Week 3 2023: Wyoming @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

The Wyoming Texas Tech box score is wild. Tech outgained them by 100+ yards, won the turnover battle 2-1, was more efficient on offense at 5.4 yards per play vs 4.1, had better starting field position (including multiple times near the redzone), went up big early, and somehow lost the game.  Objectively, it seems like Tech should have won in a blowout. Reminds me of one of our games last year...

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 9/10/2023 at 6:09 PM, Mother mopar said:

Going to be interesting to see how the boys handle the fame this week. Even with that, I got horns 41-13

The team was jubilant in Tuscaloosa after the victory but not like App State beating top-ten A&M or even Texas beating Nebraska the first few times in the Big 12. They were more like a young lion running an older lion out of its territory. 

Bring on the next lion. 

There's a bit of dialogue growing tired in movies about murderers that may apply here.

This bastard slaughtered everybody in the house.

He'll do it again.

What makes you say that?

He likes it.

That sweet taste of a big victory, I believe, is just whetting the appetite of this team. I don't think they let down much after Alabama. I think they are happy in the battle like that young lion establishing his range. 

No complacence. 

spacer.png

This all feels so totally different than anything since 2010. I think things are going to be fun again.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The Wyoming Texas Tech box score is wild. Tech outgained them by 100+ yards, won the turnover battle 2-1, was more efficient on offense at 5.4 yards per play vs 4.1, had better starting field position (including multiple times near the redzone), went up big early, and somehow lost the game.  Objectively, it seems like Tech should have won in a blowout. Reminds me of one of our games last year...

game on paper comparison:

Spoiler

image.png.4a0a8b1cc229518305d33b3e035ea515.png

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm sure whoever this is covers it, but it looks inherently flawed this early in the season. OU will benefit from a 73-0 win that was statistically flawless but played against an absolutely inept and untalented opponent. It really has zero bearing on their season from here.

I expect them to go 10-2 because their schedule is so pathetic, but I expect Texas to beat the absolute shit out of them in the floor of the Cotton Bowl again.

It is not a good matchup for OU, at all. They have dogshit at WR, mediocrity at TE, and their TBs were highly ranked and don't play like it. Gabriel is fine if he's healthy, but that offensive line is meh.

Defensively, they are fast and little. If Stutsman is again their best player on defense, they're in deep shit.

Beyond all of that, they will not have been tested by the time they meet Texas on October 7. 5-0, thinking you're awesome, and then walking into the RRS against a team that won on the road in Tuscaloosa, played two other non-con teams heading to bowls, Baylor on the road and the best Kansas team in more than a decade should be an interesting experience.

everyone is inherently flawed w/r/t OU early in the season. literally every projection system out there has them way too high because of Gabriel's injury + historical recruiting. it's a known issue with most projection systems, or should be

they should be extremely concerned about the Cotton Bowl. if they go 10-2 with 2 losses to Texas including a blowout the heat on Venables is going to get very, very hot.

here is the OU ROS dashboard in case folks want to see how shit their schedule is rest of the year and where they likely finish despite being an extremely flawed team.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0109c68d2db6fec1d772d5343f79f769.png

look where they sit with composite rankings, everyone but beta rank has them very high. composite rankings has them as better than

Spoiler

F50rtrlXsAA-GNX?format=jpg&name=large

this is too high:

image.thumb.png.240b7bf715bb58df16b053a69d6d5412.png

o well, i will happily take them be over ranked, then see Texas blow the doors off of them in a month and hope that their AD give Venables more years.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, NoName said:

updated Kford dashboard. i think the OU game has flipped, was 45/55 and now is 55/45 vs OU?

image.thumb.png.66114b6d8f84516041110b4118285bab.png

and b12 standings:

image.thumb.png.7ec24d0a71e6ebad8b473d88cdee0e5b.png

Analytics loved OU for the Arkansas State win. They fell slightly with the SMU game and I imagine they will continue to do so, though still ranking relatively highly, as the sample size increases.

Texas is a bad matchup for OU even with Gabriel and will be favored for a reason. I fully expect the best version of OU in Dallas - you know OU has that game circled after last year and will leave nothing on the field - but if Texas brings comparable effort, they're the better team.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm sure whoever this is covers it, but it looks inherently flawed this early in the season. OU will benefit from a 73-0 win that was statistically flawless but played against an absolutely inept and untalented opponent. It really has zero bearing on their season from here.

I expect them to go 10-2 because their schedule is so pathetic, but I expect Texas to beat the absolute shit out of them in the floor of the Cotton Bowl again.

It is not a good matchup for OU, at all. They have dogshit at WR, mediocrity at TE, and their TBs were highly ranked and don't play like it. Gabriel is fine if he's healthy, but that offensive line is meh.

Defensively, they are fast and little. If Stutsman is again their best player on defense, they're in deep shit.

Beyond all of that, they will not have been tested by the time they meet Texas on October 7. 5-0, thinking you're awesome, and then walking into the RRS against a team that won on the road in Tuscaloosa, played two other non-con teams heading to bowls, Baylor on the road and the best Kansas team in more than a decade should be an interesting experience.

OU traveling to an undefeated Cincinnati for their Big 12 debut isn't nothing, so that is worth noting, but agree in general Texas will be the far more battle tested team. And it will be Gabriel's first RRS. First year QB's vs guys who have started there before have a terrible track record in that game.

I am hoping the Kansas game is at 11am. The one test this team won't have dealt with otherwise is an 11am kick (I am assuming OU will be 11am as it has almost always been the past decade). OU will have had multiple. Not a huge thing, but it would be nice to adjust to that and deal with any potential slow start issues the week before.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

if they go 10-2 with 2 losses to Texas including a blowout the heat on Venables is going to get very, very hot.

I don't see that. They went 6-7 last year. Their D already looks better. They know that this Texas team is really good. Sure you have some moutbreathing okie fans just like there's people here that want our coach fired every other game - but I doubt his seat gets "hot" when it comes to the AD and decision makers. Fucking John Blake got 3 years there. 

I'm also sure as shit not pencillng in a win in the Cotton Bowl until the clock hits zero. Way, way weirder shit has happened in that game than this OU team potentially winning this year. 

I'm also also not pencilling 10-2 in for OU. They could go 9-4 with a bowl win or 8-5 and then, yes, his seat would start getting hot.

19 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Canzez seems awfully low. They dominated a legitimate P5 program, which is more than most of the other teams at this point. They could easily finish 3-5.

Illinois looks awful. They will easily be a bottom 10 P5 team this season. Kansas was "sneaky good" last year and a meh Texas team went and blew their fucking doors off in Lawrence. Assuming you meant 4-5 but I'm not seeing 4 conference wins on that schedule. It could happen, though. They are much better than they used to be. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't see that. They went 6-7 last year. Their D already looks better. They know that this Texas team is really good. Sure you have some moutbreathing okie fans just like there's people here that want our coach fired every other game - but I doubt his seat gets "hot" when it comes to the AD and decision makers. Fucking John Blake got 3 years there. 

I'm also sure as shit not pencillng in a win in the Cotton Bowl until the clock hits zero. Way, way weirder shit has happened in that game than this OU team potentially winning this year. 

I'm also also not pencilling 10-2 in for OU. They could go 9-4 with a bowl win or 8-5 and then, yes, his seat would start getting hot.

i don't think they fire him but he is on the shortest leash they have had in a long time, they don't want to go to the SEC and suck and they have a really good AD.

Venables is who he is. if they don't do great this year he has to make staff changes on a staff that has some pretty funny hires on it and has a TON of room for improvement. Ted Roof is still there. DeMarco Murray is still fucking up recruitments left and right. Jay Valai is the co DC and Passing Defense coordinator.

https://soonersports.com/sports/football/coaches?path=football

i think they have 4 OU players on their coaching staff (Lebby, Finley, DeMarco Murray and the safety coach) which seems...less than ideal.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

i don't think they fire him but he is on the shortest leash they have had in a long time, they don't want to go to the SEC and suck and they have a really good AD.

Venables is who he is. if they don't do great this year he has to make staff changes on a staff that has some pretty funny hires on it and has a TON of room for improvement. Ted Roof is still there. DeMarco Murray is still fucking up recruitments left and right. Jay Valai is the co DC and Passing Defense coordinator.

i think they have 4 OU players on their coaching staff (Lebby, Finley, DeMarco Murray and the safety coach) which seems...less than ideal.

The thing is I don't think they can just hire the right guy and win anymore. And Venables is just their 2nd hire in over 20 years. The odds that you hire Bob Stoops again aren't super high. But, they may be ignorant of that and quickly turn BV into a scapegoat. 

I'm not privy to what they're doing with NIL but that's going to be as much of a priority as getting the right staff on campus. They're going to have to be very smart with what they do with that money. They recruited smart and developed really well for a long time - they'll need to keep doing that with the difficulty slider turned up. Forget competing with Texas/aggy/LSU - SMU and TCU have both got in on the ground floor of the bag game and are going to be a real pain in the ass. Even Tech is getting things rolling pretty nicely. 

I don't think they turn into Nebraska but they'll never have a stretch winning conference titles and playing in the MNC game or CFP the way they did in the B12 again. 

I could see them making a run at Deion. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

If good OL & Ewers show up again then this thing is going to get out of hand early. If one of them struggles it'll look a lot like the Rice game & probably end up with roughly the same score barring ST or D scores. I hope Sark continues to let Ewers build confidence, especially on shot plays, & this thing is put to bed before half.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, NoName said:

I could defend an argument that OU has the worst staff in the Big 12. That’s another reason I think Texas will beat the shit out of them. Those coaches quit last year in the RRS. I watched it and talked about it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I could defend an argument that OU has the worst staff in the Big 12. That’s another reason I think Texas will beat the shit out of them. Those coaches quit last year in the RRS. I watched it and talked about it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that. 

their staff is wild. they have some actually decent to good assistants (Todd Bates, Miguel Chavis, Joe Jon Finley, Emmett Jones) and then they just have absolute dudes (Murray, Valai, Brandon Hall, Ted Roof, Jeff Lebby) then you have a guy that wishes they would have just left for USC with Riley (Bill Bedenbaugh)

i still can't believe they knew Gabriel was going to be out and that was what they put out there for a game plan/result.

image.png.28b10c65244562ed659d2c450065370b.png

do you know how hard it is to be that bad?

you had a week to put it together and THAT is what you came out with?

OU in the 2nd half when the score was 28-0 already - 5 plays and gave it back on downs, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 plays - end of game.

that's among the absolute worst 2nd half i have ever seen. they averaged 0.82 yards per play in the second half. they averaged 2.7 yards per drive in the second half. they went 2-5 for 7 yards passing in the second half. somehow despite Davis Beevile going 5/8 for 32 yards in the 1st half they only gave Nick Evers 1 pass attempt. ERIC GRAY had two pass attempts in the game.

it was the single worst gameplan i have ever seen at the CFB or NFL level.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It is not a good matchup for OU, at all. They have dogshit at WR, mediocrity at TE, and their TBs were highly ranked and don't play like it. 

Their best RB against SMU was a walk on.  Demarco Murray is doing work.

I really don't want to over react to one game (especially after what they did to a terrible Arkansas State) but they were very mediocre against SMU. They were even in the stats, despite winning the turnover battle 2-0 and blocking a punt. They had to pull away late to win.

Lebby is starting to feel heat for his shitty offense and then he finished the afternoon by trotting his rape enabling father in law out on the field wearing Sooner gear. He defending himself post game with, "He's the father of my wife, the grandfather of my kids, and we were just celebrating with family" bullshit. And then he got his hand slapped by the AD and half assed apologized by saying he was sorry for causing a distraction. Not I'm sorry for what I did. I'm just sorry that I created a distraction. Fuck that tone deaf gravy training half wit. I hope we shut his ass out again.

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

it was the single worst gameplan i have ever seen at the CFB or NFL level.

Brent_Venables_Signing_Dayslomo.gif.869fc52f5016c0a16d96a018704b6567.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Not sure how we project to score 34 points at home against Wyoming a week after scoring 34 points at Alabama?

But, I think they'll score more than 8, too.  Something like 41-17 or 45-20 sounds about right.

I mean, it's not that black and white. We scored 37 against Rice.

As I said a few days ago, Wyoming has a defense that would probably be middle of the pack in the Big 12. Their big issue will be putting up enough points to hang around. A 37-10 or 35-10 type score should surprise no one, especially if we let off the gas pedal late like we did week 1. It's very possible we have control of the game throughout and Wyoming still covers the 28.5.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The look on Venables face in that game was very similar to the (in)famous gif of Charlie Strong. Just totally fucking helpless. That day was (borderline) erotic.  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

IIRC, they were just trying to run clock, early in the third quarter. 

Jay Valai is the co DC and Passing Defense coordinator.

giphy.gif

I had no idea. That’s wild. It was difficult to even talk yourself into him as a CB coach when he’d played DB and coached DBs under the defensive coordinator, who also coached safeties; basically an assistant DB coach in a system he’d known for nearly a decade. Co DC/PGC under a different system is crazy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

OU is losing to Texas, Kansas, BYU and someone else (maybe UCF, maybe Cincy, maybe tcu). I know their schedule is weak but they sort of suck, and teams that sort of suck and aren't ready to go 10-2 will find a way to lose 1 or 2 they shouldn't.  

Someone hasn’t paid any attention to how bad BYU is this year. I agree they drop more than 2 games, but it won’t be BYU. They’re going to be towards the bottom of the conference.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Someone hasn’t paid any attention to how bad BYU is this year. I agree they drop more than 2 games, but it won’t be BYU. They’re going to be towards the bottom of the conference.

BYU has the pigs in Fayetteville this weekend. Probably will know more about them after that.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

giphy.gif

I had no idea. That’s wild. It was difficult to even talk yourself into him as a CB coach when he’d played DB and coached DBs under the defensive coordinator, who also coached safeties; basically an assistant DB coach in a system he’d known for nearly a decade. Co DC/PGC under a different system is crazy.

dude he is making $700k this year, which puts him in the top 20 paid DB coaches in the country, which includes like 6 DC/DB coaches

also this is your quarterly reminder that Todd Bates has entirely too many titles:

image.png.eb880f2969f1c832913d8e0686c2dbe7.png

Edited by NoName

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sure.  But they are also grown men, I assume OU is basically the same group of front running pussies they always are, so it's on my radar as a game they could lose.  Basically they are losing to Texas, they are losing to Kansas and I'm going to call 3 or other games they have loseable and figure they will probably split the difference there and end up 8-4.  

• immamac changed the title to Week 3 2023: Wyoming @ Texas

Does anyone have any further news on Peasley? I think Bohl is an idiot if he plays him when he's dinged up. Wyoming has a good shot to go to a bowl if they have that dude healthy during their conference schedule.

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure.  But they are also grown men, I assume OU is basically the same group of front running pussies they always are, so it's on my radar as a game they could lose.  Basically they are losing to Texas, they are losing to Kansas and I'm going to call 3 or other games they have loseable and figure they will probably split the difference there and end up 8-4.  

I expect Kansas to be a toss-up game for most of the teams left on their schedule, simply because KU cannot play defense. KSU and Texas will make stops against their offense. Iowa State will probably handle them pretty well defensively, but KU will score enough to win anyway. OU, UCF, BYU, OSU, Tech, Cincinnati? Any outcome in those games that can be reasonably imagined wouldn't be a surprise.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

dropping this here because its the active thread

NFL Draft Film Room: 11 key plays from Adonai Mitchell and other prospects in Week 2

Mitchell:

This is the scouting skinny on Mitchell: He is a gifted athlete who is still figuring out how to play wide receiver at a high level. He is underpowered and needs to fine-tune his footwork and route tree. But even with some of the raw elements of his game, Mitchell is so naturally talented that he can alter outcomes. Stock way up on the Georgia transfer.

Worthy:

The concerns with Worthy as a pro prospect are easy to spot: He’s only 165 pounds, has too many drops and won’t win a lot of contested-catch situations (all reasons he didn’t make my preseason top 50).

But when focusing primarily on the best elements of his game, like his vertical speed and lightning-quick feet, Worthy has the traits to be a weapon in the right role. With his explosive long speed, Worthy is a well-known, dangerous deep-ball threat. But his tracking skills are just as impressive as his wheels.

text:

TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 09: Adonai Mitchell #5 of the Texas Longhorns celebrates his touchdown catch with Xavier Worthy #1 during the fourth quarter against the Alabama Crimson Tide at Bryant-Denny Stadium on September 09, 2023 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Spoiler
By Dane Brugler
Sep 12, 2023

Once the games end on a college football Saturday, my work begins as I pore through the coaches’ film of each game, taking notes and writing reports.

Here are 11 plays from Week 2 that help illustrate the skills of seven 2024 NFL Draft prospects:

Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

If you’re only going to produce three catches in a game, you better make them count. That’s what Mitchell did Saturday night, as the Texas receiver created passing windows against Nick Saban’s Alabama defense.

Catch No. 1: With Texas backed up on its own 6-yard line, quarterback Quinn Ewers found Mitchell down the sideline for a 32-yard gain and a first down. Alabama cornerback Kool-Aid McKinstry stays hip-to-hip in coverage but is late to find the ball, and Ewers fits it over his shoulder and into Mitchell’s hands. Nice finishing concentration by the junior wideout.

Catch No. 2: Matched up against McKinstry again, Mitchell runs a simple goal-line slant, and Ewers hits him for a 7-yard touchdown. It looks like McKinstry is expecting middle-field help, but the backfield action sucks up the safety (Caleb Downs, No. 2), leaving the wide-open void.

Regardless, McKinstry needs to be more competitive off the snap to disrupt the timing and force the receiver to play through contact. For a 6-foot-4 athlete, Mitchell has rare twitch to create immediate separation out of his sink and stem.

Catch No. 3: This is the knockout blow that essentially ends the game. Mitchell runs a stutter-go and shows off his special acceleration, leaving the cornerback in his dust. How many college wide receivers can make an Alabama corner look this slow?

Texas ran this exact concept on the previous drive, and it didn’t work. But with a weapon like Mitchell, the Longhorns went right back to it, and Ewers delivered a perfect ball.

This is the scouting skinny on Mitchell: He is a gifted athlete who is still figuring out how to play wide receiver at a high level. He is underpowered and needs to fine-tune his footwork and route tree. But even with some of the raw elements of his game, Mitchell is so naturally talented that he can alter outcomes. Stock way up on the Georgia transfer.

Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas

The concerns with Worthy as a pro prospect are easy to spot: He’s only 165 pounds, has too many drops and won’t win a lot of contested-catch situations (all reasons he didn’t make my preseason top 50).

But when focusing primarily on the best elements of his game, like his vertical speed and lightning-quick feet, Worthy has the traits to be a weapon in the right role. With his explosive long speed, Worthy is a well-known, dangerous deep-ball threat. But his tracking skills are just as impressive as his wheels.

Against Alabama, he caught the first touchdown of the night on this 44-yard moonshot from Ewers. Without breaking stride, Worthy locates the ball in flight, bends his path and runs underneath it for the Willie Mays catch. The end zone view better shows the difficulty of this play.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37-0.  I'm assuming Bohl will have his defense stunting and blitzing and giving Ewers a harder time than Bama (!).  That's good, since our OL  needs work on those.  Those stunts and blitzes short-circuit a few drives that end on the right left of Bert Auburn.   Unless we have multiple defenders fall down on the same play they aren't scoring.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Does anyone have any further news on Peasley? I think Bohl is an idiot if he plays him when he's dinged up. Wyoming has a good shot to go to a bowl if they have that dude healthy during their conference schedule.

Bohl made it sound like in his press conference yesterday that he was fine and would play Saturday. Peasley was supposed to speak with the media after Bohl was done (don't see that interview posted anywhere).

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

dropping this here because its the active thread

NFL Draft Film Room: 11 key plays from Adonai Mitchell and other prospects in Week 2

Mitchell:

Worthy:

text:

TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 09: Adonai Mitchell #5 of the Texas Longhorns celebrates his touchdown catch with Xavier Worthy #1 during the fourth quarter against the Alabama Crimson Tide at Bryant-Denny Stadium on September 09, 2023 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Hide contents
By Dane Brugler
Sep 12, 2023

Once the games end on a college football Saturday, my work begins as I pore through the coaches’ film of each game, taking notes and writing reports.

Here are 11 plays from Week 2 that help illustrate the skills of seven 2024 NFL Draft prospects:

Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

If you’re only going to produce three catches in a game, you better make them count. That’s what Mitchell did Saturday night, as the Texas receiver created passing windows against Nick Saban’s Alabama defense.

Catch No. 1: With Texas backed up on its own 6-yard line, quarterback Quinn Ewers found Mitchell down the sideline for a 32-yard gain and a first down. Alabama cornerback Kool-Aid McKinstry stays hip-to-hip in coverage but is late to find the ball, and Ewers fits it over his shoulder and into Mitchell’s hands. Nice finishing concentration by the junior wideout.

Catch No. 2: Matched up against McKinstry again, Mitchell runs a simple goal-line slant, and Ewers hits him for a 7-yard touchdown. It looks like McKinstry is expecting middle-field help, but the backfield action sucks up the safety (Caleb Downs, No. 2), leaving the wide-open void.

Regardless, McKinstry needs to be more competitive off the snap to disrupt the timing and force the receiver to play through contact. For a 6-foot-4 athlete, Mitchell has rare twitch to create immediate separation out of his sink and stem.

Catch No. 3: This is the knockout blow that essentially ends the game. Mitchell runs a stutter-go and shows off his special acceleration, leaving the cornerback in his dust. How many college wide receivers can make an Alabama corner look this slow?

Texas ran this exact concept on the previous drive, and it didn’t work. But with a weapon like Mitchell, the Longhorns went right back to it, and Ewers delivered a perfect ball.

Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas

Against Alabama, he caught the first touchdown of the night on this 44-yard moonshot from Ewers. Without breaking stride, Worthy locates the ball in flight, bends his path and runs underneath it for the Willie Mays catch. The end zone view better shows the difficulty of this play.

Regarding Mitchell on the goal line, I haven't seen clear footage of what happens to confirm what I believe I saw in real time above the play in the stands, but here's my view on what happened with McKinstry: He was trained to be so fearful of the jerk on the goal line to the point that he flatly didn't honor the inward cut by Mitchell. It was an easy 6 because of it. 

Texas has two guys that can stop and start on a dime, and do so with explosion. It enables the creation of a Sophie's Choice premise for a CB inside the 10 covering Mitchell or Worthy. You basically have to pick which thing you're going to honor - the slant or the jerk, and commit to that. The WR has the advantage of knowing where they're going and the timing is too tight for recovery. Everyone would love to be able to cause that kind of problem, but it takes special and specific skills in a WR to do it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Not sure how we project to score 34 points at home against Wyoming a week after scoring 34 points at Alabama?

But, I think they'll score more than 8, too.  Something like 41-17 or 45-20 sounds about right.

Nah man, we are going to absolutely smother them on defense. I predicted three points. Plus their QB is questionable to start the game, and he is probably one good shot away from going out. 

30 minutes ago, cafe society said:

37-0.  I'm assuming Bohl will have his defense stunting and blitzing and giving Ewers a harder time than Bama (!).  That's good, since our OL  needs work on those.  Those stunts and blitzes short-circuit a few drives that end on the right left of Bert Auburn.   Unless we have multiple defenders fall down on the same play they aren't scoring.

I just want the team to play smart and show they are different than previous teams who would use this game to fuck off and then have to scramble for the win. 

Show us a play-off team.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

The thing is I don't think they can just hire the right guy and win anymore. And Venables is just their 2nd hire in over 20 years. The odds that you hire Bob Stoops again aren't super high. But, they may be ignorant of that and quickly turn BV into a scapegoat. 

I'm not privy to what they're doing with NIL but that's going to be as much of a priority as getting the right staff on campus. They're going to have to be very smart with what they do with that money. They recruited smart and developed really well for a long time - they'll need to keep doing that with the difficulty slider turned up. Forget competing with Texas/aggy/LSU - SMU and TCU have both got in on the ground floor of the bag game and are going to be a real pain in the ass. Even Tech is getting things rolling pretty nicely. 

I don't think they turn into Nebraska but they'll never have a stretch winning conference titles and playing in the MNC game or CFP the way they did in the B12 again. 

I could see them making a run at Deion. 

He would be perfect for OU. I hadn't even thought about that. They've got a cocky culture that they back up more often than not. I think that's a great observation.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

He would be perfect for OU. I hadn't even thought about that. They've got a cocky culture that they back up more often than not. I think that's a great observation.

Yeah - he really is right up their alley. Down to being a Jordan brand team. 

4 hours ago, NoName said:

they went 2-5 for 7 yards passing in the second half. somehow despite Davis Beevile going 5/8 for 32 yards in the 1st half they only gave Nick Evers 1 pass attempt. ERIC GRAY had two pass attempts in the game.

Davis Beavis

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Lebby is starting to feel heat for his shitty offense and then he finished the afternoon by trotting his rape enabling father in law out on the field wearing Sooner gear. He defending himself post game with, "He's the father of my wife, the grandfather of my kids, and we were just celebrating with family" bullshit. And then he got his hand slapped by the AD and half assed apologized by saying he was sorry for causing a distraction.

And this is by a school whose former President was taking advantage of and fucking male students. Lebby's "just family" is an albatross around the necks of even a garbage university like Oklahoma.

49-0, RBs will be featured. I also think more TE work, trying different sets and spreading the field to get the TEs in the game for one more thing opposing DCs have to worry about.
Dline feasts and I am thinking a a lot of first half sacks lead to INTs, if Wyoming even decides to throw the ball.
Expectations from students, fans, administration, writers is high. This could start to cement who is playoff bound if Sark handles business and leaves no doubt. Rice is probably better than everyone thought but this is one of those sit your starters by the mid 3rd quarter and work on schemes and concepts with a "live" defense. Hopefully some good Oline rotation too to see what works and Hand did that well last year.
Just my .02 pesos

• Hook 'Em 1