RIP Charlie Robison???

bigbevo76

• bigbevo76 changed the title to RIP Charlie Robison???

Oh damn.  I was lucky enough to see him at Gruene about 2000.  I wore out his Life of the Party album in college at San Marcos. When I think back to college it seems like most of the memories I have on the square, at the River Pub or on the river were accompanied by music from either him or his brother. He had a song for every mood. 

Thanks for the memories.  Man Im sad.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Oh damn.  I was lucky enough to see him at Gruene about 2000. 

I was at that show.  I was dating my (now) wife.  She used to give me shit about me claiming I knew all kinds of Austin music people.  I mentioned I knew Charlie's guitar player (Kevin Carroll), after which she predictably responded with "yeah, sure you do".  We got in line for the Grist Mill, and out of nowhere the dude in front of us turns around and goes "hey Jim, how you been, it's been a while?"  It was Kevin Carroll.  lulz.  

That concert was fucking EPIC.

Thank you for all the fantastic songs and memories, Charlie.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

His wife confirmed it on Facebook, sucks!  I was going to an upcoming show.  He has looked really rough lately and canceled some recent shows.  Retirement did not treat him well, he popped back up and looked pretty different.  Definitely jammed him in college all the time.  

Edited by Hook1997

I haven't cried over a celebrity since SRV died.  My streak is broken.  I fucking LOVED this guy's writing.  Sonofabitch.

Smart, funny, poignant, the ultimate Texas songwriter.  Right up there with his brother, Guy, Willie, Townes, Jerry Jeff, Lyle, Billy Joe, you name 'em.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

My top 5 I think

Sunset Boulevard

My Hometown

El Cerrito Place

Loving County

Tonight 

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was at that show.  I was dating my (now) wife.  She used to give me shit about me claiming I knew all kinds of Austin music people.  I mentioned I knew Charlie's guitar player (Kevin Carroll), after which she predictably responded with "yeah, sure you do".  We got in line for the Grist Mill, and out of nowhere the dude in front of us turns around and goes "hey Jim, how you been, it's been a while?"  It was Kevin Carroll.  lulz.  

That concert was fucking EPIC.

Thank you for all the fantastic songs and memories, Charlie.

Edited by Post Oak

RIP. This hits me harder than I would have thought.

I know a girl here in Laredo, her name's Pussy Willow Rose
She got that ring around the collar, got that ring stuck through her nose
She works there at the Dallas Cowboys, but she's got no in between
Like all them other boys in dresses, they ain't every Cowboys dream

• Like 1

I have a pretty great “didn’t get to see Charlie that night” story.   

wife and I got married late (I was 36, she was 33) 

We went to Austin for my bachelor party. Got there by 10am Friday so we could watch day 2 of the Sweet 16.  Well, after a full day filling myself with the spirit(s), we’re walking from one place to another, and there’s Antone’s.  Charlie’s playing.  A group of 8 or so of us walk up to the doorman, and ask how much to come watch the show. My brother is the point man, and the guy says “it’s $25/, but that guy ain’t coming in”…pointing at me…

I walk up and say “hey mannnn, what did I do?   Why can’t I come in” 

he says, “bro, you’re swaying all over the place and leaning on everything in site”.  

I put my hand on his shoulder and say “Brother, I’m leaning on the promises of God” 

he literally falls on the ground laughing, says it’s the funniest comeback he’s ever heard, “and that I’m still not getting in”  

oh well    Saw him 2-3 times after that    But I’ll never forget my drunken Ron White retort to the Antone’s door man just trying to see Charlie. 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I just mentioned to my wife not 2 hours ago that I wish George Strait should go back to recording songs by Bruce and Charlie, instead of his son.... well fuck me... heartbroken, man

Edit: not sure George ever recorded a Charlie song, but he should have

Edited by Longhornstampede
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbevo76 said:

Hope what I see on Twitter ain't true. I come to surley to fact check and don't see anything.  Tell me I'm wrong.

https://twitter.com/galleywinter/status/1700984351578792239?t=Pr8dm5JGk6K00-WQ88BTKg&s=19

I saw him around 2000 at this Longhorn Club Tailgate event before an early game.  Nobody was really there so it was like a private show, albeit at 10am IIRC. He was a pro.  Saw him multiple times after that. 

Will be missed

I saw him once, about 15 years ago, and puked in the middle of the small dance floor he was singing to. He winked and pointed at me, knowingly.

I can't imagine he passed of natural causes, too young and troubled and artistically brilliant for all that, but I hate to speculate. 

He was my favorite country musician. Gotta appreciate REK while he's still here, I guess.

18 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I can't imagine he passed of natural causes, too young and troubled and artistically brilliant for all that, but I hate to speculate. 

You might be wrong.  Early word is "cardiac arrest", along with some complications.  Don't care, lost Charlie.

• Like 2

Dammit.  Too soon.

I raised my kids playing these songs in the truck - they sing along whenever he’s on.

I wish I could write like this:

Well he drove a Ford Fiesta
What the hell kinda car is that?
And he'd drive around here tryin' to flush out a queer
Or the man that ran over his cat.

We were in the Denver airport last night when my wife suddenly asked, "Did Charlie Robison die?"   I confirmed it and she started crying -- she knows Robyn pretty well.  When our plane finally landed and we got to our car at about 1am, I cued up all the Charlie songs on my phone for the drive home, and I had to skip Sunset Blvd because I could tell there was no way I was going to be able to drive with that song playing.  It did remind me how much I love the story in this song: