hotel housekeeping - I think so

thunderclouds sub bro- fuck off

dry cleaner - I asked for extra starch

agree or disagree.  Who did I miss?   Ups guy?  Watch out for my pit bulls

Extra starch? Ok 1980s frat boy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I worked at my uncle's dry cleaner a couple summers when I was in HS.  There is only one starch.  Light, regular, heavy, whatever, it's all the same.  I was taught to just say OK, heavy (or light, or regular) starch, no problem, when taking it in.  And when handing clean clothes over, look at the tag and repeat, heavy (or light, or regular) starch.  No one ever complained.  Oh, and I never got tipped.  Although occasionally the register was out of balance at the end of the day and if it was over, I'd keep it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I am a generous and consistent tipper.  However, where there is no actual service given, like at a fast food place or counter service, I get very annoyed with a tip jar or a question on the POS machine about adding a tip.  For what?  Entering my order on a computer screen?

Now ask yourself how much effort is required to open a fucking beer, and going rate is generally a buck for doing that.

Two things.  I don’t mind tipping a server 20% and up for good to great service,   I expect to do that.  And 20% is not the base for even shitty service.  I’ll go lower if I’m certain it’s the server’s fault.  Second, I just don’t carry much, if any, cash around these days so without a credit or debit card transaction involved I’m not throwing cash around to some that might deserve a tip.  Oh well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Furniture/appliance delivery persons. 

Sonic skaters

Just about anyone who comes out to the house for a service call… tree service, Generator check up, and we tip hotel maids about $5 bucks a night and rarely have them service the room if there more than 3 nights but will tip for days not serviced. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, shakahorn said:

I worked at my uncle's dry cleaner a couple summers when I was in HS.  There is only one starch.  Light, regular, heavy, whatever, it's all the same.  I was taught to just say OK, heavy (or light, or regular) starch, no problem, when taking it in.  And when handing clean clothes over, look at the tag and repeat, heavy (or light, or regular) starch.  No one ever complained.  Oh, and I never got tipped.  Although occasionally the register was out of balance at the end of the day and if it was over, I'd keep it.

Your uncle sounds like a schiester; it’s obvious from touch when your cotton/linen is heavy starched versus regular.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Now ask yourself how much effort is required to open a fucking beer, and going rate is generally a buck for doing that.

If we want to change the law requiring bars and restaurants to start paying bartenders $15 or $20 an hour, it would be totally reasonable to tip only on mixed drinks and cocktails. But right now bartenders make $2.13 an hour - almost all of which goes to taxes. So yeah, tip your bartender the buck on the beer ya cheap bastard. Or drink your beers at home.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

If we want to change the law requiring bars and restaurants to start paying bartenders $15 or $20 an hour, it would be totally reasonable to tip only on mixed drinks and cocktails. But right now bartenders make $2.13 an hour - almost all of which goes to taxes. So yeah, tip your bartender the buck on the beer ya cheap bastard. Or drink your beers at home.  

nah, I don't hose my bartenders.  I go to the same place 2-3 times per week.  I tip for overall experience, taking care of the customer, knowing my order before I even make it, access to new stuff/ head's up on close-outs, etc, etc, etc.  Have had many a 'sample' of good bourbons because they know I like em, but would never buy the expensive shit in a bar.

The point remains, a buck a beer is not for a whole lot of effort.  Now, if you're getting the other stuff I mentioned as a regular, if I JUST tipped $1 a beer, they'd ask why I was pissed off or whatever.

1 hour ago, HonkeyVape said:

Your uncle sounds like a schiester; it’s obvious from touch when your cotton/linen is heavy starched versus regular.

I worked in a dry cleaner for a short time in high school.  This above is correct.  There are different dilutions of the starch you can use or make.  You can also simply put more or less on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, shakahorn said:

There are three  levels of starch and your uncle just didn't want to do the actual heavy starch. None, light/regular, and heavy. Heavy was an extra cycle of starch and the jeans wouldn't even lay over the hanger flat, they curled over it. Popular amongst welders and ranch folk as they basically were rock hard. Shirts could do all three as well but the type of shirt affected the starch hold more than the amount. I'd have them wash mine again if they accidentally got in a heavy starch load because it was uncomfortable as fuck. 

On the dry cleaning side there's "sizing" and they can use extra of that too if you ask. It's less noticeable but can help or hurt. We'd get no sizing requests too but I doubt most people can tell the difference between none and normal. 

source: ten years in the business when I was younger.

• Like 1

Dry cleaners?

Seriously I know the girl at my dry cleaners. She grabs the hangers of my clothes and scans them with an IR reader gun. It takes under 15 seconds. So I should tip this? Yea I’m gonna start tipping grocery store clerks for actually swiping my debit card I guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

They make 15 in California and Washington.  I still tip though.  

And yes I’ll tip at sonic 

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

Dry cleaners?

Seriously I know the girl at my dry cleaners. She grabs the hangers of my clothes and scans them with an IR reader gun. It takes under 15 seconds. So I should tip this? Yea I’m gonna start tipping grocery store clerks for actually swiping my debit card I guess.

In a case like this aren't the Tips shared?  Just like counter jar tips, I was always under the assumption it was for everyone not just the cashier/counterperson. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

In a case like this aren't the Tips shared?  Just like counter jar tips, I was always under the assumption it was for everyone not just the cashier/counterperson. 

If the dry cleaners are paying waitress wages (newsflash: They arent) then I would.

I am a generous and consistent tipper.  However, where there is no actual service given, like at a fast food place or counter service, I get very annoyed with a tip jar or a question on the POS machine about adding a tip.  For what?  Entering my order on a computer screen?
I always tip at the cupcake place even though I probably shouldn't. All they did was put 4 cupcakes in a box.

But I guess they share it with the bakers.

It strikes me that if we started paying a normal wage for waiters and waitresses, it would be a net negative for the workers, a net negative for non-tippers today, and a net positive for those who do tip 20-25+%.

• The help would almost assuredly make less money, with a fixed rate and no tips, and taxes taken out of a w2 check, and they probably will only be able to work right up to the limit of whatever full time is defined as to get away with having to be given benefits or whatever.
  • Non-tippers would be paying more as their per unit cost would be higher (because they are horrible people who don't tip) as the restaurants entire menu would necessarily be raised across the board to accommodate and soak up the upfront sunk cost by the business in having to provide a $18/hour + meager benefits. Your $10 cheeseburger is now $16 or whatever, as an example.
  • The diner who tips moderate to exceptionally will win. We expect to pay 20-25+% on our ticket and so the final bill with the adjusted prices, unless 20-25% higher than otherwise, should be lower.

But the reality is, we keep it at $2.13 because servers and bar tenders and patrons like it that way. They like making gobs of cash (in good situations, at least) that can minimized on taxes, and if made to be another rote employee that a robot could do, the incentive for good service would go away and you'd have even less people wanting to do this job than we do today. Also, just speaking for myself, but it makes us feel good to be a good tipper. I tip 100% at waffle house because that usually only amounts to like 15 or 20 bucks, and you'd think I was a hero. It makes people's day and the people working at waffle house are exactly the type who need the blessings.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HonkeyVape said:

It strikes me that if we started paying a normal wage for waiters and waitresses, it would be a net negative for the workers, a net negative for non-tippers today, and a net positive for those who do tip 20-25+%.

• The help would almost assuredly make less money, with a fixed rate and no tips, and taxes taken out of a w2 check, and they probably will only be able to work right up to the limit of whatever full time is defined as to get away with having to be given benefits or whatever.
  • Non-tippers would be paying more as their per unit cost would be higher (because they are horrible people who don't tip) as the restaurants entire menu would necessarily be raised across the board to accommodate and soak up the upfront sunk cost by the business in having to provide a $18/hour + meager benefits. Your $10 cheeseburger is now $16 or whatever, as an example.
  • The diner who tips moderate to exceptionally will win. We expect to pay 20-25+% on our ticket and so the final bill with the adjusted prices, unless 20-25% higher than otherwise, should be lower.

But the reality is, we keep it at $2.13 because servers and bar tenders and patrons like it that way. They like making gobs of cash (in good situations, at least) that can minimized on taxes, and if made to be another rote employee that a robot could do, the incentive for good service would go away and you'd have even less people wanting to do this job than we do today. Also, just speaking for myself, but it makes us feel good to be a good tipper. I tip 100% at waffle house because that usually only amounts to like 15 or 20 bucks, and you'd think I was a hero. It makes people's day and the people working at waffle house are exactly the type who need the blessings.

Just go to any country in which servers are paid well and tipping is minimized (Norway, for example), and you’ll see the crappy service that results from that!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I noticed at the new Moody Center they have kiosks where you grab a cold beer out of a fridge and self-checkout with a credit card. There's one security guard there making sure no one steals anything. When you go to pay the machine asks how much of a tip you want to leave. Fucking ridiculous. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 6

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I always tip at the cupcake place even though I probably shouldn't. All they did was put 4 cupcakes in a box.

But I guess they share it with the bakers.

That is victory if you only ordered 2 or 3

18 hours ago, closetohumping said:

They make 15 in California and Washington.  I still tip though.  

And yes I’ll tip at sonic 

The Draught House was paying bartenders 20 bucks an hour 20 years ago, and providing health insurance. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HonkeyVape said:

Good post.  Only thing I’ll correct you on is the 2.13 stuff is mostly southern states. I’m Washington and California it’s 15. 

56 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I noticed at the new Moody Center they have kiosks where you grab a cold beer out of a fridge and self-checkout with a credit card. There's one security guard there making sure no one steals anything. When you go to pay the machine asks how much of a tip you want to leave. Fucking ridiculous. 

Tip the machine or the security guard? AI or Al

• Haha 2

My rule of thumb on those machines is:

If nobody is there, no tip.

If someone is there doing something for me, at any level, I ask them if they personally get the tips. If they say yes, I leave a commensurate amount depending on what I’m buying or where I’m at.

Other rules of thumb:

Bartenders at my regular places get tipped more. As said previously, “how quickly do you want your next beer.” It’s nice showing up on a busy Friday night and they make your drink and hand to you and leave other people puzzled who have been standing there 5 mins or more.

Restaraunts/Bars where you hang out for a while? Tip based on the expected turn rates and average tabs for the table. So if you sit at a table for 3 hours and prevented the waitress from serving three separate groups in that time, don’t be a dick and tip her maybe 3x. Sometimes even giving a $20 upfront and telling them you’ll be hanging out a while can go a long way.
  • Like 1

A common frustrating position is not having any cash for a tip, for example for a valet driver or a airport shuttle driver. A $5 tip for each is fine, IMHO.  The problem is, I almost never have $5 with me. It’s an awkward exchange to give a 20 and ask for money back. 
As to the airport shuttle guys, almost nobody tips them. I actually end up tipping a lot more sometimes if I notice that the ungrateful schmucks in front of me haven’t tipped at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

A common frustrating position is not having any cash for a tip, for example for a valet driver or a airport shuttle driver. A $5 tip for each is fine, IMHO.  The problem is, I almost never have $5 with me. It’s an awkward exchange to give a 20 and ask for money back. 
As to the airport shuttle guys, almost nobody tips them. I actually end up tipping a lot more sometimes if I notice that the ungrateful schmucks in front of me haven’t tipped at all. 

I’ve had this happen to me too and I’ve started stashing $1 and $5 bills in the center consoles of both our vehicles…and then try like hell to remember when I park at the airport to throw at least $10-20 in small bills to cover the shuttle drivers and/or valets…at least for the first couple legs to give me time to have the hotel break a larger bill.

18 minutes ago, nnm said:

I'm there with you, though some people already tip valets 20 bucks.  How about bartenders at a conference or work function?  I often times don't have cash then.  Maybe I'll venmo

We just tipped the folks that steam cleaned my carpet.  Not sure I agreed wit hthat.

I do tip movers and Uber drivers.  

I always give the guy who empties my septic tank twenty bucks. Every couple of years I'll call him and when I say my address he knows immediately who I am and is there that day or the next at the latest.

Years ago we ate at the restaurant in the hotel at Davis Mountains State Park. It must be the last place that the state of Texas hasn't leased out to an independent because the servers are (or were, this was a while back) state employees and aren't allowed to accept tips. If you tried to tip them, they would refuse it. If you left money on the table, they were supposed to drop it in a donation box by the door that went to the TPWD. Their service was fine, iirc.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/29/2023 at 6:19 PM, nnm said:

This is why it’s an old genteel aphorism: A gentleman is never fully dressed unless he has some pocket cash.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2