Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

we pretty clearly aren't going to agree here.

if you think there was and is no ongoing coordination with those groups then so be it.

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think that is what he is saying. They certainly coordinate to some extent. But there isn't a ton of evidence for the type of coordination suggested by that twitter thread, i.e., coordination to bring about a massive regional conflict. 

Thank you.

We're talking about two entirely different things.  And my comments have been specifically toward addressing the twitter thread, which draws a conclusion that isn't supported by the underlying facts (or even the opinions expressed in the New York Times article).  That conclusion is that Iran/Hizbullah are coordinating today as though there were some sort of unified command, and that we should expect an imminent expansion of the conflict.  

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Easier to say from the comfort of a high rise office in Austin when you don't have neighboring citizens with this philosophy on life:

"The Israelis are known to love life. We, on the other hand, sacrifice ourselves. We consider our dead to be martyrs. The thing any Palestinian desires the most is to be martyred for the sake of Allah, defending his land,"

How does that justify bulldozing the guy's pizza shop over a tasteless advertisement?

And don't you think such arbitrary and tyrannical exercise of power might give rise to the Palestinian sentiment expressed in your quote?

Look, man--I have long supported Israel.  I think my posting history reflects that.  And as a supporter of Israel, I am pretty comfortable saying that the policies successive Israeli governments have pursued--but none more vigorously than the Netanyahu Government--have been detrimental to Israeli security.

• Hook 'Em 9

Looks like the deadline is in about 20 minutes. I sure hope the elderly, the infirm, and all the children make it.

NYTimes article on some 500-600 US citizens stuck in the Gaza Strip with no way to get out.

On Friday, the Israel Defense Forces said civilians in the northern part of Gaza should evacuate to the south, “for their own safety and protection.”

“I feel like I’ve been abandoned by my country,” said Lena Beseiso, 57, who lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, and is caught in Gaza with her husband, two of her daughters and a 10-year-old grandson. “We’re American citizens and we’re not being treated as American citizens.”

John Kirby, a spokesman for the National Security Council, said that Israel’s blockade was for now preventing the American government from transporting its citizens out of Gaza. He said that the White House was in talks with Israel and Egypt about the safe passage of civilians out of Gaza, including Americans, but that no breakthrough had been reached.

“Right now, they — they can’t leave. So, we would have no physical means of permitting that transit out,” Mr. Kirby said during a press briefing on Thursday. “And so, that’s why we’re so actively having conversations with the Israelis and the Egyptians about a safe passage corridor so that people who want to leave can leave.

U.S. officials estimated that 500 to 600 American citizens were in Gaza.

For now, there is nothing to do but wait and hope and pray. Ms. Beseiso and her family, who are in Gaza visiting relatives, tried to flee on Tuesday, she said, but the Israeli military bombed the Rafah crossing to Egypt while they were there, shuttering it. The family was told to return to Gaza for safety, and Ms. Beseiso is now sheltering in a building with her 87-year-old mother-in-law. The family has no water or electricity, she said.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think that is what he is saying. They certainly coordinate to some extent. But there isn't a ton of evidence for the type of coordination suggested by that twitter thread, i.e., coordination to bring about a massive regional conflict. 

That isn’t how I read the thread or the NYT article.  My understanding is that there’s been active and ongoing collaboration by Iran and Hezbollah to train, equip, and encourage Hamas to step up their activity against Israel. And at the same time Hezbollah and Iran coordinated their own pressure and violence campaign to draw Israel offsides from focusing on Hamas and to take advantage of Israel’s fractured internal politics. I think all that’s really plausible and the NYT article is well-sourced. 

But they may not have been directing or planning this specific attack and what happened. And now that the extent of their involvement with Hamas is becoming known, this could lead to a regional war because of the strategy they implemented.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

That isn’t how I read the thread or the NYT article.  My understanding is that there’s been active and ongoing collaboration by Iran and Hezbollah to train, equip, and encourage Hamas to step up their activity against Israel. And at the same time Hezbollah and Iran coordinated their own pressure and violence campaign to draw Israel offsides from focusing on Hamas and to take advantage of Israel’s fractured internal politics. I think all that’s really plausible and the NYT article is well-sourced. 

But they may not have been directing or planning this specific attack and what happened. And now that the extent of their involvement with Hamas is becoming known, this could lead to a regional war because of the strategy they implemented.  

The twitter thread ended with this:

"My analysis: This extraordinarily detailed new reporting from the New York Times indicates that we may be heading towards a regional war whose architects are Tehran and Hezbollah."

I read that to be concluding that Tehran and Hezbollah intended to create and participate in a broader regional war. But I suppose the term "architects" is somewhat vague and could be argued doesn't necessarily denote a specific intent. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

spacer.png

Coincidently, A buddy sent me this today probably from facebook or reddit. I don't know enough about AR's other than owning a couple, but the story about leftovers from Afghanistan sure read like bullshit to me.  

Ah okay. I had heard they had M4s but that makes more sense. 

Yeah - anyone can get an old, piece of shit M16. Not really sure why they'd even be using those instead of AKs - although I'm assuming Israel is mostly firing NATO rounds so I guess it makes some sense.

Edited by ztejas

20 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The twitter thread ended with this:

"My analysis: This extraordinarily detailed new reporting from the New York Times indicates that we may be heading towards a regional war whose architects are Tehran and Hezbollah."

I read that to be concluding that Tehran and Hezbollah intended to create and participate in a broader regional war. But I suppose the term "architects" is somewhat vague and could be argued doesn't necessarily denote a specific intent. 

The architects line I initially read the same way you did, but then the tagline “with tensions escalating every minute, can the Middle East pull back from the brink” made me think the analysis was less targeted and specific. Leaving room that none of the actors were necessarily locked in to starting a regional war, but that Iran/Hezbollah had been the architects of the campaign to escalate tensions— now threatening to spiral beyond control. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ah okay. I had heard they had M4s but that makes more sense. 

Yeah - anyone can get an old, piece of shit M16. Not really sure why they'd even be using those instead of AKs - although I'm assuming Israel is mostly firing NATO rounds so I guess it makes some sense.

It's not just the rifle, it's the optics.  In many of the pics the rifles all have ACOG optics on them.  Those are more expensive than the rifles themselves and you can't really mount them on an AK without significant modifications.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's not just the rifle, it's the optics.  In many of the pics the rifles all have ACOG optics on them.  Those are more expensive than the rifles themselves and you can't really mount them on an AK without significant modifications.  

This 

edit: tweet links to wrong article, this is what it should link to.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/this-is-hezbollahs-arsenal-of-weapons-it-could-rain-on-israel

snippet:

The sheer scale of Hezbollah’s rocket armory is hard to conceptualize. Even back in 2016, estimates put its arsenal at around 150,000 rockets, a ten times increase over the roughly 15,000 that were said to be available to the group ahead of the 2006 Lebanon War. That number has since grown even larger. While estimates still vary widely, suffice to say Hezbollah has a rocket arsenal unlike any state actor, one they can quickly deploy to cause massive destruction in Israel.

Most of these rockets, however, are relatively small, short-range weapons, typically highly portable and without any guidance system. Nevertheless, even rockets of this type pose a threat to Israel and, when launched in barrages, they threaten to overwhelm IDF air defenses. At the same time, picking out these rockets before they can be launched and targeting them in a timely way is far from easy.

“The purpose of our rockets is to deter Israel from attacking Lebanese civilians,” Hezbollah’s Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah declared in 2006. “The enemy fears that every time he confronts us, whenever there are victims in our ranks among Lebanese civilians, this will lead to a counter-barrage of our rockets, which he fears.”

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rip76 said:

Apparently an Israeli Ambassador to China was attacked in Beijing.

Heard on XM.

sounds like it's someone who works at the Israeli Embassy, but NOT the Ambassador (US Amb is quoted in the 2nd article about talking to Israeli Ambassador about the attack)

there is video i believe, i'd avoid it.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-hamas-war-china-attack-d572e4169dd7f451cb2b2197506bc74c

A 50-year-old Israeli man who works at the Israeli Embassy in Beijing was stabbed Friday in front of a supermarket, Chinese police and the Israeli government said.

Beijing police said they had arrested a suspect, a 53-year-old foreign man. They described the victim as a family member of an Israeli diplomat. No motive was given for the attack, and it was unclear if it was connected to the war between Israel and the militant group Hamas.

“The employee was transferred to hospital and he is in a stable condition,” an Israeli government statement said, without giving additional details.

A video posted on social media showed a man with a knife grappling with another man on the ground and stabbing him several times, leaving a trail of blood stains on the sidewalk.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3237845/israeli-diplomat-attacked-beijing-street

A man has been detained after an employee at Israel’s embassy in Beijing was stabbed in a street in the Chinese capital.

Police in the capital’s Chaoyang district said the victim, 50, was also a diplomat’s family member and had been stabbed in front of a supermarket in the Zuojiazhuang neighbourhood at around 2pm on Friday.

They said the suspect was a 53-year-old who was involved in the “small goods business”, but did not provide further details such as the man’s nationality.

The Israeli embassy said: “An Israeli employee at the Israeli embassy in Beijing was attacked today (not in the embassy area).

“The employee is being treated in hospital and his condition is stable. The background of the attack is being investigated.”

+

Nicolas Burns, the US ambassador to China, said he was “shocked by the attack”. In post on X, formerly known as Twitter, he wrote: “I spoke with Israel’s ambassador to China, Irit Ben-Abba, and have offered our full support to the Israeli embassy and Israeli community in China.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

How does that justify bulldozing the guy's pizza shop over a tasteless advertisement?

And don't you think such arbitrary and tyrannical exercise of power might give rise to the Palestinian sentiment expressed in your quote?

Look, man--I have long supported Israel.  I think my posting history reflects that.  And as a supporter of Israel, I am pretty comfortable saying that the policies successive Israeli governments have pursued--but none more vigorously than the Netanyahu Government--have been detrimental to Israeli security.

Why do you feel the need to write this?  First of all, it is coming from Elon's Twitter, which is known for shit posting, misinformation, and outright bullshit being thrown about.  Trusting in any single post that is not from a reputable known journalistic source is silly.   Reacting to it is a bit stupid.    

Second,  not one single person on this website has ever said Israel passed a purity test.  That all their actions have been great and justified.   I like Sark, but I think he has fucked up before.  He just has to minimize the fuck-ups to be successful, not eliminate them.    I can both like him and be critical.   

Only idiots and computers think in binary.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They make an upper for them and in the Middle East shit gets modified pretty easily. With a lot of Chinese shit in the market, they are not as expensive as what we would expect to pay. Even back in 2008 in Afghanistan some on our security team had them mounted. We got them good ones, but the uppers were locally made. Check out some of the videos from Iraq. 

And that is another source for the M4's. To fight ISIS we gave the Iraqi's quite a few M4's. And ISIS got off with a bunch of them. That area is flooded with weapons more than a Mexican Cartel quinceanera or a Texas Lowes. Plus they make some bad ass knocks offs in Pakistan. Want a MG-34? They got them in Peshawar. 

• Hook 'Em 7

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep that would be the other reason. Didn't comment on that aspect as in those 3 photos they all have irons. 

54 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

spacer.png

Coincidently, A buddy sent me this today probably from facebook or reddit. I don't know enough about AR's other than owning a couple, but the story about leftovers from Afghanistan sure read like bullshit to me.  

The Russians, Chinese, Pakistanis, and Iranians all make AR clones.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/12/2023 at 11:55 AM, JesusSweatDuck said:

The hate you have to have in your heart to just mow down regular people going about their lives is unreal.  The bravery this man showed is also incredible, I don't know if I would be able to do the same thing.

It is amazing the things ordinary people can do when faced with extraordinary situations.  So many times the person "least likely" turn into heroes. Something just comes over them and without even realizing it,  they're in the middle of the shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Why do you feel the need to write this?  First of all, it is coming from Elon's Twitter, which is known for shit posting, misinformation, and outright bullshit being thrown about.  Trusting in any single post that is not from a reputable known journalistic source is silly.   Reacting to it is a bit stupid.    

Just for the record, it looks like it's a real story. I was reading updates from Haaretz (scroll down some) and came across this. I'm only posting to set the record straight on this minor distraction.

image.png.e42a58583bbd3fda9234dbaf0f36b63e.png

Original tweet reads "This is how older Jewish women will be humiliated," according to Google Translate. I'm guessing that was said sarcastically in response to the ad.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

They make an upper for them and in the Middle East shit gets modified pretty easily. With a lot of Chinese shit in the market, they are not as expensive as what we would expect to pay. Even back in 2008 in Afghanistan some on our security team had them mounted. We got them good ones, but the uppers were locally made. Check out some of the videos from Iraq. 

And that is another source for the M4's. To fight ISIS we gave the Iraqi's quite a few M4's. And ISIS got off with a bunch of them. That area is flooded with weapons more than a Mexican Cartel quinceanera or a Texas Lowes. Plus they make some bad ass knocks offs in Pakistan. Want a MG-34? They got them in Peshawar. 

No terrorist watchlists for me, thanks!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Just for the record, it looks like it's a real story. I was reading updates from Haaretz (scroll down some) and came across this. I'm only posting to set the record straight on this minor distraction.

image.png.e42a58583bbd3fda9234dbaf0f36b63e.png

Original tweet reads "This is how older Jewish women will be humiliated," according to Google Translate. I'm guessing that was said sarcastically in response to the ad.

Israel appears to be done giving a fuck. They're like, "they're gonna fucking hate us either way, may as well fuck their shit up"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, there are ACOGs available for cheap on Alibaba.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Yep, there are ACOGs available for cheap on Alibaba.

My only point is where are they all popping up from now?  Nobody would argue that they are a significant advantage over irons, especially in low light.  Were these gifted from whatever benefactor that is helping them?  If so, who and when?  It's the single most obvious tell that they are getting help.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I know--I've been in the ones in Downtown Houston.

This is what it is to live under a tyrannical foreign occupation.

I'm sorry if this offends people, but the military's ability to arbitrarily take and destroy your property, livelihood, and life with no notice, right to compensation, or recourse to the judiciary or other authority is the definition of tyranny.  

And I can hold the two thoughts in my brain simultaneously that (1) Hamas has committed monstrous atrocities and should justifiably be destroyed and (2) Israel has been operating a tyrannical occupation for more than a half-century that ought to end.

I’d like to argue that Israel has not occupied Gaza since 2006, but that’s a CR discussion. I will just mention that Israel has the same relationship with Gaza as its southern neighbor, Egypt, with the exception that Israel provides utility services to avoid a humanitarian disaster. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

My only point is where are they all popping up from now?  Nobody would argue that they are a significant advantage over irons, especially in low light.  Were these gifted from whatever benefactor that is helping them?  If so, who and when?  It's the single most obvious tell that they are getting help.  

Good question, but they are all over the Middle East. We have not seen a Hamas series of videos like these and in this quantity I do not believe.

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

I’d like to argue that Israel has not occupied Gaza since 2006, but that’s a CR discussion. I will just mention that Israel has the same relationship with Gaza as its southern neighbor, Egypt, with the exception that Israel provides utility services to avoid a humanitarian disaster. 

So does Egypt. There are transmissions lines and there is one open border checkpoint. That is where some of the UN aid comes through. 

• Hook 'Em 6