Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

You sign bullpen guys and hope for the best. Look at a fucking scrub jag like sborz for an example. Had the month of his life in the postseason after a near 6.00 era in the regular season. 

I’ve seen us rumored to Soto or trout trade, is that just mlb rumor bullshit? That doesn’t seem like a crane move at all. I’m not sure we will do much with the lineup as they’re just hoping the bregman and tucker tandem actually plays up the their potential and we wouldn’t be needing anyone. I’m always down for more pitching and more depth so go get that and a decent backup catcher and let’s roll. I have zero confidence we will go sign or trade for some big bat though. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We need several bullpen arms. 

Do we?  
relievers are volatile. You have Presley and Abreu locking down the back end. Montero and Graveman have done it before and could again. Bielak, Whitley and blanco are sort of interesting as non leverage guys. RP are generally cheep at the deadline. I’d be ok with wait and see. 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

LMJ, Brown, Suaza, blanco, bielak will all get a shot 

Brown is a starter all the way unless he shits the bed. He will absolutely not be a part of the bullpen situation unless things go badly for him. 

Hopefully, watching Texas celebrate will inspire Jim Crane to have a serious offseason. Ya know, like having a GM in place for the winter meetings unlike last year. Complacency isn’t a trait of dynasties. 

You know there’s a GM in place, right?

13 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You sign bullpen guys and hope for the best. Look at a fucking scrub jag like sborz for an example. Had the month of his life in the postseason after a near 6.00 era in the regular season. 

I’ve seen us rumored to Soto or trout trade, is that just mlb rumor bullshit? That doesn’t seem like a crane move at all. I’m not sure we will do much with the lineup as they’re just hoping the bregman and tucker tandem actually plays up the their potential and we wouldn’t be needing anyone. I’m always down for more pitching and more depth so go get that and a decent backup catcher and let’s roll. I have zero confidence we will go sign or trade for some big bat though. 

They pretty much have to add at least one bat to play LF/DH.

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Was looking at Bowden’s top 40 FAs best fits and estimated contracts. The Astros were only mentioned with 2 players, Aroldis Chapman at 2/$12M with incentives and Jordan Hicks at 3/$30M. 
https://theathletic.com/5008102/2023/10/31/mlb-free-agents-2023-contract-team-predictions/?source=user_shared_article

If we end up with chapman and the rangers land Hader….

• Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

"Paying up" and getting FAs is how you end up with short windows followed by long droughts.  Paying up has done wonders for SD, Mets, Yankees, etc.  Go look at the used up corpses in Dombrowski's wake.  No thanks.

When I say "pay up" I don't mean spend money stupidly.  I mean actually bring his checkbook to the table and get the heck out of the way.  Plenty of teams get FAs and succeed, see Bryce Harper, Turner (after somehow they cheered him), Freeman, etc., really a lot of the bigger signings.  Maybe they aren't going to work out for 10 years, but you don't F your window because you don't want to MAYBE F up a future window.  You have to weight all the factors.  Guys can get bought out.  Guys can be traded with money attached.  Use your money wisely that you've earned, but you can't just hoard it.

Also, baseball owners are making money hand over fist.  They always have.  There is way, way more money out there.  The team economics for top half of teams could probably support $300MM payrolls pretty easily.  

It can't simply be "we don't sign long term contracts" that will not work out much longer.  Unless we want more 37+ guys on the roster.  That's the cost of doing business in today's baseball.  And Crane got very lucky with Luhnow and getting setup to succeed without it.  That's not happening again.  

I don't hate the idea of Chapman with our pitching coaches.  And if he's that cheap that's a no brainer.  Guy is volatile, but you can't teach 105.  You can teach some control and mechanic changes.

Montero was worth his contract this year.  Early issues notwithstanding, I still think that deal is going to end up looking very reasonable.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

You're already a sooner.  You can't afford mistakes like this.  Go clean your trailer and think about how you can be better.

Fair enough. I’m buzzed walking around with a backpack filled with snacks. Hard to click the right thread. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Constant said:

Fair enough. I’m buzzed walking around with a backpack filled with snacks. Hard to click the right thread. 

Enjoy man.  I've had a fun time watching videos of Rangers fans finally getting that same relief we did in 2017.  It really is crazy how sports affects us.  Hope you have a blast.

20 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Astros were extremely close to trading for Bryce Harper in his last year with the Nats.  Soto will have a huge salary ($30M+) his last time thru arb but it would not shock me if Houston was in the mix for him.  Crane would prefer not to go over the tax but he loves making huge moves.

44 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Astros were extremely close to trading for Bryce Harper in his last year with the Nats.  Soto will have a huge salary ($30M+) his last time thru arb but it would not shock me if Houston was in the mix for him.  Crane would prefer not to go over the tax but he loves making huge moves.

Tucker for Trout 

That’s good SP depth and should prove very valuable to balance the needs of the marathon (162 game regular season) to keep your bullpen semi-fresh for the sprint (October), but if the recent postseason (last 2 years especially) have taught us anything , it’s that the only thing that matters is your bullpen being hot for 4 weeks in October.

IDK how you build a roster to ensure that. 

12 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Tucker for Trout 

No thanks. Unless you want to see more Jake Meyer who will play because Trout is hurt again

33 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I don’t get people saying we need to chase another SP 

They must have recently wached ALCS games 6 and 7.

• Hook 'Em 1