Miami Regional Thread

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

so correct me if wrong... but as the #2 winning game 1,vs the #1 winning game 1, arent we the default home team in that scenario?.... and if so, wouldnt that be avail on LHN?

or is this the scenario where we have to flip a coin to win home field?

They changed that rule recently, I believe. Higher seed is always the home team now.

Solid performance from our crew.  We made a lot of great plays.  Both of the catches from EK and Dylan were things of beauty.  Daly contributes again.  Lucas just mowed 'em down.  Relief pitching did their job.  JOD had his little miscue, but it really didn't affect anything.  Just a good complete game.  Let's get on 'em early this evening and keep 'em down.

If ya' missed it, the Troy Boston College game was a good one.  Just watch the last 3 innings.

• Hook 'Em 1

D1B:

Miami, Texas earn wins to set up Saturday night clash of historical powers
POSTSEASON Walter Villa - June 3, 2023

BV Note: Gonna spoiler the opening, because you seriously might not want to read it:

Spoiler

You sure?  I tried to warn you...

Spoiler

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — Thirty-two years after Randall “Thrill” Hill famously turned a 48-yard Cotton Bowl touchdown catch into something more like a 108-yarder as he sprinted endlessly through the end-zone tunnel, it’s Miami and Texas again, this time in baseball.

Two-plus months since the Hurricanes upset the Longhorns to reach the men’s basketball Final Four, it’s Miami and Texas again, hardball edition.

One night after top-seeded Miami and second-seeded Texas advanced on the opening day of the Coral Gables regional, it’s a matchup of two of the most storied programs in college baseball history.

Texas has qualified for the College World Series 38 times – more than any other school. Miami is second with 25 trips to Omaha.

The Longhorns are tied for second with six national titles. Miami is tied for fifth with four rings.

“They are a first-class program that has always been very successful,” Miami coach Gino DiMare said when asked about his team’s winner’s bracket-game against Texas on Saturday night.

“It should be a lot of fun. It should be great for the fans. It should be great for college baseball.”

On Friday, Texas (39-20) advanced by rallying to defeat third-seeded Louisiana, 4-2.

Miami (41-19) stomped on fourth-seeded Maine, 9-1.

For Texas, the play of its game – in terms of importance – was center fielder Eric Kennedy racing back to rob a would-be three-run homer from John Taylor to end the fourth inning.

Kennedy said the catch was made possible because he had put in motion an adjustment following the last game of the regular season against West Virginia.

“I’ve started playing a step or two deeper,” he said. “(On Friday), off the bat, I didn’t think it was gone. But I just kept going back, and I noticed I was right against the wall.

“It wasn’t too hard. I just jumped up. It was a routine jump-up.”

Kennedy wasn’t wrong. That play was more significant than spectacular.

But Longhorns right fielder Dylan Campbell made a play that was a bit of both.

It came in the sixth inning, which is when Louisiana took a 1-0 lead. Campbell dove to his left to take a likely double or triple away from Carson Roccaforte.

That play saved at least one run.

“It was hit pretty hard,” Campbell said in an understatement that drew snickers from his teammates on the post-game media podium.

“I got a late read. I hauled ass, but I didn’t think I could get there standing up, so I had to lay out.”

After showing off their speed and athleticism in that top of the sixth, Texas displayed power to start off the bottom of the frame as nine-hole hitter Mitchell Daly slugged a solo homer. Porter Brown then capped the rally with an RBI single for a 2-1 Texas lead.

Campbell, who went 2-for-4, added a two-run single in the seventh to put the Longhorns up 4-1.

Louisiana got one run back with Roccaforte’s solo homer in the eighth, but it wasn’t enough as the Longhorns won while also preserving their bullpen.

Ace Lucas Gordon (7-1, 2.45) earned the win, striking out eight while walking none. He allowed five hits and one run in seven innings.

“The main thing was (establishing) the inside part of the plate early,” Gordon said. “We noticed their guys were selling out for the fastball and the outside changeup. They were giving up the inside part of the plate. Showing I could throw inside was key.”

Zane Morehouse mopped up, allowing just one run in two innings.

“If you look at Zane, he’s had ups and downs this year,” Texas coach David Pierce said. “For him to compete like he did (on Friday) was special.”

While the Longhorns had to play a tight all-around game to get past the Cajuns, the Hurricanes never trailed and took the lead just two batters into their lineup as Edgardo Villegas clubbed a two-run homer.

Miami then put the game away with a five-run second inning, getting an RBI double from CJ Kayfus, a run-scoring single by Villegas, and Yohandy “Yo-Yo” Morales’ three-run bomb.

Miami used its ace starter, Gage Ziehl (8-4, 4.04), and he delivered, striking out seven and allowing four hits, no walks, one run and none earned.

When hosting regionals in prior years, Miami has usually opted to hold its ace starter for the second game, against a higher seed.

But Gino DiMare, who has spent most of his life in Miami as a Hurricanes player, assistant and now head coach, opted to go to his ace right away.

“Our mindset was to save our bullpen,” DiMare said. “That’s why we started Gage. He gave us the best chance to give us a deep game (by the starter). “

The best news for Miami is that they did not have to use star closer Andrew Walters, whose 25 career saves ranks second among all active D1 pitchers. Walters’ career numbers of 15.1 strikeout per nine innings and his 1.36 ERA lead the nation among active D1 pitchers.

For Saturday’s game against Texas, DiMare said he will start right-hander Karson Ligon (3-1, 4.25), who will be on an unspecified pitch count since he is not yet fully stretched out following an injury absence.

Texas will start talented right-hander Lebarron Johnson Jr. (7-3, 2.82) in a matchup that favors the Longhorns numerically. Johnson, by the way, is a native Floridian.

But other numbers favor the Canes. Namely, they are 29-5 at home this year, outscoring opponents 312-144.

Texas, meanwhile, is 11-12 away from home this season.

In addition, Miami is 8-1 this year when Ligon starts, and that includes a victory over top-ranked Wake Forest.

Then there are the mighty Canes hitters, including Zach Levenson, who jacked a two-run homer.

He is one of six Canes hitters with at least 11 homers this season, a list that also includes Dominic Pitelli, Carlos Perez, CJ Kayfus, Blake Cyr and Morales, who leads the team with 17 dingers.

Villegas and Morales each finished with a pair of hits and three RBIs on Friday. But the guy who usually gets the headlines is Morales, who this week has been projected by MLB.com as the New York Mets’ first-round pick at selection No. 32.

On Friday, Morales passed Ryan Braun for fifth place in Miami’s career homer list with 46. Morales also passed Yonder Alonso on the career hit list with 231. Morales is five hits shy of Miami’s top 10.

“The hype is real,” Maine coach Nick Derba said when asked about Morales. “That kid is good, man.

“What could we do against him? Keep him in the ballpark and maybe put our guys on top of the wall.”

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Zane did look confident in the 8th, I couldn’t watch the 9th. The homer and walk weren’t great but he was throwing hard.

gotta get ahead and stay ahead. I definitely don’t want to play from behind but if we do we have to think of this as a 6 inning (maybe 7 inning) game. 

41 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

The game is on ESPNU tonight.

Meanwhile, NASCAR practice laps showing on FS1. We talking 'bout practice. Is college baseball so non-consequential that the damn tournament can't get coverage? (I guess I know the answer to this.)

Yesterday, I ended up listening on the radio. 

7 minutes ago, squib said:

Meanwhile, NASCAR practice laps showing on FS1. We talking 'bout practice. Is college baseball so non-consequential that the damn tournament can't get coverage? (I guess I know the answer to this.)

Yesterday, I ended up listening on the radio. 

I'd ask if you knew that for $10 you can see every game of the postseason?   I mean do you even Internet bro?

3 minutes ago, petscii said:

I'd ask if you knew that for $10 you can see every game of the postseason?   I mean do you even Internet bro?

Yes, I know. Just surprised that the audience for watching cars practice going in circles gets mainstream coverage while you have to pay to watch college baseball on your phone. I'll pay the $10 today

3 minutes ago, petscii said:

Any other discounts on the ESPN+ annual plan that anyone is aware of?

last year I signed up for the annual plan when it was $70 and my credit card had an offer to knock off another $15.

trying to find something to bring it down a bit more than the $100 annual price 

2 minutes ago, squib said:

Yes, I know. Just surprised that the audience for watching cars practice going in circles gets mainstream coverage while you have to pay to watch college baseball on your phone. I'll pay the $10 today

I can almost undoubtedly assure you that Fox wishes watching cars practice going in circles did not get mainstream coverage

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

last year I signed up for the annual plan when it was $70 and my credit card had an offer to knock off another $15.

I only keep it during regionals/super regionals.   So I'm the wrong person to ask.    :)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

It's like $20 for ad free Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+. So if you're already paying for one of those other ones you could save some money that way. 

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I can almost undoubtedly assure you that Fox wishes watching cars practice going in circles did not get mainstream coverage

I assume it's to catch footage of tires hitting spectators.  Same reason they always film Marine One/Air Force One taking off and landing. 

Edited by petscii

31 minutes ago, squib said:

Why do you have to watch it on your phone? 

• Haha 1

5pm CT on ESPN+ and possibly ESPNU

Screenshot_20230603-110057_kindlephoto-4345218.thumb.png.09c6edb9681b781ffcaa2469df08c133.png

Miami Hurricanes vs Texas Longhorns June 3 NCAA Baseball Regionals Preview, Game Time, Matchup Statistics

The Regionals of the NCAA Tournament is where the Miami Hurricanes and the Texas Longhorns will collide for a 6:00 PM ET tilt on Saturday, June 3, airing on ESPN+.

The Hurricanes head into this contest after beating Maine yesterday by a 9-1 score. Edgardo Villegas was 2-for-3 with a home run and three RBI in that victory.

The Longhorns hit the field after winning 4-2 over Louisiana yesterday. Mitchell Daly went 1-for-2 with a home run and an RBI in the victory.

Miami (FL) Team Stats

Miami (FL) is averaging 7.0 runs per game (9.0 in playoffs). Opposing teams are scoring 4.5 runs per game when squaring off against Texas, including 2.0 runs per contest in the postseason.

When tallying six-plus runs, the Hurricanes are 24-1. They sport an 8-3 record in one-run games.

Texas Team Stats

Texas is tallying 6.6 runs per game at the plate, including 4.0 runs per game in the postseason. Miami (FL) is surrendering 5.5 runs per game (1.0 in playoffs).

The Longhorns hold a 24-3 record when tallying six-plus runs. In games decided by one run, they are 5-8.

Miami (FL) Players to Watch

In the NCAA Tournament, Miami (FL)'s Villegas is batting .667, with a .750 on-base percentage and 1.667 slugging percentage. He is 2-for-3 with a home run and three RBI.

Yohandy Morales is batting .500 in the postseason, with a .500 on-base percentage and 1.250 slugging percentage. He is 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI.

Zach Levenson is batting .333 in the postseason for the Hurricanes after going 1-for-3 with a home run and two RBI.

CJ Kayfus is 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI in the NCAA Tournament. He is hitting .500, with a .600 on-base percentage and .750 slugging percentage.

Texas Players to Watch

Daly has been swinging a hot bat for Texas in the NCAA Tournament, producing a .500 batting average and going 1-for-2 with a home run and an RBI over one game.

Texas' Daly has been producing big-time numbers at the plate in the NCAA Tournament, hitting to the tune of .500/.667/2.000 while going 1-for-2 with a home run and an RBI.

As a pivotal piece of Texas' offense so far this postseason, Dylan Campbell has been hitting .500 while going 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI in one game.

Jared Thomas has played one game for the Longhorns in the NCAA Tournament, and he has batted .667/.750/.667 (2-for-3).

In one postseason game for Texas, Garret Guillemette has produced a .333/.500/.333 slash line while going 1-for-3.

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Miami (FL) Players to Watch

In the NCAA Tournament, Miami (FL)'s Villegas is batting .667, with a .750 on-base percentage and 1.667 slugging percentage. He is 2-for-3 with a home run and three RBI.

Yohandy Morales is batting .500 in the postseason, with a .500 on-base percentage and 1.250 slugging percentage. He is 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI.

Zach Levenson is batting .333 in the postseason for the Hurricanes after going 1-for-3 with a home run and two RBI.

CJ Kayfus is 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI in the NCAA Tournament. He is hitting .500, with a .600 on-base percentage and .750 slugging percentage.

Texas Players to Watch

Daly has been swinging a hot bat for Texas in the NCAA Tournament, producing a .500 batting average and going 1-for-2 with a home run and an RBI over one game.

Texas' Daly has been producing big-time numbers at the plate in the NCAA Tournament, hitting to the tune of .500/.667/2.000 while going 1-for-2 with a home run and an RBI.

As a pivotal piece of Texas' offense so far this postseason, Dylan Campbell has been hitting .500 while going 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI in one game.

Jared Thomas has played one game for the Longhorns in the NCAA Tournament, and he has batted .667/.750/.667 (2-for-3).

In one postseason game for Texas, Garret Guillemette has produced a .333/.500/.333 slash line while going 1-for-3.

These slash lines are fucking hysterical. They've all played one game. Is ESPN having chat GPT do these write ups?

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lulz.

Sample sizes are hard!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The surly Astros thread thinks that's a meaninglessly small sample

Edited by WBT
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bear19 said:

So was I till the very last pitch.

I was out of town that evening and listened to it driving back home around 10pm. My then wife was asleep in the passenger seat and PISSED when she woke up and saw we were at the light at Manor and 35.

I managed to get in a few innings while she tried to continue to sleep in the truck but that didn’t last long and decided I better take her home before she decided to divorce me (that wouldn’t happen for a few more years).  Drove her home in north Austin around the 15th or 16th and turned right back around back to the Disch to see the final ~5 innings or so.

/csb

• Drool 1

32 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I was out of town that evening and listened to it driving back home around 10pm. My then wife was asleep in the passenger seat and PISSED when she woke up and saw we were at the light at Manor and 35.

I managed to get in a few innings while she tried to continue to sleep in the truck but that didn’t last long and decided I better take her home before she decided to divorce me (that wouldn’t happen for a few more years).  Drove her home in north Austin around the 15th or 16th and turned right back around back to the Disch to see the final ~5 innings or so.

/csb

Only related to the ex being pissed part - better to be rid of that kinda mojo. Ain’t nobody got time for pissy when history is happening. We had some mishaps and ended up in a best western dog shit motel Thursday night instead of in our RV and my now wife was happy to have AC, hot water and a bed. Just rolling with it all. Nobody should have to endure pissy angry bullshit.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1