Texas Chili Parlor

immamac

So I'm sitting here about to eat a delicious meal (pics incoming) and I'm listening to the most unhinged old man shit ever. 

This one guy is giving another guy shit because he doesn't hate RFK enough. They think RFK entering the race hurts trumps chances. They are talking like caricatures of people who make no sense at all and are just pure outrage. 

What kinds of stories do you have from here? 

IMG_2326.thumb.jpeg.087fd6c825be964f6ce86c22dafe58db.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

Not Texas Chili Parlor but several months ago at Los Tios in Houston, my son and I were subjected to a conversation in the next booth where the 3 old white folks were convinced that slavery wasn’t that bad for the slaves. Free housing and food. What’s not to like?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

When I was a stuntman I used to hang out there. One night a hot ass group of chicks came in and we proceeded to party. Sadly it ended up with me wrecking my car and one of the girls dying. They tried to hang me with manslaughter but I was sober as a judge. 

After that I laid low in Tennessee for awhile, which was a real fucking beating. 

Ummmm.......??????

I used to work right there and would get lunch at the bar a few times a week. Was great, even if it was loaded with assholes in flag lapel pins I could usually snag a seat at the bar and Brendan or Mike would slide my enchiladas and a Diet Coke in front of me in a matter of minutes, side of salsa. In and out in 15-20 minutes. No crazy stories really from being a lunch time regular. Totally independently of me, my in laws were/are regulars which was funny. Totally threw me for a loop one time at a barbecue at their house to see the long time waiter with the mustache and the rolled up pant leg (Buffalo bill, can’t remember his name right now although I should) out of context. We sold my wife’s old civic to one of the cooks. Still get bummed when I think about Jessica once in a little while (who was killed by a car while biking home from work late one night).

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, immamac said:

So I'm sitting here about to eat a delicious meal (pics incoming) and I'm listening to the most unhinged old man shit ever. 

This one guy is giving another guy shit because he doesn't hate RFK enough. They think RFK entering the race hurts trumps chances. They are talking like caricatures of people who make no sense at all and are just pure outrage. 

is the reason this is here because of the top-right corner?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I used to work right there and would get lunch at the bar a few times a week. Was great, even if it was loaded with assholes in flag lapel pins I could usually snag a seat at the bar and Brendan or Mike would slide my enchiladas and a Diet Coke in front of me in a matter of minutes, side of salsa. In and out in 15-20 minutes. No crazy stories really from being a lunch time regular. Totally independently of me, my in laws were/are regulars which was funny. Totally threw me for a loop one time at a barbecue at their house to see the long time waiter with the mustache and the rolled up pant leg (Buffalo bill, can’t remember his name right now although I should) out of context. We sold my wife’s old civic to one of the cooks. Still get bummed when I think about Jessica once in a little while (who was killed by a car while biking home from work late one night).

I'm pretty sure I sat next to you at the bar during my lunch break once while you were scrolling through Surly/Shaggy. I think I recognized you because you'd recently shown some vacation photos in the travel section, plus you were scrolling through Surly/Shaggy.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm pretty sure I sat next to you at the bar during my lunch break once while you were scrolling through Surly/Shaggy. I think I recognized you because you'd recently shown some vacation photos in the travel section, plus you were scrolling through Surly/Shaggy.

Bar security cam

IMG_1786.gif.bd5f13f5d0fa3de806af788794a85ed4.gif

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, bolverk said:

yeah almost certainly that was the case. or at least, that was probably after my then girlfriend and I's first europe trip and that was in my peak sit at the chili parlor bar during lunch and eat enchiladas while scrolling shaggy era

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

RFK

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I used to go there when Lee Harvey Oswald's daughter Rachel worked there, back in the late 80s/early 90s.  She was working her way through nursing school, and was cute and nice.  Didn't know who her dad was until I had eaten there for years, which is funny because I was into the JFK stuff at the time (Stone's movie had come out a few years before).

That's not much of a story though.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

yeah almost certainly that was the case. or at least, that was probably after my then girlfriend and I's first europe trip and that was in my peak sit at the chili parlor bar during lunch and eat enchiladas while scrolling shaggy era

Yup. It was the Eurotrip.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I used to go there when Lee Harvey Oswald's daughter Rachel worked there, back in the late 80s/early 90s.  She was working her way through nursing school, and was cute and nice.  Didn't know who her dad was until I had eaten there for years, which is funny because I was into the JFK stuff at the time (Stone's movie had come out a few years before).

That's not much of a story though.

I was going to mention that Texas Monthly interview she did while working there. This is even less of a story than yours. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Still think this is a bit. 

it's not - it was me, @Brisketexan, @Pescado_Rojo, @Kyrie Eleison and KE's fiancee-now wife.
We went to the Chili Parlor and they were out of Chili. It was like that Sesame Street when they tell Big Bird that Mr Hooper died, and Big Bird keeps asking when he's coming back. She said they didn't have Chili and somebody would say, "oh well I'll have XX," and she would say "again, no, I'm sorry we don't have Chili today."
Then she offered us "white chili," whatever that is. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Have overheard so many times the story about how the drink didn’t exist until after the song.

Not true. The song was released in 1995. The Chili Parlor opened in 1976. The heyday of the Mad Dogs was shortly after it opened. Guy Clark said they invented it because it was cheap. Back then, not too many people drank mezcal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Not true. The song was released in 1995. The Chili Parlor opened in 1976. The heyday of the Mad Dogs was shortly after it opened. Guy Clark said they invented it because it was cheap. Back then, not too many people drank mezcal.

Interesting - certainly I’d take your word on it but I’d heard from staff several times that it wasn’t a menu item until after the song. Maybe they’re misinformed, or maybe it just wasn’t officially listed on the menu until later.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

The Steel Shank thread is over in lulz.

5 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I was going to mention that Texas Monthly interview she did while working there. This is even less of a story than yours. 

Given the demographics of Surly and that she worked there from the late 80s through the mid 90s (maybe later, I stopped going in '94/'95 as I was not in Austin very much after that), I have a feeling that she served more than one Surly poster (who probably flirted with her as well).  Unfortunately, no photos from that time as far as I can tell.

My birthday lunch with family is always at the Chili Parlor. When my kids were little they would bitch about it (nothing fried!) but tough shit, it's my birthday. Now that they are grownish they still give me shit about celebrating my birthday at the Chili Parlor, but they love it. I catch them going with their friends, so passing the torch to the next generation and doing my part to keep old Austin alive.

• Hook 'Em 2

Love that place.  My only problem is XX isn't hot enough but XXX is too hot for my tastes.  I was hemming and hawing one day and the exasperated waiter said "look, I'll have  them make you a bowl of half and half".

Oh.  Good idea.  It was perfect.  /nocsb

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

A buddy and I thought it would be cool to eat there before seeing Guy at the Union Ballroom one night. We walk in and there’s Guy and Verlon in the back booth having a pre show meal. Shouldn’t have been surprised but we both thought it was cool as shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ny uncle proposed to my aunt there in the 80s, real romantic lol. It is where they first met.

CP used to have something on the wall to commemorate but it disappeared awhile back when CP moved things around.

Edited by pacman

11 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

it's not - it was me, @Brisketexan, @Pescado_Rojo, @Kyrie Eleison and KE's fiancee-now wife.
We went to the Chili Parlor and they were out of Chili. It was like that Sesame Street when they tell Big Bird that Mr Hooper died, and Big Bird keeps asking when he's coming back. She said they didn't have Chili and somebody would say, "oh well I'll have XX," and she would say "again, no, I'm sorry we don't have Chili today."

Truth GIFs | Tenor

11 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That was a menu item? I thought that was her nickname for Brisket

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3