Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

This particular Braunschweiger comes from the locker we have all our personal use hogs processed at.  It's firmer than most, having a consistency a little more on the spectrum of a sausage vs a pate, which makes it really well suited for sandwich construction, IMO.
If for some reason anyone here is within an hour of Elma, Iowa, it's absolutely worth the side bar to load up on meat.  All of their products are as good as pork processing gets, IMO.

I worked for a company based in Des Moines a few years back. All hail the magnificence of Iowa pork. It ain’t “the other white meat”. It is ethereal in that it retains its essential porkiness. If you raise such hogs total props to you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I worked for a company based in Des Moines a few years back. All hail the magnificence of Iowa pork. It ain’t “the other white meat”. It is ethereal in that it retains its essential porkiness. If you raise such hogs total props to you.

The corn makes the hog, my man.  The corn makes the hog.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

For those who can't get the really good braunschweiger that AL4 posted, the best stuff I've found around here is this, available at HEB:

spacer.png

Man, they stopped selling that at my HEB about 5 months back or so, and I was fucking PISSED. Like super bitter. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

Found myself having great respek for the Danes when our friends told us of their go-to smorrebrod: liver paste (it's just braunschweiger) topped with crispy bacon, then some lingonberries for a sweet kick, on toasted rye bread.  It's finominal.

15d41676b1545395622a4800d84a8ebf.jpg

Ignore the fancy garnish. The Danes know their pork.

And now that I look at it, those may be sliced beets on top.  I dunno.  It was all good.  Every time I hit a smorrebrod place, that was my baseline order.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Found myself having great respek for the Danes when our friends told us of their go-to smorrebrod: liver paste (it's just braunschweiger) topped with crispy bacon, then some lingonberries for a sweet kick, on toasted rye bread.  It's finominal.

I'm not a big sweet/savory guy, but the braunschweiger/bacon combo sounds next level good.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

15d41676b1545395622a4800d84a8ebf.jpg

Ignore the fancy garnish. The Danes know their pork.

And now that I look at it, those may be sliced beets on top.  I dunno.  It was all good.  Every time I hit a smorrebrod place, that was my baseline order.

Looks amazing.  Wrong thread, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Underdog said:

Fideo easy to make?  Looks good. 

Yeah super easy and a ton of different ways to make it honestly. Grew up eating up almost daily because it was cheap and quick. Basically start with onion, and garlic in some oil, once cooked down a bit add fideo to fry a little, then hot water and some blended tomatoes or just tomato sauce and some of that knorr chicken powder along with other seasonings. I usually throw a jalapeno or 2 in it also but it doesn't matter, if I am feeling rich I will add ground beef and potatoes also but like I said tons of different ways to do it. Queso fresco usually on top as well but I had enough on the tacos this time

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yeah super easy and a ton of different ways to make it honestly. Grew up eating up almost daily because it was cheap and quick. Basically start with onion, and garlic in some oil, once cooked down a bit add fideo to fry a little, then hot water and some blended tomatoes or just tomato sauce and some of that knorr chicken powder along with other seasonings. I usually throw a jalapeno or 2 in it also but it doesn't matter, if I am feeling rich I will add ground beef and potatoes also but like I said tons of different ways to do it. Queso fresco usually on top as well but I had enough on the tacos this time

My family cooked it dry - just enough liquid to cook it, with no leftover broth. SOMETIMES we would do it soupy, but otherwise, the recipe you said with about half the liquid. Loved it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/15/2023 at 8:23 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Making homemade marinara and grilling at friend’s place. Hot dog off the grill topped with marinara, hamburger queso, and dill relish

5c748ceebe54e77621592629f4267860.jpg

Is Marinara + Queso a thing? Because it damn well should be. Though it probably comes out pure liquid on the other end. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Is Marinara + Queso a thing? Because it damn well should be. Though it probably comes out pure liquid on the other end. 

1 hour ago, deft said:

Italian Tex mex fusion? Now that’s what I call a taco!

I bet it tasted like America and freedom and fireworks and landing on the moon and hot go-go dancers from the 60s and rock and roll and jazz and more America and more freedom.

• Like 2