a fit for Texas or Texas doesn’t think spending the bucks is worth it… whichever way you want to paint it, our additions were very “meh”.  Quit acting like a little bitch and having a temper tantrum on here.  Sorry my post and others rile you up so much.  Maybe take a day off the boards, you sound more pissed about Williams not ending up at Texas than anything I wrote.  Geez, this board has fucking gone downhill with the stupid cheese posts and ctj and select others having their little bitchfest anytime someone makes an observation about our NIL or criticizes it.  

I am calm as a bomb. I don’t need to relax. 

Your attempt at moving the goalposts here is coming up short. 

You stated that Texas was a player or two away from making a run this year. That implies:

1) you don’t think they’ll be making a run

2) there are better suited teams who will be doing so in UT’s stead. 

If you don’t understand how context clues work and want us to believe that that isn’t what you meant, okay, I guess. 

After that, you’d mentioned multiple guys that you claimed Texas got beat on due to money. I responded, debunking the ignorance of that statement. Then you return and posture that you were merely talking about the Williams situation. That’s weak rhetorical shit. 

I don’t have temper tantrums and I don’t respond to NIL commentary that is legitimate. I absolutely have made it a habit of helping people understand where NIL is whether due to their requests or due to a post like yours, which is was misleading and unhelpful. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas got beat on due to money

We just got beat due to money by our biggest rival. Everything in Sark's tenure has been building up to this year. This is our moment. Everyone with 2 brain cells to rub together feels we are an NFL caliber defensive tackle away from a national championship.

I don't want to hear that paying this guy what he wanted would have been out of profile compared to others on our roster. If that is the case, then give everyone a fucking raise. We have one title in the last half century because we didn't want to cheat and pay players. Now it is legal to pay players. Now it's about money. When it came to wallets, we were supposed to be the big swinging dick. That's what I was told and I believed it. It was all horseshit.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

We just got beat due to money by our biggest rival. Everything in Sark's tenure has been building up to this year. This is our moment. Everyone with 2 brain cells to rub together feels we are an NFL caliber defensive tackle away from a national championship.

I don't want to hear that paying this guy what he wanted would have been out of profile compared to others on our roster. If that is the case, then give everyone a fucking raise. We have one title in the last half century because we didn't want to cheat and pay players. Now it is legal to pay players. Now it's about money. When it came to wallets, we were supposed to be the big swinging dick. That's what I was told and I believed it. It was all horseshit.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952qcbx37dcabw0s483k3q

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Maybe the staff isn’t as convinced as you are that we need a single slight upgrade at DT for high 6 figures to win it all. Idk. 

Bobby and Gerry, per their connections, say otherwise.

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

That’s fun. Objective evidence shows we passed on high prices for at least 3 DT transfers. If they felt that they couldn’t win a title without one that probably wouldn’t be the case. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Can you post some of these supposed quotes where Bobby and Gerry say Texas can't compete for a NC without getting Williams?

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If ya'll think the DT situation here is worrisome, we could be LSU right now.  That board is livid about not landing a single portal DT, except some scrub from Wisconsin back during the first window, and losing the top three DT's from last year's terrible defense with nothing waiting in the wings.  Those clowns were convinced all the top portal DT's would be begging to come play for Bo Davis.  They are also coming to the realization that DT recruiting for this current class isn't going to well.

Patiently waiting for Bo to show his ass. LSU’s  “record breaking” class doesn’t have a single DT commit yet. 

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Can you post some of these supposed quotes where Bobby and Gerry say Texas can't compete for a NC without getting Williams?

I’ve never heard them speak in terms of not being in contention, that seems to be a given with this roster. What I do remember is the idea that a dominant over the ball defender could be the difference between 1-2 losses or 3-4. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I am calm as a bomb. I don’t need to relax. 

Your attempt at moving the goalposts here is coming up short. 

You stated that Texas was a player or two away from making a run this year. That implies:

1) you don’t think they’ll be making a run

2) there are better suited teams who will be doing so in UT’s stead. 

If you don’t understand how context clues work and want us to believe that that isn’t what you meant, okay, I guess. 

After that, you’d mentioned multiple guys that you claimed Texas got beat on due to money. I responded, debunking the ignorance of that statement. Then you return and posture that you were merely talking about the Williams situation. That’s weak rhetorical shit. 

I don’t have temper tantrums and I don’t respond to NIL commentary that is legitimate. I absolutely have made it a habit of helping people understand where NIL is whether due to their requests or due to a post like yours, which is was misleading and unhelpful. 

No one is moving goalposts and I didn’t imply anything other than the fact that we have a clear need at DT and that we walked away with 2 guys that look like depth players and struck out on 3 other guys that we seriously pursued in Alexander, Toila, and Williams.  Nothing wrong with what I said.  But yeah, you didn’t respond with your usual passive aggressive bullshit like you always do.   This is also an open forum to discuss Longhorn recruiting and news.  Feel free to chime in but I don't see any posters here asking you to educate us or help us understand NiL so stop policing this board as if we’re here for your hot takes.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Poester said:

I’ve never heard them speak in terms of not being in contention, that seems to be a given with this roster. What I do remember is the idea that a dominant over the ball defender could be the difference between 1-2 losses or 3-4. 

1. I don't think Williams is that talented.  Talented, yes.  Win 1 or 2 games more with him talented?  I doubt it at UT, but not ou.

2. I agree with Rod Babers...you know, the one among them that has actually played high-level football....DB is a much greater need.  I could see Jayvion Cole being a difference maker.  

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Or, maybe, Texas wasn’t willing to overpay for one player and the impact the overpayment would have on the locker room, regardless of whether that player was at a position of need. Being principled in roster building and NIL is more important in the long term.

Also, while we are in a great position to make a run this year, we are building a foundation for a long-term run. Not just one year. This shit is for the next ten years. Focusness, bitches.

I thought Bill in Sinton had expired.

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

No one is moving goalposts and I didn’t imply anything other than the fact that we have a clear need at DT and that we walked away with 2 guys that look like depth players and struck out on 3 other guys that we seriously pursued in Alexander, Toila, and Williams.  Nothing wrong with what I said.  But yeah, you didn’t respond with your usual passive aggressive bullshit like you always do.   This is also an open forum to discuss Longhorn recruiting and news.  Feel free to chime in but I don't see any posters here asking you to educate us or help us understand NiL so stop policing this board as if we’re here for your hot takes.  

Is it striking out if you refused to match?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Texas wasn’t willing to overpay for one player and the impact the overpayment would have on the locker room 

Also, while we are in a great position to make a run this year, we are building a foundation for a long-term run. Not just one year. 

Kelvin Banks is in his last year. Same for QE. Veteran o-line and an experienced QB from a team that was 13 yards from the national title game. A reasonable argument can be made that these circumstances won't be seen again for many years. There may be nothing like this season again while Sark is coach. If there was ever a time to go all-in, it is likely now. 

This isn't just about the TCU guy. If anyone's NIL deal will upset the locker room, then just pay everyone more. This is not the time for belt-tightening. I would hope that someone could convince our major donors that this year is special and this is the time to write checks if you want a title. 

Not giving someone more than their perceived worth =\= belt tightening. Texas is spending a fuck ton of money otherwise we wouldn’t be in this  “once in a decade” circumstance to begin with.

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Kelvin Banks is in his last year. Same for QE. Veteran o-line and an experienced QB from a team that was 13 yards from the national title game. A reasonable argument can be made that these circumstances won't be seen again for many years. There may be nothing like this season again while Sark is coach. If there was ever a time to go all-in, it is likely now. 

This isn't just about the TCU guy. If anyone's NIL deal will upset the locker room, then just pay everyone more. This is not the time for belt-tightening. I would hope that someone could convince our major donors that this year is special and this is the time to write checks if you want a title. 

You can go years without winning a national title even when you're pretty good.  Just ask Jim Harbaugh. To insist that we have limitless resources and should blow the top off for any given year is unrealistic. Let's focus on being persistently good for a while.

It's a sign of how successful the roster building has been that we're free to obsess about depth at a couple of spots. How many times over the last 14 years have we obviously lacked quality starters at multiple positions? I understand that football boards are made to whine about everything, but try and be happy that the glass is 95% full. 

• Hook 'Em 8

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

So laughably wrong and clueless. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

You aren’t paying attention if you think this year is going to be a last chance or special compared to those in the future. We are going to have like 15 guys get drafted and be better in 25 than 24. If you don’t do stupid shit you will be in the playoffs like 3/4 years on this trajectory 

• Hook 'Em 7

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk