The Steve Sarkisian WTF are you doing questionable playcalling thread........

Thatguy

We need a catch all thread where Steve can see our disapproval on either the play call, play design, or execution. I have been accused of being a sunshine pumper when it comes to one Steve Sarkisian and his playcalling. Well, I am here to tell you that my issue with him isn't the playcalling per se but the play design/execution, or the lack there of. We are 8 games in so we kind of know who can do what, who needs to be coached up on what, and what to stay away from. Now let me preface this by saying we have scored in the 30's in every game this year, so this isn't to say we are doing a bad job overall, just sometimes we have wtf moments.

Take this clip where Murphy throws the interception. I know ultimately Murph has to learn to eat this ball but let's take a moment to look at all the dumb-fuckery on this play. There is a lot so hold on. I will put the still up then the gif so you can see how the play unfolded.

This play is dead from the start. Pay attention to BYU's defensive tackles. They have a 3-tech DT between Banks and Conner in the B-gap, and a 1 tech DT in the A-gap between Campbell and Majors. The red lines indicate what gaps they are attacking. The blue lines represent what we are asking our O-line to do. We are going to ask our gimpy center to reach the 3 tech all the way in the B-gap, our RG Campbell to reach the LB firing in the A-gap, Our RT Jones to reach the 1-tech in the A-gap, our two TEs to double team the DE, and our LG Conner is going to pull all the way around to kick out the edge blitzer. Banks has his DE and Brooks is going to chip him to slow him down. You are asking a lot of un-athletic guys to cover a lot of ground and still handle a guy close to 300lbs, hell bent on getting to the QB. What could go wrong?

mm1.thumb.png.87467899c9ddcdb7079f05cf9db86963.png

The ball is on the 41. To reach guys in other gaps you have to give ground. So by the time MM has the ball the LOS has been relocated 3 to 4 yards backwards. Everyone except Campbell and the TE double-team is losing their battle. This puts MM into panic mode and he is looking to escape. Problem is the edge blitzer is right there and Conner, having to come all the way across the formation, is taking awhile to get to him. Now everyone at the same time say WTF is Worthy doing? Worthy comes off the line looking for someone to block. Except there is no one releasing behind him. MM is looking at Worthy like he is supposed to be running a route. Worthy never looks back until the pick happens. I think MM is trying to throw this away in the direction of Worthy but never sees the guy underneath. Bigger question is why are we asking our O-line to do this? There is a better way to handle this kind of blitz if this is simple play action, and what the hell was the play call and what went wrong?

847zym.gif.0b8045892076286d718ab322c8e7f479.gif

The same thing on the goal line when MM fumbled. I am not going to draw up everyone's responsibilities because its much like the play above. The important part is we are asking Conner to come all the way across the formation and kick out the DE. It looks like we are expecting the play-action to make the DE freeze, but they aren't abiding by the rules. This is the play we ran where Worthy comes across like motion or possible jet sweep but quickly pivots for a rail route. The play was wide open, but we failed to get to the DE and he ended up causing the fumble. It's to be noted that Brooks did a horrible job blocking. He basically got out of the way.

Screenshot(471).thumb.png.af11ba71aa3e75aee7c62c19a48daee6.png

I get this is supposed to look like run and that's why we are blocking it this way but at some point we have to figure out a better way to block it. When we get down around the goal line we need to throw out the slow developing plays. Rep the hell out of a smaller section of quick hitting plays until we get good a running them and use those. I am all for being physical. We just need to commit to it.

8480we.gif.8685302ee4e3c2b984f429c10813af8e.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

He needs to know the strengths and weaknesses of his team. The interior o line isn't moving shit at the goal line. They're not punching it in in 16 tries from the 2 yard line much less 4 tries. Take the points numbnuts. Otherwise, you look like a tom herman meathead.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

If only we could steal our opponents' signs, so we know what kind of trickery they'd be up to. 

Seriously, though, it's been uhhhh 63 years since the last time I actually practiced football, but I'm pretty sure my team never ran a play that we hadn't practiced pretty recently. Point being, Coach would have a good idea whether the guy playing guard could pull and cross behind three or four other guys and reach an unblocked enemy before he could get close to our QB. 

Years back, we had an OC we knew as GDGD, who once made a statement to the effect that he did not consider the specific personnel on the field when he was calling plays. We may be dealing with the same thing here. 

Damn.

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

If only we could steal our opponents' signs, so we know what kind of trickery they'd be up to. 

Seriously, though, it's been uhhhh 63 years since the last time I actually practiced football, but I'm pretty sure my team never ran a play that we hadn't practiced pretty recently. Point being, Coach would have a good idea whether the guy playing guard could pull and cross behind three or four other guys and reach an unblocked enemy before he could get close to our QB. 

Years back, we had an OC we knew as GDGD, who once made a statement to the effect that he did not consider the specific personnel on the field when he was calling plays. We may be dealing with the same thing here. 

Damn.

The problem is this particular schematic is flawed. I am sure it worked in practice but. They ran this play at Bama but didn't pull linemen. I need to go back and watch how we blocked it up when we ran it before. But what is wrong with the way we did it this time is we didn't align the tight end on the kick-out side. What that does is push the Blitzer out wider and gives the O-lineman more time to cut him off. By running that on the short side of the O-line the Blitzer has a straight line at the QB and that is not enough time pull and kick. If they run that play again they need to block it differently. Simple as that. 

Sometimes plays work in practice because you aren't going full speed with the 1's. Once you see how that unfolded adjustments need to be made. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The problem is this particular schematic is flawed. I am sure it worked in practice but. They ran this play at Bama but didn't pull linemen. I need to go back and watch how we blocked it up when we ran it before. But what is wrong with the way we did it this time is we didn't align the tight end on the kick-out side. What that does is push the Blitzer out wider and gives the O-lineman more time to cut him off. By running that on the short side of the O-line the Blitzer has a straight line at the QB and that is not enough time pull and kick. If they run that play again they need to block it differently. Simple as that. 

Sometimes plays work in practice because you aren't going full speed with the 1's. Once you see how that unfolded adjustments need to be made. 

Play 1 looks like MM expected X to run a quick out on a hot read. He did not.

Play 2 looks like MM didn't even see or expect the weakside OLB to come hot. That's on him.

He needs to cede control of the offense the school is fucked until he does so no matter what the sunshine pumps crank out on the delusional front.

Offensive game planning and play calling is the best thing he does on game day. If you take that off his plate you just eliminate the only advantage of having him out there in the first place. I don’t know why this keeps being parroted.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Offensive game planning and play calling is the best thing he does on game day. If you take that off his plate you just eliminate the only advantage of having him out there in the first place. I don’t know why this keeps being parroted.

I recognize that I am biased - I don't believe the head coach should call plays. That said, this gets parroted because Sark's title isn't offensive game planner and play caller. It's head coach. Sark the head coach isn't able to step in a tell Sark the play caller not to do dumb shit like run it 4 times on the goal line.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2023 at 11:31 PM, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Do you guys actually go back and study film or something? I view the line’s success as a whole and don’t spend any time trying to diagnose the individual issues as if I have a role in fixing them. I’m not making fun of your hobby or anything, just curious.

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

With you, 6th Street, and Limphand kicking off the thread, I’m thinking we should change the title to, “The Surly WTF are you doing questionable posting thread........”

You posted the post above where you admit you don't actually go back and watch to see what happened and yet here you are........think about that for a minute. 

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Play 1 looks like MM expected X to run a quick out on a hot read. He did not.

Play 2 looks like MM didn't even see or expect the weakside OLB to come hot. That's on him.

Murph does have to eat that sack but the play design was flawed.

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You posted the post above where you admit you don't actually go back and watch to see what happened and yet here you are........think about that for a minute. 

I thought about it for less than a minute and don’t get your point. I saw a thread posted by you and then noticed the first couple of posters. Figured it must be a gem. I’m not ashamed for using my time for things which are more productive for me, if that’s your jab.

3 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I thought about it for less than a minute and don’t get your point. I saw a thread posted by you and then noticed the first couple of posters. Figured it must be a gem. I’m not ashamed for using my time for things which are more productive for me, if that’s your jab.

My point is your opinion is invalid because you don't know what you are looking at. You don't do the homework by your own admission. Secondly, if you know what you are looking at it only takes a second to see the issues. We still have plenty of time for more productive things. Carry on.

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I didn’t even read your post. My “opinion” was a joke based on the quality of posters at the start of the thread. I’m sorry this is challenging for you to understand.

the dipshit is on the spectrum or is extremely socially awkward. He honestly thinks everyone is reading his 26 paragraph responses to every minute point someone brings up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/29/2023 at 12:59 PM, Thatguy said:

We need a catch all thread where Steve can see our disapproval on either the play call, play design, or execution. I have been accused of being a sunshine pumper when it comes to one Steve Sarkisian and his playcalling. Well, I am here to tell you that my issue with him isn't the playcalling per se but the play design/execution, or the lack there of. We are 8 games in so we kind of know who can do what, who needs to be coached up on what, and what to stay away from. Now let me preface this by saying we have scored in the 30's in every game this year, so this isn't to say we are doing a bad job overall, just sometimes we have wtf moments.

Take this clip where Murphy throws the interception. I know ultimately Murph has to learn to eat this ball but let's take a moment to look at all the dumb-fuckery on this play. There is a lot so hold on. I will put the still up then the gif so you can see how the play unfolded.

This play is dead from the start. Pay attention to BYU's defensive tackles. They have a 3-tech DT between Banks and Conner in the B-gap, and a 1 tech DT in the A-gap between Campbell and Majors. The red lines indicate what gaps they are attacking. The blue lines represent what we are asking our O-line to do. We are going to ask our gimpy center to reach the 3 tech all the way in the B-gap, our RG Campbell to reach the LB firing in the A-gap, Our RT Jones to reach the 1-tech in the A-gap, our two TEs to double team the DE, and our LG Conner is going to pull all the way around to kick out the edge blitzer. Banks has his DE and Brooks is going to chip him to slow him down. You are asking a lot of un-athletic guys to cover a lot of ground and still handle a guy close to 300lbs, hell bent on getting to the QB. What could go wrong?

mm1.thumb.png.87467899c9ddcdb7079f05cf9db86963.png

The ball is on the 41. To reach guys in other gaps you have to give ground. So by the time MM has the ball the LOS has been relocated 3 to 4 yards backwards. Everyone except Campbell and the TE double-team is losing their battle. This puts MM into panic mode and he is looking to escape. Problem is the edge blitzer is right there and Conner, having to come all the way across the formation, is taking awhile to get to him. Now everyone at the same time say WTF is Worthy doing? Worthy comes off the line looking for someone to block. Except there is no one releasing behind him. MM is looking at Worthy like he is supposed to be running a route. Worthy never looks back until the pick happens. I think MM is trying to throw this away in the direction of Worthy but never sees the guy underneath. Bigger question is why are we asking our O-line to do this? There is a better way to handle this kind of blitz if this is simple play action, and what the hell was the play call and what went wrong?

847zym.gif.0b8045892076286d718ab322c8e7f479.gif

The same thing on the goal line when MM fumbled. I am not going to draw up everyone's responsibilities because its much like the play above. The important part is we are asking Conner to come all the way across the formation and kick out the DE. It looks like we are expecting the play-action to make the DE freeze, but they aren't abiding by the rules. This is the play we ran where Worthy comes across like motion or possible jet sweep but quickly pivots for a rail route. The play was wide open, but we failed to get to the DE and he ended up causing the fumble. It's to be noted that Brooks did a horrible job blocking. He basically got out of the way.

Screenshot(471).thumb.png.af11ba71aa3e75aee7c62c19a48daee6.png

I get this is supposed to look like run and that's why we are blocking it this way but at some point we have to figure out a better way to block it. When we get down around the goal line we need to throw out the slow developing plays. Rep the hell out of a smaller section of quick hitting plays until we get good a running them and use those. I am all for being physical. We just need to commit to it.

8480we.gif.8685302ee4e3c2b984f429c10813af8e.gif

Gifs!

The only thing I hated is Sark not taking the field goals against BYU, faking a field goal with Bert against Houston, and not scoring form the 1 against OU. Honestly when you have the ball at the 1 with T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy in, just have Quinn QB sneak that shit and have Sweat and Murphy push him in. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

The only thing I hated is Sark not taking the field goals against BYU, faking a field goal with Bert against Houston, and not scoring form the 1 against OU. Honestly when you have the ball at the 1 with T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy in, just have Quinn QB sneak that shit and have Sweat and Murphy push him in. 

I don’t get why we have actual giant OL players we have recruited for several years that we dont put in for goal line situations.  If we are going to insist on trying to physical the other team why not bring in an actual jumbo oline package for short yardage situations.  Beefs up the line, run plays are an easier adjustment for young OL players and gives needed in game experience.  

Edited by GTJ1982
  • Like 2

I don’t get why we have actual giant OL players we have recruited for several years that we dont put in for goal line situations.  If we are going to insist on trying to physical the other team why not bring in an actual jumbo oline package for short yardage situations.  Beefs up the line, run plays are an easier adjustment for young OL players and gives needed in game experience.  

That’s what I don’t understand. You’ve got guys that practice blocking on the move every day. Those are the guys that should be in the backfield on stuff like that.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

...or Savion Red, even better

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I didn’t even read your post. My “opinion” was a joke based on the quality of posters at the start of the thread. I’m sorry this is challenging for you to understand.

9 hours ago, PilotsError said:

the dipshit is on the spectrum or is extremely socially awkward. He honestly thinks everyone is reading his 26 paragraph responses to every minute point someone brings up. 

Hahaha..Anytime you two fucks are in agreement on anything I know that I am dead right if I simply take the opposing view. Case in point, Pilots assessment of me being socially awkward is literally the exact opposite of what I am like. Ask @Nicole44

• Hook 'Em 1

Why Sark has any play for short yardage or goalline where he pulls the playside guard is beyond me. Just allowing a playside DE or DT, who is already looking to fire off the ball, to easily shoot the gap and blow up your play. If you want to pull a guard on goalline offense pull the backside guy and block down. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Why Sark has any play for short yardage or goalline where he pulls the playside guard is beyond me. Just allowing a playside DE or DT, who is already looking to fire off the ball, to easily shoot the gap and blow up your play. If you want to pull a guard on goalline offense pull the backside guy and block down. 

That's what Bryan Erwin said.  Starts around 11:40

The first one looks like someone/multiple someones weren't on the same page. As you said it looks like Worthy is looking for someone to block like the TE is supposed to be leaking into the flat but never does. Was it fucked from the beginning & MM didn't realize it? I feel like we would have called TO if we weren't lined up correctly so it doesn't seem like that's it. On Rewind he said it was a miscommunication but you're right in the it was fucked from the snap with what the defense ran vs. what we ran. Sometimes that happens. Maybe QE sees that front & checks to a different play or calls TO.

The second play was a great call & the defense responded exactly how you'd hope they would but Brooks didn't attack his block & MM drifted outside of the hash. Stay inside the hash while giving the hard play fake & X is racing a LB to the pylon. Looking at the replay he didn't even need to carry out the fake as much as he did because the defense bit the moment he showed the ball. The defender covering X was sold on the reverse, the S was occupied with the post, the DE sucked in enough to not impede the throw, & the LB got mixed up with the CB trying to track down X. X would have had an entire field to beat the LB & recovering CB to the pylon. It was the perfect play in the redzone & one defender beat 2 blockers while the QB turned right into him. Blaming Sark for any bit of that play is absurd.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Hahaha..Anytime you two fucks are in agreement on anything I know that I am dead right if I simply take the opposing view. Case in point, Pilots assessment of me being socially awkward is literally the exact opposite of what I am like. Ask @Nicole44

@Thatguyis a great dude. I disagree with him on some of his points about Sark but honestly he’s very cool. 

Most of the people here don’t go to any of the surly events and that’s fine. if most of y’all did you’d have a largely different perspective of the ones that do go. You’d be surprised. Well except for me…I am the same chick online as I am in person. I am not as long winded. Lol. 

• Like 2

[mention=1790]Thatguy[/mention]is a great dude. I disagree with him on some of his points about Sark but honestly he’s very cool. 

Most of the people here don’t go to any of the surly events and that’s fine. if most of y’all did you’d have a largely different perspective of the ones that do go. You’d be surprised. Well except for me…I am the same chick online as I am in person. I am not as long winded. Lol. 

I think thatguy alluded to this previously. Talk good shit whilst online but act as little flowers when in person.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

@Thatguyis a great dude. I disagree with him on some of his points about Sark but honestly he’s very cool. 

Nicole was awesome to hang with as well. Can talk football with the boys but had my wife feeling comfortable too. She was super happy you were there. Volleyball has us really busy during football season as my daughter is in the playoffs. But we will try to get back to Austin when we can. Also, I am pretty surprised these guys haven't run you off from blowing up your inbox. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I think thatguy alluded to this previously. Talk good shit whilst online but act as little flowers when in person.

@Thatguy it is a shame because if you were calling plays on 4th down and in the RZ we score more and maybe we don’t lose to OU. Instead you’re wasting his talents defending SOS “Same Old Sark’s”  48.7% TD in RZ. Sorry, I gotta stay true to my soapbox on Sark. 🤘🏼🤘🏼 lol 

Sark said in the presser he makes the call on 4th down. He makes the calls. We have an analytics book and we don’t often refer to it because CDC hired him and not a book. Those are his words and to an extent I agree. We have some execution problems and OLine is not there yet but at the end of the day he goes with his gut on those calls and what he believes is best for the team in that moment. So leaving (not kicking FGs) points didn’t matter vs BYU. It will matter later. Washington fans can tell you he’s brilliant in games and then drops inexplicable duds. It’s SOS. same Old Sark but we have a ridiculous roster that can possibly overcome it. At least he’s not Cristobal refusing to kneel in obvious winning situations. That shit is even worse than dropping a dud. Cristobal has a history of not kneeling and letting clock run out on a win. 

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Nicole was awesome to hang with as well. Can talk football with the boys but had my wife feeling comfortable too. She was super happy you were there. Volleyball has us really busy during football season as my daughter is in the playoffs. But we will try to get back to Austin when we can. Also, I am pretty surprised these guys haven't run you off from blowing up your inbox. 

Your wife is next level beautiful and she was a blast to talk to! Glad kiddo is doing awesome with the volleyball 🤘🏼

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

@Thatguy rules are rules 

She’s like Salma Hayek hot. Not kidding. She kinda reminded me of a younger Yancy Butler when she filmed DropZone. But prettier with longer hair. @Thatguy has gorgeous wife. On my hottest day I don’t eclipse her. 
she looks like the below (Yancy in Drop Zone but she’s prettier) 

IMG_7882.jpeg
At the tailgate I met @Thatguywife at people were literally walking by gawking at her. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

@Thatguy it is a shame because if you were calling plays on 4th down and in the RZ we score more and maybe we don’t lose to OU. Instead you’re wasting his talents defending SOS “Same Old Sark’s”  48.7% TD in RZ. Sorry, I gotta stay true to my soapbox on Sark. 🤘🏼🤘🏼 lol 

Sark said in the presser he makes the call on 4th down. He makes the calls. We have an analytics book and we don’t often refer to it because CDC hired him and not a book. Those are his words and to an extent I agree. We have some execution problems and OLine is not there yet but at the end of the day he goes with his gut on those calls and what he believes is best for the team in that moment. So leaving (not kicking FGs) points didn’t matter vs BYU. It will matter later. Washington fans can tell you he’s brilliant in games and then drops inexplicable duds. It’s SOS. same Old Sark but we have a ridiculous roster that can possibly overcome it. At least he’s not Cristobal refusing to kneel in obvious winning situations. That shit is even worse than dropping a dud. Cristobal has a history of not kneeling and letting clock run out on a win.

My personal opinion? All coaches have warts. You just have to assess whether or not they are livable. Nick Saban, for the longest time, wanted the shittiest, low risk offense in the world. He could've had even more NCs but that desire to play ball control at all costs cost him a few more. Riley refuses to play defense. Mack used to turtle in big games. Stoops' defenses were always over-aggressive and ended up costing him a lot of wtf games when his secondary was constantly biting on double moves. See Reggie McNeal. The list goes on.

I think Sark just likes to tinker. He will find an awesome play that works and not come back to it until the next season. He likes to building shit, and I think that he is always experimenting, even in games. He seems to be very stubborn about that, as a lot of coaches are. However, the good thing about that is that he also can recruit his way out of it. This team has three shortcomings. Interior o-line, safety, and edge rusher. If not for that we would run over everyone in the country. Been awhile since we could say that.

Your wife is next level beautiful and she was a blast to talk to! Glad kiddo is doing awesome with the volleyball 🤘🏼 

I will tell my wife you said that. It will bring a smile to her face. That kid has now made the AVCA phenom watchlist the last two years. Only roughly 2800 kids across the US make that list. I am so proud of her. She won't be able to play for Texas but she will make a roster somewhere which is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

She’s like Salma Hayek hot. Not kidding. She kinda reminded me of a younger Yancy Butler when she filmed DropZone. But prettier with longer hair. @Thatguy has gorgeous wife. On my hottest day I don’t eclipse her. 

IMG_7882.jpeg
At the tailgate I met @Thatguywife at people were literally walking by gawking at her. 

@Thatguy sounds like you're only one drunk wife away from a threesome. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

IMG_7882.jpeg

Wow! Your memory is pretty good. Her bone structure is the same as my wife's. That's crazy. Photographic memory. 

20190923_074330.jpg

20190923_074635.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Bro- CTJ, ChiTownDoc. Those guys talk shit for fun and you can tell. So you say your words and keep it moving afterwards. No harm no foul. However, some of these guys constantly insult you and then follow you around and neg all your posts. Pilotserror is that kind of guy.

48 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Then why the hell did she choose poorly?

Man if I had the answer to that I would bottle and sell it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess it’s a positive I don’t know how to view who hits a negative for my posts. I wouldn’t do that if I knew how. Maybe respond in a pissy or counter tone via post but not worth it otherwise.

There’s always room for good natured talk but there’s a ton of jackassery here too. Yet here I am.

JFC, this crap again. Lot of HOF coaches on this site.

Blacklab, alert the President. We’re surrendering our position on the internet. Apparently, only football coaches are allowed to comment on football.

His strengths - communication, football knowledge - would be enhanced by empowering a bright football mind to take the reigns.

As discussed, his gameplanning seems good. He can dial open plays. His playcalling is nothing special, but some of that has been personnel.

To add to the MM interception play, I recall the playclock was expiring and may have triggered Majors to snap when he did. Late getting playcall in and then audible was the culprit. Sark says Maalik needs to compose himself better when shit happens. It was Sark’s shit.