2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Herman might still be coaching here if A) he wasn't such an unprofessional meathead and B) hired a semi-competent staff that wasn't comprised of garbage like Todd Orlando, Warehime, Mehringer, etc.

Who gives a shit about Herman? Jesus Christ people. Dude fucking sucked. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Only Surly could spin “our head coach admits to getting writers block during big games a normal game in which were playing an injured backup QB and our star WR went down in the first half” as a positive.

Never change, Surly.

FTFY

Not that I'm arguing against you. I'm indifferent. Let's just not make this into a bigger deal than it needs to be. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Thompson isn’t even standing out during practices, apparently. It seems low risk that he’s going to magically light up Texas at 165 pounds, not running solid routes and working with shaky hands. 

Now I’ve cursed us. Christ. 

OU has beaten the shit out of us with undersized midgets at running back.  I don't see why an undersized WR will do any worse 

37 minutes ago, kevwun said:

USC needs to be thrown out the window.  He was a raging alcoholic who was drinking on the job.  What happened there doesn't really matter as long as he stays sober.

Not to mention he was only there for 18 games total and dealt with the after effects of NCAA probation. . 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Not to mention he was only there for 18 games total and dealt with the after effects of NCAA probation. . 

That chapter is covered in my jacking off to sark fantasies thread. He didn’t cover himself in glory but SC had 55 scholarships and had been hammered and the Carroll era had fully run its course. It wasn’t as bad as some people made it out to be. Add in his raging alcoholism which is now seemingly under control and I think it’s more Sark hasn’t done it yet, not sark can’t do it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Walk-on Gavin Freeman

A 5 foot 8 kid from Heritage Hall that Tech offered will never make a big impression. He's going to have to really step up, can't just stick his toe in the water. I'm sure he's got great feet if he's making an impact this early. 

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I don’t fancy myself as a herman apologist but that fuck had some pretty bad luck here or he may have turned things around.  Shows you what a great job this truly is

I think Herman is a better overall game manager than Sark, but his hubris and personality would've prevented him from ever being the recruiting juggernaut that Sark looks to be capable of and his stubbornness (and again hubris) led to some poor player evaluations especially in areas he considered himself as being an expert on (ie WR, OL, etc)

Herman also seemed adverse to the chase when going after elite recruits deep into the cycle. Of course some could argue that Sark's penchant for doing that is more or less a byproduct of the NIL/portal environment and our move towards the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I am pretty sure Thompson just wants to run go routes in his track offseason. He didn't really take to any actual route running or learning nuances of the position. The problem is, those go routes are all Lebby will ask him to run and he should be pretty damn good at it if Hercules Gabriel can heave it more than 40 yards. I am not convinced of the latter, but I don't love the idea of him lining up on Ryan Watts 1 on 1 if he manages to beat the press. This is where having Gavin Holmes should be handy. 

In this situation, Watts likely as safety help over the top

If he doesn't, Watts is likely playing off rather than pressing

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Lol Ryan Watts has about 50 pounds on Thompson.  There is a reason BT didn't get any playing time last year despite Jordan Whittington being our only healthy WR all season last year.  He couldn't beat press coverage, run decent routes, or have good hands last year.  Watts will beat him on press coverage every time if ou has Thompson playing meaningful snaps this fall.

Brenan Thompson is listed, LISTED, at 5'9" and 155 on the OU roster. he was listed at 5'10" and 163 at Texas.

based on their listed information Ryan Watts has about 50lbs and 6" on the guy.

people thought Ryan Niblett was small, he's listed at 5'10" and 183. Keilan Robinson is tiny and was listed at 5'9" and 188#.

Deuce Vaughn was 179 at the NFL combine (and 5'5")

he is fast as hell, but at this point if he had returned he would have been like the 8th best WR in the room behind Worthy, Neyor, Whittington, Mitchell, Cain and Cook?

dude made the right call to leave. now he's behind someone named Gavin Freeman, who is listed a 5'8" and 181 and is the "best" WR on campus per that hayseed Venables.

i wish him the best of luck, not only in the B12 this year but in the SEC next year. dude is going to struggle.

Gruntled to see all the talk about Eleven Win Esteban. I think we're 15 years removed from a roster this talented, and so much of that talent is in the freshman and sophomores that Sark recruited. And he's doing it again with the '24 class. Now he just has to win, and with this year's schedule he's got a great opportunity to do so ...

cantwait-hyped.gif

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:
  Reveal hidden contents
By this morning, they’ve parsed the film from the first scrimmage, so they have an idea what the young guys can do and how much the experienced ones have improved over the summer.
Now it’s time to prep for one last scrimmage this coming Saturday, the results of which will likely decide the rotations and starting lineups for the first three games of the season.
Some of the moves thus far:
– DJ Campbell looks more and more like the starter at right guard. But do not take this as any sort of indictment on Cole Hutson.
I’ve been told by more than one source that Hutson is having a good fall camp as well, and that’s a primary reason why Kyle Flood is working him in up and down the offensive line. Hutson worked at both guard spots and center on Saturday; it’s a cross-training that fits Hutson because of his high football IQ and hard-nosed approach.
I believe Hutson is the odds-on favorite to start at center next season if Jake Majors finishes out his college career.
– Arch Manning had some folks in the stands buzzing on Saturday. It wasn’t so much his ability to throw, but the idea that he’s a vastly better athlete than most anticipated. “I had no idea he could run like that,” one viewer said.
Manning is not an “elusive” runner by any means; instead, he is a functional one. And once he gets going, he runs in the 4.6 range.
Manning outplayed Maalik Murphy on Saturday. Murphy threw a pick six to Manny Muhammad.
You may also like
🚨 BREAKING 🚨 The Gators lost a key defensive player for the season to a torn ACL
Texans HC DeMeco Ryans speaks on C.J. Stroud's performance in NFL Debut
Alabama Crimson Tide in the mix for 5-star DL
– I asked multiple people if Jalen Catalon saw action on Saturday. And no one I spoke to remembers him playing. It’s possible he only played a few early snaps, or was held out altogether.
SPONSORED CONTENT
The Price Of These Dental Implants Is Turning Heads
By Branded Links
Either way, that would be in line with Steve Sarkisian’s desire to keep the Arkansas transfer healthy headed into game one with Rice.
– Fellas, it’s time to get on the freshman bandwagon. I wrote it yesterday, as did Gerry, and the 2023 recruiting class has some dudes in it. How much will they help this season is up for debate. However, the brightness of their future is not.
I had someone I’ve known for a long time tell me this is the best freshman class he remembers in at least a decade. Not surprising perhaps given its national ranking, but we’ve all seen highly ranked recruiting classes not live up to expectations.
– While Ced Baxter continues to impress, there is no question about who the starting RB is for the Longhorns. Jonathon Brooks has “really separated” himself from the competition. Keilan Robinson, who had a long TD run in the scrimmage, will continue to have a defined role on the team.
– Most surprising freshman on Saturday? That would go to Billy Walton. The freshman caused some havoc in the opposing backfield.
– Byron Murphy and Jaylan Ford are the leaders of the defensive front. Ford has been considered a team leader since the middle of last season. Murphy, in his true junior year, is clearly taking on that additional role this season. Murphy’s “activity” along the defensive front was noted to me as improved. He’s playing more effectively and creating a bigger impact than a year ago

Burton practice report:

Arch outplayed Murphy

Brooks has separated at running back.

Campbell is ahead of Hutson.  Hutson could be starting center next year.

The price of dental implants is turning heads. 

the only way that happens is if Jake Majors, who everyone around here still thinks is trash despite Kyle Flood loving the guy, goes pro.

i don't see a universe where Texas and Kyle Flood push out a guy who would have started 38 straight games at that point at center for a guy who would have started 0.

Bobby's quote:

I believe Hutson is the odds-on favorite to start at center next season if Jake Majors finishes out his college career.

Edited by NoName

6 may be a bit much but he's definitely getting 4 and I'd say 5 is pretty close to guaranteed with the big talent acquisition of his first 2 seasons. 
I feel Sark's fate will be sealed either way by what he does starting next year in the SEC. Go in and compete with the top of the conference and he's staying. Go in and look like aggy and he'll find his way out. 
Looking like aggy their first year in the SEC (with a Big12 roster recruited by Mike Sherman) will buy Sark a few more seasons, maybe as many as 4 more.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

the only way that happens is if Jake Majors, who everyone around here still thinks is trash despite Kyle Flood loving the guy, goes pro.

i don't see a universe where Texas and Kyle Flood push out a guy who would have started 38 straight games at that point at center for a guy who would have started 0.

Bobby's quote:

If Majors comes back. Cruz will be his backup and Cruz will take over after that

They gave Sark a 6 year deal with guaranteed 4 full years. IMO if he wins 10 this year they'll give him an extension for recruiting purposes. Maybe like 2 years.
2 year extension may as well be the kiss of death...and recruits and their families know this. It's either 4 to 4+ years or pink slip.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I really don't get the Sark angst. Mack Brown proved that if you acquire enough talent and hire moderately competent assistants, then you can win big at Texas. It ain't rocket surgery. That Herman and Strong couldn't figure that out just shows how out of their depth they were. This job has never been that tough or complicated. For fuck's sake David McWilliams, John Mackovick and Tom Herman each put together 10 win seasons here.

That said, the Kool-Aid overfloweth for this team, that admittedly looks great on paper... but there are still some big questions for me until I actually see it on the field:

1. Interior line run blocking was shit last year. I know they were young and should be improved, but still.
  2. Bijan made a lot of chicken salad last year. The RB room looks really strong but we've never really seen Brooks do much outside of garbage time. The rest are unproven outside of Robinson who is a gadget guy, essentially. There is a better than zero chance this team has trouble running the ball which is going to impact QB play and leads us to...
  3. Ewers was wildly inconsistent last year. With good reason, be it injury and/or inexperience, but he has a lot to prove.
  4. Dline depth was a real strength last year but Ojomo and Coburn are gone. Those two plus Ovie ate up a ton of snaps. I like the Minnesota transfer in the run game but can we rely on Collins and Broughton to play enough without drop off to keep everyone else fresh?
  5. Ford is the best LB we've had in ages, but the rest of that group looked lost without Overshown in the Alamobowl. Everybody else here is either really old and hasn't done shit or really young and hasn't had a chance to do shit.
  6. EDGE - is anybody really that comfortable with what is there right now? 

There are real reasons to believe that all of these things have been addressed through talent acquisition and development, but fuck if I am going to buy in to a bunch of bullshit practice reports telling me how great this team is. Show me. Don't tell me.

7vqlsb.jpg

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:
They gave Sark a 6 year deal with guaranteed 4 full years. IMO if he wins 10 this year they'll give him an extension for recruiting purposes. Maybe like 2 years.

2 year extension may as well be the kiss of death...and recruits and their families know this. It's either 4 to 4+ years or pink slip.

A 4 year extension on top of his already 6 year isn't a kiss of death. If they give him that after this season that is basically 4 more years

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

Bobby's quote:

Jake could decide to start his non professional football career.

Just now, txhorns said:

It has to be a 4+ year extension for it to matter.  It doesn’t have to be 4 more guaranteed years.  The guaranteed years is the most important thing.

There is no way a coach signs a non guaranteed contract. That's just the landscape. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Jake could decide to start his non professional football career.

There is no way a coach signs a non guaranteed contract. That's just the landscape. 

The point of four years is so that a freshman knows that he will have the same coach for his entire career here. Anything beyond that, for a guy with Sarks record, is excessive.  

if he actually wins then yea pay him 

23 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If Majors comes back. Cruz will be his backup and Cruz will take over after that

IF he comes back?

...why wouldn't he? he isn't big enough to go pro and that's fine. how often do guys who are 3 year starters typically leave school a year early? come on.

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Maybe the preseason camp thread isn’t the best place for you. 

The unbridled exuberance and optimism juxtaposed to the unrelenting catastrophizing and hand wringing is truly its own reward, but there are a few things I think that are of value:

1. injury reports
2. depth chart moves
3. players who are completely absent in the reports

Everything else I think is pretty much bullshit zero sum masturbation. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The unbridled exuberance and optimism juxtaposed to the unrelenting catastrophizing and hand wringing is truly its own reward, but there are a few things I think that are of value:

1. injury reports
2. depth chart moves

@Mitch Cumsteen's posts have been flashing and showing out all over the field when it comes to fall practice reporting. From those who would know, his posts have been more physically impressive and bought in than at any other point in Sark's tenure.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1. injury reports
2. depth chart moves

I get where you’re coming from. You prefer reading the analytical, objective posts that come from watching actual results on the field. 

Like game threads. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

A 4 year extension on top of his already 6 year isn't a kiss of death. If they give him that after this season that is basically 4 more years
The post I quoted says if he wins 10 this year they will give him a 2 year extension. 10 wins this year will at least be 4 years.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I think there is a good chance Hutson takes over for Majors by conference play.  Step one was getting Campbell to win the left guard spot.   

If majors can hold him off, great, that means our inside Oline play isn't a problem.

I think there's a good chance this doesn't happen by conference play 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I think there is a good chance Hutson takes over for Majors by conference play.  Step one was getting Campbell to win the left guard spot.   

If majors can hold him off, great, that means our inside Oline play isn't a problem.

Assume Campbell is the right guard (reminds me of the comedy special). There is a decent chance that Neto keeps pushing and takes the left guard spot. In this case I dont see Majors losing his job. I highly doubt Flood wants to play games with 3 inexperienced players in the middle of the OL (in Hutson's case, inexperience at Center). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Assume Campbell is the right guard (reminds me of the comedy special). There is a decent chance that Neto keeps pushing and takes the left guard spot. In this case I dont see Majors losing his job. I highly doubt Flood wants to play games with 3 inexperienced players in the middle of the OL (in Hutson's case, inexperience at Center). 

I don't think we have to assume 🤓

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hutson was one of the worst starting guards in all of P5 last year (he was significantly worse than Majors), he suffered a major shoulder injury that required surgery and kept him out of Spring ball, and he’s had extremely limited reps at Center, which is the most difficult position to learn on the OL. None of that adds up to him unseating a fourth year starter by conference play. 

But what about by the bowl game? /s

Edited by BurntOrange&White

44 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Conor Mcgregor GIF by UFC

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I don't disagree with the latter half of your statement, but there's no way a true freshman will be the back-up center with the pieces Texas' o-line has. If anything, they'd move Hutson over/bring him in if anything happened to Majors during a possible RS senior campaign.

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I think Herman is a better overall game manager than Sark, but his hubris and personality would've prevented him from ever being the recruiting juggernaut that Sark looks to be capable of and his stubbornness (and again hubris) led to some poor player evaluations especially in areas he considered himself as being an expert on (ie WR, OL, etc)

Herman also seemed adverse to the chase when going after elite recruits deep into the cycle. Of course some could argue that Sark's penchant for doing that is more or less a byproduct of the NIL/portal environment and our move towards the SEC. 

By year three of the Herman era if we’re paying attention the previous years and Texas has the ball past the 50 yard line, you could predict what play he was going to run with a high percentage of accuracy. 

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hutson was one of the worst starting guards in all of P5 last year (he was significantly worse than Majors), he suffered a major shoulder injury that required surgery and kept him out of Spring ball, and he’s had extremely limited reps at Center, which is the most difficult position to learn on the OL. None of that adds up to him unseating a fourth year starter by conference play. 

"Majors is the worst OL and needs to be benched!" is starting to get up there with "We HAVE to run a four-down front to fix the defense!" takes circa 2019 and 2021 in terms of persistent, pervasive, incorrect narratives.

21 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I was at the loss @ Maryland. Tom Herman couldn't manage that game to save shit. I'm surprised I didn't rush the field and get arrested for throwing haymakers on him. 

Not to be confused with the loss to Maryland at home. What a punch in the dick that was especially after it started with a Holton Hill pick 6.

Edited by TexEx15
  • Rage+1 1