When was your "Annus Mirabilis"?

AnimalTobacco

I was reading an interesting bio of Isaac Newtown, famous for having his annus mirabilis or "miracle year" in 1666 when he came up with integral calculus and what would become his theory of gravity and just generally laying the foundation for much of what would come by way of natural philosophy, mathematics and science for the next 300+ years, and it got me to thinking-- when was my miracle year? Or have I yet to have one.

It is described he had the wild energy one has when passionately motivated and excited for their ventures-- whether it be striking gold or oil or working on a math problem-- and hardly slept that year with all the activity and work he was doing.

What was your miracle year like that set your life on the upward and positive direction? What did your miracle year look like that you were inspired and motivated and given the energy to accomplish all on your plate (and more!) as if that time was bestowed by God himself to springboard your life?

It maybe a PhD or night law school or even an invention.

It may be that start-up you founded and sold for millions or raised money for and ran.

It may be that year you published your first book or sold your first painting in a gallery.

It may be that year you worked to get partner at the firm or juggling infants and children while trying to grow your career.

Who knows I'm sure it's different for us all, it's just that year you can look back on and say, "Wow, that was a lot of work and effort but boy did it pay off and I don't think I can ever replicate that again, but I can point to my successes having their germ in the work and activity undertook in that year, that annus mirabilis"

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So did the OP forget to first post in one of the crypto threads?

I’m not sure what that meant, but thanks for your contribution to this thread at least!

Also didn’t realize this was such a long OP; maybe I should go back and edit it down some for folks who come to message boards to not read but to just repeat, ad nauseam, the same things for months and even years on end.

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

image.jpeg.eeb323fc631dd42cf65fe68ef16b6f46.jpeg

The first time I saw that meme was @bad_teammate, so I guess that was my miracle year.

Honestly though, and one of the reasons I posted this in earnest, is because I feel like I haven’t had one and I’m missing out on an amazing, transformative and exponentially valuable year. And wanted to hear about yalls and get some ideas.

• Fuck You 3

9 minutes ago, AnimalTobacco said:

I’m not sure what that meant, but thanks for your contribution to this thread at least!

Also didn’t realize this was such a long OP; maybe I should go back and edit it down some for folks who come to message boards to not read but to just repeat, ad nauseam, the same things for months and even years on end.

Well yeah, that's the whole thing about the Aurora Borealis.  They occur every few months per year on end.  Oh wait, you meant Aurannus Bomirabillis?  Auroranus Bomibillias?  What the hell were we talking about you sickie?  

11 minutes ago, AnimalTobacco said:

You’re not Isaac Newton and the vast majority of humanity, including most of us, just muddle through life trying to do our best. So the first step is to stop thinking you’re special. You’re mostly empty space, the part of you that is matter literally changes over time such that the “stuff” you were made of when you were born is all somewhere else now and has been changed for stuff that was previously in some bugs, some trees, some poop.

So maybe you aren’t even you and any sort of miracle year was accomplished by a different set of atoms. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You’re not Isaac Newton and the vast majority of humanity, including most of us, just muddle through life trying to do our best. So the first step is to stop thinking you’re special. You’re mostly empty space, the part of you that is matter literally changes over time such that the “stuff” you were made of when you were born is all somewhere else now and has been changed for stuff that was previously in some bugs, some trees, some poop.

So maybe you aren’t even you and any sort of miracle year was accomplished by a different set of atoms. 

Well, shit, I don't know about you, but I'm definitely not me.

That motherfucker is NOT real
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Very Ship of Theseus

• Haha 2

I had lots of zigs and zags in the road, (apparently some of my friends think having 80+ different jobs is odd,) but the first breakthrough open-brain moment I remember, I was in 4th grade. A day or two before, I eavesdropped on an old feller having one of those consarn-it-kids-today monologues that a child would normally ignore, but one thing leapt out at me, and I paraphrase:

"Kids today stay in school too long. If a kid can read and write, and multiply and divide, turn him loose and let him make a living."

Next day in Minimum Security Juvenile Prison aka Elementary School, where we did things like watch a B&W film about Pablo and his donkey in Ecuador, and did vocabulary quizzes, and math tests, and I was making A's on them... THAT moment, I had a fuzzy telenovela flashback to the Old Man talking "if a kid can read and write, and multiply and divide..." YES! THAT IS ME! Why am I still in school?"

I shoulda walked out. But they built a Star-Trekly modern annex where my 5th grade class was to be located. My revolutionary fervor was bought off with new carpet and the teacher who let me draw all I wanted.

Edited by RDCanecutter
consarn it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm not going to read all of that, but my "Annus Mirabilis" was about 6 months into my marriage, and then I had to wait another 16 years before I was allowed to do it again.

Always get the annus mirabilis before marriage.

• Haha 2

Mine was when I was 3. I was at a day care and scared to death to play musical chairs. I remember crying before the game started and my teacher aide taking me aside and explaining to me how it was just a game and not to be nervous. I then proceeded to make it to the final 2, me and another 3yo girl with one chair left. When the music stopped she was basically almost sitting in the chair and then I sat down as hard as I could and she flew off. I may have even pushed her. From then on I was the best at everything I did.  I learned what it took to be a winner that day. I still remember looking up at my aide and being so excited that I had played and won. I'll never forget the look on her face. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

When I saw my high school girlfriend’s boobs in real life it was so much better than I thought it would be and set me on a trajectory to regular boob seeing and touching as a primary Life Goal. And that goal turned into things like looking for a paying job and benefits and all sorts of things. Because I was not going to go back to a tits free life. 

So I’d say (year in 1990s when I saw boobs). 

Late 80's, my 6th grade year I was hanging out with a friend who lived in an apartment complex. We were standing under a tree after throwing a football. When there is banging from an apartment window right in front of where we are standing.

This older teenage girl waved at us and then pulled up her shirt to reveal what I perceived to be ginormous titties. She scooped them up with her hands and then smashed them against the window.

The beginning of the song "White Room" by Cream kicked in and my future flashed before my eyes where I would spend every waking moment trying to touch some titties. It took a little over a year until I met this chick Krisiti that let me play with her's in art class in 7th grade. It was magical.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yes! The first 20 seconds of the song it's all about the first time you see the titties. Then cut to scenes of doing push-ups, putting on multiple Swatch watches and throwing on a bunch of Polo cologne while debating between the Izod pullover or button up Polo then walking into Middle School pulling down your Ray Bans to make eye contact with 8th grade girls.

Ultimately, most nights you end up fapping to nude scenes from Hot Dog the movie and looking forward to a ski trip for Spring Break where you expect to touch some titties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 2

I first became aware of it, Animal Tobacco, during the physical act of love. Yes, a profound sense of fatigue - a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily, I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Animal Tobacco. Women sense my power, and they seek my life essence. I do not avoid women, Animal Tobacco, but I do deny them my essence.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

Ultimately, most nights you end up fapping to nude scenes from Hot Dog the movie and looking forward to a ski trip for Spring Break where you expect to touch some titties.

Meanwhile, us poors had to be content with driving down to Galveston and then driving back home that evening.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I first became aware of it, Animal Tobacco, during the physical act of love. Yes, a profound sense of fatigue - a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily, I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Animal Tobacco. Women sense my power, and they seek my life essence. I do not avoid women, Animal Tobacco, but I do deny them my essence.

Post-coital tristesse. I knew a guy that became a Catholic priest after experiencing it one too many times with his girlfriend.

For a more serious response, I majored in forestry and wildlife at about the worst time possible. I finished up school in the fall of 2009 when the economy was in the dumpster due to the housing crash. Of course, houses being primarily built out of wood, there was absolutely nothing out there in the field of forestry. Even folks who had made a good living with forestry for years were looking for a way to make ends meet. So there was no way I was going to find a job doing that. And wildlife, well that's one of those majors that lots of people do because it is a pretty cool thing to major in, but the job market doesn't support the number of folks who major in it. Especially when there is a major recession. 

So I worked a few odd jobs here and there and eventually went into operations at a chemical plant (way more money than I would have made with my degree). After a couple of years they decided to bring an R&D unit back up that did reactive extrusion. The original plan was to train an operator on each shift to run it, but it was a pretty complicated machine and you really had to know what you were doing to get it to run right. I was vacation relief at the time and there wasn't much vacation to cover, so I ended up training (which was more figuring out the best way to run it on your own) more than anybody else, and I had a pretty good knack for it. They ended up making me the sole operator on it once they realized that the other operators would have to spend so much time learning to run it while only training on their long weekends which only happens once every four weeks.

When I first went down and started running it, it was in a pretty sorry state. They had rebuilt it all wrong and there was no way it was going to do anything useful because it was incapable of maintaining any sort of steady state conditions. I was able to use my education to demonstrate to management what exactly was going on and figure out exactly what they needed to do to fix it. See, one of the fundamental aspects of both forestry and wildlife is figuring out what you have so that you can then make management decisions about what to do with it. Trees don't grow uniformly, animals don't stay exclusively on whatever property you are looking at. They die, new ones are born. You have to figure out a way to take all of that into account when you survey them before you can make any management decisions. Well it turns out that that kind of thinking is perfectly suited for R&D.

In my first year there, I was basically able to not only make the thing run properly, but also able to design experiments and design new ways of collecting data from those experiments so that what we learned from them would actually be useful. I'm not sure that I learned any more that year than I have any year since doing what I do, but it was by far the most transformative. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

45 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

For a more serious response, I majored in forestry and wildlife at about the worst time possible. I finished up school in the fall of 2009 when the economy was in the dumpster due to the housing crash. Of course, houses being primarily built out of wood, there was absolutely nothing out there in the field of forestry. Even folks who had made a good living with forestry for years were looking for a way to make ends meet. So there was no way I was going to find a job doing that. And wildlife, well that's one of those majors that lots of people do because it is a pretty cool thing to major in, but the job market doesn't support the number of folks who major in it. Especially when there is a major recession. 

So I worked a few odd jobs here and there and eventually went into operations at a chemical plant (way more money than I would have made with my degree). After a couple of years they decided to bring an R&D unit back up that did reactive extrusion. The original plan was to train an operator on each shift to run it, but it was a pretty complicated machine and you really had to know what you were doing to get it to run right. I was vacation relief at the time and there wasn't much vacation to cover, so I ended up training (which was more figuring out the best way to run it on your own) more than anybody else, and I had a pretty good knack for it. They ended up making me the sole operator on it once they realized that the other operators would have to spend so much time learning to run it while only training on their long weekends which only happens once every four weeks.

When I first went down and started running it, it was in a pretty sorry state. They had rebuilt it all wrong and there was no way it was going to do anything useful because it was incapable of maintaining any sort of steady state conditions. I was able to use my education to demonstrate to management what exactly was going on and figure out exactly what they needed to do to fix it. See, one of the fundamental aspects of both forestry and wildlife is figuring out what you have so that you can then make management decisions about what to do with it. Trees don't grow uniformly, animals don't stay exclusively on whatever property you are looking at. They die, new ones are born. You have to figure out a way to take all of that into account when you survey them before you can make any management decisions. Well it turns out that that kind of thinking is perfectly suited for R&D.

In my first year there, I was basically able to not only make the thing run properly, but also able to design experiments and design new ways of collecting data from those experiments so that what we learned from them would actually be useful. I'm not sure that I learned any more that year than I have any year since doing what I do, but it was by far the most transformative. 

Amen to that, brother!

My annus mirabilis was one time my ladyfriend and I were engaged in coitus in a hotel room after a few cocktails. Starting eating her out in 69, she came hard for a very long time, and her butthole starting contracting. It must have winked at me for a solid minute.

Stunning sight.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

My annus mirabilis was one time my ladyfriend and I were engaged in coitus in a hotel room after a few cocktails. Starting eating her out in 69, she came hard for a very long time, and her butthole starting contracting. It must have winked at me for a solid minute.

Stunning sight.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards