Week 5, 2023: Kansas at Texas

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Everyone remember there is a big NIL tailgate before the Kansas game. Members from the Women’s Basketball and Men’s Basketball team will be there as well as a few staff members. We are trying to hit a goal of 38 sign ups for Texas one fund on a monthly basis on that Saturday so drop by and sign up there and enjoy some Pinkerton’s bbq, beer and seltzers from Faust distributing and their brands and dulce vida tequila. 

image.gif.edeb63653d742e1cc4f6dd8a6049583c.gif

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As recently as bama, our front 7 has shown a propensity to not take correct angles when a qb flees the pocket. I would like that cleaned up because I expect Daniels will be flushed out quite a bit.

That is largely because Milroe is freaky fast for his size and just outran our ends all night, and we had no film on Svoboda to know he was a better athlete than you would figure.

Edited by Vertigo

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As recently as bama, our front 7 has shown a propensity to not take correct angles when a qb flees the pocket. I would like that cleaned up because I expect Daniels will be flushed out quite a bit.

On balance they did pretty well with Milroe I thought. Lost right side contain a couple times but not disastrously so. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

On balance they did pretty well with Milroe I thought. Lost right side contain a couple times but not disastrously so. 

the DB's and LB's did clean up rather well on Milroe to keep him from huge gains.  I've noticed that recently that we are better at diagnosing when the QB is breaking pocket to run.  Hopefully that continues this week.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the DB's and LB's did clean up rather well on Milroe to keep him from huge gains.  I've noticed that recently that we are better at diagnosing when the QB is breaking pocket to run.  Hopefully that continues this week.

We're also better about giving a solid shove to the little arrow/shallow cross route before they are 5 yards past the LOS to disrupt timing. I have seen that multiple times this year on plays that would have been completions for positive yardage in 2021-22. Little things.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jalon Daniels only ran twice against us last year. He's not  heavily reliant on his running to be successful, but he can move a little bit. 

He also has a back issue, so if we hit him like we've basically hit everyone this year, he's not gonna be keen on running much at all.

We need to be ready to see both of their QBs. Bean is a better passer than Daniels, but is less dynamic.

Edited by Atticus

Probably already been covered, but this game worries me.

- 4-0

- Riding high on a #3 ranking

- Huge rivalry game the following week

- A Kansas team that is no joke

I could see this team having a letdown/trap game and getting beaten.  I've watched Kansas play a couple of games now and they are no slouch.  They aren't going to the CFP, but they don't suck and will not be an easy win if we lose focus and bring less than our A game.  

We are a far better team, and if we play our best vs. their best, we win by 2-3 touchdowns.  If we don't and they do, we lose.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Quinn is a pretty great distributor of the ball, but I don’t think he’s quite there yet as a true difference maker. Drives stall if execution isn’t perfect. He is sort of on that CJ Stroud development curve. CJ didn’t really turn it on until late into his 2nd year at Ohio State. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Quinn is a pretty great distributor of the ball, but I don’t think he’s quite there yet as a true difference maker. Drives stall if execution isn’t perfect. He is sort of on that CJ Stroud development curve. CJ didn’t really turn it on until late into his 2nd year at Ohio State. 

I’ve been hard on Ewers, but his footwork is showing signs of improvement. You can see it when he hits the deep balls – stands in the pocket calmly, moves forward, and then launches a bomb

1 hour ago, Hondo said:

- 4-0

I could see this team having a letdown/trap game and getting beaten.  I've watched Kansas play a couple of games now and they are no slouch.  They aren't going to the CFP, but they don't suck and will not be an easy win if we lose focus and bring less than our A game.  

We are a far better team, and if we play our best vs. their best, we win by 2-3 touchdowns.  If we don't and they do, we lose.

Pussy, Horns by 30!

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

There should be, but it won’t have much, if anything, to do with two years ago. 

A 2-10 Kansas team beat us in OT at home with a walk-on TE scoring the final TD. Our players were getting trolled by everybody. They should have been embarrassed. 

Me personally, I would have plenty of motivation to boat race this Kansas team based on 2 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

A 2-10 Kansas team beat us in OT at home with a walk-on TE scoring the final TD. Our players were getting trolled by everybody. They should have been embarrassed. 

Me personally, I would have plenty of motivation to boat race this Kansas team based on 2 years ago. 

I take it you’ve not heard Sarkisian speak. The focus will be on doing what needs to be done today, not worrying about something from two years ago that can’t be changed. All the more so after boat racing them at their place last year. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That all got exorcised last year in Lawrence. 

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I take it you’ve not heard Sarkisian speak. The focus will be on doing what needs to be done today, not worrying about something from two years ago that can’t be changed. All the more so after boat racing them at their place last year. 

Yeah, but that's coach speak. 

Sark is almost certainly reminding the team of that embarrassment from 2 years ago in Austin. 

Yeah, but that's coach speak. 

Sark is almost certainly reminding the team of that embarrassment from 2 years ago in Austin. 

Cool, cool, I’m sure he’s motivating Texas to play well because of something that can’t be changed from two years ago versus playing well to keep their goals for this season in front of them. I hope not, but maybe. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Cool, cool, I’m sure he’s motivating Texas to play well because of something that can’t be changed from two years ago versus playing well to keep their goals for this season in front of them. I hope not, but maybe. 

Why is this bad? 

People have said all the time that Michael Jordan would find reasons to hate opponents based on past results/experiences. That's what made him great. I hope to god Sark is saying stuff like "You remember that shitty Kansas team beat you 2 years ago at home. You going to let that fucking happen again?" 

Finding internal reasons to want to fucking boat race a team is good. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Why is this bad? 

People have said all the time that Michael Jordan would find reasons to hate opponents based on past results/experiences. That's what made him great. I hope to god Sark is saying stuff like "You remember that shitty Kansas team beat you 2 years ago at home. You going to let that fucking happen again?" 

Finding internal reasons to want to fucking boat race a team is good. 

It’s bad because he wants them to play with emotion, not emotional. He wants them to do their jobs, not someone else’s. You start talking about being worried about a game from two years ago and 18-22 year olds are just as likely to get geeked and fuck up than to play well. 

But, sure, maybe he’s playing up that game instead of playing up winning a championship this year. Again, I hope not, but maybe. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It’s bad because he wants them to play with emotion, not emotional. He wants them to do their jobs, not someone else’s. You start talking about being worried about a game from two years ago and 18-22 year olds are just as likely to get geeked and fuck up than to play well. 

But, sure, maybe he’s playing up that game instead of playing up winning a championship this year. Again, I hope not, but maybe. 

Agree to disagree. 

These things aren't mutually exclusive. You can tell a team to "play to our standard" while also motivating teams in other ways. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, who would ever use stuff from the past that's over to motivate a Texas team at home against Kansas? Doc Daneeka knows a lot more about being a winner than Vince Young, just ask him. 

I’m just going by what Sarkisian says his approach is, not that it is the only approach. And that maybe he is using it. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

11 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

After winning their second consecutive national championship in January, I think it was Nolan Smith of UGA who said “we wanted to prove everyone wrong that doubted us all season” even though they were the wire to wire #1 team in the country all season and everyone who covered the sport could tell they were the best team in America and wrote/said as much.

A good coach will use whatever works to get kids motivated, no matter how ridiculous it seems to us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Duane Moore said:

After winning their second consecutive national championship in January, I think it was Nolan Smith of UGA who said “we wanted to prove everyone wrong that doubted us all season” even though they were the wire to wire #1 team in the country all season and everyone who covered the sport could tell they were the best team in America and wrote/said as much.

A good coach will use whatever works to get kids motivated, no matter how ridiculous it seems to us. 

Again: maybe he is, though proving current doubters wrong isn’t trying to do anything about old games with a beatdown already in the books. But, maybe he is. JFC.

44 minutes ago, ousux said:

Scares ya to death.

He's a better passer no doubt, but is Jalon Daniels a bigger threat than Milroe when it comes to ripping off long runs?

They are terrible, we will win convincingly.

No. He's not quite the runner Milroe is, but he's really good at moving the chains, both with his legs and arm 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hondo said:

- 4-0

I don’t take the “riding high at #3” thing seriously at this point. We probably felt like hot shit after Bama and then had a little wake up call in Wyoming. Baylor was all business and I expect that to be the same going forward.

• Like 1

Kansas likely hasn't even played a top 50 team yet. 

ESPN efficiency has BYU at #51 and FEI had BYU at #55 prior to this weekend so it will probably drop. They've played nobody. I think the BYU result probably gives some people apprehension but BYU is not a good team even though you see their 3-1 record. 

36 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Should plaster photos of the opposing team giving the horns down from the past few years.  Plenty of material to choose from.  Everywhere in the locker room, our players will have to see punchable faces like this all week.

image.thumb.jpeg.e1b1f693001cb9f744568891328e4f80.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

25 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Should plaster photos of the opposing team giving the horns down from the past few years.  Plenty of material to choose from.  Everywhere in the locker room, our players will have to see punchable faces like this all week.

image.thumb.jpeg.e1b1f693001cb9f744568891328e4f80.jpeg

1) did all the uniforms only say Jayhawk?

2) wwIi vet?

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic