Big Trees in the PNW

cactusflinthead

I just got back from up around Eureka in Humboldt County. It's been on my list for a long time. I didn't care about fishing. But, there's plenty of that. 

I wanted to see the big old trees. Ferns growing out of the side of a canyon deep in the big woods.

I can understand why it is so isolated. Before the roads were paved it was an epic journey. Most of the ones that went there in the early days took a ship to get around the endless hills and countless rivers. 

Fern Canyon was pretty damn cool. The first part of it is easily accessible to even hobbling Nanas. The last of it is a damned obstacle course. It ended at this big ass fern that you had to grab ahold of and clamber up. Beyond that you would have to figure it out yourself. 

I wandered around in there for a while. I think the ravens were telling me to quit fucking around and find some more humans because they aren't going to come fetch you and that phone won't get shit for a signal. I agreed. I didn't want to make the news. 

Eureka has a lot of Fredericksburg about it. Shopping and cool old buildings. 

It was a helluva haul to get there to that clump of ferns in the big woods, but I would do it again.

PXL_20230812_190345087.jpg

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Being a Texan, I look at that, and I keep thinking "looks snakey and poison ivy-ey."  I'm sure it's not.  But it would take me a good half hour of hiking it to get past those thoughts.

I only saw birds. I was too focused on not getting impaled on the downed trees over the trail at the end stretch to really hunker down and watch. I suspect any self respecting reptiles or amphibians headed the opposite direction of white guy crashing through the woods.

22 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I use to go up to that area for work when I lived in Santa Rosa for a a bit 20 years ago.  Definitely a beautiful area, pretty sure I had a bear outside my tent camping up there one night.  

Its probably tough to sleep with YMCA blasting all night

queer-gay.gif.70daa29e204d0136d892c68ccbc42f14.gif

• Haha 2