Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

43 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Austin force field in full effect.

fuck-ned.gif

Absolutely infuriating.  Out by Lake Travis, yellow on the radar, wind starts whipping our withering trees around, and about 6 drops of rain.  Then ...

keyser-s%C3%B6ze-the-usual-suspects.gif

Just getting toyed with at this point.

Edited by Gap03

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So hottest day in houston but not really. The heat index is only 115. That’s just standard fare around here. Seems like 120 multiple times this summer on the heat index. 

If seemed dry for the 90 seconds I was outside. 

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If I’m reading this right and I’d like to think I am, does that 89.6 include nighttime temps?  Like 10 pm to 5 an?

It will either be the daily high and low averaged together or the hourly temperature averaged throughout the entire summer. Either way will include night time, especially because it's 90 degrees by 9:00 a.m. and doesn't go below that until after midnight. If it was daytime only temps, it would be much higher.

8 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Technically, summer is June 21 to Sept 23, aka solstice to equinox.
June 1 to Aug 31 is summer-ish, but it's not summer.

As I recall, Sept 2011 sucked ... seemed like the heat would just not quit.

He's referring to aggy summer. 

You should know by now they make everything up in defiance of logic and reason. 

Since June 21st I would assume we are blowing every other year out of the water. 

Edited by ztejas

58 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So even the weathermen agree that we aren't getting hotter? We're just tying records, not beating them.

Obvious slanted propaganda.  It's like over in KSA where there is a national law that all outdoor activities must cease if the temperature hits 50C.  But even though thermometers are show 55C the official weather service temp never exceeds 49.9C.

From mid-June onward, Houston has recorded some of the very hottest temperatures on record, with July ranking as the city second warmest July (behind only July 2022), and this August on pace to be the hottest August in 150 years of records. For example this month, on Thursday and again on Sunday, Houston matched its hottest temperature of all time, 109 degrees. It has been non-stop brutal.

I am not going to sit here and predict that we’re done with 100-degree days. But I do feel reasonably confident that we’re done with the absolutely scorching days of 105-degree plus temperatures that we’ve experienced of late. Houston will now return to a somewhat more “normal” summer in terms of temperatures. Still quite hot, but probably not extremely hot.

Next week should bring more of the same weather, with highs most likely in the upper 90s (cannot rule out some 100 degree days) and rain chances on the order of 20 to 30 percent as the sea breeze kicks up. The bottom line, I think, is that extreme summer is going away for a while, to be replaced by a-bit-hotter-than-normal summer. I think that’s OK after what we’ve been through?

From SCW today. I was talking about this same thing with some friends yesterday, funnily enough during the absolute hottest part of the day before the front started rolling through overnight. The blastfurnace still has plenty of fuel left, but it seems like after 2 straight months, we may have at long last finally escaped from the extreme, unprecedented range and are back into something closer to "upper 10th percentile of a regular summer." Like, these 100/78 days ahead would usually be some of our hottest, late July/early August days in a normal summer. 

Edited by Storm the Field

12 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

From SCW today. I was talking about this same thing with some friends yesterday, funnily enough during the absolute hottest part of the day before the front started rolling through overnight. The blastfurnace still has plenty of fuel left, but it seems like after 2 straight months, we may have at long last finally escaped from the extreme, unprecedented range and are back into something closer to "upper 10th percentile of a regular summer." Like, these 100/78 days ahead would usually be some of our hottest, late July/early August days in a normal summer. 

So, this summer is like the technique of roasting a chicken where you start out at 475 degrees to crisp the skin, then lower it to 375-400 for the remaining cook time.

Except someone left us in the oven at 475 for WAY too long, so knocking the temp back slightly now don't make a shit.

burnedchicken2.jpg

I know this is a short reprieve, but the 12 hours of cooler temps has provided a bit of rejuvenation.  I'm not sure I got enough in the tank to push through the end of September, but I'm good for this week at least.

Just rode the bike up to the store for the first time in a couple of months and didn't even break a sweat.  No fucking way I would have even thought about that since the Blastfurnace kicked into high gear back in June.

• Hook 'Em 1

The affect on mood is so real. It's not depression like SAD, but it's just a continually irritability. Just realized I might need to turn off my weather station because it literally puts me on edge every damn day.