Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

31 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

How many times has the Titan gone to the Titanic?

The Titan has made the voyage to the Titanic three times, once a year since 2021.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/22/how-many-times-has-the-titan-gone-to-the-titanic-and-how-deep-is-the-wreck-18994926/

Google is our friend. 

On NBC News they just reported that Titan had made 13 expeditions to the Titanic.

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

From what I read there were 13 attempts, 3 got there. Not sure if that includes this one. 

Not a very good batting average.  If you were a billionaire with a Titanic obsession, why don’t you just call the people who got James Cameron down and back 30+ times?  Or Paul Allen’s people finding all of the WWII ships in the Pacific.  Let’s say it’s $1.5M  vs $250k to get proven equipment, that’s a no-brainer for a billionaire. I do not have the cash to go down to the Titanic, but if I did, I would not hire the Spirit Airlines of the submarine industry.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Not a very good batting average.  If you were a billionaire with a Titanic obsession, why don’t you just call the people who got James Cameron down and back 30+ times?  Or Paul Allen’s people finding all of the WWII ships in the Pacific.  Let’s say it’s $1.5M  vs $250k to get proven equipment, that’s a no-brainer for a billionaire. I do not have the cash to go down to the Titanic, but if I did, I would not hire the Spirit Airlines of the submarine industry.

Cannot find a dive log, just saw a few articles that they did 13 dives, but only the article I cited says 3 made it down. 

Well I guess this one did. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

If they hit a rock, surfaced, did a half-assed "repair" and then never subjected the vessel to an (unmanned?) deep dive or pressure test before last week, yeah, that could lead to a catastrophic failure due to compressive loads at depth.  I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's certainly a possibility.

Paintless dent repair, most likely.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You’d be surprised how cheap the uber wealthy can be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

This is so true for so many. I think people would be surprised by those that are (think people with causes and are very vocal.) Speaking of being so fucking cheap (this is one of my favorite SNL skits and I for some reason cannot find the Titanic one —-no not the one in the last ten years—this one had Will Ferrell in it—itwas an opening where they’d would rather put pieces of the iceberg in lifeboats than people—I know it exists)  so fucking cheap relates to this thread and one of my favorite skits of all time:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I can be cheap.  I am not Uber wealthy.  But there have been times in my life where the cheapest provider of a particular service is not the best choice.  Airplanes and submarines fall under that category.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So per this guy--a friend of the deceased CEO, btw--the cracking sounds of the carbon fiber tube were commonly observed from the beginning, during test dives at a fraction of the Titanic's depth.

Worse, they could use the frequency of the cracking sounds as a depth indicator of sorts.

• Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So per this guy--a friend of the deceased CEO, btw--the cracking sounds of the carbon fiber tube were commonly observed from the beginning, during test dives at a fraction of the Titanic's depth.

Worse, they could use the frequency of the cracking sounds as a depth indicator of sorts.

The dude has what appears to be a Beatles Yellow Submarine sculpture in the background for the interview.  Which one of you is he?

Edited by dcbc

Spirit… ISWYDT

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

All you people talking about how many dives did it do, that's not really important.

What's important is you keep your dive/surface ratio at 100%.

There is some materials science to argue that carbon fiber has less than desirable properties when repeatly under significant material fatigue. Like listening to the hull crack as you dive past 1km over and over and over 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I can be cheap.  I am not Uber wealthy.  But there have been times in my life where the cheapest provider of a particular service is not the best choice.  Airplanes and submarines fall under that category.

Having some experience with the former category and Uber wealthy people I can assure you that your commoner common sense ways are far from universal with those with at least high 7 zero bank accounts and up. 

And, as I mentioned up thread a time or three, having that kind of money makes a lot of people think they are invulnerable and the world operates at their pleasure. 

Having dollars doesn’t mean you have sense. 

Since this story is winding down, I'd like to suggest that those of you who appear to be Sub Captains, Sonar guys, underwater demolition experts, engineers, metallurgists, marine biologists, or marine biologists of the Costanza School of Marine Biology, Flex Seal enthusiasts, gamers, meme makers, and generally funny people, check out the Orca Thread.  It has potential.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That guy said in a different interview that Stockton built a new Titan version after that one (the cracking was in a different sub).  But obviously the same thing could've happened.  Manufacturers are still discovering and dealing with issues with carbon fiber in aircraft, so subjecting carbon fiber to sea water, big temperature shifts, and repeated immense pressure without extensive stress testing and certification is pretty crazy.  This is also why aircraft have to undergo different series of maintenance checks based on number of cycles throughout their lifetime, including scanning everything for microscopic cracks.

Edited by OU Sucks

3 minutes ago, pops said:

Christmas lights in your own neighborhood would like to have a word. 

The Holiday Family Insanity Threads, as well.

@immamac Is there a "Classics" forum yet?  We could call it Classical Studies (but some Classics major should probably just out him/herself and name it something funnier.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Since this story is winding down, I'd like to suggest that those of you who appear to be Sub Captains, Sonar guys, underwater demolition experts, engineers, metallurgists, marine biologists, or marine biologists of the Costanza School of Marine Biology, Flex Seal enthusiasts, gamers, meme makers, and generally funny people, check out the Orka Thread.  It has potential.

1/1Skip AdContinue watchingafter the adVisit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

2.png

Orka? Did you misspell "okra" or "orca"?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Multiple

simpsons writer mike reiss went on it multiple times, once down to the titanic

They took Dracula down in that POS...if I got into that giant propane tank and saw a Dracula grinning at me, I would be stabbing every mother fucker near me in the heart with a pencil

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3-9 is all gold. I've never put much thought towards who was prod. but have mainly focused on the writers. A lot of times the writing credit is arbitrary as it's mainly a team effort (sans the Swartzwelder eps). You may be right that the showrunning is the most important aspect. 

21 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

They took Dracula down in that POS...if I got into that giant propane tank and saw a Dracula grinning at me, I would be stabbing every mother fucker near me in the heart with a pencil

Is he on the shitter? I thought the only window was in the shitter?

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Just read articles of how orcas have been attacking vessels all around the world.  What if a pod of orcas rammed them.  Shamus revenge 

IMG_1150.jpeg

Edited by Porterhouse

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

Is he on the shitter? I thought the only window was in the shitter?

The Simpsons spent more animating that sub than was spent on the Ocean Gate sub.  Hence, more windows and good Okra views.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

The Simpsons spent more animating that sub than was spent on the Ocean Gate sub.  Hence, more windows and good Okra views.

Groening made $17 million just for airing that episode. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Drool 2

6 hours ago, blacklab said:

We'd always joke about the dive/surface ratio on the boat.

There was one chief who early in his career was on a boat with a guy who had been assigned to both the Scorpion and Thresher, the only two nuclear boats the US Navy has lost. He happened to be on leave when they each went down. He said when they would be figuring out how to fix something or were talking about some system the guy would walk by and say "That's just like the Scorpian's" or "There's only two boats in the navy that have that layout, the Thresher and the Scorpion"

Me and my buddies get together every year and sometimes we just laugh at how a bunch of drunk 20 year olds were able to keep a submarine going.  It always starts with you remember that time we were in Hawaii and we had to do an emergency reactor startup and the Eng asked who smelled like tequila and you said Eng can I get to the Point of Added Heat before I get relieved as Reactor Operator

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Me and my buddies get together every year and sometimes we just laugh at how a bunch of drunk 20 year olds were able to keep a submarine going.  It always starts with you remember that time we were in Hawaii and we had to do an emergency reactor startup and the Eng asked who smelled like tequila and you said Eng can I get to the Point of Added Heat before I get relieved as Reactor Operator

And that gets you #1 in the world at doing what you do.

The orcas may really be smarter than us.