Iowa - Glorying In the Nepotism of the Ferentz Family

closetojumping

In the quarterback transfer portal/musical chairs/carousel, Tanner Mordecai from OU/SMU had his hand hit a defensive players helmet at the end of a throwing motion and left the game. The backup was Braedyn Locke who was prolific in HS at Rockwall before going to Mississippi State and then Wisconsin. He could spin the ball when he had time, but Wisconsin's passing game just isn't where Fickell or the staff want it to be right now. Wisconsin transfer Graham Mertz had the best game of his life leading the Florida Gators past South Carolina.

Wisconsin running back Braelon Allen was playing through injuries and left the game at times only to come back and he looked like a classic Badger big time running back. He dished out some hits when he collided with defensive backs and if he played the whole game he would've had a bigger impact, he looked like he aggravated an injury on this play, he just seemed to be leaving it all on the field to get this game and win the division

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, trza-hawk said:

In the quarterback transfer portal/musical chairs/carousel, Tanner Mordecai from OU/SMU had his hand hit a defensive players helmet at the end of a throwing motion and left the game. The backup was Braedyn Locke who was prolific in HS at Rockwall before going to Mississippi State and then Wisconsin. He could spin the ball when he had time, but Wisconsin's passing game just isn't where Fickell or the staff want it to be right now. Wisconsin transfer Graham Mertz had the best game of his life leading the Florida Gators past South Carolina.

Wisconsin running back Braelon Allen was playing through injuries and left the game at times only to come back and he looked like a classic Badger big time running back. He dished out some hits when he collided with defensive backs and if he played the whole game he would've had a bigger impact, he looked like he aggravated an injury on this play, he just seemed to be leaving it all on the field to get this game and win the division

DAMN

Iowa and Wisconsin combined for 849 yard of punting on Saturday.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401520328

image.png.cb75d12eb231cf37b5c39d4759ab9f26.png

Somehow, Navy and Charlotte out did that with 905 yards of punting.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401531405

image.png.c481b8a9af90f737d20e6cd58ac8e0df.png

I feel confident that the Ferentzs saw this and said, "Challenge accepted."

Edited by ScottS
ou sucks

10 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

So, if they finish 11-1 do they still shit can Ferentz Jr?

Should they? Absolutely. Former players have been pretty adamant that he is mostly despised and to use the nicest term he is not a coach anyone wants to have. By any objective measure his offense is a complete failure and an embarrassment to football. Doc Blanchard would even be laughing at this stuff if he were around.

Will they fire him? Probably not, because, nepotism is one heckuva drug.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

There is some absolute gold in that thread. 

The thing is Deacon Hill has insane arm strength. If the offensive playbook was more tailored to him and not the back of a restaurant children's menu he might have more the 140 passing yards over 2 games.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Haha 1

Thank you, but no. Kirk Ferentz is very old-school and believes players should stick to their position description: punters should punt, quarterbacks should hand the ball off, and receivers should block.

Kirk Ferentz: "There's a reason it ain't called a throwingback."

Kirk Ferentz: “The foward pass was a mistake!”

Yes, How might a fake punt pass by an Iowa punter turn out? public execution in the Children of the Corn fashion.

We faked a punt at Ohio State on 4th and long last year! Turns out, Ohio State has some fast players.

None of our receivers show up in the box score. Blocking doesn’t show up in the box score.

I've honestly not kept up with Iowa in some years from a watching perspective. Is it all nepotism that's driving how bad the Offense is? I feel like this team must be an extreme statistical anomaly in modern football. Is Ferentz secretly a warlock from 1920's football era?

Espn recently did a piece on the architects of the Air Raid offense. Maybe in 10years they’ll do a piece on Ferentz being the architect of something the exact opposite of the Air Raid offense.

The Ground Cover Offense: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Punt

Iowa Football needs to be placed on UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage List so it can be preserved indefinitely.

It was hilarious switching back and forth between this one and the Oregon-Washington game at the ad breaks.

What's worse, Iowa's offense? Or the Big 10 coaches that keep losing to it?

Edited by UpperWestside

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think Ferentz retires after this season. Go out on top before the tougher schedules don’t allow him to shelter Brian behind wins.

I have been thinking this as well. Otherwise I think he would at least be attempting to save his son's job. Seems like a ferentz move though. Have a "big iowa" season and then say fuck you see how you do without me. Before he gets a statue a few years down the road. 

Is there any rational explanation why the OC and his contractual point obligations gets credit for defense and special teams touchdowns? It seems to me that only field goals should count, and I'm okay not having to separate if the field goal resulted from a turnover within field goal range. But a pick 6 has literally zero to do with the offense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Is there any rational explanation why the OC and his contractual point obligations gets credit for defense and special teams touchdowns? It seems to me that only field goals should count, and I'm okay not having to separate if the field goal resulted from a turnover within field goal range. But a pick 6 has literally zero to do with the offense.

Depends. Do you consider nepotism to be rational? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This whole thing is a dog and pony show. Don’t try to apply logic to it.

Kirk Ferentz IS Iowa athletics. He’s there as long as he wants to be. Brian is there as long as he is. They won’t get the requisite amount of points, and that won’t effect Brian’s status.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Depends. Do you consider nepotism to be rational? 

Depends on your perspective. Judging from the plethora of apparent nephews employed in other aspects of the Entertrainment Industry, it certainly is rational from some perspectives. 

Is the Big 10 going to change up the divisions?  Part of Iowa's absurdity is that the West is so awful.  In 10 interdivision games between East and West this year, the East is 7-3 with an average score of 32-13 in favor of the East.  And of course Iowa misses Ohio State and Michigan.

And is there some bizarre rule where Iowa gets to avoid Ohio State most years?  They've played 3 times in the last 13 years.  And most of their best years in the Ferentz era, they missed both Ohio State and Michigan.

Iowa's seasons in which they've finished the season ranked since 2001 (Ferentz era):

2002 - #8 - miss Ohio St

2003 - #8 - played both going 1-1, losing to Ohio St

2004 - #8 - played both going 1-1, losing to Michigan

2008 - #20 - miss both Mich and Ohio St

2009 - #7 - played both going 1-1, losing to Ohio St

2015 - #9 - miss both Mich and Ohio St

2018 - #25 - miss both Mich and Ohio St

2019 - #15 - miss Ohio St

2020 - #16 - miss both Mich and Ohio St

2021 - #23 - miss Ohio St

2023 - #24 so far - miss both Mich and Ohio St

So in the last 10 years, their successful seasons are 100% correlated with missing Ohio State and 71% correlated with missing both.

The formula seems to be: continue milking 2002-2004, avoid Ohio St at all costs, and finish ranked in the years you miss both Ohio St and Michigan. Even including 2002-04, he's never beaten both in the same year. 

Maybe that's the best they can expect.  

18 minutes ago, ryskey said:

Is the Big 10 going to change up the divisions? 

Yes.  They are doing a divisionless schedule with rivalries protected.  The weird thing about it is schools have anywhere from 0 to 3 protected games.

Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska.

Which is one of the reasons I am not loving doing pods or something similar in the move to SEC.  It's better than divisions, but still gives consistent schedule advantages and disadvantages.

Right, and Iowa is the only school that has three. They definitely figured out how to continue avoiding difficult Big Ten schedules. 

It’ll be harder than it is, but until Minnesota and Nebraska get a pulse, it will be easier than everyone else.

That program just falls into unearned good fortune at a silly rate.

On 10/15/2023 at 6:35 PM, ScottS said:

Iowa and Wisconsin combined for 849 yard of punting on Saturday.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401520328

image.png.cb75d12eb231cf37b5c39d4759ab9f26.png

Somehow, Navy and Charlotte out did that with 905 yards of punting.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401531405

image.png.c481b8a9af90f737d20e6cd58ac8e0df.png

I feel confident that the Ferentzs saw this and said, "Challenge accepted."

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Leading receiver TE Erick All is done for the year, maybe Ferentz has an out. Gloriously named Johnny Pascuzzi has appeared on the depth chart.

They could just hand off every offensive down and win out.  Their defense and special teams are good enough, and more importantly, the Big 10 West is bad enough.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Parliament said:

Iowa City is a great example of a midwestern college town.  You have a vibrant city that's dominated by the university, good sports of some kind and country hicks (sorry ISU) coming in to drink Busch Light draft.

No need to apologize, that’s fairly true.  Same thing applies to Ames.  The main difference in Ames is the country hicks are going to school there.

More Ferentz AI this week:

This past game against Wisconsin, Iowa punter Tory Taylor punted 10 times for 506 yards. The guy had over 500 yards punting. Iowa had 37 yards passing. They won 15-6. This shit is fucking hilarious.

These jackoffs go:

-Minnesota

-@ Northwestern

-Rutgers

-Illinois

-@ Nebraska

-Big 10 Championship Game

It is pathetic that they get a chance to soil themselves on national television against the Big 10 East winner instead of the second place Big 10 East team getting another crack at that division's winner. Iowa is on the verge of being the worst P5 11-1 in history if they don't shit the bed against one of the remaining opponents, which they damned sure could.

• Haha 1

As much as Iowa gets mocked, they consistently find ways to win. Ferentz receives a lot of criticism for someone who has won as much as he has. I'd much rather have Iowa's style of play, which is about toughness and fundamentals, as opposed to Colorado's style, which is about flash and arrogance. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

More highlights from the Wisconsin game,

Braelon Allen puts a head down and shoves Schulte into next Tuesday:

The nine guys in the box defense that the Hawk offense often sees, because the downfield passing game just isn't there. If the offensive shifts and the line make their blocks then the back breaks one tackle and the other defensive backs are out of place and it becomes a foot race.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, z009 said:

As much as Iowa gets mocked, they consistently find ways to win. Ferentz receives a lot of criticism for someone who has won as much as he has. I'd much rather have Iowa's style of play, which is about toughness and fundamentals, as opposed to Colorado's style, which is about flash and arrogance. 

yeah it's called having a dogshit schedule.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, z009 said:

Solid false choice premise right here. 

Let's be clear - outside of the Big 10, Iowa doesn't get away with their bullshit on offense. They're 10-9 under Ferentz in bowl games versus mostly middling SEC teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, z009 said:

“Finding ways to win”.

Its called being in the Big 10 West and routinely missing OSU and Michigan 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, z009 said:

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, z009 said:

This post is fun wtf GIF by Mauro Gatti

6 hours ago, hookemATL said:

This post is fun wtf GIF by Mauro Gatti

So a 6-1 record isn't impressive? Look at the talent Iowa has and then say with a straight face that their record isn't impressive. Ferentz consistently does more with less. I don't remember ever thinking of Iowa as a respectable team before Ferentz got there. He is what Gundy is to OSU. 

2 hours ago, z009 said:

So a 6-1 record isn't impressive? Look at the talent Iowa has and then say with a straight face that their record isn't impressive. Ferentz consistently does more with less. I don't remember ever thinking of Iowa as a respectable team before Ferentz got there. He is what Gundy is to OSU. 

Hayden Fry was better than Ferentz.  He actually won the Big 10 outright a couple of times, and Iowa was a dumpster fire when he got there.

Ferentz took over a stable program and kept it remarkably consistent 

Edited by Al_4_ISU