Seven Win Steve Rides Again!

closetojumping

29 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Amen to that, sister. I think we beat TCU and Tech, and we lose to KSU and Iowa State. BYU is the great unknown. We need to win this weekend to finish the regular season with 9 wins and pray for a bowl victory to get us to 10 wins. 

Iowa st lost to Ohio.  We better not lose to them 

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

The last National Championship team that had the HC calling offensive plays was 2013 FSU.

What is the point of this stat when the same 3 coaches (Dabo, Saban, Smart) have won 7 out of the last 9 national titles? It would hold more weight if different coaches were taking their teams to the top.

There is zero evidence or guarantee that taking away playcalling makes him a better "gameday" coach. What if it doesn't? Then you just robbed Peter to try to pay Paul. The list is a mile long of coaches who tried to "delegate" playcalling to make them a better "coach" and it didn't make a difference or made things worse. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Morton was a gametime decision on Saturday with an undisclosed injury as far as I can tell. Seems like he'll be back. That considered, the Tech OL and playcalling are going to lead to injured QBs for them all season. They're just bad. 

Look, it isn't like KSU is actually a good team. They're not. They're playing in a shitty league and they're one of the taller midgets, but that's about it. If Sarkisian can actually call a decent game against them, Texas simply overwhelms that defense. The more tape that comes out on the freshman will lead to better approaches to playing the guy. Still, I have no faith in Texas' defense at this point. It's just completely disappointing, so I expect a shootout and won't be surprised to be completely disappointed. 

Their secondary can’t cover for shit 

KSU and ISU are really the only two games that worry me. KSU is the better team of the two, but we seem to have something on them in the series lately and the game is at home. Plus they don’t run the kind of passing offense that can exploit our injured/deficient secondary and mediocre pass rush. 

ISU is the one that worries me. They are starting to sling it around and we’ll be on the road in the cold. 

ISU will be tough, but do they go 4-wide with a QB that can run? I’m not hugely concerned about the running QB except that maybe we overcorrect to that threat. That’s not KSUs style so they’re a bit less concerning.

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Iowa st lost to Ohio.  We better not lose to them 

That is a long way in the rear view. Iowa St can absolutely get their shit together and make it a game. In fact, you fucking know they will.

It is baffling how we see these same things happen every year and still make the same assumptions. These teams in this dumpster fire of a conference know they have no shot at a national title. They don't play to win every game. They spend September fucking around and looking shitty only to show up to big conference games in November and try to be the spoiler. And they usually have it all sorted out by then. It happens every year. Do not underestimate these shitty teams. They develop their talent well. And that talent knows that the big games against Texas and OU are where everyone, including NFL scouts, is watching.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

There are like 3 guys on headsets who have college HC experience. We have another guy as an analyst who has FBS HC experience. I’m sure game day duties are delegated and sark is probably the final decision maker on major decisions.
His ability to call plays is his super power, and if he doesn’t have that then he shouldn’t be the HC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What is the point of this stat when the same 3 coaches (Dabo, Saban, Smart) have won 7 out of the last 9 national titles? It would hold more weight if different coaches were taking their teams to the top.

There is zero evidence or guarantee that taking away playcalling makes him a better "gameday" coach. What if it doesn't? Then you just robbed Peter to try to pay Paul. The list is a mile long of coaches who tried to "delegate" playcalling to make them a better "coach" and it didn't make a difference or made things worse. 

That's where I'm at with Sark. His track record as head  coach is average at best. His track record as OC is well above average (at least when he has peak  USC/Bama talent advantages). But I really think the thing he enjoys most about his job is the OC stuff. Take that away and you probably just have a disgruntled HC who won't be as engaged with his job as he should be. 

I don't necessarily disagree that its too challenging for Sark, I just don't think stripping Sark of the thing he enjoys most will magically result in him being a better head coach. It either eventually works with Sark as HC/OC or we're going to be looking for a different HC. 

7 minutes ago, elguapo said:

If offensive play calling was a superpower of Sarks he would have managed to score from 1st and goal at the 1 against OU, and score more than 31 against UH.

Great logic. Go make your case to Kevin Eltife and everyone else who believe otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Young Shanahan is considered an offensive genius.  Curious how he compares to sark

Young Shanahan has been offensive playcaller for 2 teams that have made it to the SB, once while HC whereas Sarks nickname is seven win Steve so…

Edited by elguapo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

KSU is the better team of the two...   they don’t run the kind of passing offense that can exploit our injured/deficient secondary and mediocre pass rush. 

Howard can hit wide open receivers on crossers... if a team can throw a forward pass they can exploit this current Texas secondary and LBs. 😬 

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

You guys are fucking crazy.  We are 6-1 and about to get 7 or 8 dudes drafted and we have Arch Manning in the bullpen.  Holy shit some of you are hard to please.  

You’re confident against byu with MM for four full quarters? They’re gonna stack the box and force him to throw and if he throws passes this Saturday like missiles it won’t be good. Arch isn’t playing this year and if he does it will blow his redshirt. 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You’re confident against byu with MM for four full quarters? They’re gonna stack the box and force him to throw and if he throws passes this Saturday like missiles it won’t be good. Arch isn’t playing this year and if he does it will blow his redshirt. 

This guy won a fucking championship he’s not some bum who can’t throw the ball. Holy shit some of you are fucked in the head. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I'm so confident I fully expect him to throw a 70 yard bomb and catch it himself.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Casey thomphson ran a version of this offense and threw 5 TD's against blOwU, literally anybody can have a good game with this offense. So.....

Dumb And Dumber GIF

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It's impossible to take anything you say seriously when you don't even understand how redshirts work. 

Before you get confused and insist you know how redshirts work, let me help you. Arch Manning could play every single snap of football, including on special teams and defense, for 4 out of the next 5 games, and still fucking redshirt. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

I know everyone says Arch isn't gonna be around for 4 years.  Peyton was redshirting until there was an injury to 2 QB's, Eli redshirted and didn't start until he was a redshirt soph in 2001.

yeah I know times have changed but IMO, I think the family has a thought process which comes from gramps, who couldn't play as a frosh under the rules at the time.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I know everyone says Arch isn't gonna be around for 4 years.  Peyton was redshirting until there was an injury to 2 QB's, Eli redshirted and didn't start until he was a redshirt soph in 2001.

yeah I know times have changed but IMO, I think the family has a thought process which comes from gramps, who couldn't play as a frosh under the rules at the time.

I think the Manning family trusts Sark because they know he isn't going to simply coddle the kid and hand him the job because of his name. They know he's got a lot of talent and they know he will play when he's ready. Or until Murphy gets hurt. Whichever comes first.

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think the Manning family trusts Sark because they know he isn't going to simply coddle the kid and hand him the job because of his name. They know he's got a lot of talent and they know he will play when he's ready. Or until Murphy gets hurt. Whichever comes first.

yes, exactly.  and they aren't opposed to a redshirt and will probably tell him he needs to get his degree first.  he will play when the coach says he is ready and has won the job or if there is no other option. as you point out.

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

alex Grinch not only endorses this post, he’s putting together the game plan just in case.  

10 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm just happy to be putting guys in the NFL again and i'll be fine with 9 or 10 wins. The people that think we should roll out of bed every week and win big are idiots. We have not earned those expectations. How about let's put a couple of strong winning seasons together first.

Some of us have been saying that forever and yet get shouted down by the “WE’RE GONNA WIN EM ALL” crowd. Or the even dumber “this team is as good as 05” crowd.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I think we’re going to end up in a weird grey area for the year at like 9-3, No CCG appearance, loss to OU, but being able to point to extended starting QB absence and the win over Alabama, who at this point is looking like a 10+ win team and favorite to play for the SEC title out of the West.

Is that a success? I don’t even know.

It is a success in. But, you can also have some disappointment in how the whole season played out. The Houston game is the perfect example.

Missing out on the CCG is NOT success. It’s failure.

• Hook 'Em 1

And Tom Brady was behind Brian Griese at Michigan. Anyone who expected Arch to come in and start right away were either enamored with the family name or idoits. Mostly the latter. Having said that, if Maalik is struggling mightily (I don't expect that) I'd like to see him get a shot Saturday. I don't think he or his fam really give a damn about preserving the shirt, but they did and still do think it's best for him to watch and learn as a Freshman...but they aren't going to go apeshit if he's actually needed to play this year.

18 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

And Tom Brady was behind Brian Griese at Michigan. Anyone who expected Arch to come in and start right away were either enamored with the family name or idoits. Mostly the latter. Having said that, if Maalik is struggling mightily (I don't expect that) I'd like to see him get a shot Saturday. I don't think he or his fam really give a damn about preserving the shirt, but they did and still do think it's best for him to watch and learn as a Freshman...but they aren't going to go apeshit if he's actually needed to play this year.

who is saying they are going to go apeshit if he plays because he is the 3rd best QB and the first 2 get hurt or #2 is sucking ass?