2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

Nobody is beating out Majors this year

Someone could beat out Majors next year

Majors could move on to a different school if he sees the writing on the wall in the offseason. While Hutson is mentioned most often, there are others who'll also have a chance to compete there

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Which commercial real estate firm do you think he’ll be declaring to? I’d put my money on CBRE, but you can never count out JLL in this type of situation. 

I've heard rumors that CBRE is looking to trade down for a future #1 pick in hopes of landing Collin Simmons. 

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I don’t fancy myself as a herman apologist but that fuck had some pretty bad luck here or he may have turned things around.  Shows you what a great job this truly is

Bad luck? He had the misfortune of being a complete asshole who pissed off everyone around him. He also had the misfortune of bringing in a not-ready-for-prime-time staff that killed any chance of major success. That was the bad luck I saw, I guess.

4 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

OU has beaten the shit out of us with undersized midgets at running back.  I don't see why an undersized WR will do any worse 

Times change. This is not a good OU team. The reports coming from Norman are grim even as the writers are trying to spin their yarn into gold.

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Maybe my memory is fuzzy but I recall about 2 years into the Herman tenure that @closetojumping was a) convinced Herman would fail but b) was saying that despite that he got an A+ on roster building.

.500 ain't bad.

It's a bizarre tactic here to @ the one guy who was overt in shitting on the Herman hire from day one, and shitting on all of his assistants along with him, even while plenty of people on the boards shrieked as I did so. I was pleased with the classes that Herman signed for the most part, but there were always concerns for various spots. It's hard to be a fan of recruiting and just decide to hate everything the current staff, whoever they might be, is doing. 

That all considered, no doubt you had it straight the whole way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I've heard rumors that CBRE is looking to trade down for a future #1 pick in hopes of landing Collin Simmons. 

Not to derail this shit, but every time I talk to upper management guys at CBRE I get the impression I really fucked up my career path. They do pretty well and it seems like their entire job is to take REIT managers on fishing and hunting trips. I don't think I've ever seen any of them do actual work. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's a bizarre tactic here to @ the one guy who was overt in shitting on the Herman hire from day one, and shitting on all of his assistants along with him, even while plenty of people on the boards shrieked as I did so. I was pleased with the classes that Herman signed for the most part, but there were always concerns for various spots. It's hard to be a fan of recruiting and just decide to hate everything the current staff, whoever they might be, is doing. 

That all considered, no doubt you had it straight the whole way.

on a long enough timeline, Sam Bradford did indeed suck.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

on a long enough timeline, Sam Bradford did indeed suck.

I get the reference, but don't remember who was involved. 

If we're going down memory lane on stupid shit people have said, there's a litany of things that I actually have done. Bama didn't gargle anyone's balls as they won the national title. Etc.

I'll be reprising the tone of that classic in the next week if I have time because I think they're grossly overrated heading into this season, but I digress.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If we're going down memory lane on stupid shit people have said, there's a litany of things that I actually have done. Bama didn't gargle anyone's balls as they won the national title. Etc.

I'll be reprising the tone of that classic in the next week if I have time because I think they're grossly overrated heading into this season, but I digress.

I thought that was you for some reason.

About the only prediction I've made on this board that was football-related was Kyle Porter having a breakout sophomore season. Believe I even mentioned Heisman attention.

I'll hang up and listen.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Are we talking "bama" overrated or actual overrated?  For the past 15 years (2008-) they have reached #1 in AP poll at some point EVERY season, never finished outside the top 10, finished 1st 6 times and had average finish of 3.

So are we talking finishing season outside top 10? or outside top 5?  I could see them slipping into around 10, but they are still Nick Saban coached 5-star player revolving door.

On 8/13/2023 at 3:23 PM, closetojumping said:

A guy that played for years in the NFL was at practice yesterday. His takeaway was that if this team isn’t a playoff contender and conference winner, it took effort to fuck it up on gameday. 

So... Garrett Gilbert, then?

5 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Only Surly could spin “our head coach admits to getting writers block during big games” as a positive.

Never change, Surly.

Everyone fucks up all the time.

The difference between smart people and stupid people is that smart people admit it.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Times change. This is not a good OU team. The reports coming from Norman are grim even as the writers are trying to spin their yarn into gold.

I am amazed at all of the media outlets talking about how they all expect OU in the B12 title game in their preseason predictions to face us. This team was woeful last year, and yes they brought in a bunch of transfers, but they weren't difference makers outside of one or two. Jackson Arnold is probably going to be a dude, but there is no depth, they have no size on defense, and their receivers are a huge step down from what we have become accustomed to. 

If this is more of an indictment on the rest of the league for how down it will be, then we should be running through the conference like 90's Nebraska 55-10 type games. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am amazed at all of the media outlets talking about how they all expect OU in the B12 title game in their preseason predictions to face us. This team was woeful last year, and yes they brought in a bunch of transfers, but they weren't difference makers outside of one or two. Jackson Arnold is probably going to be a dude, but there is no depth, they have no size on defense, and their receivers are a huge step down from what we have become accustomed to. 

The reason blOU is mentioned as a good candidate for B12 Championship Game is their joke of a conference schedule... they don't play k-state, tech, or baylor

Screenshot_20230814-175937_kindlephoto-23434734.png.9652f844c6156077d10d0dec52a518b2.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

52 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Are we talking "bama" overrated or actual overrated?  For the past 15 years (2008-) they have reached #1 in AP poll at some point EVERY season, never finished outside the top 10, finished 1st 6 times and had average finish of 3.

So are we talking finishing season outside top 10? or outside top 5?  I could see them slipping into around 10, but they are still Nick Saban coached 5-star player revolving door.

I think they finish out of the top 10. I'll explain it in a thread that everyone can put to and laugh at when I'm proven to be an idiot again.

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If this is more of an indictment on the rest of the league for how down it will be, then we should be running through the conference like 90's Nebraska 55-10 type games. 

I think OU is getting picked to do well for two reasons:

1) Because they've earned that assumption (kind of like ranking this year's Bama team in the top 4). It's hard for folks to believe that they could be shitty for another season.

2) Their schedule is soft as Charmin. They might legitimately go something like 9-3 just because their schedule is pathetic. 

There are multiple teams in the Big 12 this year that will be better than OU, even though their record might not reflect it. Texas, TCU, BYU, and Tech all play far more challenging schedules and arguably have better two deeps than OU. KSU is flat out better than OU, but they also have a crazy easy schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The reason blOU is mentioned as a good candidate for B12 Championship Game is their joke of a conference schedule... they don't play k-state, tech, or baylor

Screenshot_20230814-175937_kindlephoto-23434734.png.9652f844c6156077d10d0dec52a518b2.png

I could still see these possible loss scenarios:

@Texas - Because we are going to expose their burgling asses

UCF - letting Texas beat them twice, coupled with Malzahn throwing the kitchen sink at them

Kansas - If they are healthy, they may give blowU a run

Ok State - Whatever magic Gundy has left he can fire in Venables' general direction since no TX this season

BYU - They won't be able to move them at all on the lines

TCU - Still a troublesome team and I am not sure Lebby can keep up with tape fingers in a shootout

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think they finish out of the top 10. I'll explain it in a thread that everyone can put to and laugh at when I'm proven to be an idiot again.

I think OU is getting picked to do well for two reasons:

1) Because they've earned that assumption (kind of like ranking this year's Bama team in the top 4). It's hard for folks to believe that they could be shitty for another season.

2) Their schedule is soft as Charmin. They might legitimately go something like 9-3 just because their schedule is pathetic. 

There are multiple teams in the Big 12 this year that will be better than OU, even though their record might not reflect it. Texas, TCU, BYU, and Tech all play far more challenging schedules and arguably have better two deeps than OU. KSU is flat out better than OU, but they also have a crazy easy schedule. 

BYU? I haven't seen them predicted to be much of anything this year (11th in the Big XII media poll) but I also haven't looked into it much.

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I could still see these possible loss scenarios:

@Texas - Because we are going to expose their burgling asses

UCF - letting Texas beat them twice, coupled with Malzahn throwing the kitchen sink at them

Kansas - If they are healthy, they may give blowU a run

Ok State - Whatever magic Gundy has left he can fire in Venables' general direction since no TX this season

BYU - They won't be able to move them at all on the lines

TCU - Still a troublesome team and I am not sure Lebby can keep up with tape fingers in a shootout

I cannot convince myself of Gundy beating OU. I've tried, but I can't get there. He's as big a choker in that game as every OSU head coach before him. It's such an "embarrassing" rivalry that they make ATM's rivalry record with Texas look respectable. This year, as mediocre as OU is, Okie State is probably a lot worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I cannot convince myself of Gundy beating OU. I've tried, but I can't get there. He's as big a choker in that game as every OSU head coach before him. It's such an "embarrassing" rivalry that they make ATM's rivalry record with Texas look respectable. This year, as mediocre as OU is, Okie State is probably a lot worse. 

Half of his team portalled. Not exactly a good sign for the future of their program.

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

BYU? I haven't seen them predicted to be much of anything this year (11th in the Big XII media poll) but I also haven't looked into it much.

We're talking about varying degrees of mediocrity. I think BYU will be bigger than OU, they have 3 seniors on their starting OL, Kedon Slovis is okay at QB, the TB is good, and there are multiple Pacific islanders dotting the depth chart.

The media ranking was just ignorance and sloth, IMO. WVU, Cincinnati, Okie State, UH, UCF and Iowa State are all easily worse-looking teams than BYU. I could argue that OU, Baylor and KU are all worse as well. That leaves Texas, Tech, TCU and KSU that I would say, heading into the season, have stronger rosters. KU will have better skill guys and they're going to play everyone tough, but they are thin on the depth chart and they don't have the bodies in the trenches, yet. We've discussed OU. Baylor is being given a benefit of the doubt that they haven't earned, in the media and on this board. Aranda's got to win with his own guys now and I don't see a lot that concerns me on that roster. 

• Hook 'Em 3

TSRH...a trained monkey could coach that schedule and end up with 3 or less L's.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

We won't find out if Venables is going to be any good with that schedule, but if he does turn out to be a disaster, we'll know it this year if he has more than two regular season losses. Just pathetic. I don't want to hear them complain about the 24 SEC×3 schedule ever again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Not to derail this shit, but every time I talk to upper management guys at CBRE I get the impression I really fucked up my career path. They do pretty well and it seems like their entire job is to take REIT managers on fishing and hunting trips. I don't think I've ever seen any of them do actual work. 

I am in the industry and worked for CBRE before JLL took over the account.  I tell myself I wish I found out about this shit 20 years ago 

• Haha 3

Just now, Red Five said:

Listening to Gerry and Bobby this morning, and apparently Sark said something about playing Hill at Edge. 

I heard that portion. Apparently working on certain packages for him to play edge and that he's cross training. I assume it will be obvious passing downs? 

Could see a package in that situation where you have Hill, Burke, Murphy, and Sorrel rushing the package. 

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Listening to the Sark presser it sounds like Kris Ross and Jaray Bledsoe are starting to put it together.

With Collins getting time at DE, have to think they've come up with a system that makes sense for Bledsoe to play there as well. No clue how Ross is going to get it done at 260 lbs. But pioneering a package/path that gets Bledsoe onto the field is half the battle, imo. 

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's hard to be a fan of recruiting and just decide to hate everything the current staff, whoever they might be, is doing. 

Have you blacked out all of your time on the recruiting boards ? A lot of people find this pretty easy :D

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

looking forward to the thread. i do think this year is the year we start seeing the cracks in legend widening. Last years bama team wasn't the usual and highly undisciplined. 

major questions about new coordinators, systems, and a big question mark at QB. last year should have been ours as it was, i think this years is ours to lose. 

Edited by BigHornedLurker

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I heard that portion. Apparently working on certain packages for him to play edge and that he's cross training. I assume it will be obvious passing downs? 

This has been the assumption for six months 

Glad to hear Sark's comments on Hill.  He is cross training at Edge, because he will be in pass rushing packages. Sounds like they see a talented player that is disruptive and will find ways to get him on the field, while he is still learning to play his position. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I was at the loss @ Maryland. Tom Herman couldn't manage that game to save shit. I'm surprised I didn't rush the field and get arrested for throwing haymakers on him. 

If I could have found Beck after the 2017 Tech game I would have been arrested for murder. But I would have liked my chances with the jury

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Glad to hear Sark's comments on Hill.  He is cross training at Edge, because he will be in pass rushing packages. Sounds like they see a talented player that is disruptive and will find ways to get him on the field, while he is still learning to play his position. 

He’s going to start at off ball