Wonka (Chalamet, Hugh Grant in Orangeface)

TheStoicPaisano

I'm of two minds on this. One side is me rolling my eyes at another throw away prequel that just keeps feeding our sad need for nostalgia over original stories. The other side of me likes Chalamet and the director of Paddington. Probably wait for this one to come on HBO Max. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'm of two minds on this. One side is me rolling my eyes at another throw away prequel that just keeps feeding our sad need for nostalgia over original stories. The other side of me likes Chalamet and the director of Paddington. Probably wait for this one to come on HBO Max. 

Willy Wonka came out 52 years ago, like whos nostalgia do you think they are catering to? That target demo is pretty worthless unless you mean nostalgia for the 2005 shitshow which btw was 18 years ago. I guess millennials have nostalgia too

20 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Willy Wonka came out 52 years ago, like whos nostalgia do you think they are catering to? That target demo is pretty worthless unless you mean nostalgia for the 2005 shitshow which btw was 18 years ago. I guess millennials have nostalgia too

I mean, it's a cult classic for a reason. I saw it in the theaters in the 80s. It got multiple re-releases on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. Then the Johnny Depp one happened and yes that generation is probably pretty partial to that one. Then Wonka became an internet meme in the 2010s so I'd imagine that also led a new generation to watch it. If it's not about nostalgia, how does this get made as a direct send up of Gene Wilder's character? Someone at Warner Bros was just a huge Roald Dahl fan and wanted to investigate the origin story of Wonka?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Fully expected to be out, but the trailer is pretty good, I'll see it for sure. The CGI on Hugh Grant looks terrible, hopefully he's just a small part. 

I sided with Amber Heard in the poopy bed trial solely because Depp should be in jail for his version of Willy Wonka. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I mean, it's a cult classic for a reason. I saw it in the theaters in the 80s. It got multiple re-releases on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. Then the Johnny Depp one happened and yes that generation is probably pretty partial to that one. Then Wonka became an internet meme in the 2010s so I'd imagine that also led a new generation to watch it. If it's not about nostalgia, how does this get made as a direct send up of Gene Wilder's character? Someone at Warner Bros was just a huge Roald Dahl fan and wanted to investigate the origin story of Wonka?

Well the answer to that is people no longer create art they create content. Rebooting movies isn't about nostalgia, nostalgia is the algorithm saying you need to make content about growing up in the 80;s or you need to make a new Indiana Jones movie with all the same actors and bring them back together. Rebooting movies is about taking recognizable properties and reskinning them to a younger demographic in the hopes of being able to spin it off into new content and repeating the cycle again in 20 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Chalamet seems like a terrible actor. 

People decided to hate 2005 wonka just because it wasn’t the original. It’s actually a pretty damn good movie and I’ll watch it over the 1971 one any day. 

I’m sure there’s some of that, but not me. I was excited for it and there are parts I like, but Depp way overacts to make the character his own and is way too much like his other Tim Burton characters.

20 hours ago, futureman said:

I know Chalamet is supposed to be a great actor but those clips look like they grabbed a random drama student from a community college and fed him lines. 

This. Just the trailer, but dang if it doesn’t look both overacted and super crappy-ly acted, all at the same time.

It's full of wonder and swelling music and dreams and CGI and the cutest dialogue. 

Not even with a free ticket. It will probably make a trillion dollars because everybody knows the drill.

Hugh Grant looked amusing. He's enjoying a nice career post-romcom.

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's full of wonder and swelling music and dreams and CGI and the cutest dialogue. 

Not even with a free ticket. It will probably make a trillion dollars because everybody knows the drill.

Hugh Grant looked amusing. He's enjoying a nice career post-romcom.

There aren't a ton of tentpole type movies that aren't vulgar/R/MA to take young families to that also aren't animated and aren't comic books, so yea, I agree this will do numbers. Especially as it's a holiday season movie. 

Kids will like it, adults will tolerate it is my best guess.

• Like 1

i wanna see old school oompa loompas.  they were the best part.  cgi famous face oompas doesn't do it for me.

oompa loompa doopity do.  murdering children is good for you.  this german fat kid is going to drown.  that will turn our frowns upside down.

The dwarfs of the world should be shouting bullshit. Opportunities are limited as it is - CGI’ing oompa loompas is a kick in their crowded teeth.
  • Hook 'Em 2

That's a pretty fabulous cast riding that gravy train. They'll elevate the material which brings me to one of my biggest dislikes in many movies that rely on dramatization rather than action: overwhelming musical scores.

Filmmakers don't trust (or are not allowed to trust) material interpretted by even the best actors of the day. The best emotions generated by a movie are those that are drawn from the audience from an actor's interpretation which touches something inside the viewer. It's akin to the best jokes being the ones where the listener has to put together the pieces in their head. 

I first noticed this heavy-handed use of music employed by Ron Howard although I'm sure he didn't originate it. The music imposes a feeling on the viewer even when the viewer doesn't need it. In the trailer above, wonder is cued by swelling music, comedy by stocatto music, and the reference to the usual folderol about dreams by a poignant note. All overdone. 

I'm not saying get rid of musical scores. Just stop hammering me with them. But restraint in any moment of a big movie is rarely to be found outside of Nolan or a few others who have both control and skill. Michael Mann is another favorite, of course. The music in Last of the Mohicans is brilliant and applied perfectly.

Thus ends another round of Bloviations with Roma.

28 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That's a pretty fabulous cast riding that gravy train. They'll elevate the material which brings me to one of my biggest dislikes in many movies that rely on dramatization rather than action: overwhelming musical scores.

Filmmakers don't trust (or are not allowed to trust) material interpretted by even the best actors of the day. The best emotions generated by a movie are those that are drawn from the audience from an actor's interpretation which touches something inside the viewer. It's akin to the best jokes being the ones where the listener has to put together the pieces in their head. 

I first noticed this heavy-handed use of music employed by Ron Howard although I'm sure he didn't originate it. The music imposes a feeling on the viewer even when the viewer doesn't need it. In the trailer above, wonder is cued by swelling music, comedy by stocatto music, and the reference to the usual folderol about dreams by a poignant note. All overdone. 

I'm not saying get rid of musical scores. Just stop hammering me with them. But restraint in any moment of a big movie is rarely to be found outside of Nolan or a few others who have both control and skill. Michael Mann is another favorite, of course. The music in Last of the Mohicans is brilliant and applied perfectly.

Thus ends another round of Bloviations with Roma.

The whole time I was reading this I was hearing: 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Helobious said:

People decided to hate 2005 wonka just because it wasn’t the original. It’s actually a pretty damn good movie and I’ll watch it over the 1971 one any day. 

um-no-speechless.gif

23 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

15 December.

Mr Bean sighting in the trailer

18 hours ago, Helobious said:

(Furiously looking for betting opportunities on Chalamet for Best Actor Oscar)

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll see it.  My daughter is Roald Dahl fan, although neither of other 2 movies really move the needle much for her.  Personally I'm in the same boat, always got bored being forced to watch the original growing up in the 90s and the Burton version was even more easily dismissed.  As an adult I've grown to appreciate a lot more of Wilder's Wonka than I could as a kid though.  

3 hours ago, bluto said:

Chalamet is horribly miscast here and lacks  charisma in that trailer. 

Agree with this post. Everything about the movie looks great except Chalamet. 

That being said, it’s hard to replicate the an ounce of Wilder’s charisma. 

4 hours ago, wutang75 said:

The dwarfs of the world should be shouting bullshit. Opportunities are limited as it is - CGI’ing oompa loompas is a kick in their crowded teeth.

Ok - so.. "CGI’ing oompa loompas is a kick in their crowded teeth" made me spit out my coffee on my laptop. Touché! 

• Like 2