2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

3 hours ago, bullet said:

He seems like a bit of an asshole to me.  I've never seen anything that makes me think he is a terrific human being.  Now he is the greatest living college football coach and maybe the best ever.

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

The vast vast majority of players and coaches that win at legendary levels in sports leave something to be desired in the terrific human being category.  Not all of them mind you, but a LOT of them.

I think 99% of the "He's an asshole" comes from people who aren't Bama fans who're just sick and tired of watching them win all the damn time.

And then you look at how all Saban's former players and assistants treat him, talk to him and talk about him. Shoot... look at Sark and Bo giving him big hugs after the game.

But don't take my word for it, how 'bout some actual words?

Here's this article in 2011, quoting players about him:

In looking back over past interviews where I've asked what quality they like best in Nick Saban, the answers show that he is truly many things to many different people.

"He's the real deal, he won't sugar coat things or lie to you, you know where you stand with Coach Saban."

"He knows what he's doing, he knows what works and he gets all of us to buy into it. He makes everyone feel like they all a role to play."

"He works as hard as we do. We all work hard."

"He's more than a coach, he's like another father. He really cares about us as people, not just as players."

"He's taught us that life is more important than football, family is more important too. It's not just about getting us to be better football players, but better people. He wants us to be winners in everything."

But the one that sticks in my mind the most is from a player who left after the 2009 season, Marquis Johnson, who was Alabama's nickel back.

He said,"He knows how to build you up and pick you up if you have some failures. He's taught me that the real metal of a man is seen when he has to get up off the ground. Everybody has some bad times, but winners learn from them and come back stronger."

"If you give your all, he'll never give up on you, even if you made some bad mistakes. That teaches us to never give up on our teammates out there. It's all about picking each other up, building each other up, trusting one another." Johnson said.

Heh, or this one:

While most fans see the version of a stone faced Saban at the podium or him upset on the sideline, Forristall shares that he's pretty funny at practice and around the facility on more of a day-to-day basis, although the Tide's go-to tight ends adds that he could use some new material and he thinks he's actually more funny that he really is.

And so on: https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2020/12/14/watch-former-rb-bo-scarbrough-on-what-its-like-playing-for-nick-saban/

I think that people always looked at coach Saban as probably mean, always being serious or this uptight guy. Because when we stepped on the field, it was all business, and we came there to take care of business.

But coach Saban joked around a lot. A lot of the players like him. You can walk into his office anytime that you want to. You can talk to him about anything, and I have to say that coach Saban is a players’ coach. I believe that’s why we win so much is because the players like him, and players are going to play hard for a coach they like.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wood said:

NSIAP. While I was looking at responses in that thread, I saw this. George Teague is crying about some of our players merely walking across or being on the Bama logo at midfield. Absolutely nothing disrespectful happening there at all. What a bitch.

LOL the game must have extra hurt because the horns marched up and down that logo all night.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

Saban doesn't have great coordinators anymore.  He used to avoid brain drain by hiring replacements who were just as good.  He hasn't done that the last couple of years.  They haven't had a good OC since Sark left.

Saban hired Rees, the protege of Brian Kelly.  We spent many years grumbling about that offense.  Now both ND and Saban appear to have what they want. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, TheRRKid said:

There was a documentary a couple years ago about Belichick and Saban. Belichick came across personable and possibly fun to be around with his real life friends. Saban seemed like football is all he ever thinks about 

Is there a link to that on YT? I'd love to check it out.

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Such a good performance. A few perfect throws that were dropped, his only bad sequence was the end of the first half when we were backed up. Low throw to Sanders that should have converted a first down then a high throw to Worthy but with some pressure at his feet. Still need to get that ball down, sailing one in the middle third of the field when backed up is bad idea jeans. But watching that you get a sense of what a great game he had. Even his short screen tosses were right on the money, slightly in front of the receiver to get them moving upfield.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Such a good performance. A few perfect throws that were dropped, his only bad sequence was the end of the first half when we were backed up. Low throw to Sanders that should have converted a first down then a high throw to Worthy but with some pressure at his feet. Still need to get that ball down, sailing one in the middle third of the field when backed up is bad idea jeans. But watching that you get a sense of what a great game he had. Even his short screen tosses were right on the money, slightly in front of the receiver to get them moving upfield.

I feel like Brooks is having issues with depth perception. On both of his wide open drops this year he closes his hands before the ball arrived. 

The pass at 8:36 even though it was incomplete I think was an amazing pass.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

One of the most untalked about things during that game was our ability to jump on loose balls. Don’t even want to guess how many open fumbles we’ve had over the last 15 that bounce a weird way or the guy just doesn’t get it. Brooks got the sanders one early just in case and there were a couple more we got that in years past would bounced away. Made me happy to see those secured. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, WashHorn said:

Whatever else happens this season, damn if this wasn’t cathartic. 

Like all Sundays, I was a contented and attentive father and husband. I woke up early to clean up the kitchen of all the bourbon and queso so my wife could wake up to a clean house.  I played Ninja Turtle “sword fight” with my 6-year-old, played Minecraft with my 10-year-old, and watched terrible anime with my 13-year-old. I mowed. I napped. I was happy to provide, same as always. But goddamn if I wasn’t just a smidge happier and more graceful to my family today. It’s been so long since Texas football was an actual source of pride or happiness. It’s not necessary to my or my family’s wellbeing, but it sure as shit was something I forgot how much I valued the last 15 years. 

Thank you to the players and boosters who brought the right people together. It’s gonna be a good ride. I feel it. 

the-bird-cage-dance.gif

tumblr_mno86enGVF1riyisso1_400.gif

14 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

One of the most untalked about things during that game was our ability to jump on loose balls. Don’t even want to guess how many open fumbles we’ve had over the last 15 that bounce a weird way or the guy just doesn’t get it. Brooks got the sanders one early just in case and there were a couple more we got that in years past would bounced away. Made me happy to see those secured. 

And the dropped snap that Brooks picked up for a first down.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, WashHorn said:

Whatever else happens this season, damn if this wasn’t cathartic. 

Like all Sundays, I was a contented and attentive father and husband. I woke up early to clean up the kitchen of all the bourbon and queso so my wife could wake up to a clean house.  I played Ninja Turtle “sword fight” with my 6-year-old, played Minecraft with my 10-year-old, and watched terrible anime with my 13-year-old. I mowed. I napped. I was happy to provide, same as always. But goddamn if I wasn’t just a smidge happier and more graceful to my family today. It’s been so long since Texas football was an actual source of pride or happiness. It’s not necessary to my or my family’s wellbeing, but it sure as shit was something I forgot how much I valued the last 15 years. 

Thank you to the players and boosters who brought the right people together. It’s gonna be a good ride. I feel it. 

My fiancé would definitely agree with all of this. My only comment to you would be to tell your 13 year old to stop watching bad anime and find some good ones (there are..trust me..get over the cartoon part and focus on the story). I love this comment solely because of feeling 10% extra happiness. Maybe more but yesterday I got the “oh so you’re extra happy today” I said damn right 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Watching the video above I was thinking about that incomplete pass/fumble that the refs ruled incomplete. We would've gotten fucked by the big12 refs on that one for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, wood said:

NSIAP. While I was looking at responses in that thread, I saw this. George Teague is crying about some of our players merely walking across or being on the Bama logo at midfield. Absolutely nothing disrespectful happening there at all. What a bitch.

Uh, George, maybe you should be more disappointed in the number of times we crossed the 50 on top of your precious logo en route to scoring, dumbass motherfucker.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Side note: anyone else have PTSD when we had Alabama’s offense in a 3rd and 17?

I had it on the play that was like 2nd and 23 and we just gave them 12 yards on a shallow pass I think and then they got the 3rd after. Always pisses me off when we just give up 10 yards for a down. 

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

There's just one thing about this game that bugs me.

That last Bama TD, we had 3 guys in position to make a tackle, and they ended up taking each other out.

I wondered about that play a bit, but on 3rd watch, I see the pretty egregious block in the back to spring him free for the endzone. That corner had broken down and was ready to stop him, and they just let the block in the back go. That same drive there was a pretty bad hold on the right tackle that they let go too (during a Milroe big completion). It was a shit drive to keep the game interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to 2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN