2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Dammit.  I don't know I wrote it down on my calendar in Provo.  Ah well, probably couldn't afford to take the whole family that time of year anyway.  I see we're playing in Orlando proper with UCF.  But again, at a peak time of year for the parks.  And I fucking hate Orlando, so there's that.  Fuck it, I guess it's just the Houston tournament with LSU, et. al.  And then on to Omaha.  I mean, we are fucking Texas.  

I'm trying to decide if I want to come down for Washington.  Orlando in May seems....

Where you at?  I think the Washington series will be fun as hell.  I acknowledge, with all due respect, that it's a pretty middle-of-the-road, at best, Pac-12 program in baseball.  But I like that we're doing it...mainly for the return trip.  Not sure what the recruiting edge is given our usual west coast excursions.  But I figure best case---we sweep them---and Nicole tells them they can watch the games from a boat on Town Lake south of Rainey Street like their own campus---and well...shit just works itself out naturally.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Where you at?  I think the Washington series will be fun as hell.  I acknowledge, with all due respect, that it's a pretty middle-of-the-road, at best, Pac-12 program in baseball.  But I like that we're doing it...mainly for the return trip.  Not sure what the recruiting edge is given our usual west coast excursions.  But I figure best case---we sweep them---and Nicole tells them they can watch the games from a boat on Town Lake south of Rainey Street like their own campus---and well...shit just works itself out naturally.  

I'm in Seattle and the new skipper of the Huskies had them firing pretty well in his first season.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, petscii said:

I think trading Lubbock for Starksville is an upgrade*.  At least for baseball history and stadiums...

The only real downside is those opponents we played in conference are now available to play out of conference... 

*i've never been to either, but in the future I will go to starksvile.  In my obituary, the final line will state "He never went to lubbock texas."

Lubbock is a shithole.

You aren't missing a thing town wise. Had to spend a weekend, in the middle of February no less, there for work about 10 yrs ago. The city tree is a telephone pole. There must be three, with the accompanying 10 wires for every house there.

The only thing good about Lubbock is that all the pretty girls (below the 10%, now 6 ?% line) that used to go to UT, are now going there.  The  good looking, beautiful blonde hair, blue eyed girls were everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, Athens/Atlanta (for flight purposes) is actually a trip I'm looking forward to.  Not that most Big XII towns are any fun, they were just closer/cheaper to get to.  I'm not gonna fork out that kinda cash in flights and rental cars 'n shit to hit up Columbia, SC or Auburn.  Plus there's nothing to fucking do there except baseball.  If I'm gonna go, I gotta justify with at least some work excuse or showing the girls some cool stuff.  Nothing down there but statues and monuments to treasonous losers of the SEC, plus the Confederacy stuff.  

So once again, I repeat myself.  I hope the newly modified TV deal when we join with OU, has robust baseball programming at a decent price.  Between that, basketball, and volleyball---I'll be more than content.  Football obviously will take care of itself in terms of coverage.  

On 11/10/2023 at 5:13 PM, YGIFS said:

Dammit.  I don't know I wrote it down on my calendar in Provo.  Ah well, probably couldn't afford to take the whole family that time of year anyway.  I see we're playing in Orlando proper with UCF.  But again, at a peak time of year for the parks.  And I fucking hate Orlando, so there's that.  Fuck it, I guess it's just the Houston tournament with LSU, et. al.  And then on to Omaha.  I mean, we are fucking Texas.  

sure you weren't thinking Provo Spain?

Fletch Chevy Chase GIF - Fletch Chevy Chase - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

LSU going all in on Baseball

Posted on 11/15/23 at 9:07 am
up vote6down vote35
bkm1.png
It looks like LSU is saying f it in football and basketball.  

The 24 class has 13 top 100 players with a Avg player rank of 10.95. I can't find another class since they have been keeping up with it that is close to this.  

Poor Texas only has 5 with the avg player being 7.52. 

25 class already has 11 top 100 commits with the avg player being 11.75.  

LSU is all in on buying championships on the Bayou.  

Tenn is second, spending big money, but its not close to what LSU is doing.  

LSU fans are going to enjoy the revival of LSU baseball dominance.  

Hats off for going all in!  

Edit: Seems some tigers are melting over this. Its a tip of the cap, it is impressive the classes and portal players you are getting.  

PLEASE DON'T ACT LIKE JIMBO AND THE AGGIES WHEN THEY COLLECTED THAT GREAT CLASS IN FOOTBALL.

Below is the Perfect Game rankings referred to in the above post.     Click on link for entire list.    Note this does not include portal.

With the addition of Yeskie as pitching coach,  LSU has a very strong coaching/recruiting staff.   Combine with Marucci and NIL money... but you have to play the game on the diamond.

HS commits                      Top 100                 Points                   Avg Player

Screenshot2023-11-15161337.thumb.png.9ade0d4deef61a6267b0b6576624d35b.png

College Recruit Rankings Class of 2024 | Perfect Game USA

Texas - Perfect Game Baseball Player College Commitments

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

LSU going all in on Baseball

Posted on 11/15/23 at 9:07 am
up vote6down vote35
bkm1.png
It looks like LSU is saying f it in football and basketball.  

The 24 class has 13 top 100 players with a Avg player rank of 10.95. I can't find another class since they have been keeping up with it that is close to this.  

Poor Texas only has 5 with the avg player being 7.52. 

25 class already has 11 top 100 commits with the avg player being 11.75.  

LSU is all in on buying championships on the Bayou.  

Tenn is second, spending big money, but its not close to what LSU is doing.  

LSU fans are going to enjoy the revival of LSU baseball dominance.  

Hats off for going all in!  

Edit: Seems some tigers are melting over this. Its a tip of the cap, it is impressive the classes and portal players you are getting.  

PLEASE DON'T ACT LIKE JIMBO AND THE AGGIES WHEN THEY COLLECTED THAT GREAT CLASS IN FOOTBALL.

Dumb. Lsu fan calls Omaha their “north campus” although Texas has appeared the most at 39 times. Also, could you imagine if Texas or any other blue blood baseball program had the owner of a baseball company be an alumnus? If Lsu doesn’t have the number 1 class for extended part of the future, there’s a problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

247 reporting that Will Rigney (RHP from Baylor) medically retired from baseball. Dude has been hurt his whole career but seemed to somewhat turn a corner last year. Bummer to see. 

Sucks, but it's unsurprising.  Dude had an odd wind up and delivery, from what I remember.  Does this affect the weekend starter projection?

2 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Sucks, but it's unsurprising.  Dude had an odd wind up and delivery, from what I remember.  Does this affect the weekend starter projection?

Wouldn't think so. Witt, LBJ and Hurley have seemed like the 3 likely weekend guys for a while now. Rigney was more a factor for midweek starts or in the bullpen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wouldn't think so. Witt, LBJ and Hurley have seemed like the 3 likely weekend guys for a while now. Rigney was more a factor for midweek starts or in the bullpen.

Where’s Harrison at recovery wise? He was a solid 7th/8th inning dude his freshman year 

On 11/11/2023 at 9:45 AM, BillyGoatHill said:

Lubbock is a shithole.

You aren't missing a thing town wise. Had to spend a weekend, in the middle of February no less, there for work about 10 yrs ago. The city tree is a telephone pole. There must be three, with the accompanying 10 wires for every house there.

The only thing good about Lubbock is that all the pretty girls (below the 10%, now 6 ?% line) that used to go to UT, are now going there.  The  good looking, beautiful blonde hair, blue eyed girls were everywhere.

The only trees in Lubbock are the big ones on the tech campus.

The tech girls are attractive, though too many are dumb as stumps, but it depends on what you're looking for.  Lulz.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:29 AM, BrazilHorn said:

Just got call yesterday re renewal of season tix so it is open. 
Got my renewal in. LFG!!!

Just looked at the site to see season ticket & mini-plan prices, but they haven't made them available yet. How much were they last year?

On 11/6/2023 at 9:41 AM, Caver60 said:

Super excited for this season. April 16 circled on the calendar.

My son is a true freshman OF at UTRGV. Right now it's looking like he won't redshirt. He's the fourth or fifth OF on the squad. 

Recruiting was a rough experience with the Covid years. In a "normal" year I think he would have had chances at some other schools, but we are really proud of him getting on with a D1 baseball program. We like the coaching staff at UTRGV quite a bit. No matter which way the game goes in Austin, we can't lose. Hook 'em

I'm a proud alumnus of UTRGV (UTPA Class of '12) and this is the only game each year that I root against our Longhorns. In my household, it's a win either way. Vamos Vaqueros!!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/15/2023 at 12:13 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

LSU will be very proud as it watches them all get drafted this Spring.

Roster notes from OB

Spoiler

Now that Winter conditioning is in full swing and Longhorn fans have a chance to take a moments breath before the Sugar Bowl, here is the update on the Texas Baseball roster and where things sit.

First, to the injury news and it is a big blow. Notre Dame transfer, LHP Will Mercer will miss the 2024 season due to an arm injury suffered late in the Fall. Mercer who had CWS experience and came to Texas as a senior transfer looked to play a huge part in the Texas pitching staff. Mercer had seen an uptick in his velocity this Fall and had given hitters trouble throughout.

As for the rest of the roster, here is where things sit.

Freshman Hayden Morris and freshman Brandon Bertsch are not expecting to be with the team in 2024.

In addition, fellow freshman MJ Sweeney, Ean Czech, Matt Zatopek, and Lane Allen have all entered their names into the transfer portal.

Finally, Baylor transfer Will Rigney and Duke transfer Oliver Santos are not expected to be with the team in 2024 either.

Feels like a lot of names, but the Horns were carrying 49 going into Fall workouts and will still have incoming Duke transfer Luke Storm joining the squad in January.

List of Outfielders:
Porter Brown
Jared Thomas
Casey Cummings
Tommy Farmer
Max Belyeu
Will Gasparino
Blake Peterson
Seth Werchan

List of Infielders:
Jayden Duplaniter
Jalin Flores
Cade O’Hara
Peyton Powell
Jack O’Dowd
Cam Constantine
Sam Ardoin
Casey Borba
Dee Kennedy
Nik Sanders
Luke Storm

List of Catchers:
Rylan Galvan
Kimble Schuessleer
Oliver Service

List of Pitchers:
Tanner Witt
Chase Lummus
Ace Whitehead
Charlie Hurley
David Shaw
Max Grubbs
Cody Howard
Heston Tole
Luke Harrison
Lebarron Johnson Jr
Andre Duplantier
Gage Boehm
Grant Fontenot
Hudson Hamilton
Cole Selvig
Easton Tumis
George Zaharias

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 5:22 PM, Huckleberry said:

Sorry if this was already discussed, but did we know that the pitcher who laid out the batter who homered and then taunted him will be in the conference this season?

I assume that guy was ejected . . . any other penalty?  

I'm shocked he will play for Cougar High.  That school is typically the epitome of class.

• Haha 1

Still trying to figure out what surgery David Shaw had in the offseason because it sounds like he might be good to go early in the season so it obviously wasn't Tommy John. Speaking of Tommy John, with Mercer out of the season the return of Luke Harrison just became much more important. Outside of Shaw and Harrison, the only lefties we have on the staff are Whitehead and Lummus.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Does anyone have a link to that story or know what in the hell happened? The video looks absurd.

Batter hit a go ahead homer in the top of the sixth, and admitted he “said something” to the pitcher, Woodward, as he was rounding the bases. Which it appears Woodward took exception to.

https://abc13.com/amp/owen-woodward-weatherford-texas-college-baseball-josh-phillips-juco-pitcher-tackles-batter/11779741/