Week 1 2023 - Rice @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

9 hours ago, SKA the boss said:

Thread derail:
Are they still going to do that pussy ass Journey shit at the game where everyone gets their phones out and sings, “Don’t stop believing….”?

An article on SI today covered the history of Wisky’s 3rd quarter “Jump Around”, and for real, our “thing” is … (insert your own derogatory explanatory word) compared to that.

I really hate that song. Why is it popular? It's the corniest thing i've ever listened to. Just never been into Journey.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair, Enter Sandman and Jump Around are also corny and overplayed in every context except VaTech and Wisconsin football games.

And don't get me started on Sweet fucking Caroline, a blight on human hearing. I thought I'd mostly escaped it when I moved from Boston, and it turns out it's UNC's thing too.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

How do universities get around licensing issues with those songs?  Sometimes you can hear them on television and it's not just ambient, background music.  The feed comes through the broadcast signal directly from the board.  not just something the guy's lapel mic picks up.  And the songs indirectly lead to revenue for the schools/vendors/ticketing entities.  I mean, nobody buys the ticket just because of the songs, but it's part of the gameday atmosphere, maybe fires you up to go buy another beer or whatever.  But beyond just the stadium feed, those songs are there on TV, on commemorative DVD's, on youtube repeats the following Monday, etc.  

What keeps Metallica/record label from filing a cease and desist order with VA Tech to stop using "Enter Sandman"?  I'm picking on them, they're probably cool with it, but there's gotta be some artist that doesn't like some school or asshole using their song to get the crowd fired up.  

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

And I know this summer has been well above normal.  But it's not like we've never had 100+ degree conditions at home openers before.  We're all just going to have to suck it up and hydrate with plenty of Coors Lite.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

And don't get me started on Sweet fucking Caroline, a blight on human hearing. I thought I'd mostly escaped it when I moved from Boston, and it turns out it's UNC's thing too.

They played that in DKR some time ago. 

Whether it's that song, Don't Stop Believin', Jump Around, or some other tune, Texas can't seem to make up it's mind what jingle they want to play to rally the crowd, and we certainly can't be original about it.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

To be fair, Enter Sandman and Jump Around are also corny and overplayed in every context except VaTech and Wisconsin football games.

At one point, UNC was playing Hell’s Bells at the start of the 4th quarter. Did they change it?

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

At one point, UNC was playing Hell’s Bells at the start of the 4th quarter. Did they change it?

I didn't notice when they played Sweet Caroline, or Hell's Bells for that matter (that's another one of those sports game standards that I barely register and never remember). I go to more State games than UNC ones, to be fair.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

They played that in DKR some time ago. 

Whether it's that song, Don't Stop Believin', Jump Around, or some other tune, Texas can't seem to make up it's mind what jingle they want to play to rally the crowd, and we certainly can't be original about it.

This comes up every year. And every year I will angrily climb up on my soapbox to complain about it. It won't change until someone with way more money than me beats CDC over the head with it.

The first time they played Don't Stop Believing was awesome. It was unintentional, organic, and the crowd (fueled by students) ran with it. Would I have chosen a better/edgier song if the goal was create a new turdition for UT?..absolutely, but that's a different discussion. But unfortunately, Bellmont saw a marketing opportunity (is there any other kind?), and now it's Bob Cole's 3rd Quarter Karaoke, brought to you by Mighty Fine Jetpack Man. This should be so easy, but we apparently have an obligation to turn every second of the experience into a three-ring circus and monetize it.

• Hook 'Em 7

This comes up every year. And every year I will angrily climb up on my soapbox to complain about it. It won't change until someone with way more money than me beats CDC over the head with it.
The first time they played Don't Stop Believing was awesome. It was unintentional, organic, and the crowd (fueled by students) ran with it. Would I have chosen a better/edgier song if the goal was create a new turdition for UT?..absolutely, but that's a different discussion. But unfortunately, Bellmont saw a marketing opportunity (is there any other kind?), and now it's Bob Cole's 3rd Quarter Karaoke, brought to you by Mighty Fine Jetpack Man. This should be so easy, but we apparently have an obligation to turn every second of the experience into a three-ring circus and monetize it.

I remember half-joking in real time “Watch us turn this into a thing we do every game where Bob Cole announces it before it happens”. Yep.
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I remember half-joking in real time “Watch us turn this into a thing we do every game where Bob Cole announces it before it happens”. Yep.

Fuck--I said that at the time, and I wasn't joking even a little bit.  It was completely predictable.

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Good lord guys, the 2019 lsu game was hotter than this sat will be

I almost died that day.  Was coaching in a baseball tournament all morning and afternoon and then went to that game.  Seats were on the west side.  Was staring at the sun for like 12 hours straight.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

whole lotta wussiness going on up in here.  you guys are complaining that its going to be too hot.  you're going to be sitting down, wearing comfortable clothes, holding a cold beverage, expending zero energy.  and your whiny asses want to lodge a formal complaint.  the players will be in full pads, practically running wind sprints for 3 hours, and theyve been doing it all summer.  all you gotta do is sit there and clap (if you can see yourself to it).  do as all a favor and stay home and give your tickets to someone with a little more grit in their character.

image.jpeg.0f7ca4e05152ff0800ec45635e43a7d9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

A couple of thoughts. Rice does not have a 15% chance of winning this game. And we're scoring more than 35 points. 8 for them sounds about right.

I was thinking the same thing. A win probability of 84% seems really low, especially considering how much most computer models seem to love us. 

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I really hate that song. Why is it popular? It's the corniest thing i've ever listened to. Just never been into Journey.

Journey was once a great band, but then they added that faget lead singer and went teenybop!  Muledick!