Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Yeah, not too shabby this morning.  Walked outside at 5:30a before everybody woke up and cleaned up some stuff.  Just enjoyed breathing and meditating.  

Then 6:30a rolls around, kids wake up.  Was gonna take everybody on a quick walk through the 'hood but Open up the back three doors and there's the smell of a skunk, oldest has a fever (tested negative for Covid, thank the Lord), and we have to watch the youngest for pink eye.  Thanks a lot Obama!  It's my fault, I was secretly hoping we weren't feeling well so we didn't have to meet my wife's annoying old friend from grad school, before the Rice game.  She's been bitching all week to my wife about "your husband better have a great A/C plan for pre-game because I'm not hanging at an outside tailgate in 100 degree weather with whiny kids."  

Meanwhile:

1.  I get to bitch about the heat, but only anonymously and humorously on the interwebs.  You don't talk like that in real life to people who have no control over the weather.

2.  She's about 2 bills.  And lives in the Rio Grande Valley.  Being uncomfortable in the heat shouldn't be a new fucking phenomenon to her.  

3.  Stay hydrated and be well everybody.  We're gonna get through this.  I don't know how.  But I'm not ready to go out yet. 

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Then 6:30a rolls around, kids wake up.  Was gonna take everybody on a quick walk through the 'hood but Open up the back three doors and there's the smell of a skunk, oldest has a fever (tested negative for Covid, thank the Lord), and we have to watch the youngest for pink eye.  Thanks a lot Obama!  It's my fault, I was secretly hoping we weren't feeling well so we didn't have to meet my wife's annoying old friend from grad school, before the Rice game.  She's been bitching all week to my wife about "your husband better have a great A/C plan for pre-game because I'm not hanging at an outside tailgate in 100 degree weather with whiny kids."  

You really are living the dream...

• Haha 1

Aside from that maybe that one Wednesday 2 weeks ago, this was the nicest morning of the last 3 months. Felt great, and that northern air just has a different smell to it. Smelled like Fall for a few fleeting hours.

Gave myself a small treat and popped into the coffee shop next to my gym and grabbed a proper coffee to drink on my back porch when I got home. Dogs just laid on the ground next to me and looked pleased as shit. It was a good morning.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Just curious.  What temp does Austin need to get down to for you guys to stop whining about the heat?

The 80s.  Once we get to a point where our highs are consistently in the 80s or below, ZERO bitching.  Truly, even the low 90s are fine after a summer like this.

But no worries.  I'm confident that we'll have temps in the 90s until December.  At which point the fucking climate cycle, completely fucking broken, will drop a 5 degree "polar vortex spinoff" on our asses for a week, crashing the grid and killing hundreds again.  Because that's how this timeline works now.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Just curious.  What temp does Austin need to get down to for you guys to stop whining about the heat?

Probably when I quit losiong tens of thousands of dollars worth of sod and oak trees.  Humans can take solace inside and have a nearly unlimited supply of water.  Apparently the ~70 trees on my property don't work the same way.  I tried to move 'em inside but you got your damn unions.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The 80s.  Once we get to a point where our highs are consistently in the 80s or below, ZERO bitching.  Truly, even the low 90s are fine after a summer like this.

But no worries.  I'm confident that we'll have temps in the 90s until December.  At which point the fucking climate cycle, completely fucking broken, will drop a 5 degree "polar vortex spinoff" on our asses for a week, crashing the grid and killing hundreds again.  Because that's how this timeline works now.

My English friend who lives in the Cotswolds bitches about his suffering when the local temperatures reach 80.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Parliament said:

I'm about to serve up that middle finger.

So this morning I get up, step outside and think... man, I'm going to go on a long walk before work.  Then my son needs a ride to band practice... so that kills some of the time while I wait and then take him.  On the way, he realized he left his water bottle at home.  Went home, got the bottle, went back, went home.  No time for a walk.  Time for work.

FML

Few may get lucky with the rain out west today. There's a weak outflow boundary propagating eastward that is kicking up some convection. Has until sundown to do something.

Hot and dry until mid-weekend when "troughiness" returns with afternoon thunderstorm chances. I'll take this over last month I guess.

El Nino needs to hurry the fuck up.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

"Think Cooler"  Wasn't that a scene from "Stand & Deliver"?  I'd ike to shiv that poster and have his body decomposing in my locker.......

Correct...Edward James Olmos, "Think Coooooooool"

Or maybe we need to go Firefox and "Think Russian". Yea most of it sucks, but it ain't a blastfurnace there.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, Storm the Field said:

Not saying this is gonna happen, but if we continue on a pace of being consistently 8-9 degrees above average, we won't be done with highs in the 90's until around 10/18.

Isn't that what happened in 2019?  We went from high 90's and 100's to 45 in a day.  I don't remember the exact date, but it was during the MLB playoffs.

Fml. Im up at 4 to meet the Houston watering restrictions. Part of the yard doesn’t have a sprinkler system.

plot twist: I went back out at 5 to turn off the sprinkler and some do-gooder had taken it upon themselves to turn off my sprinkler basically negating my alarm going off at 4.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

51 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Flew back into Seattle after 5 days in Houston.  Never enjoyed rain so much

PXL_20230830_040720654.jpg

The location of that photo is weird for a flight from Houston to Seattle. Did ya miss the exit for SeaTac?

22 hours ago, Orange&White said:

It doesn't matter because as soon as it drops below that temperature, the whining about the cold starts.

What would be the icing to a magically shitty year is to have another Icepocalypse where I again have to melt snow to take a shit. Then this would go down as the worst weather year ever, until it happens again in the not too distant future.

• Rage+1 2

29 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

What would be the icing to a magically shitty year is to have another Icepocalypse where I again have to melt snow to take a shit. Then this would go down as the worst weather year ever, until it happens again in the not too distant future.

We've been filling empty jugs with water for the last few years. Damn near threw my back out hauling buckets of meltwater to the bathtub last time. 

37 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

That whole little stretch really helped to cap off the pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

It is fall tomorrow, only going to be 101*  

Hunting season does start tomorrow, technically.  But do what I advised upthread.  Don't even bother with the risk of drinking and firearms...just hang tight, drink beer, and wait for the birds to burst into flames.  

• Haha 1