NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Well, I guess Houston had a ton of cap money that they had to spend.

But.....yeesh.  50 million annually or so for FVV + Dillon Brooks?  

It's $60M, but only for 2 years. VanVleet's 3rd year is a TO. Londale's contract is a 1-year guarantee.

Edited by HtownHorn

I like what the Purple and Gold have done with free agency. I am not real big on buying jerseys, but I think I will get a Hachimura one since I have liked watching him play since his days with Gonzaga. If we add no one else this has been a really good off-season considering what this roster looked like a year ago at this time.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Damn that would suck to having to pretend to like Dillon Brooks.

That is just fantastic. That someone was willing to give him any kind of NBA contract after how he got pantsed in the playoffs is incredible. When the team you were on tells you almost two months ahead of free agency that they want nothing to do with you, mind you this is a team that employs a guy who beats up teenagers and brandishes guns regularly, well I think I might pass on that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There are some legitimately bad GM's in the NBA.  It's amazing.

Also, some of these franchises feel they have to be somewhat competitive every year.  They're afraid their fan bases will bolt if they have one bad season.  Fans are smarter than you think and can handle a rebuild if they see the strategy.  

• Like 1

Also, some of these franchises feel they have to be somewhat competitive every year.  They're afraid their fan bases will bolt if they have one bad season.  Fans are smarter than you think and can handle a rebuild if they see the strategy.  

That’s why the Grant signing is so baffling. No one had the cap space to sign him at anywhere close to that number. You pay him as a #2 when he is a clear #4.

We all expected Dame to leave. Now Grant is your #1? For 4 years? That contract is now almost untradable. I guarantee he would have taken 3/75 and that would have still been an overpay.

If you rebuild as a small market, you need to go all in. OKC has shown the way. UTA and ORL are next in line. Most everyone else is doing it wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Trust the process, right?
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 7:58 PM, UpperWestside said:

I like what the Purple and Gold have done with free agency. I am not real big on buying jerseys, but I think I will get a Hachimura one since I have liked watching him play since his days with Gonzaga. If we add no one else this has been a really good off-season considering what this roster looked like a year ago at this time.

Congrats, I didn't even know you two were going steady. 

Lakers had a really good weekend. Reaves for that number is an absolute bargain. By far, the best signing of free agency. Vincent is also a nice signing for the contract. Prince is an underrated but still solid signing. Rui was maybe a little bit of a overpay but not backbreaking horrible. Russell, I'm not a fan of, but that was an okay deal all things considered. They get Vanderbilt back. I think Reddish is garbage and I would completely shit on Hayes if he didn't go to school here, but that's a really solid offseason. What a turnaround from where they were before the deadline last season from a team without any depth to one of the deepest in the league. And honestly, with the injury stuff always hovering over Davis and Lebron, you are going to need that depth to get you through the regular season.

I thought Phoenix also did a solid job to for signing like 10 guys on minimum deals. They are a Bryn Forbes away from reuniting the end of the Spurs bench circa 2021ish, but I thought they made some serious chicken salad. Eric Gordon was a nice add at the end. 

I thought Indiana did nice things. Brown was an overpay but it's such a short term deal it's not a big deal.

Denver losing Brown and Green hurts their depth. Both those guys had big moments in the playoffs this year. It's Braun's time to step up.

The Spurs did absolutely nothing, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise. I would have liked for them to add a vet but whatever. They are going to take a patient approach, obviously. They still need to make another move to get to the floor. Maybe they get some scraps from whatever happens to Lillard or Harden. Maybe they tank-ish again for another top 10 pick? Other than Portland, every other team in the west will be all in on making the playoffs.

I don't want to shit on the Rockets, and FVV's third year not being guaranteed is great for them, but I'm not a big fan overall of their moves. I don't get the Brooks deal at all, nor do I understand giving up assets to dump two first round picks with three years combined experience. I guess there's nothing catastrophic, but it just seems like they could have got more traction with all that cash.

Toronto had a rough weekend. They lose VanVleet for zilch. They had to sign Poeltl for a big number after trading for him at the deadline. Siakam and Anunoby are both in the last years of their deals. They are about to overpay Gary Trent Jr. They are in purgatory and they owe the Spurs their first round pick next year, top 6 protected. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

My 4 team mega trade.

MIA
Dame

Clips
Harden

76ers
Herro
Nurkic
N. Powell
Covington

Blazers
Lowry
T. Harris
D. Robinson
2 MIA picks 28/30
1 Clippers pick 29

This works salary wise.

As best I can figure the 76ers are angling for cap space next off-season. It is why they have not yet extended their 2nd best player in Maxey even though he will get a max extension next summer. I feel like there is a good chance Harden is still there opening night.

As best I can figure the 76ers are angling for cap space next off-season. It is why they have not yet extended their 2nd best player in Maxey even though he will get a max extension next summer. I feel like there is a good chance Harden is still there opening night.

The free agent class sucks next year, like really bad.

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Denver losing Brown and Green hurts their depth. Both those guys had big moments in the playoffs this year. It's Braun's time to step up.

Brown hurts more, for sure.  But I'll never think poorly of a guy who got his paycheck tripled (and the Nuggets were only allowed to offer him $7.8 million).  He earned it.  Jeff Green ate up a lot of minutes that could have (or should have) gone to others.  He's a terrible defender, but he's good for a few dunks per game.  I'll miss Dunkle Jeff but no way the Nuggets are giving him $6 million.

5 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

They havent extended him because once they do they cannot trade him.    Despite them saying they wont trade him no matter what no extension speaks much louder.   If they can get Dame I have to think they would let him go.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

They havent extended him because once they do they cannot trade him.    Despite them saying they wont trade him no matter what no extension speaks much louder.   If they can get Dame I have to think they would let him go.

If they give him an extension now it affects their cap room prematurely, which seems to be important to Morey. Maxey won’t be the player that gets moved. Philly adding Lillard gets them no closer to the Finals. 

13 hours ago, d2o said:

This is kind of a headscratcher.    I want to think its clearing space to go after Harden/Lillard but I'd imagine he would be a decent part of a package for either 

Seems to be more of a coach/player issue. Toppin ran his mouth during the series with Miami. I think they are just letting go of a guy Thibodeaux does not want there.