Red Ash Austin got my mix tape

Deej

2 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I have always found Vespaio to be a bit more charming than Red Ash. 

I agree with this, and in dining at Vespaio over the last 20 years, it's always solid if not excellent.  But comparing my last two meals at each place, Red Ash was better than Vespaio. 

And I've always found Vespaio to be loud, but Red Ash was considerably louder.  #getoffmylawn

47 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I rue the streaming/soundcloud generation killed the mixtape, because the mixtape in the eponymous thread title was one of the funniest memes/jokes that didn't have a long window.

I still make mixtapes all the time.  They're just called playlists, now. I'm the master at them, it's kind of my special power.

Anyway, sorry to see this happen to Red Ash, I'm glad no one was hurt and I hope they can recover quickly. I also hope that the other spaces in the building didn't sustain too much damage from smoke or fire.

Sounds like Caddie pool hours at Bushwood.  Used to really dig that place before we had kids.  Don't have the time or money for it anymore.  But I imagine the patio still has a lovely view of that abandoned Burger King across the street.  So many real estate oddities in Austin.  

54 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Shit - the food across the street at The Restaraunt Formerly Known as Brick Oven has always been good. Obviously not really an anniversary type spot.

And that BK spot is bizarre. What does that lot even look like right now? I don't drive by it much. 

It looks like an abandoned Burger King with a chain link fence around it. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Tell you what, if you can knock back a couple of desserts I'll throw in some hats and shirts for the kids.

Wait, I thought he said if Candy can finish the rest, that he wants the cook to throw in some hats for the kids.  I can't remember but thanks for sending me down the youtube rabbit hole tonight.  sUCk MY WAKE! 

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Go for the fried chicken, the fries cooked in beef fat, and iced tea. Don’t touch the barbecue.

That's what I heard... fried chicken.  

Plus... I don't know why... I've always found the Bill Miller's signs nostalgic with the cartoon livestock.

As for Red Ash, get ready for reservations to be worse.

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Shit - the food across the street at The Restaraunt Formerly Known as Brick Oven has always been good. Obviously not really an anniversary type spot.

And that BK spot is bizarre. What does that lot even look like right now? I don't drive by it much. 

Man, I moved jobs early 2019, and used to be close to the downtown Brick Oven.  Used to go there all the time with my old man.  Sucks finding out they closed this way, but not surprised they didn't survive Covid.

7 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Man, I moved jobs early 2019, and used to be close to the downtown Brick Oven.  Used to go there all the time with my old man.  Sucks finding out they closed this way, but not surprised they didn't survive Covid.

They didn't close they just renamed it. And it was never the same owners as the brick oven on red river. 

27 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

That's the one I meant, RR Brick Oven.  I lost count how many times I went to the RR one.  Went to the one in NW Austin maybe 3 or 4 times.

Yeah - I knew what you meant. They were both called brick oven and served similar food despite being different restaraunts. Then the one on 35th changed it's name to... Brick Oven on 35th. Then a couple years back maybe they renamed to Cucina on 35th. Not sure if that also came with an ownership and menu change - but it still looks similar. 

For awhile I thought they had the best pizza in Austin. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

These days.....I wish I could argue with you.

The JCB breakfast sandwich at WB is the last bastion of superiority.

More then lately IMO, Whataburger is just not consistent, never has been

As for Red Ash, went a few times, walk up at 830 sit at the bar