Outcoached

Pancho

17 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Is this in some other thread that I missed? Where was the spy on Gabriel? Dude had runs up the middle all day and don't think I saw Hill on those plays. That smells like a dang coaching mistake. 

One of his important big runs was with Ford spying but his effort was, uh, not effective shall we say. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

@PilotsError you can keep negging away. We lost this one on lack of execution. The ass whipping we handed them last year they were going to be out for blood. Stop being a bitch.

That dork has probably neg repped hundreds of posters in the last year. Just lay back and enjoy it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

On display today was the same sloppiness that we’ve been starting games with (except Bama which was largely scripted and practiced for some time), 3 TOs though and almost won. My issue with Sark was going for the FG at the end. Should have tried for a first down not play for a FG. If time had run out great. We gave them too much time. It’s his flaw. I still maintain very few HCs have been able to be a HC and an OC and Sark seems like he can’t either. Jmo. Flame away! Great atmosphere as always but losing takes it all out of the fair. Fuck. Hope we can get a rematch and win Big 12. I know season isn’t lost but I had high hopes for today and like a sniper UT shoots my heart out every fucking time. 

Agree but still hoping for a great rest of the season. But since you mentioned it 

image.gif.4e4e39b754fc292c06e41ed297fe4175.gif

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I don't know the metrics to decide if we were "out coached" or not, but there were definitely a few head scratching decisions.

Those 4 plays from the 1 yard line are an obvious start, but as frustrating was the field goal drive at the end of the game.  I would have preferred to see the 4 minute offense so that we either scored with very little time left, or went to OT.  I felt like the offense was playing too fast.  There was always plenty of time on the play clock at the snap.  

And then going into prevent defense at the end of the game was so fucking frustrating.  I hate the prevent defense in that situation.

They were 1 first down short of running the clock all the way down.  So time management wasn’t the issue.  

as far as the third down call there, I understand it. Though I wonder if they should have snapped it when they caught ou off guard with the offense lining up. Felt like it was set up great since ou didn’t have a timeout. And you would need a stop either way with a minute left. 

I told myself before this game, that it'd be really hard to beat a good team twice.  Therefore, I reconciled that we should lose today, then win the Big 12.  That being said, watch the Pac 12, Big 10, and ACC have undefeated teams with the 1-loss SEC team getting the 4th slot.

We should probably stop thinking about playoffs at all until December.
  • Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Fickle people. The OL and DL played pretty poorly. Quinn played much better after the first quarter. Sark had his lunch eaten early, but he adjusted. 

OU came ready to play at every level. We shouldn't have been in this game, but instead we were up with a minute and change to go.

The defense shat down its leg when they needed to tighten up the most. It happens. 

Lots of big injuries too. 

The only way this was gonna be an easy game was if the OL/DL controlled the game like some expected. It didn't happen, we turned the ball over, and still barely lost.

I'm not fully convinced our OL isn't still a year away, or more, and Majors going down didn't help at all, probably explains all of the false starts, among other things.

I was pretty shocked at how ineffective the DL/front seven were after being so dominant.  When we can't get pressure, this is what happens with a PK defense, we saw it for a couple of years.

Surprised Burke has been such a non-factor since Alabama.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

1 yd line with bigger better players. Coach has little to do with not scoring. That's on players want to.

Not sure whether it was Sweat or Murphy, but on the first play from scrimmage, one of them just blew right into the end zone, didn't block anyone.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not fully convinced our OL isn't still a year away, or more, and Majors going down didn't help at all, probably explains all of the false starts, among other things.

I was pretty shocked at how ineffective the DL/front seven were after being so dominant.  When we can't get pressure, this is what happens with a PK offense.

The defensive line is what surprised me. I honestly didn’t think they could handle us. 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They were 1 first down short of running the clock all the way down.  So time management wasn’t the issue.  

Agree to disagree.  I think we went too fast the entire drive.  Probably could have wasted at least 40 seconds if they wanted to.  

But whatever, the game is over, so I just hope we meet them again.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

im just here for the overreactions

if we had won the fake punt would have been the most important call of the game

0u won both trenches

sark's sin was failing to burn the clock before sideshow's kick

still disgusted at our enchubbenment army - we fed fat girlfriends to our players for 2 weeks cooked in this very forum

everyone who was enchubbened beyond control should be ashamed of themselves

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Agree to disagree.  I think we went too fast the entire drive.  Probably could have wasted at least 40 seconds if they wanted to.  

But whatever, the game is over, so I just hope we meet them again.

Then again, part of what was letting us execute was tempo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Instead of hitting it up in the hole and putting a hat on the LB we double-teamed the DT and left the LB completely unblocked.

Bad execution.

Screenshot(399).thumb.png.39bb461ef7b98359a7576cac6dca9739.png

That's because a fucking defensive lineman was trying to execute the block. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Then again, part of what was letting us execute was tempo.

Perhaps, but I'm not 100% convinced.  OU seemed to be playing pretty soft coverage and Quinn was finding people wide open.  Was that because of tempo? Maybe, maybe not.

I guess we'll never know.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

You guys always say this when things don't go our way. We got outplayed. This game was won on the OFF SCRIPT plays. Period.

we had just as many fairpark-weird plays as they did

hell, sideshow bob found his knuckle-kick

ewers threw 2 picks and a fumble

we didn't get outplayed - but the majority of this board was rock-hard and fapping to the devastation our lines were going to wreak on 0u

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt said:

You run through the hole you are told to run through and hit whatever is there. Shit you learn when you are 10 yrs old. Not hard. Where it goes bad is when you think you see something so you abandon YOUR JOB to help someone else do theirs. Do YOUR job. Simple as that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Burt said:

You can show someone how to block when it comes to stuff like that. They definitely practice it. They are big enough to block the guys they were asked to block. They are used to being physical. They just failed to execute the block. Doesn't matter if they were an OL or a DL, they are a blocker period.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yup, everyone is already talking about a conference championship re-match. But I still see us dropping 1-2 more in the regular season.
It's a tale as old as time. Lose the OU game and think running the table is inevitable and just get them back in December. Except it never happens like that
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This series of plays should have its own thread. The master at misdirection proceeds to call absolutely nothing creative in this situation. This was such a momentum killer.

As mentioned earlier, I really expected Sark to try to pass out of the jumbo set on either 2nd or 3rd down.

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

You can show someone how to block when it comes to stuff like that. They definitely practice it. They are big enough to block the guys they were asked to block. They are used to being physical. They just failed to execute the block. Doesn't matter if they were an OL or a DL, they are a blocker period.

True that, but I'd prefer to have someone who blocks for living right there rather than someone who sheds blocks for a living....especially after the same fucking play had already been ran twice in a row and failed both times.

• Hook 'Em 1

What I’m tired of is the showing up to this game and we don’t have a fire to win it. Ou came in to get the 49-0 taste out of its mouth and we looked like we just got done getting each other off talking about how good we are. It’s the reason ou can string together 3-4 wins in a row and we can at best get two. This isn’t even a good ou team. Embarrassing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we had just as many fairpark-weird plays as they did

hell, sideshow bob found his knuckle-kick

ewers threw 2 picks and a fumble

we didn't get outplayed - but the majority of this board was rock-hard and fapping to the devastation our lines were going to wreak on 0u

We got outplayed. Ewers drops back and tries to throw a slant pass. AD Mitchell made no effort to fight for the ball and just got out-muscled on a fucking slant pass. JT Sanders was hit in both hands and the ball pops out and they catch it. Quinn, fighting for extra yards, takes a hit and fumbles instead of getting down before that hit. We had them covered and multiple times Gabriel escaped the pocket and run right by us when we had a guy there but couldn't make the play. On the last play as soon as they go in motion we should've called off the corner blitz but instead he blitzes anyway leaving the safety to choose between two players.

These are player mistakes. If we don't make those we win going away.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

We got outplayed. Ewers drops back and tries to throw a slant pass. AD Mitchell made no effort to fight for the ball and just got out-muscled on a fucking slant pass. JT Sanders was hit in both hands and the ball pops out and they catch it. Quinn, fighting for extra yards, takes a hit and fumbles instead of getting down before that hit. We had them covered and multiple times Gabriel escaped the pocket and run right by us when we had a guy there but couldn't make the play. On the last play as soon as they go in motion we should've called off the corner blitz but instead he blitzes anyway leaving the safety to choose between two players.

These are player mistakes. If we don't make those we win going away.

Honest questions, why does it seem like ou is more up for this game from a player perspective than Texas players?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

But that’s not a coaching issue!

Every time a player doesn't make a play it can be called a coaching issue. Every time. If a kicker misses a kick the coach didn't coach him up. Punter shanks it off his foot the coach didn't teach the player how to be consistent and never make mistakes. Lol

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Honest questions, why does it seem like ou is more up for this game from a player perspective than Texas players?

Did you say that last year when we won 49-0?

11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
13 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Yup, everyone is already talking about a conference championship re-match. But I still see us dropping 1-2 more in the regular season.

It's a tale as old as time. Lose the OU game and think running the table is inevitable and just get them back in December. Except it never happens like that

Texas is better than in previous years and the rest of the Big 12 is worse than previous years. Call your shot or stop being a bitch. Who beats Texas in rest of the regular season?

Edited by Serak The Preparer

We effectively had 4 turnovers in this game and they still needed a minute drive to win the game. The only thing Sark did that wasn't happy about was kicking the FG when he did. He trusted his defense, which has been nails all season, and they failed to get it done. Shit happens. 

Jerrin Thompson should have picked off Gabriel and he didn't. Jt Sanders bobbles a catch and it turns into a redzone turnover. Shit happens. 

This game felt like a bad loss, but they kept fighting and it wasn't force feeding the ball to Worthy. Sark called a pretty good game. Their guys just made plays on a regular basis.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Goal line playcalling retarded. Should have kicked the FG instead on the goal line. The 3rd and 9 call before the FG was bitch ass. Meanwhile, their defense line dominated. And 3 turnovers didnt help. Win out, and we'll get another shot at those mother fuckers.

• Hook 'Em 1